Forums » Pantheon Races

Beastman Race (progeny only)

• 308 posts
    April 8, 2016 6:21 AM PDT

I have thought of a really good thing to make me want to retire an old character. Make a Master-Race that is only available as a Progeny. my idea for this race is beastman, with the ability to go anywhere from having just beast eyes on a normal looking human to a vulmane like nearly full beast appearance at character creation (OFC this also includes the ability to just have beast ears and tail too) and the stats would be fully customizeable. Naturally there would be a minimum amount of base points in each column, but it would allow for someone to create the most minmax character possible and even allow for players to utilize a more nonstandard playstyle if it is their wish.

• 5 posts
    April 8, 2016 8:34 PM PDT

Make a master race only avalable to a cerain group of people?  Nice try Hitler.

Jokes aside, I'm not too sure about this idea and I'll explain why.  Beastmen (or any other hypothetical Progeny only race) will be limited by a choice of classes avalable to them.  The devs have stated that the benefit gained by people undergoing  Progeny will be lessened if you change the class away from the class of your parent toon.  Should you change from a class that is not avalable to beastmen, your benefit from the  Progeny system is much lessened as you have to choose a different class.  

That being said, I think this isn't a bad idea to introduce content such as expansion classes.

• 308 posts
    April 9, 2016 9:06 PM PDT

the point of the beastman race being totally customizeable is to allow for not just the nonstandard playstyle but also to allow for any class to be played by that race, this is not unprecedented as in most games (even eq and VG) humans could play any class

also i really wonder about having progeny being the same class. i know that once i manage to max out a cleric it would be really difficult for me to want to level another cleric, as such i just cant see that part of the system being any kind of good idea.

• 5 posts
    April 12, 2016 5:56 AM PDT

As to the question of progeny as a feature goes and how I feel about it, there are other well developed threads that explain how people generally disagree with the feature as it's been presented to us so I won't go into that.

So far as lore goes, a progeny character is supposed to be the son or daughter of the parent character.  Having a beastman (or any other race not identical to the parent) would imply either medical impossibilities or other things maybe not suited for this forum.  This however would be a simple fix- detach the lore aspect of the progeny character being the biological spawn of the parent character from the progeny system.  I do affirm that I think the progeny system, with some tinkering may be a stellar way to introduce new classes or races into Pantheon.  A possible lore explination may be as follows, the soul or essence of the parent character is what is transfered to the new toon instead of a direct biological lineage.  I do not however know the first thing about the lore of Pantheon and so soul and essence mumbo jumbo may be bad juju for all I know.  I point readers to the threads on this forum where we have expressed our thoughts and oppinions (grievences) with progeny as we understand it.

tl;dr, I think you have a neat idea for the introduction of new races or classes but am wary of it as it includes the progeny system that I and others believe to be imperfect. 

http://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3056/the-progeny-system-what-say-you

• 21 posts
    April 14, 2016 2:44 PM PDT

I remember people always hoped for a gnoll race, could do that.