Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Make stats hugely important

• 644 posts
    March 15, 2016 12:41 PM PDT

I was thinking about the enchanter class (I played a Chanter main for a long time and was the first SOE class correspondent).  One of the things I remember so very well was working on finding CHA gear and the fun challenge of selecting and pursuing these things.  After a while, it seemed like stats just sort of "dissolved".  I had more compelling fun working on these because I needed to back in the day.

I hope Protf makes these things REALLY matter.

• 23 posts
    March 15, 2016 12:51 PM PDT

One of the things that I would love to see, and don't recall having seen in any MMO is having the stats affect the appearance of characters. ..sure in some console games, but not in an MMO. Having strength increase muscle definition for example. Stamina increase size ....things like that. Not huge appearance changes of course, but some sort of influence there would be pretty cool.

• 89 posts
    March 15, 2016 12:55 PM PDT

Going with the enchanter example I think it's important to include secondary stats in character builds.  With the enchanter the main stats were INT, STA, and CHA so there was rarely a single item you were going to find that had all 3.  Because of that you had to consider how much of one stat you might give up to raise another.  You might even have banked an item along the way with higher INT but a lower value for another stat that you could now equip if you equipped some new piece of gear you just found that would balance out another of your primary/secondary stats.  And then situationally you might choose to forgo INT completely and just equip STA and CHA.

Situational resist gear was another story altogether and you might end up losing +HP or +MANA rings to equip your Blue Diamond rings and gain MR and various other resists. 

Point being there was rarely any single item that was a 100% upgrade which made you really consider your gear choices late game.

This post was edited by ArchMageSalamar at March 15, 2016 12:57 PM PDT
    • 52 posts
    March 15, 2016 1:04 PM PDT

I'd like to see stats meaningful but I don't want to see frequent gear upgrades... It was cool that there were items that could be obtained in the 20-30's in EQ that were still a viable option at level 50.   

• 23 posts
    March 15, 2016 1:13 PM PDT

Am still new to posting and tracking forums, so apologies if this is a dumb question, but is there anywhere information has been released on gear to-date? I think I saw somewhere mentioned that if you see the sword while fighting, you will be able to loot the sword.

Am curious if there will be constant gear upgrades, periodic upgrades, or a system in which you can enhance a current gear piece (if you like it) by either breaking down or "merging" gear pieces somehow to an existing piece.

• 52 posts
    March 15, 2016 1:20 PM PDT

Abiyram said:

Am still new to posting and tracking forums, so apologies if this is a dumb question, but is there anywhere information has been released on gear to-date? I think I saw somewhere mentioned that if you see the sword while fighting, you will be able to loot the sword.

Am curious if there will be constant gear upgrades, periodic upgrades, or a system in which you can enhance a current gear piece (if you like it) by either breaking down or "merging" gear pieces somehow to an existing piece.

The FAQ has good info on this.

What is your philosophy on item proliferation and drops?
    Our desire to bring back the value and personality of items drives our item design. This means that the frequency of upgrades will be slower and when you do get a new piece of gear not only will the experience be memorable but so will the item. We want you to collect your items and be able to remember their names. When you get that epic item or rare drop after an incredible dungeon crawl, we want you to be in awe of what you have accomplished and the reward that came from it. Items will be memorable, deserved, cherished, and desired.
    There will also be many ‘situational’ items. Please see The Pantheon Difference.

• 644 posts
    March 15, 2016 1:47 PM PDT

ArchMageSalamar said:...there was rarely a single item you were going to find that had all 3.  Because of that you had to consider how much of one stat you might give up to raise another.  You might even have banked an item along the way ...And then situationally you might choose to forgo INT completely and just equip STA and CHA.

Situational resist gear was another story altogether and you might end up losing +HP or +MANA rings to equip your Blue Diamond rings and gain MR and various other resists. 

Point being there was rarely any single item that was a 100% upgrade which made you really consider your gear choices late game.

Agreed and I loved that part of the game.  At one point I had anoutfit of CHA gear for when I was charming, and another of INT gear when I was CC-ing and grouping

• 47 posts
    March 15, 2016 2:03 PM PDT

fazool said:

I was thinking about the enchanter class (I played a Chanter main for a long time and was the first SOE class correspondent).  One of the things I remember so very well was working on finding CHA gear and the fun challenge of selecting and pursuing these things.  After a while, it seemed like stats just sort of "dissolved".  I had more compelling fun working on these because I needed to back in the day.

I hope Protf makes these things REALLY matter.

I completely agree with this. Make stats important and not like in most other MMOs.

When you are at it. Make also so no weapon has same DPS and no armor has same armor class, so there is always a better weapon or armor to be found as in EQ. :) Also make the loot table for mobs be quite small and avoid drop rates less than 10% (I really dislike when objects like in WoW has 0.1% or less drop rate chance lol). Otherwise our bags will be full of junk as in WoW which we all the time must sell.

• 1778 posts
    March 15, 2016 2:12 PM PDT
    If Im not reading too much into this I believe Pantheon will have 2 levels of deeper gear progression. Atmosphere and "Subrole". In other words situatuonal gear for a given atmosphere with the posibility of it breaking down further to have for instance the cha or int gear. I dont know that to be the case but it seems likely unless stats are really simple....... which I hope not.

And while I think class knowledge and knowing the enemy and synergy with party members is important. Im in favor of stats (and gear) being king.Its an rpg afterall.
    • 1468 posts
    March 15, 2016 4:26 PM PDT

I'd love to see stats really matter in this game. Towards the end of the game in EQ you could pretty much max out every stat there was with just junk loot. That kinda ruined the game for me because there was no need to desire items except for if it had more HP, Mana and AC possible other secondary ratings such as ATK etc depending on your class. It would just be cool for stats to matter no matter if you are level 1 and have just started or if you are level 50 and in a top end raiding guild. Stats should always matter and choosing gear should not be an easy decision. There should always be plenty of options out there for you to choose from depending on what you are doing at that particular time.

• 220 posts
    March 15, 2016 6:27 PM PDT

Agreed! I also hope stats boosters are rare, such that it would take months to years to max out a single stat by sacrificing others.  I get the feeling, with mana climates, and situational gear, that min/maxing stats won't be the most effective strategy and that it would benefit you to add secondary stats whenever possible.  We will see, though. There is a long way to go before the final decision is made on itemization i bet.