Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Dancing

• 79 posts
    April 30, 2016 9:08 AM PDT

Ok, I'm probably in the barely measurable minority with this, but I have always viewed dancing in MMORPG's as one of the cheesiest, most immersion-violating things ever (with the notable exception of Star Wars Galaxies, where it actually had a purpose). I noticed it in your pre-alpha video and just cringed. I would sign any petition to have it removed from the game.

• 1778 posts
    April 30, 2016 10:30 AM PDT

Well I dont have a problem with it. Its one of those fun and frivilous things. I dont care if its there or not but wouldnt bother me if it were. I would say maybe make it appropriate to the setting though. No moon walks or electric slides please lol.

• 112 posts
    April 30, 2016 11:16 AM PDT

I'm in the harmless boat.  Honestly I found it more humorous than bothersome.  Good luck with the arguement ;)

• 668 posts
    April 30, 2016 11:32 AM PDT

I am not a fan of features someone can spam over and over again to be a nuisance.  Good example is the train emote that hit numerous people in WoW.  Or the ability for a player to openly run around and burp or fart, simply ruins the immersion because it screams immaturity.

Dancing, I don't mind if it is on a timer or had extreme variation, so someone can not stand in one location all day, locked in to the emote.

• 2138 posts
    April 30, 2016 1:33 PM PDT

Like /duel, have /dance where both have to agree and the mechanic affects both- like a short duration mez.

as there is toggle for /inspect, toggle for animations? you only get the flavor text. 

• 238 posts
    April 30, 2016 1:59 PM PDT
    I agree that seeing a paladin hip thrusting or acting like they are in some kind of night club makes me think the devs are targeting a more immature demographic that gets their jollies by virtually twirking it.
    • 264 posts
    April 30, 2016 2:40 PM PDT

I don't want no Hip Thrusting Paladin "Laying Hands" on me. :)

• 176 posts
    April 30, 2016 5:16 PM PDT

Honestly I have never enjoyed the dancing. I would not throw a fit if there are silly animations but I would definitely sign your petition =)

• 79 posts
    May 1, 2016 9:12 PM PDT

Amsai said:

Well I dont have a problem with it. Its one of those fun and frivilous things. I dont care if its there or not but wouldnt bother me if it were. I would say maybe make it appropriate to the setting though. No moon walks or electric slides please lol.

Honestly, if it were all done in some kind of style consistent with the racial culture of the character, it probably wouldn't bother me at all. I've just never seen dancing in a MMORPG that didn't incorporate all sorts of goofy, theme inconsistent stuff.

• 769 posts
    May 2, 2016 5:54 AM PDT

Eh, while I agree with the points here, I'm afraid ya'll are really grasping as straws here. Expecting MMO'ers to act mature is like asking DAYBREAK to bring back EQnext.

It doesn't matter what emotes are in there, or even if there aren't any emotes at all. As long as there is a "Sit", people will still get teabagged. The point is, there is always a way to act obnoxiously immature, and that way will be found.

-Tralyan

• 801 posts
    May 2, 2016 7:18 AM PDT

I cant be bothered with dancing or emotes really, just raiding and grouping and macros to spam the guild leader....."Yo, Suck much?"

• 79 posts
    May 3, 2016 6:46 AM PDT

Tralyan said:

Eh, while I agree with the points here, I'm afraid ya'll are really grasping as straws here. Expecting MMO'ers to act mature is like asking DAYBREAK to bring back EQnext.

It doesn't matter what emotes are in there, or even if there aren't any emotes at all. As long as there is a "Sit", people will still get teabagged. The point is, there is always a way to act obnoxiously immature, and that way will be found.

-Tralyan

You're right, of course. I guess I'd just prefer that the juveniles are forced to risk sharting themselves in their attempts at silliness, rather than VR serving beans at every meal. :p

This post was edited by GeekVerve at May 3, 2016 6:46 AM PDT
    • 1095 posts
    May 5, 2016 8:01 PM PDT

GeekVerve said:

Ok, I'm probably in the barely measurable minority with this, but I have always viewed dancing in MMORPG's as one of the cheesiest, most immersion-violating things ever (with the notable exception of Star Wars Galaxies, where it actually had a purpose). I noticed it in your pre-alpha video and just cringed. I would sign any petition to have it removed from the game.

Seems like you need to be in a Single player game man because if you really think this will happened is hilarous.

Wake up, your not alone in the world, People dance man, even in Lord of the Rings.

Ultimate response to this OP is..

This post was edited by Aich at May 5, 2016 8:02 PM PDT
    • 232 posts
    May 6, 2016 8:55 AM PDT

GeekVerve said:

*snip*

....dancing in MMORPG's...

*snip*

... I would sign any petition to have it removed from the game.

