Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Crafting like SWG

• 19 posts
    March 10, 2016 7:26 AM PST

Any chance we could get Crafting like it was in SWG?  What I mean by that is I was a skilled Rocket Launcher maker on my server.  I knew how to take different materials that had different stats and make them into the best components which mage the best rocket launchers.  Crafting became its own niche in SWG and people loved to spend hours doing nothing but crafting and gathering because how indepth it was.  It would be nice to see that level of crafting because what I know about Vangrauds crafting is that it was very much like FFXIV crafting.  The problem is they are not as indepth when it comes to crafting as SWG was.  

• 613 posts
    March 14, 2016 2:46 PM PDT

I would agree SWG was insane.  Hours indeed!  I recall the Vanguard in beta and post was pretty good.  Good interaction and still had some depth at that time.  I also agree it need to have materails depth.  Most games are now broken down to 6 metals and you click a button and there you go.  Not fun imho.  I am hoping we get a crafting system worthy of the game.  It should be a major part of the game.  Recipies and trade items fall under this too.  Make it ingaging and it takes time to master. 

Ox

• 69 posts
    March 16, 2016 10:41 PM PDT

*agreed* Oh yes, I loved bio-engineering in SWG - good stuff.

• 271 posts
    March 17, 2016 5:07 AM PDT

As always, no offense meant! If this was in the 'Off Topic' section, i would probably be contributing myself! But.. Pre or post NGE, CU, or your point of preference, crafting in SWG was and remained a mechanic designed with 'Sandbox' in mind.. Both the complexity and the outcome potential where there for a reason :)

While i too miss it (and so, so many other factors, systems, et al.), you do i hope understand how it would simply be unfeasible in Pantheon? You cannot shoehorn an open-ended, best in value, dynamic system in a strictly PvE proggression game; might as well take the raids out; and then the camping; and then the gear 'tiers' altogether.. yeah?

Again, no offense meant. Do not shoot!

This post was edited by Aenra at March 17, 2016 5:09 AM PDT
    • 34 posts
    March 21, 2016 9:25 AM PDT

I don't reply much here.  In fact this is my first post, but I have some thoughts on this and need to share.  First, I loved Pre-CU SWG.  It was my jam.  I agree that its crafting system was unmatched before or since (even if some have come close).  Two crafters could craft the same exact item and get two completely different results.  This meant that I could spend, literally, an entire play session roaming from shop to shop looking for the perfect weapon.  Usually though, I ended up at Vast's Weapon Emporium on Corellia.  Strange how I still remember that. 

Anyway, I'm getting off topic.  I'm not sure how well that system could work in Pantheon.  Material quality was what made it so robust and unique, but it was SO much more.  Item decay, no mob drops, and the inability to be self sufficient (without multiple accounts) all played into that as well.  While we could get item quality, and even random quality shifts like we had in SWG, we certainly won't get the other three which were essential to SWG's crafting system.  What I would like to see borrowed from that game for Pantheon is the variability in items created.  Not just in random stats, mind you, but give / take type system based on material quality that allows crafters to create and save specific recipes for production. 

The type of leather used to bind the hilt of a longsword, for example, might allow up to +2 to +10 points for Agility, Stamina, or a combination of both depending on resource quality.  Gatherer's that dedicate themselves to seeking out the best quality resources will, naturally, stock up on the highest quality resources when they find it.  That high quality leather allowing +10 to stats might not show up again for months making it extremely valuable.  When it's used in a recipe that is coupled with the same high quality ore, one can create very desired, but very rare, high quality items.  Only the most dedicated crafters and gatherers would be able to make these items though.  I think rarity is the key here though.  Guilds have a way to stockpile things to gear new players, crafters can make names for themselves as "the best," and it adds a "player driven" element to a gear based game.  As for actually making the items themselves, I'm not too hard to please in that area.  Just please, for the love of all, anything but pounding my fist for 3 seconds while a sword magically shows up in my bag.

• 27 posts
    March 21, 2016 6:46 PM PDT

Wanderica said:

I don't reply much here.  In fact this is my first post, but I have some thoughts on this and need to share.  First, I loved Pre-CU SWG.  It was my jam.  I agree that its crafting system was unmatched before or since (even if some have come close).  Two crafters could craft the same exact item and get two completely different results.  This meant that I could spend, literally, an entire play session roaming from shop to shop looking for the perfect weapon.  Usually though, I ended up at Vast's Weapon Emporium on Corellia.  Strange how I still remember that. 

