Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What really do you want out of future MMO's? and why?

• 801 posts
    March 16, 2016 9:48 PM PDT

I started to think of the stream, and then re kindle some of the earlier days of mmo's that ment something to us. Some of us played multigames such as FPS, MMO, RTG etc.. One of the things you always remember is the people years later, and what you did to meet those players. How later you become friends all the good things to remember years later.

But, what exactly do you want out of MMO's today? and Why? Explain to everyone what you want to see in the futue of MMO's and explain why its important to the direction.

Please tell us, and keep it civil :)

Thanks

C

• 801 posts
    March 16, 2016 10:21 PM PDT

I think today, its important we have a long line of quests. Quests are a time sync, and important enough to progress the player into the group and raiding. Sometimes skills should be aquired by quests, not only items but softcap skills, should be obtained through questing lines. If we event a quest line to matchup with the lore, it will enrich the player much more to the world around them.

Quests should not be just a simple hack and slash, but a combination of gathering, killing, puzzles, and lore. Combining them together will make it all worth while. The end result of the quest can be anything from items, softskill sets, to major bonus's applied to your character. Sometimes we can offset some of those skillsets to crafting of items and trade them off to others.

Raiding, grouping should still continue to be the #1 part of any MMO. I would like to see them evolve together and not have a focus on just one. You will have to be both in order to progress to the next level. If the grouping game has more focus, we might see a much richer enviroment then before. I dont think grouping should be the only aspect of any MMO, the end game is what most people want. They continue to evolve by raiding and grouping. If they want the best, or open the best parts of any expansion i believe raiding should still be done.

I also dont want to see nerfing of classes 5-10 years later. Where as you progress your characters, and along comes a huge cut to them because the devs forgot to balance out things early on. It feels cheap, when your enjoying your time playing. All of a sudden a massive wave of nerfs happen. You balance out 2 things, do i want to retire and quit now, or do i see what happens with all of this. Its very imporant that mmo's focus on balancing out chracters correctly and think of their initial system. We cant have devs coming in half way through a decade and start hacking and slashing our characters like that. I have seen it so many times in many different MMO's it always ends up feeling empty, or you get so fed up and retire. I hope that starts to change.

The responsible devs do not concider that we have put in all this time, and effort and money into what we have. To be told your getting cuts to balance out your characters to other characters is just wrong.

Expansions, must be complete and not shape shifted to customers so quickly. If development puts enough focus on the expansions, we should see a great turn over. Its like a movie, sometimes the next edition comes out and its better then the orginal movie, then the third then the forth all make you gag. How many times have we seen this? i am sure many times. I would rather see expansions come out much later but fully completed then cut and paste feelings. After a while you feel dull by it all. It doesnt matter how many flashy buildings the devs create, or the horrible looking NPC floating around you still feel dull by it.

Finally, i feel mmo's should be hardcore and your forced to put in many hours to get somewhere. I would not like DINGs! to be every day. Time syncs are a must, because that is what makes the MMO feel so special after many years of playing them. You want to know that its not easy to complete. We dont want people exploiting a system where you become the max level at the end of the day. We need balance, and much of that can be done by all the above mentioned thoughts.

Ill add more if i can think of it. Right now i am tired.

• 671 posts
    March 16, 2016 10:40 PM PDT

This is very simple. 

Stop playing the current MMOs, & wait for the return of MMORPG's in Pantheon, or Saga of Lucimia. (MMORPG 2.0)

• 128 posts
    March 16, 2016 11:32 PM PDT

Pretty simple for me as well. I do NOT want something else then EQ with prettier graphics and new content. That is all i want. It is the reason i started MMOs and up to today it remains the reason i keep checking on MMOs. I am just not into all the junk that has been added to modern MMOs with the "we need innovation"-excuse. 

if i would have wanted something else, i would not have played EQ. That simple for me :-)

Just imagine a football fan going all nuts "we need something to change in order for it to remain fun",... noone would do that lol. But for nsome reasons game developer think otherwise.

