Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Getting rid of the simple named/boss mobs

• 40 posts
    August 11, 2016 10:15 PM PDT

Anistosoles said:

Exactly. I mean, in most other MMOs these days, you can kill your opponent in 2 to 3 hits. The only game that I have played that was not this way was LOTRO.

Well, that might be taking things a bit far, I play GW2 a bit on and off and it have plenty of bosses that are pretty tough. Not tough enough though (besides some world and raid bosses) but taking down a named alone there still usually takes a few minutes at least (well some are faster but not that many). TERA and many other Asian games are worse and have even named ones that would be weaker then trashmobs from old styled EQ.

With Pantheon I hope that only a really skilled player in the best gear at his or her level actually would dare soloing a named. Bosses should be mainly group content, not something you see as just another easy kill.

The problem with games like GW2 (Wow, ESO, take your pick) is that it attracts crappy players constantly whining for nerfs and the devs listens to them way too often. In old games like EQ you had to actually learn the game or you constantly died due to your own incompetence. GW2 was actually a great game in the first beta week but it got nerfed into another cookie cutter before it even released :(.

The "very easy" segment of MMOs is already filled to the brim. Now, if a game like Pantheon released an "easy" serverset with less loot I wouldn't protest but I want a MMO that actually challenge me again besides in a few instanced raids. The open world of the last 15 years have become a long and content hogging tutorial, the devs tend to put 80% or more of the content in the open world but make it so fast and easy that most players have to spend almost all their time in the pathetically small "endgame" instead. It is just a huge waste of resources.

• 134 posts
    August 11, 2016 10:58 PM PDT

I actually like the way EQ had it... normal 'named' spawns were just harder hitting/higherlevel/morehp normal mobs. Occasionally they would have special abilities, but nothing crazy. If named mob fights end up being like current gen MMOs where I have to :

1 ) Run over there and stand here.

2 ) Run over there and use this.

3 ) Grab [x] debuff to do [y] action.

Rinse and Repeat 'gimmicks' I am so out it isn't even funny. Reserve that crap for raid encounters. Please.

• 523 posts
    August 11, 2016 11:36 PM PDT

I thought EQ (classic) did this right.  The named mobs were harder than the normal mobs, sometimes significantly so if they spawned with their rare loots.  Infact, I'm not sure I remember any named mobs (in dungeons) that were simple pushovers without a good group.  A named would always make you focus a little harder and stay on your toes.  And it was a good test of your group to see if you could even handle mobs like the Ghoul Lord or Frenzied Ghoul.  I was in MANY groups that thought they had a camp down until the named spawned and wiped everyone.

I did not like Vanguard (loved the crafting though), so not sure how the nameds worked in that game.  WoW and EQ2 had rare nameds that were no different than a normal spawn.  I agree, that was lame.  Hope this game stays true to EQ's method.

• 172 posts
    August 16, 2016 6:33 PM PDT

Dhampir said:

1 ) Run over there and stand here.

2 ) Run over there and use this.

3 ) Grab [x] debuff to do [y] action.

Rinse and Repeat 'gimmicks' I am so out it isn't even funny. Reserve that crap for raid encounters. Please.

Oh no.  No more of this please.  If I wanted to play a dance-choreograph game I would.