Anyway, I'm getting off topic.  I'm not sure how well that system could work in Pantheon.  Material quality was what made it so robust and unique, but it was SO much more.  Item decay, no mob drops, and the inability to be self sufficient (without multiple accounts) all played into that as well.  While we could get item quality, and even random quality shifts like we had in SWG, we certainly won't get the other three which were essential to SWG's crafting system.  What I would like to see borrowed from that game for Pantheon is the variability in items created.  Not just in random stats, mind you, but give / take type system based on material quality that allows crafters to create and save specific recipes for production. 

The type of leather used to bind the hilt of a longsword, for example, might allow up to +2 to +10 points for Agility, Stamina, or a combination of both depending on resource quality.  Gatherer's that dedicate themselves to seeking out the best quality resources will, naturally, stock up on the highest quality resources when they find it.  That high quality leather allowing +10 to stats might not show up again for months making it extremely valuable.  When it's used in a recipe that is coupled with the same high quality ore, one can create very desired, but very rare, high quality items.  Only the most dedicated crafters and gatherers would be able to make these items though.  I think rarity is the key here though.  Guilds have a way to stockpile things to gear new players, crafters can make names for themselves as "the best," and it adds a "player driven" element to a gear based game.  As for actually making the items themselves, I'm not too hard to please in that area.  Just please, for the love of all, anything but pounding my fist for 3 seconds while a sword magically shows up in my bag.

I loved the SWG system, including the materials that could be mined out of existence idea.  Harvester machines don't really fit in the Lore here, but the SWG ideas are always a good place to start. 

• 84 posts
    April 8, 2016 3:38 PM PDT

The Star Wars Galaxies' crafting system was fantastic.  Would love to see some of that goodness in Pantheon.

• 211 posts
    April 8, 2016 8:10 PM PDT

I'm not a crafter, but in another thread asking what ideas from other games you'd like to see in Pantheon, I said I'd like to see SWG's resource gathering with different qualities of the same resource. Out in the field I was constantly surveying to find high quality stuff my guild was looking for, and I certainly appreciated high quality weapons that were not common. Crafters were valued in SWG.

• 68 posts
    April 17, 2016 12:02 PM PDT

Trustar said:

The Star Wars Galaxies' crafting system was fantastic.  Would love to see some of that goodness in Pantheon.

I love the discussion on other great MMO crafting systems.  Eventually, I would love to see that complexity/detailed system that rivals most end game drops.  

• 53 posts
    April 26, 2016 1:21 PM PDT

Guys it does not have to be the same system but something close and something complex thats what I think people are pulling for here. I do not think anyone is looking for the "same" system.

Im a big proponent that the best items should drop off the highest raid or boss mobs, however, there is no reason those mobs can't also drop very rare sought after components for crafting. The reason I say that is because the same reason adventurers and combat players long for great complex fighting, dungens and exploration crafters also long for the day that their game does not end and they are mindlessly crafting the same items over and over. They need something to break that monotonous task as well.

We know a few of the developers had a hand in SWG so Im sure in some way they are influenced by that. As much as we loved it they should and hopefully will take notice because the crafter is just as important for the life blood of a game as any other character .

I would love to see the Dev's offer a response here because Im sure they are taking this important feature very seriously

This post was edited by Crypton at April 26, 2016 1:22 PM PDT
    • 613 posts
    April 28, 2016 11:04 AM PDT

SWG was the largest system in scope I have encountered. LotRO had a good one. I think it was a close third to Vanguard to me. Both had fun interactions and the items created were useful for endgame and tradable. They did have issues like any systems does but overall good concepts. GW2 in the early days was interesting. It has now changed into a mess but I think that was the problem from the get go there. Ideas that were developed had major process flaws and had to be taken out of the game. I struggled with EQ and did better in EQ2/ One I had no idea to what I was doing and it was a challenge I took on later. It turned out to be fun. Tedious sometimes but fun.

Ox

• 14 posts
    May 12, 2016 9:17 PM PDT

SWG crafting was best for me too. Vanguard crafting was great. Best for me was the leveling system. Items you craft for leveling must be sold to NPCs so they did not flood the market.

• 39 posts
    May 16, 2016 4:53 PM PDT

Yes swg was fun to run drills and stuff overnight and come back to racked up resources. EQ2, I just didn't like the engine / U.I. / zone artwork and quickly bored with it. Which obviously D&D Online and EQ2 use the same exact engine (just recooked a little).  EQ1 had fun crafting but was really broken in some areas like user crafted armor esp for noobs without millions of coins in the bank. SWTOR crafting also very fun until they flooded the markets with cash purchased premium crap.. loads of it too.