This post was edited by Rattenmann at March 16, 2016 11:32 PM PDT
    • 308 posts
    March 17, 2016 3:28 AM PDT

I want what we had in the beginning, a World to Explore. A real world with pitfalls and mountains. Where not everything is fair. Where you have to band together with other explorers to survive. Where Travel matters and takes some time. Where quests are difficult. (really why does the farmer need me to pick ten of the herbs right behind him?) I want to feel like the world needs Heroes!

and i also want a Deep meaningful crafting system, where ability can actually change the chances to craft a successful item. not just a /random 100 oops you got 49 so you fail.

and why? because that is what is fun. this is able to be proven by looking at all the FLOP MMOs out on the market atm. they want to call market saturation or that mmos just arent popular anymore as the reason for failure, when the reason for failure is simply bad concept or trying to spread the base too wide.

• 263 posts
    March 17, 2016 4:29 AM PDT

I will try and go as deep into detail as i can:

Yes i can understand the Hardcore EQ Player and i am one of those open minded people who would like to revolutionize the core of the game (I will break it down into subs) and here is why:

World:

I would like to see a very large world where i have to travel for a long time and discover lots of wonderfuls things. I don`t want to see it cramped down in size. It should have all the things we have come to know. Dungeons , Raids, Zones, Cities, Housing, Crafting areas all that stuff.

But here i would like it to by more dynamic. So let me start: If we have a dungeon/Instance and raid don`t just change out the Mobs to fit the situation or block off certain areas within the dungeon/instance or raid and say "Good, now we have covered Dungeons/Instance and Raid" (Like copy/paste) get creative spice it up abit.

bring life into the cities. In the City when the sun starts to rise the markets open up when it starts to dawn the start to close shop for the night. Even if they had quests or a auction house close them down and advance the way this works - Solution is right here - Normal auction house it closed and then i hear a NPC go "Psst, you there you looking to buy or sell some merchandise, follow me or go there BLACKMARKET is now there instead of the normal trademarkt.

As for Quest that certain merchants might have but the aren`t there because its dark or daytime whatever. There will always be a counter part the might lead you on an alternative path but the end result is the same.

Have travel merchants really travel within a city or the lands and have them setup shop all over the place. "Hey go to city X in the main square next to X is the quest giver is just sooooo boring outdated make us explorer and wait till its dark or day or go oh heck that merchant wasnt here before. WOW us.

Add a real weather system to the game where it could rain/snow/sunny/cold/stormy everywhere like we see in the real world. Yes in the desert it won`t snow but it could rain or a sand storm could happen. But in a forrest it could be all these things or in a city.

Oh final thought have a tavern close down and open and have events like bar fight, cards night whatever. Mini events/games. Yes let us get drunk and get into trouble. Maybe be put in prison for the night;)

A little RP here maybe aswell: Lets get married ? Let player chars really get married form familys, guild, etc like in real life (Progeny system touches this abit) My char can "retire" and i have an offspring. So why not go deeper with this to make it something unique!

I know this is a very specific thing but i think with todays technologie and the tools developers have this is the way to go. Daybreak were on the verge of going this way. And there are companys/people out there that are or were persuing doing this stuff! (Storybricks, voxelfarm as examples)

Is this a bad thing for OLD TIME EQ that it damages the core of the game?

No this would make the world feel alive and give us a much more harder longer lasting game and social bonding for years.

Quests:

I hate rinse/repeat or go to X in that zone/city etc and the quest NPC is stand X way of things nowadays. Its boring, outdated and to easy. we want it to be harder and better so....

Don`t bang in thousands of quest, rahter make quests longer lasting storylines that lead somewehre. Perosnal line/class line/race line/weapons line/spell line/crafting line etc etc quests. but at the same time make them dynamic like i sugessted above Day / Night cycle moving around only availble after "This is archieved" or after forresting books for ever or like in another thread where i went into spell specifics how to obtain them etc.

Add depth to the quest: Stop for the love of god with the "Kill 10 Rats" over and over again.  Make we kill something, then craft something, visit someone, heck make me take a rest for the night or find some guy in a bar and try to convince him to spill the beans, or travel once around the world....

Spells:

I ADDED MY POST FROM ANOTHER THREAD TO KIND OF EXPLAIN THIS:

My thoughts and ideas are the following. Lets say the warrior could optain his spells from warrior class Mobs only (and with that the relation goes for all other classes) But lets say we add a class specific consider ability that over time and skilling reveals to the Warrior the Mob Warrior fighting abilitys. These abilitys could then be "stolen/acquired/learnt" but we go abit further with this thought. So now i as a warrior have revealed my counterparts abilitys and i would very much like to be able to have that ability to. With that said what options could i have to optain these abilitys. Maybe the mob drops a dokument that sets me on a hunt/quest to find a npc or to travel to a certain place. Maybe he drops the ability that offers me a quest where i would have to optain the knowledge or gather certain things etc.

