Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Designing a Raid Encounter

• 87 posts
    March 15, 2016 8:10 PM PDT

I've been thinking about designing a raid encounter, but I don't want to post it here in the forums for everyone to learn the strats from ;) Is there anyone on the Pantheon team who would be interested in looking at player made raid encounters? I want to make an Enchanter raid boss fight. I don't recall seeing very many of them in EQ or VG. Thanks :)

• 1468 posts
    March 15, 2016 8:15 PM PDT

Keiiek said:

I've been thinking about designing a raid encounter, but I don't want to post it here in the forums for everyone to learn the strats from ;) Is there anyone on the Pantheon team who would be interested in looking at player made raid encounters? I want to make an Enchanter raid boss fight. I don't recall seeing very many of them in EQ or VG. Thanks :)

I was under the impression that designing a raid encounter was restricted to those who had pledged at a certain level. It would be pretty unfair to those that had pledged at that level if they also took "free" raid designs from people who hadn't pledged at that level. For instance if you want to design a raid now and haven't pledged it'll cost you $10,000.

Of course if you have pledged at the appropriate level I am sure they will get in touch with you at some point to go over it all.

• 95 posts
    March 15, 2016 8:30 PM PDT

If you have good ideas, then share them. They can take the ideas and morph them and change them to avoid spoilers ruining the encounter.  

A little of ability A used on this boss, a little of ability B on another, etc!

This post was edited by Janthu at March 15, 2016 8:34 PM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    March 15, 2016 8:41 PM PDT

We actually have a CHampion's subforum for that, those that pay for higher access ($14.95/mo or Champion pledges) get to theory craft with the team and share ideas (as do the VIPs in their own exclusive subforum), many have already been suggested here: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/29/expanding-pantheon-post-launch-features-mechanics-amp-tenets (You cannot see this page if you are not a Champion or VIP member as it is permission based)

We also have a limited few who will be able to hand craft an encounter with the team but as mentioned by Crom, they are the highest levels of pledges only.

We do take general suggestions for things like this but if it is posted in the general section way before we get to that part of development, it may be lost in pages of other idea's, which is why it is best to post in Champion's for the more feature/mechanic side of things.

The Champion forums haven't been used much lately and this is the perfect example of something that would get a great discussion going in them! ;)

• 511 posts
    March 15, 2016 8:45 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

We actually have a CHampion's subforum for that, those that pay for higher access ($14.95/mo or Champion pledges) get to theory craft with the team and share ideas (as do the VIPs in their own exclusive subforum), many have already been suggested here: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/29/expanding-pantheon-post-launch-features-mechanics-amp-tenets (You cannot see this page if you are not a Champion or VIP member as it is permission based)

We also have a limited few who will be able to hand craft an encounter with the team but as mentioned by Crom, they are the highest levels of pledges only.

We do take general suggestions for things like this but if it is posted in the general section way before we get to that part of development, it may be lost in pages of other idea's, which is why it is best to post in Champion's for the more feature/mechanic side of things.

The Champion forums haven't been used much lately and this is the perfect example of something that would get a great discussion going in them! ;)

Great post Crusher of Dreams! :D

• 1468 posts
    March 15, 2016 8:56 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Oh I didn't know about that. I always tend to try and post in the general section because it gets more views but I'll keep my eyes on the champion forums more often now. Thanks for that.

• 9115 posts
    March 15, 2016 9:05 PM PDT

Dreconic said:

Kilsin said:

Great post Crusher of Dreams! :D

Crushing a few dreams to make others' come true since 2014! haha ;)

• 9115 posts
    March 15, 2016 9:09 PM PDT

Cromulent said:

Kilsin said:

Oh I didn't know about that. I always tend to try and post in the general section because it gets more views but I'll keep my eyes on the champion forums more often now. Thanks for that.

Don't worry man, a lot of people share the same thought and post in General for the same reason but General is more public views, Champion/VIP is more Developer views, so you pick which one you want more of and go with it, some like the community interaction and ideas more, others want more specific dev feedback and the latter is a paid privilege :)

• 87 posts
    March 15, 2016 9:16 PM PDT

Yeah, forgot about that being a pledge item. Dagnabbit.

• 383 posts
    March 15, 2016 10:12 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Crushing a few dreams to make others' come true since 2014! haha ;)

Win! :) 

• 844 posts
    March 16, 2016 2:06 AM PDT

The learning of the raid encounter, and subsequent breakdown of the strategy will of course will naturally occur.

What will make it a good encounter is the balancing of difficulty. In a well designed/balanced raid, just not a scrub pug will be able to defeat the boss, even if they know the tactics. It will require players that understand their classes very well and are exceptionally geared. And then, good raid management and execution are required as well. And even then, it should be still very difficult, with even the best groups failing 50% of the time initially.

This is how it was in Vanguard. Thus why after a year of flying mounts being available in game, only a handful of players from an elite raid hardened guild had them. The raid encounters were complex, very difficult, required expert class players, with top of the line gear, and then raid execution of an almost militaristic coordination.

But alas, as soon as grindable gear came into the world, skill went out the window.

• 9115 posts
    March 16, 2016 2:19 AM PDT

zewtastic said:

The learning of the raid encounter, and subsequent breakdown of the strategy will of course will naturally occur.

What will make it a good encounter is the balancing of difficulty. In a well designed/balanced raid, just not a scrub pug will be able to defeat the boss, even if they know the tactics. It will require players that understand their classes very well and are exceptionally geared. And then, good raid management and execution are required as well. And even then, it should be still very difficult, with even the best groups failing 50% of the time initially.

This is how it was in Vanguard. Thus why after a year of flying mounts being available in game, only a handful of players from an elite raid hardened guild had them. The raid encounters were complex, very difficult, required expert class players, with top of the line gear, and then raid execution of an almost militaristic coordination.

But alas, as soon as grindable gear came into the world, skill went out the window.

It was a sad day, Zew, it ruined a lot of things man and was only the tip of the iceberg :(