Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Dangerous Terrain, aka Falling To Your Death

• 133 posts
    April 7, 2016 4:22 PM PDT

I used Search for variations to this theme, but I found none, so here it is.

I'd prefer the game world not to have invisible rails or other safety features. Same goes for not being able to jump off of high places without damage or death.

• 84 posts
    April 7, 2016 5:29 PM PDT

You need dangerous terrain so that temporary buffs, such as Levitation or Spirit of the Eagle have value.

• 133 posts
    April 7, 2016 6:15 PM PDT

Yep, my thoughts, too, Trustar.

• 1714 posts
    April 7, 2016 7:04 PM PDT

Zenya said:

I used Search for variations to this theme, but I found none, so here it is.

I'd prefer the game world not to have invisible rails or other safety features. Same goes for not being able to jump off of high places without damage or death.

I actually really liked safe fall on my monk. I maxed it in the 40s waiting for the boat in butcherblock one time and it was always nice to have after that. 

• 781 posts
    April 7, 2016 7:30 PM PDT

Trustar said:

You need dangerous terrain so that temporary buffs, such as Levitation or Spirit of the Eagle have value.

Exactly :) !

• 1434 posts
    April 7, 2016 9:13 PM PDT

Talk about dangerous terrain. I was thinking of how crazy dangerous it was being an erudite starting in Paineel. One false step as a newbie meant falling in the Hole and were at the mercy of some high level player to help you recover it.

• 18 posts
    April 8, 2016 3:17 AM PDT

If they don't let me fall to my death when and where I want I will cast self immolation and quit the game....

• 176 posts
    April 8, 2016 3:32 AM PDT

I agree, I like a certain level of danger. Being the tank you are many times the first person in the room, on the elevator or fighting on the edge of a cliff. As luck would have it I normally find some way to fall off and die. This is something my guild used to joke with me about for many years. If there is a hole, at some point  I will fall in it and die.

• 63 posts
    April 8, 2016 6:36 AM PDT

The journey of getting to a dungeon with fear of falling should be just as fun and exciting, with consequences.

• 556 posts
    April 8, 2016 8:03 AM PDT

Dullahan said:

Talk about dangerous terrain. I was thinking of how crazy dangerous it was being an erudite starting in Paineel. One false step as a newbie meant falling in the Hole and were at the mercy of some high level player to help you recover it.

Welcome to the reason my lowbie Erudite was deleted when I first started lol. One lag spike meant death if you were heading to town. I both hated and loved that about that area. Quite a disappointment when they added the water you could just fall into now.

• 211 posts
    April 8, 2016 3:24 PM PDT

How about running through Lavastorm Mountains with a SOW, but no levitate c(: Here comes the pain!!

• 2419 posts
    April 8, 2016 6:11 PM PDT

Gorrax said:

If they don't let me fall to my death when and where I want I will cast self immolation and quit the game....

That is only if they allow you to cast harmful spells on yourself.

• 63 posts
    April 8, 2016 8:47 PM PDT

What was the one Kunark dungeon that had a trap down the left corridor where you fell 50+ feet into the bottom of a 4-story basement? Kaesora? I had a 7-hour corpse run on a Saturday night last time I was there - we were pleading to random high-levels to come help us basically clear the dungeon to get our corpses back.

It was awesome and epic as hell.

Having dangerous terrain is what makes the game dynamic; you fall to your death a few times and pretty soon you're a veteran.

Talv

• 34 posts
    April 9, 2016 12:58 AM PDT

This is one of my pet peaves actually.  I abhor games that insist on putting up invisible walls and things that keep me from falling.  It's a lot like bumper bowling.  I definitely want Pantheon to keep this to a minimum.  Some invis. walls, after all, will most likely be necessary to prevent exploiting terrain.

Now that I've said that, there is an argument to be made for backing off of the fall damage a bit.  FFXI does not have fall damage.  Most likely this is due to the PS2 dev kit that made jumping difficult to implement, therefore it wasn't needed.  What it does have, though, are multiple layered dungeons with trap doors, hidden pitfalls, and dangerous ledges that can drop you multiple levels down at times forcing you to go through the whole dungeon again.  It's great added danger that isn't rewarded with insta-death from a cheap ass pitfall trap.  Navigating some of these requires proper planning and attention to detail.  It just wouldn't work the same with fall damage.