I like the idea of having to skill the spell to its max potential before it is fully learnt instead of getting an update on the spell. Why not lets say "Tier" the spell and with the skills gained over time for using that spell i unlock more abilitys that add to that spell

Lets take the Druid as an example: I acquired Root finally  "Root level 1" Now root level 1 is just what it is a root with "X amount of time holding the mob in place" now i have skilled this abit and it now does "X amount f time rooting + a debuff on the mob" and so on. Now we have maxed the skill and the spell offers me a option to become a master with that spell. I get sent on a journey (How and what this could be i will leave out for now) The Quest/Option whatever we want to call it is conected to the ability so it would be some with rooting i would have to find a Wise druid or forrest through books and on and on and once i have achieved that i can then help younglings along with their skilling

I really hate it nowadys gaining spells by level and rinse/repeat/replace.

Why not give us a set amount of abilitys/spells whatever you wanna call it and they get updated like the thoughts here instead of how we have come to be acustomed to. Go to X NPC or DING! or just plain and simple drop venture into the next generation for real.

Crafting:

Make crafting count! My goods i craft are worth something maybe a armor set i create is the basic design and the gear i collect over time can interact with what i created as a crafter. Make me have to interact with other crafters, don`t let me be able to craft everything. Make it a long learning process to obtain the rights to be a master in my crafts and yes still let crafters have value within the core of the game. They should be important and it should be a hard thing to archieve to become a valued crafter.

Let crafting be something as core of the game as adventuring. So what i mean is i can take up a career as a crafter OR adventurer or maybe find a mix if i want to CAREER CHOICES. So if i lean more to crafting i will maybe be able to own a shop or crafting store and offer my goods all over or go into trade deals with others or the game itselfs. become a supplier to my city and be rewarded with gold/fame whatever.

These are my first thoughts i will continue some later

This post was edited by Yarnila at March 17, 2016 4:36 AM PDT
    • 801 posts
    March 17, 2016 7:06 AM PDT

Hieromonk said:

This is very simple. 

Stop playing the current MMOs, & wait for the return of MMORPG's in Pantheon, or Saga of Lucimia. (MMORPG 2.0)

Truth be told, my eyes stopped playing mmos many many years ago. The only time i played a real MMO was 0-50 in EQ. The rest of the MMO's where all fluff. I never got to even try vanguard because i was in a trance, and gave up.

14 years later, and i finally retired EQ. Off and on returned, but it never was the same. Sure we had some quests and new things but it was pretty much dull after those initial "AWE" moments in the orginal EQ.

Brad, knows what i am mean... since he and his team designed it lol

• 793 posts
    March 17, 2016 8:27 AM PDT

I want a game that engages me. Not to just advance in level and acquire new cool stuff, but to adventure and explore, a world that captures my imagination, a world that draws me in and makes me feel part of it. 

I want a world that has a persona of it's own, where I desire to return to parts of the world I had explored already as if home sick for a place. I want to feel a connection to a place, and have it have meaning. I want to feel as if that place I started out as a weak level 1 newbie, is my home in this world, and I want that home to have a reason for me to return to it, not just because I need to visit my trainer, but because there is something comforing about the place.

I want to encounter other players in places, and join forces to defeat a common enemy. and I want that encounter to not be a one and done, break group and move on. I want to end my play sessions with the old phrase "Same Sandbox, Same Time" as we plan to try to meet up again the next evening to continue conquering the world created before us. And that those relationships build and grow that as we meet later in our existence, those bonds rejoin us at that new stage in our journey. 

I don't need to reach "end game" in 2 weeks. I want each day and each level to have meaning, I want to acquire gear and experiences that mean something and leave an impression.

I want a world that comes alive when I log in, and one that I am anxious to return to each night.

This post was edited by Fulton at March 17, 2016 8:28 AM PDT
    • 116 posts
    March 17, 2016 8:28 AM PDT

What do I want out of future MMO's?  Honestly I truly share Brad's vision.  I have always felt that we would 'never' see a game like Everquest 1 again.  Simply because let's face it, this is a money making venture like any other, and even though the developers want to build the games they want to play, the companies  that employ them want to make games that appeal to the largest possible fanbase.  They all want to be the next WOW with millions of subscribers.

