Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Spoilers/Wikis

• 5 posts
    March 4, 2016 12:00 PM PST

Apologies if this topic was started elsewhere.  I'm working on making the forums more of a priority!

My question or discussion topic has to do with spoilers. I enjoy discovering things on my own, for example, what ingredients can be combined in crafting to produce something new or perhaps an easter egg in a remote corner of a map. I understand that the onlilne posting of in-game knowledge is inevitable however I feel that almost every game I've ever played is filled with "just go here, just do this..." from other group members or global chat. If I tell someone I am testing/trying different ingredients for crafting they seem baffled and ask why I just don't look up all the recipes on the wiki.

I think in most cases it is people being friendly/helpful so I just wondered what others' take would be on this topic. Do you avoid or rely on wikis?

• 428 posts
    March 4, 2016 12:04 PM PST

Depends on what it is Kesira

I love doing quests and raids and figuring stuff out.  Sometimes I might get pissed and look every now and then but it takes a lot of time wasting to do that.

Crafting on the other hand I would so look it up.  Lets say I became an Alchemist to create healing potions.  I would want to know exactly how to make them ASAP but I hate hate hate crafting.  

The one thing I do love looking at are gear websites like LootDB.  shows you where armor drops what it does and what it looks like.  Makes a good list of stuff I need to hit.

• 308 posts
    March 4, 2016 12:11 PM PST

Kalgore said:

Depends on what it is Kesira

I love doing quests and raids and figuring stuff out.  Sometimes I might get pissed and look every now and then but it takes a lot of time wasting to do that.

Crafting on the other hand I would so look it up.  Lets say I became an Alchemist to create healing potions.  I would want to know exactly how to make them ASAP but I hate hate hate crafting.  

The one thing I do love looking at are gear websites like LootDB.  shows you where armor drops what it does and what it looks like.  Makes a good list of stuff I need to hit.

Was writing a response, then realized i was just regurgitating what you said, so will just say +1 instead.

• 91 posts
    March 4, 2016 12:23 PM PST

I definately don't think walkthroughs hurt.  I found plenty back in 99 and 2k when i started playing EQ. What something like 75% of those quest were never discovered?

I think there is that fine line between staying old school in philosophy and moving on to 2016 in methodology.  Walkthroughs and such can be very helpful and if someone doesn't want them......  then they need not look them up.  What I DO NOT WANT is some massive exclamation mark saying HERE PICK ME PICK ME....  I think it would be much cooler in a social game to move by NPC's and they whisper you stiking up conversation that would lead to a better quest system then MAP----  Exclamation----  Items-----  Question Mark----  Regurgatate(spelling)

Xan

• 563 posts
    March 4, 2016 1:59 PM PST

I personally hate guides and walkthroughs, and more to the point I hate when I use them lol. Its so easy to take the easy route and look it up and Ive ruined many games enjoyment by doing so sady. Ive been trying in the last few years to completely stay away from them and have been enjoying what I play so much more!

In terms of MMO's I miss the social aspect of asking people how to do/get something and it's so dissapointing in modern games to just constantly be told "google it", it just really ruins immersion.

Rachael

• 308 posts
    March 4, 2016 4:37 PM PST

I both love and hate the wikis, when i am looking for gear to strengthen my character its nice and convienient. but i do hate when exploring a dungeon and the group members get all PO'd because i didnt lookup the map for the dungeon and know it all before i entered.

I also like the feeling of figuring out a difficult encounter, i still remember the guild group i was with in VG fighting for server first Hegnerian kill with Brotherhood of the Spider and getting it! my group was just a bunch of adventure junkies from a family style weekend warrior raiding guild.

• 511 posts
    March 4, 2016 4:38 PM PST

Rachel I am like you, so it is funny that I have decided to manage a fan site for PRF. My fan site though will be for guides that help you do things, not guides that say do this, go here click this 5 times and sit at these cords.

I prefer to do something in line with original Epic walkthroughs etc. not something like say WoW head. So while you may see some LOC's or specific recipes you will not see an all out database for all recipes etc.

http://www.theterminusterminal.com/ - not much there right now

This post was edited by Dreconic at March 4, 2016 4:40 PM PST
    • 511 posts
    March 4, 2016 4:40 PM PST

Gawd said:

I both love and hate the wikis, when i am looking for gear to strengthen my character its nice and convienient. but i do hate when exploring a dungeon and the group members get all PO'd because i didnt lookup the map for the dungeon and know it all before i entered.

I also like the feeling of figuring out a difficult encounter, i still remember the guild group i was with in VG fighting for server first Hegnerian kill with Brotherhood of the Spider and getting it! my group was just a bunch of adventure junkies from a family style weekend warrior raiding guild.

I was in that BOTs group....

• 724 posts
    March 4, 2016 10:53 PM PST

I hate having to depend on spoiler sites, when quests are deliberately obscure, or the target area is just way too large ("find my item x in this zone", yeah, thank you very much). I like questing, but don't make me waste my time. If you do, the rewards better be GOOD! ;)

So in my opinion, quests should be precise in their description, and the target areas should be reasonable. There's one exception: epic quests which span so much of the game world that it would be impossible for a single person to know everything required. In this case, community effort can be a good thing.

• 308 posts
    March 5, 2016 5:58 PM PST

Dreconic said:

Gawd said:

I was in that BOTs group....

well then thanks for trading attempts with us!

• 2138 posts
    March 6, 2016 6:48 AM PST

I understand Kesira's point, and yes I would like to try to figure things out myself.

But, when it comes to Crafting sometimes a spoiler site with recipes is helpfull and I will use one as a way to interact with the game when I was not logged on to the game. 

• 106 posts
    March 6, 2016 7:44 AM PST
    So what you people are saying is, you don't want help figuring things out? So you're against a guild figuring out epic quests and sharing their findings?

Never in a million years would I have figured out the ranger epic in eq1. It takes a team of people coming across things and noting them and jotting them down in notebooks and such or posting online. If it isn't for a community helping each other out and making information available, then some of this stuff would never be figured out.

I'm for guides when things are figured out. I understand being annoyed at crafting walk throughs where they tell you this is the fastest and cheapest way. But boss fights and tough quests, I like information being shared.
    • 5 posts
    March 6, 2016 11:29 AM PST

Simples said: So what you people are saying is, you don't want help figuring things out? So you're against a guild figuring out epic quests and sharing their findings? Never in a million years would I have figured out the ranger epic in eq1. It takes a team of people coming across things and noting them and jotting them down in notebooks and such or posting online. If it isn't for a community helping each other out and making information available, then some of this stuff would never be figured out. I'm for guides when things are figured out. I understand being annoyed at crafting walk throughs where they tell you this is the fastest and cheapest way. But boss fights and tough quests, I like information being shared.

Helllo Simples, 

No, I did not mean to imply that I do not want absolutely any help from guildies, friends, etc. I was just curious to know if I was in the great minority of not looking things up *before* ever trying them out for myself. For me, personally, I don't like the rush, rush, rush mentality to get the best of everything as soon as possible or to get through content without the surprise and thrill of discovery.

Everyone has their own play style and I was just curious to know the thoughts of others.

• 106 posts
    March 6, 2016 4:53 PM PST
    I liked that explanation ^