Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Here is another anti-mudflation tradeskill idea

• 644 posts
    March 21, 2016 9:52 AM PDT

I floated this idea by the EQ community ages ago and was resoundingly shot down.  But, I thought it had some merit so I wanted to bring it up here.

One thing that can help siphon excess plat out of the economy is repairs. 

If you go into battle, your sword will need sharpening eventually.  Your armor will need repairs.  WoW did this but their implementation seemed annoying and punitive.  I am thinking of something much less so.  Maybe only certain big battels etcetera.  Maybe between raids, guid members can go to a merchant for repairs to prepare for the next big boss mob.  

Similarly, we could have a blacksmith repair tradeskill and someone could actually repair weapons for their guildies during battle - making tradeskills actually meaningful even during a big battle.

• 428 posts
    March 21, 2016 9:54 AM PDT

It has already been stated by Brad that they do not want item repairs.  EQ2 did this every time you wiped you lost 10 percent.  I think for my full raid gear if I broke completely I was looking at 15 plat to repiar.  It really did nothing for prices in EQ2 I still had more plat then I could use. 

• 157 posts
    March 21, 2016 9:55 AM PDT

I think it was stated that there will be no need for item repair.  Perhaps this could be a short-term buff instead?

• 70 posts
    March 21, 2016 10:21 AM PDT

fazool said:

I floated this idea by the EQ community ages ago and was resoundingly shot down.  But, I thought it had some merit so I wanted to bring it up here.

One thing that can help siphon excess plat out of the economy is repairs. 

If you go into battle, your sword will need sharpening eventually.  Your armor will need repairs.  WoW did this but their implementation seemed annoying and punitive.  I am thinking of something much less so.  Maybe only certain big battels etcetera.  Maybe between raids, guid members can go to a merchant for repairs to prepare for the next big boss mob.  

Similarly, we could have a blacksmith repair tradeskill and someone could actually repair weapons for their guildies during battle - making tradeskills actually meaningful even during a big battle.

Ya, we need tradeskills to have meaning and value.  Just paying money to have items repaired is boring and a waste of money.

I think the ability to sell repairs via going to a blacksmith/tailor/carpenter, or allowing crafters to create repair tools/deeds would be a wonderful perk for being a crafter.  A higher level crafter could of course repair much more effectively.

This post was edited by Baldrith at March 21, 2016 10:21 AM PDT
    • 176 posts
    March 21, 2016 10:34 AM PDT

Kalgore said:

It has already been stated by Brad that they do not want item repairs.  EQ2 did this every time you wiped you lost 10 percent.  I think for my full raid gear if I broke completely I was looking at 15 plat to repiar.  It really did nothing for prices in EQ2 I still had more plat then I could use. 

I agree. The further along you get the less money has any value. When everything you want is dropped what is left to spend money on? To me that is the real problem, nothing to spend your palt on. Draining a few plat from me for repairs or high price vendor items really means nothing when you have hundreds of thousands of plat. I had over 5 million plat in EQ before I moved to EQ2 if that gives you any refrence. BP patterns were selling for 200k at the time. No easy way to fix that.

• 613 posts
    March 21, 2016 11:17 AM PDT

Jamie said:

Kalgore said:

I agree. The further along you get the less money has any value. When everything you want is dropped what is left to spend money on? To me that is the real problem, nothing to spend your palt on. Draining a few plat from me for repairs or high price vendor items really means nothing when you have hundreds of thousands of plat. I had over 5 million plat in EQ before I moved to EQ2 if that gives you any refrence. BP patterns were selling for 200k at the time. No easy way to fix that.

Here is a thought. What about having a kit for repairs? Crafters could make it and at different gear types? I know Brad has put his foot down on that but it does raise another issue of consequences. You technically have none with no damage taken in a fight. I can see having to stop and repair on the spot or have a skill for it. No in game currency needed. Having to pull back after a wipe and repairs and healing.

Sorry Brad, I know its heresy I will beg for forgiveness if needed…

Ox

• 793 posts
    March 21, 2016 11:50 AM PDT

As someone else said, I'd rather see crafters increase a weapons effectivenesss, rather than repair it. This way you could choose not to partake if you so choose.

Say a Blacksmith could increase a blades sharpness or a hammers hardness, increasing that type of damage for a period of time or number of hits.

An Alchemist could increase a weapons speed or reduce it's weight for a limited time.

An Engineer or tinkerer could add an additional effect to a weapon for a period.

and so on.

All these added attributes would of course require components as well. 

But in the end, it is a players choice to use such things, in which case for daily hunting one probably would not undergo the expense, but for a raid, it could be very beneficial. I've never been a proponent of forced money sinks. Not everyone acquires coin at the same rate, or uses it in the same way, some folks are much more giving of loot while on adventure, while some loot everything for the coin it brings.

This post was edited by Fulton at March 21, 2016 11:51 AM PDT
    • 1 posts
    March 21, 2016 11:52 AM PDT

Not sure why they are against it, its a great mechanic in games I have experienced it in. Fallout 3 for one, where you cannibalized duplicate items using a repair skill to repair your weapons/armor. I think people start wailing if they think their super special item might break. Of course, you can set it up such that certain special items are not prone to wear and tear, for instance even I would not want to risk my epic breaking. But everyday items and non-special armors and weapons should take wear and tear. The mechanic encourages tradeskills, component gathering, and interaction, and adds a bit of realism. It is not designed to keep mudflation down, that is better done via other means, but I think it's a good mechanic. It adds some difficulty and down time by simulating the need to check your weapons and gear, sharpen and clean them, etc., which is a very realistic situation and is part of many games, not to mention real life. I do think that if you are lazy and take unrepaired 'ordinary' gear into lengthy combat, you should risk it breaking completely and being un-repairable.

• 176 posts
    March 21, 2016 12:08 PM PDT

They did all this in EQ2. Reapirs. Repair kits. Crafted items to increae weapon effectivness for a short time. Potions, runes, attunable items, etc. These are all cool ideas and I have nothing against any of them really except the attunable items. I like to "twink" my alts even if I never play them. I don't mind repairs and gold sinks or whatever personally, they are just minor obsticals for me. I would just say that I do not think it will make much of an impact on mudflation.

• 428 posts
    March 21, 2016 12:16 PM PDT

You will always end up having the Mudflation.  Because at some point people do not need plat.  When players hit endgame and eveyrthing they get is raided items money gets more and more useless so people like me that has more plat then need will just buy the easist to access potions spells food etc etc and not bother looking for a deal because I cant spend it fast enough.

In the End who really cares if it happens.  It doesnt devalue your gear it just changes the value of new gear hitting the market.  Personally If you can buy most gear then your gear is already devalued because anyone can get it