The reality is that this crowd funded project built by people that share our collective vision was really the 'only' way a game like this was ever going to get built.  I have high hopes, however, that once it is successful that more companies will follow suit when they realize that the reason they have kept failing while building WOW clone after WOW clone is because that's not what people really want.  Sure, some of them do, but like anything else different people want different things.  The people that want WOW arlready have it... they are playing WOW.  And when they get bored with that they have 100 other games that are similiar enough to capture their interest.

What do I want?

1) Static Camps

2) Meaninful death

3) A truly deep and meaningful community of mature players

4) Difficult tactics that require teamwork and strategic planning to win.

5) No rails.. no theme park questing.  I don't want to be led by the nose through the world.  I want to make mistakes and show up in places I have no business being.  It creates a sense of wonder when you walk into a level 50 area and go splat the second you walk in :)

In short...

I want a virtual world not a game.  The problem with every MMO that has come after EQ1 is that really they are just games.  Sure, some are even fun games.  But none of them have ever really been a virtual world.  I always felt like I 'lived' in EQ1.  It meant more to me than playing a game.  Probably part of the reason people called it 'Evercrack'.  Was I addicted?  You betcha.... :)  And I hope to be again.

This post was edited by Mornroc at March 17, 2016 8:31 AM PDT
    • 219 posts
    March 17, 2016 9:32 AM PDT

Mornroc said:

In short...

I want a virtual world not a game.  The problem with every MMO that has come after EQ1 is that really they are just games.  Sure, some are even fun games.  But none of them have ever really been a virtual world.  I always felt like I 'lived' in EQ1.  It meant more to me than playing a game.  Probably part of the reason people called it 'Evercrack'.  Was I addicted?  You betcha.... :)  And I hope to be again.

I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. You are 100% correct in the fact that this is what made Evercrack great. It was truly a world you "lived in".  Pantheon will (in my hopes) pull off the greatest achievement of the MMO century and create a virtual world that millions(not sure millions was the correct wording) "lots of people"  will enjoy and share stories of 20 years from now. Pantheon certainly is headed in the right direction, far ahead of anyone else. 

I believe in order to acheive what Pantheon is trying to bring back to MMO's, it will take the whole community and not just the virtual world we live in. The world however is where it starts but it is us players that create the "TRUE WORLD". One in which people will need to be kind to one another and mean. For you cant know kindness without meaness (not that I advocate meaness). VR understands this, thus why they are creating a community based game and not a massively multiplayer solo game. 

All Hail Pantheon!

Pyde Pyper

This post was edited by Pyde at March 17, 2016 9:34 AM PDT
    • 644 posts
    March 17, 2016 9:40 AM PDT

Above anything else, I want a virtual world to live vicariously in.

Back in the early days of EQ there were editorials and commentaries asking how much time people spent in EQ and one asnwer was "play?  I don't spend some time playing in EQ.  I live in Norrath!"

It sounds like a funny sarcastic statement but it is not.  That virtual life was very real.  I'm not looking for a "game" to play.  I am looking for a virtual world to LIVE in.  In order to become that emotionally entangled (again) I need to absolutely know this world will be here for a very long time.  I don't want to dive in as deep and hard as I did with EQ1 and have the world "go away" after a year or two.

Back when my RL friends and I were playing "hardcore", we would meet at work over coffee and discuss/plan EQ.  Then we would meet in EQ during lunch, hunt a little and run EQ errands.  Then we would meet in the afternoon over break to discuss EQ.  Then every Monday, Tuesday and Friday we had a standing scheduled time where we would meet at 8:00 and play as a group until 10:30.  During all other times, we would play individually.  Personally, I played about 6-8 hours a day, every day.  Work was just "in the way" of EQ.  Much of my free time was usually spent thinking about EQ, or researching EQ things.  I know that's not a healthy family balance but that level of dedication, immersion and totally consuming "other life" is what I want again.

I will balance my life better this time, but I want that virtual life.  Not just a game.

There is a phisolophical perspective on what reality is:  Reality is whatever YOU experience.  For example, a Schizophreniac may see people that don't exist.  It is a brain-illness hallucination, but they truly did experience them.  And that was their reality.  Without someone to tell them that their reality is "wrong" they would go through their life having met that not-real person.   You can make all sorts of parallels but that one is pretty easy to use as an illustration.

