Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

content over graphics

• 644 posts
    March 6, 2016 5:30 PM PST

We are trying to capture that magic we felt living in Everquest.  I know there's more to the story than that, of course.  But, in essence, that's what we are grasping for.

Nowhere did we talk about the graphics.  It's all about the content and the immersion.

I was in Landmark beta (and about as zillion orther MMORPG's over the years).  One mistake that is seems every game is making is paynig more attention to graphics and not content.  EQ was pixel-y graining and had some low-res graphics.  Minecraft has horrendous graphics and lok how successful that is.  Sexy graphics are not the goal.  In fact, those often lead to performance problems (sorry but ahem! early VG, anyone?).  

SOE is making  ahuge mistake with Forgelight because the first person perspectives are all wrong and the topography to surface features is totally out of whack on immersion breaking.  EQ was "flat" and it worked.

Don't over-emphasize sexy graphics!

• 1095 posts
    March 6, 2016 5:45 PM PST

Welcome.

Take at look at the FAQs,

May ease your concerns.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/faqs/

• 644 posts
    March 6, 2016 6:17 PM PST

Aich said:

Welcome.

Take at look at the FAQs,

May ease your concerns.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/faqs/

I will study those and get caught up.  BTW I've been following this for quite a while but stepped back for about a year.

I just watched the Nov/15 trailer update and it was amazing - the graphcis are exactly what I would have hoped for (not cartoony like EQ2/WoW and not screwy depth perception and sizing like LM)

• 261 posts
    March 7, 2016 12:18 PM PST

fazool said:

EQ was pixel-y graining and had some low-res graphics.

You are comparing then and now as far as hardware has evolved. Back in 1999 EQ graohics for that type of game running on a couple of MB AGP card probably were right up there. People having laggy game play with spells being cast and low frame rates. Running on a machine now days yes it is low-res but not really back then.

I am not after over the top graphics either, but better game design. I still don't mine the EQ graphics it is the UI that annoys me. Clicking on a corpse but targeting the ones behind me or to the right. Things like that I don't like these days.

• 157 posts
    March 7, 2016 12:27 PM PST

I am not after over the top graphics either, but better game design. I still don't mine the EQ graphics it is the UI that annoys me. Clicking on a corpse but targeting the ones behind me or to the right. Things like that I don't like these days.

You know ... I logged in to EQ the other day.  After quite a few years away from the game.  Honestly, the dated graphics didn't bother me as much as I thought they would.  It was the how the character interacted with the world/NPCs and the character movements that bothered me more.

I had more fun in the decade-old EQ than the flashy new WoW clone that just opened up.