Haha, I know what you mean.  In all honestly, it's not a huge deal to me.  I'm cool with dancing and other emotes for RP players, as long as they're tasteful and appropriate.  I don't RP, but I do use some emotes regularly if they're available in slash commands.  Old habits from my EQ days, I suppose.

• 79 posts
    May 6, 2016 9:03 AM PDT

Aich said:Seems like you need to be in a Single player game man because if you really think this will happened is hilarous.

Wake up, your not alone in the world, People dance man, even in Lord of the Rings.

Ultimate response to this OP is..

Who expects what to happen? I'm merely voicing an opinion, and I'm not sure how that opinion precludes my being capable of playing with other people.

Btw, I watched the LotR trilogy recently. I don't recall anybody doing the Hammer Time dance or the macarena. Maybe that was in the special Director's Cut version or something.

• 1095 posts
    May 6, 2016 9:26 AM PDT

GeekVerve said:

Who expects what to happen? I'm merely voicing an opinion, and I'm not sure how that opinion precludes my being capable of playing with other people.

Btw, I watched the LotR trilogy recently. I don't recall anybody doing the Hammer Time dance or the macarena. Maybe that was in the special Director's Cut version or something. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjmGBM2XMT0

• 613 posts
    May 6, 2016 1:35 PM PDT

I dont have a problem with dance being in the game.  It's a game first off and there has to be some levity

Ox

• 79 posts
    May 7, 2016 9:33 AM PDT

Aich said:

GeekVerve said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjmGBM2XMT0

I'm not getting your point. That dance (assuming you're pointing out Frodo) did not seem out of place in that setting at all. It wasn't directly ripped from some real life pop culture reference or anything.

• 79 posts
    May 7, 2016 9:35 AM PDT

Oxillion said:

I dont have a problem with dance being in the game.  It's a game first off and there has to be some levity

Of course I agree with you there. I just wish we didn't have to rely on pop culture references for that levity. It takes you out of the game world, which is to say it breaks immersion - at least is does for me. /shrug

• 132 posts
    May 7, 2016 12:16 PM PDT

I don't have any problem with a /dance emote/animation. What I find disturbing is that with ALL the work that needs done on this game, they wasted time making sure dancing was in the game pre pre pre apha..... 

Really? there wasn't anything More important to get done first?

• 1095 posts
    May 7, 2016 12:25 PM PDT

GeekVerve said:

I'm not getting your point. That dance (assuming you're pointing out Frodo) did not seem out of place in that setting at all. It wasn't directly ripped from some real life pop culture reference or anything. 

Oh I think I understand your point, you're saying modern dancing animations is what you dont like not dancing in general.

I was trolling you eariler because if it was all dancing then thats funny but I can I guess see dancing that dont fit into the era is what you're talking about.

I could care less either way, I woun't mind a twerking animations. Can I request that here? :)

• 2130 posts
    May 7, 2016 2:27 PM PDT

Medjai said:

I don't have any problem with a /dance emote/animation. What I find disturbing is that with ALL the work that needs done on this game, they wasted time making sure dancing was in the game pre pre pre apha..... 

Really? there wasn't anything More important to get done first?

Except workload is divided up among various different teams and you have no idea what is on a given team's plate. If an animator has nothing else to work on at a given time, emotes make a lot of sense. It's not like they're stopping world building to implement emotes, that isn't how game development works.

This post was edited by Liav at May 7, 2016 2:28 PM PDT
    • 238 posts
    May 7, 2016 2:39 PM PDT
    I think no one here is saying no dancing. We are simply suggesting that if you are spending time making animations why not make them match the style of the rest of the game.
    Again this is by no way a make or break thing just a suggestion.
    • 1095 posts
    May 7, 2016 2:53 PM PDT

As a developer my self sometimes we can't shut off creativity. Somoene may of created that in there own time or it could of been to show off the ability of future emotes.

It was the same thing as Smokejumper, George asking someone to make the /onod, due the meme i started for Omeed and his lizard nod/smile in a livestream.

This thread is just hilarous. 

Who ever created the dance, good job. Do it again, and again, and again.

• 79 posts
    May 7, 2016 4:38 PM PDT

Aich said:

It was the same thing as Smokejumper, George asking someone to make the /onod, due the meme i started for Omeed and his lizard nod/smile in a livestream.

I'm not familiar with that.

Aich said:This thread is just hilarous. 

Who ever created the dance, good job. Do it again, and again, and again.

I get it. You don't agree, and that's fine. No need to be childish.

Xonth said:I think no one here is saying no dancing. We are simply suggesting that if you are spending time making animations why not make them match the style of the rest of the game. Again this is by no way a make or break thing just a suggestion.

Exactly.