So "reality" is very much what one experiences.  A consuming and all-powerful virtual world can create a separate reality.

That's what I want.

Foregoing the copyrighted placenames, I want to walk in Greater Faydark again (going back now to an empty forest is just depressing).  I want to travel the world and run into thousands of others.  I want to join that incredibly compelling guild who are devoted to each other and go through the trials and tribulations of raids together.   I want to actually *CARE* about my character.  I want to be completely obsessed with finding a random component so I can try to get one more combine skillup.  I want to be scared shitless when I get lost in some gigantic dungeon.   I want to be totally amazed when I see someplace new like Crystal Caverns for the first time.  I want to find a place where I can sit and fish while solo-ing.  I want there to be so much mystery and unknown in the world that the allure of just the possibility pushes me on.

I don't want to play a game.

I want to live my character.

This post was edited by fazool at March 17, 2016 9:42 AM PDT
    • 644 posts
    March 17, 2016 9:48 AM PDT

Pyde said:

Exactly

Mornroc said:

I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. You are 100% correct in the fact that this is what made Evercrack great. It was truly a world you "lived in".  Pantheon will (in my hopes) pull off the greatest achievement of the MMO century and create a virtual world that millions(not sure millions was the correct wording) "lots of people"  will enjoy and share stories of 20 years from now. 

We have memories and if we imagine ourselves (hopefully not until our very old age) on our death bed reminiscing, they say that your formative years are always seen as the "best years of your life".  Most commonly this is written as one's college years, when you formed your lifelong friendships, were forging your own path, exploring infinite possibilies but not saddled with real-world responsibilities yet.   And that is true for me, as well.  But five solid years of my life were 100% dedicated to living in Norrath.  20 years from now, I will still be thinking and talking about that.

I want Pantheon to be the next chapter.

• 70 posts
    March 17, 2016 10:04 AM PDT

I like a game where there is always something to do.  A goal to achieve.  Not a game all about levels and progression, but a game about deep character development.  Rewards that are not just the same old gold or better gear, but perhaps a new secret recipe, or a map to a place which holds danger/awe/ and excitement.

I love a deep crafting system that challenges my character.  If I fail, perhaps the whole project explodes and kills me.  If I succeed, I perhaps discover something that has never been made before.  I have the ability to be a part of what I'm doing, not just RNG, not just click/done crafting and harvesting.  Please there is already too much of that!

I love to be able to adventure alone, or with groups of friends.  A man has gotta know his limitations as Clint would say, but the exploration to find those limitations is part of the journey and part of growing and developing a character!

I love to build and housing and ships like Vanguard allowed us to do.  Needing many months of harvesting, crafting perhaps trading with people to get some pieces for my big boat project.  I remember spending many months on my house.  The acomplishment of that was so real.  But the house itself was pretty lousy, so I would hope for a better depth in decorating systems and a benefit for having a home aside from just looking at it :)

I love the ability to be a pure mage and develop my knowledge and power gradually (not in 1 week).  I love to form great friendships in the game.  People who I can quest with and people who I can just enjoy hanging out with.  Perhaps some great musical instruments to play the game without all combat.  I love other things to do as well for when I just feel like relaxing with my character and friends.

A sandbox is important.  Invisible walls are boring.  A small world is boring.  Gated levels are boring.  A vast variety of creatures is important.  Everchanging weather which makes a difference in our world would be great as well.  Watching a thunderstorm, feeling the wind on my back.  So much could be in this world to make it spectacular.

Those are just a few of the things I want in an MMO.

• 2138 posts
    March 17, 2016 5:19 PM PDT

Yarnila said:

World:

bring life into the cities. In the City when the sun starts to rise the markets open up when it starts to dawn the start to close shop for the night. Even if they had quests or a auction house close them down and advance the way this works - Solution is right here - Normal auction house it closed and then i hear a NPC go "Psst, you there you looking to buy or sell some merchandise, follow me or go there BLACKMARKET is now there instead of the normal trademarkt.

As for Quest that certain merchants might have but the aren`t there because its dark or daytime whatever. There will always be a counter part the might lead you on an alternative path but the end result is the same.

Have travel merchants really travel within a city or the lands and have them setup shop all over the place. "Hey go to city X in the main square next to X is the quest giver is just sooooo boring outdated make us explorer and wait till its dark or day or go oh heck that merchant wasnt here before. WOW us.

