Forums » Crafting and Gathering

I hate crafting...

• 363 posts
    April 25, 2016 1:21 PM PDT

...but I like to gather raw materials for my friends/guildies so that they can craft their little hearts away. Will Pantheon have such a crafting "class", per se? One where I am more of a gatherer and can gather most (if not all) natural resources, but I can't combine them into much of anything? LOTRO had this...prospector, I think it was called...and I loved it. I hope Pantheon has something very similar.

This post was edited by Anistosoles at April 25, 2016 1:40 PM PDT
    • 130 posts
    April 27, 2016 6:06 AM PDT

I hate crafting also.

I finally did max every tradeskill my character could do for the best augmentation in EQ, though.

But I still hate crafting.  ;-)

This post was edited by Vade at April 27, 2016 6:07 AM PDT
    • 793 posts
    April 27, 2016 7:48 AM PDT

I am not really a crafter, but I have always dabbled in it in most games I have played.

I have enjoyed hunting resources during my downtime, and other time killers.

But having said that, I will say I found original EQ crafting somewhat exciting in the fact that you manually put items into the Forge/Oven/Jewlers Kit (Whatever craft it was), and there was a chance it would fail. Yes it sucked to lose the raw materials, but that was what made clicking "Combine" such a tense moment in the early going. It also provided a market for raw resources as crafters needed materials not only to make goods but to increas their skills.

In later games it seems it came down to having the resources in your backpack (and in some games even in your bank was good enough), finding the item to craft in a list and click OK. And a failure just meant you lost a combine resource (Coal, water, ect), but not the raw materials.

Recipes should not be automatically added based on skill level either, they should be found or purchased. 

• 1778 posts
    April 27, 2016 10:17 AM PDT
    Hate it. But will do it for my guild as needed. Team player and what not.
    • 428 posts
    April 27, 2016 10:21 AM PDT

I will craft it potions and such if they are useful as I hate buying thousands of potions.

• 138 posts
    April 27, 2016 3:31 PM PDT

I too, am no a big fan of crafting. Although, if there was a system that was fun and rewarding it's possible I would give it a shot.

• 2419 posts
    April 27, 2016 5:15 PM PDT

Anistosoles said:

...but I like to gather raw materials for my friends/guildies so that they can craft their little hearts away. Will Pantheon have such a crafting "class", per se? One where I am more of a gatherer and can gather most (if not all) natural resources, but I can't combine them into much of anything? LOTRO had this...prospector, I think it was called...and I loved it. I hope Pantheon has something very similar.

There is an entire forum dedicated to crafting discussions...

• 3016 posts
    May 18, 2016 4:54 PM PDT

I love gathering/harvesting, crafting...hoarding for my guild hehe.   Also love to explore and find secret places.  :)  Can't wait to test. :)

Cana

• 578 posts
    June 1, 2016 11:04 AM PDT

I don't know if there will be a 'class' or profession that will cause you to harvest resources better at the cost of not being able to craft. You should be able to do both well if you'd like. But if VG is anything to consider then you should easily be able to make harvesting sort of your own thing and be very good at it. In VG you could get your own set of harvesting gear and could harvest any and all of the resources (I think, I'm like 98% sure you weren't restricted to a specific type of resource) til your heart desired. And then you are free to do whatever you like with your materials.

• 363 posts
    August 5, 2016 2:33 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

Anistosoles said:

There is an entire forum dedicated to crafting discussions...

And there are entire forums dedicated to so many other things. Thanks!  :)

• 219 posts
    August 7, 2016 1:54 AM PDT

I haven't seen a lot on the crafting/gathering system yet, but I'll note that a lot of games have "gathering" and "crafting" professions.  For example, FF14 has 9 or so "Desciple of the Hand" classes that craft goods and 3 "Desciple of the Land" classes that gather raw materials - Miner, Botanist (lumberjack/herbalist), Fisher.  Of course, in FF14, just as with that game's combat classes, one can learn ALL classes in the game on one character and then level them up as one chooses.  WoW has a similar system, though each CHARACTER can only have their one class (and 3-4 specs) and can learn any two professions.  Additionally, FF14's crafting and gathering professions are almost more like combat classes in most games.  They actually have skills/abilities to use and minigames when you do the crafts.  So you decide to chop down a tree - you walk to it and interact with it.  Instead of your character just doing a chopping animation and then some wood being pooped into your bags, a window pops up where you can select the item on that tree you want to try to gather (with things you haven't gathered yet rendered as ? marks).  Now you can use your activated abilities (which are basically buffs for "next swing" or "next # of swings") to increase your gathering chance, yield, or quality of material (HQ - High Quality or regular).  Then you hit the chop button, and you get to get in a good 4-5 swings before the tree is done and the gathering attempt ends.  You can, of course, just run up to a tree and smack it 4 times and get whatever it gives you, but if you want a little more, the game lets you do a little more with its minigame interface.  And, the fact that all its gathering professions have stealth (though real high level mobs can see through it if you're too low level) means you aren't fighting mobs over gathering nodes unless you wanted to.  Likewise, it's crafting has a simlar system of active abilities to progress and complete the craft, trying for higher level products if you want or just punching out dozens of "normal" quality things.  It's one of the deeper crafting systems I've seen and really allows for a skilled crafter to stand out from someone just pushing buttons.

And of course, there's WoW.  In WoW, you have your seven or so crafting professions then you have two gathering professions, mining and herbalism.  You can pick any two , so if you just like gathering, you'd pick mining and herbalism.  Though if you want more, you have to utalize alts since you can learn ONLY two out of ALL crafting/gathering professions.  The twist is there are also four "extra" professions of fishing (a type of gathering gathering), first aid (which I don't know if anyone uses anymore), cooking (in FF14, Culinist is a DoH profession, in WoW it's one of the extra 4 everyone can get), and Archeology which...is for lore but I've never seen a practical use for other than getting a few rare toys or mounts.

Then there's games like Eve, where you have a few types of resource gathering - mining (ore from asteroids), ice (for isotopes for jump fuel and space station fuel), and gas/nebulae (for "boosters", basically potions.)  Then there's building, which uses Eve's somewhat complex skill tree to determine both what you can build and how efficient (in resources and in time - some builds take weeks or months for the biggest space stations and capital ships) you are at building it.  The builds are also affected by where you build them, as some space stations are set up to have bonuses to time, resource use, etc. for builds.  But, again, it's Eve, so no one expects it to not be complex.

Then there's games like Runescape which, like FF14, allowed you to learn all professions, but in which it was a total grind to max stuff out (I remember making long rows of campfires training SOMETHING, though for the life of me I can't remember what it was...)

Needless to say, while EQ's "gathering" started out as basically kill mobs for drops, that was 15+ years ago.  While Pantheon is going back to a similar time in terms of challenge and community, it seems like they'll likely be willing to pull a bit of modern ideas when it comes to gathering/crafting.  Though whether this is "put in forge, press create", "crafting minigame", or "choose from list, click create" remains to be seen.  I'm not sure they've talked about gathering yet, either, though I hope they put it in as I love gathering materials for guildies in games.  It's kind of a relaxing thing to go out and do, and is a good time sink if you don't have time to do much of anything else but want to help out on projects.