• 133 posts
    April 9, 2016 6:57 AM PDT

Thanks for your replies, guys! This seems to be a consensus thing; makes me a happy panda. /dance

Btw, I just read this: http://us3.campaign-archive2.com/?u=4eb4247692251348b2d00e6ab&id=eb0f2868ba .

And I quote Kilsin: "I will be creating my first character there (and likely experiencing my first death as I plummet from the trees to a dismal fate). Who’s with me? You can read all about Wild’s End here."

Awesome!

@Krixus Oh, I was so jealous of monks because of that skill!

@Dullahan and Enitzu Oh, wow yes.

@Gorrax and Wandraad We can all go to an arena and immolate eachother!

@AgentGenX *grins*

@Jamie

I hear ya! I was also a pro at finding lava. The ones of you, who played EQ, may remember those bats with a mean stun in SolB? I was pulling with my pally (Ellenya) and entered carelss mode, resulting in me standing knee deep in lava. I started to loose HP pretty quickly and the group went, "Umm, Elly, whatcha doing there?" Me, "Oh, you know, enjoying the stunning view from my soothing lava bath. Ooo, pretty colours".

@Zahlhedren Word

@Talvaris I think that was Howling Stones. Undead galore, right?

@ Wanderica Good thinking about exploitation. I liked the way EQ handled it with some pitfalls like the ones in Lower Guk, where you'd fall but wouldn't necessarily die, and then zones like Kelethin newbie falling, Howling Stones and Velks Lab where you sure could. It brings variety and another layer of suspense for me.

This post was edited by Zenya at April 9, 2016 6:59 AM PDT
    • 131 posts
    April 9, 2016 7:11 PM PDT

+1000 for dangerous terrain.  I hope they make a world that is as believable as it is possible to be, no holds barred.  

• 34 posts
    April 10, 2016 5:58 AM PDT
    Fall damage is a must!
    • 279 posts
    April 11, 2016 12:10 AM PDT

Yeah I'd like to get my cliff jumper group back together. We used to climb up tall objects as high as we dared and jump off. The idea was to survive with very low health, many deaths did happen though.

• 1468 posts
    April 11, 2016 5:31 AM PDT

Pantz said:

Yeah I'd like to get my cliff jumper group back together. We used to climb up tall objects as high as we dared and jump off. The idea was to survive with very low health, many deaths did happen though.

Heh. Sounds like a fun way to pass the time :). I hope you had a cleric bot standing ready for the needed rezzes though.

• 133 posts
    April 11, 2016 5:13 PM PDT

Yay! My kind of people!

Pantz said:

If you do that in Pantheon, I'm game :)

• 34 posts
    April 11, 2016 7:28 PM PDT

"If you can see it you can go there." Including off a cliff.

• 47 posts
    April 11, 2016 7:48 PM PDT

Zenya said:

Thanks for your replies, guys! This seems to be a consensus thing; makes me a happy panda. /dance

Btw, I just read this: http://us3.campaign-archive2.com/?u=4eb4247692251348b2d00e6ab&id=eb0f2868ba .

And I quote Kilsin: "I will be creating my first character there (and likely experiencing my first death as I plummet from the trees to a dismal fate). Who’s with me? You can read all about Wild’s End here."

Awesome!

Ha! I don't know how many times I fell to my death off of those platforms in Kelethin!

• 10 posts
    April 11, 2016 10:31 PM PDT
    The best death in kunark was seeing those megalithic wizard spires in dreadlands for the first time and thinking but one thought, "how much damage will that fall be?" Then making the leap!
    • 133 posts
    April 12, 2016 5:27 AM PDT

You people are fun! 

Kelethin, ahh yes, another name for a cliff :P . And yep, I did that falling off bit, too... it was voluntary! I swear!

Spires have "I. Must. Jump." written all over them for sure! It sucks when it dawns on you only on your way down that you're not playing your monk.... :D

• 112 posts
    April 12, 2016 5:36 AM PDT

@Vasimr, same here, cept I made a game out of it with my summoned levitate rings.  Jump off the dreadlands wiz spire and use the ring right before splatting, it was a nice little adrenaline rush until that one time splatting =/  painful death penalty sank in and I felt too foolish to even get a rez in the area with no mobs to kill you =D