Add a real weather system to the game where it could rain/snow/sunny/cold/stormy everywhere like we see in the real world. Yes in the desert it won`t snow but it could rain or a sand storm could happen. But in a forrest it could be all these things or in a city.

Oh final thought have a tavern close down and open and have events like bar fight, cards night whatever. Mini events/games. Yes let us get drunk and get into trouble. Maybe be put in prison for the night;)

A little RP here maybe aswell: Lets get married ? Let player chars really get married form familys, guild, etc like in real life (Progeny system touches this abit) My char can "retire" and i have an offspring. So why not go deeper with this to make it something unique!

I know this is a very specific thing but i think with todays technologie and the tools developers have this is the way to go. Daybreak were on the verge of going this way. And there are companys/people out there that are or were persuing doing this stuff! (Storybricks, voxelfarm as examples)

Is this a bad thing for OLD TIME EQ that it damages the core of the game?

No this would make the world feel alive and give us a much more harder longer lasting game and social bonding for years.

Quests:

Don`t bang in thousands of quest, rahter make quests longer lasting storylines that lead somewehre. Perosnal line/class line/race line/weapons line/spell line/crafting line etc etc quests. but at the same time make them dynamic like i sugessted above Day / Night cycle moving around only availble after "This is archieved" or after forresting books for ever or like in another thread where i went into spell specifics how to obtain them etc.

Add depth to the quest: Stop for the love of god with the "Kill 10 Rats" over and over again.  Make we kill something, then craft something, visit someone, heck make me take a rest for the night or find some guy in a bar and try to convince him to spill the beans, or travel once around the world....

Spells:

I ADDED MY POST FROM ANOTHER THREAD TO KIND OF EXPLAIN THIS:

My thoughts and ideas are the following. Lets say the warrior could optain his spells from warrior class Mobs only (and with that the relation goes for all other classes) But lets say we add a class specific consider ability that over time and skilling reveals to the Warrior the Mob Warrior fighting abilitys. These abilitys could then be "stolen/acquired/learnt" but we go abit further with this thought. So now i as a warrior have revealed my counterparts abilitys and i would very much like to be able to have that ability to. With that said what options could i have to optain these abilitys. Maybe the mob drops a dokument that sets me on a hunt/quest to find a npc or to travel to a certain place. Maybe he drops the ability that offers me a quest where i would have to optain the knowledge or gather certain things etc.

I like the idea of having to skill the spell to its max potential before it is fully learnt instead of getting an update on the spell. Why not lets say "Tier" the spell and with the skills gained over time for using that spell i unlock more abilitys that add to that spell

Lets take the Druid as an example: I acquired Root finally  "Root level 1" Now root level 1 is just what it is a root with "X amount of time holding the mob in place" now i have skilled this abit and it now does "X amount f time rooting + a debuff on the mob" and so on. Now we have maxed the skill and the spell offers me a option to become a master with that spell. I get sent on a journey (How and what this could be i will leave out for now) The Quest/Option whatever we want to call it is conected to the ability so it would be some with rooting i would have to find a Wise druid or forrest through books and on and on and once i have achieved that i can then help younglings along with their skilling

I really hate it nowadys gaining spells by level and rinse/repeat/replace.

Why not give us a set amount of abilitys/spells whatever you wanna call it and they get updated like the thoughts here instead of how we have come to be acustomed to. Go to X NPC or DING! or just plain and simple drop venture into the next generation for real.

Crafting:

Make crafting count! My goods i craft are worth something maybe a armor set i create is the basic design and the gear i collect over time can interact with what i created as a crafter. Make me have to interact with other crafters, don`t let me be able to craft everything. Make it a long learning process to obtain the rights to be a master in my crafts and yes still let crafters have value within the core of the game. They should be important and it should be a hard thing to archieve to become a valued crafter.

Let crafting be something as core of the game as adventuring. So what i mean is i can take up a career as a crafter OR adventurer or maybe find a mix if i want to CAREER CHOICES. So if i lean more to crafting i will maybe be able to own a shop or crafting store and offer my goods all over or go into trade deals with others or the game itselfs. become a supplier to my city and be rewarded with gold/fame whatever.

These are my first thoughts i will continue some later

I really like the blackmarket idea, and I had a similar idea of a travelling band of Gypsies that were merchants but hard to get faction with and sold things that you were not sure what they did or offered untill you bought it, good or bad, and they never had the same items twice.

I was going to say some other stuff, but you covered it . :)

• 1714 posts
    March 17, 2016 5:32 PM PDT

fazool said:

Pyde said:

Exactly

Mornroc said:

I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. You are 100% correct in the fact that this is what made Evercrack great. It was truly a world you "lived in".  Pantheon will (in my hopes) pull off the greatest achievement of the MMO century and create a virtual world that millions(not sure millions was the correct wording) "lots of people"  will enjoy and share stories of 20 years from now. 

We have memories and if we imagine ourselves (hopefully not until our very old age) on our death bed reminiscing, they say that your formative years are always seen as the "best years of your life".  Most commonly this is written as one's college years, when you formed your lifelong friendships, were forging your own path, exploring infinite possibilies but not saddled with real-world responsibilities yet.   And that is true for me, as well.  But five solid years of my life were 100% dedicated to living in Norrath.  20 years from now, I will still be thinking and talking about that.

I can't say how happy it makes me to see posts like these. 

• 157 posts
    March 17, 2016 6:09 PM PDT

Krixus said:

fazool said:

Pyde said:

Exactly

Mornroc said:

I can't say how happy it makes me to see posts like these. 

good stuff!

• 220 posts
    March 17, 2016 6:28 PM PDT

Ah! my perfect MMO

Level is meaningless. A pure system of AA, self defined paths and ability unlocks.  Chosing one path will lock another.  I am also so very tired of being artificially blocked from exploring by monsters that have no worldly business guarding the weakling orc caves in a newbie zone. 

Quests defined and designed by the players.  I can create a quest giver in a city that awards my own coin for wolf pelts, for instance.  Or I can design a long epic quest and submit it for approval/tweaking by devs to be included in games.

My story can be told to those that wish to hear it.  Lore books I can drop or near and dear items can be given to a mob for others to fight over and obtain. My living codex is just that, it evolves with me based on my alignment and unlocks quests/ activities depending on my characters actions.

A world BUILT by the players.  Art assest chosen by the Devs, location, implementation, level design chosen by the community through community engagement.  The servers architect would place building plans, and the server would be charged with gathering, crafting, digging, and execution of the plan.  Should the server be unhappy, they would simply ignore the architect and the honor would get passed to someone else.  

I guess what I am saying, is Freedom. Freedom from all constructs designed to tell me how I should play, when I should play, and that endgame is the ultimate goal.  Is death REALLY the ultimate goal of life? I offer you an alternative.  Lasting legacy.

• 116 posts
    March 17, 2016 7:02 PM PDT

Larr said:

Quests defined and designed by the players.  I can create a quest giver in a city that awards my own coin for wolf pelts, for instance.  Or I can design a long epic quest and submit it for approval/tweaking by devs to be included in games.

Interesting idea.  It would be nice to be able to offer my own 'quests' or 'bounties'.  Maybe to a tavern guy or guild hall or something?  +1

On a similiar topic I am personally a huge fan of the EC tunnel in EQ1.  I loved how organic it felt for the players to create their own swap meat without the game's interference with auction houses.  The AH's in other games always made item values deflate super fast because there were 1000 other people selling the same item that you had to compete with and since it's not really a true economy because other factors like quality don't come into play it's impossible to compete creating an ever downward spiral in value.  I guess in a world like that you would just have to shout out that you were buying pelts.

On the other hand I do think there are systems that could be used to 'augment' the natural and organic creation of auction areas.  For example a trade mode.  Or even like the old UO you could 'hire' vendor's that would sell your stuff for you.  You had to pay upkeep for the guy to stand there on your behalf.  I'd rather see something along those lines than I would a full blown auction house.  But I think the vendor you hire should charge a flat rate in addition to a commission.... this way you couldn't just hire one and only have to worry about costs if you sold something.  if you aren't selling then it becomes a money sink :)  Create some more dynamics.

The other part that UO got right was that because vendor's were actual in game placements there were 'good locations' and 'bad locations'.  Like in the real world location was important to how well your vendor did.  So was word of mouth and return business.  Ensuring your vendor was well stocked kept people coming back for return business and encouraged word of mouth as players realized your vendor was always well stocked.

• 801 posts
    March 19, 2016 10:49 AM PDT

Awesome, looking like this thread got off to a good start. Sorry i was away for abit, had to redo the networking in my office and was unable to get online.