Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Fist Fighting in Taverns/Pubs

• 383 posts
    March 3, 2016 9:31 PM PST

Curious if you guys think it would be a good idea to be able to fist fight in the taverns/pubs. I think it could be a nice way promote both RP and maybe a little side game. We could setup matches and tournaments etc. 

It would have to be a decent system with some difference punches and blocking etc, though nothing crazy complicated. 

It would only be available in select taverns/pubs that agreed with it of course. 

To clarify it would be a consented fight between two individuals like a duel would. The damage would be to some sort of stam stat that wouldn't really be used elsewhere. This would help to keep the fights fair between a mage/war I would think. Unless we would always want a warrior to win lol. There also would be no spells or buffs or they would be stripped during the fight.

This post was edited by Niien at March 3, 2016 9:35 PM PST
    • 671 posts
    March 3, 2016 9:58 PM PST

Card playing, gambling...

• 383 posts
    March 3, 2016 10:11 PM PST

Hieromonk said:

Card playing, gambling...

Yep, those would be nice as well :) 

• 1468 posts
    March 3, 2016 10:19 PM PST

Cool idea. I'm kinda hoping that there will be a role playing player versus player server but I doubt it will happen. This could be a nice distraction from the game if you just want to relax a little bit. I also like the idea of card games or gambling. It would be cool if you could put money or items into a pot that is controlled by the game and then the winner takes all.

• 51 posts
    March 4, 2016 1:38 AM PST

They were originally going to do this in Age of Conan, but it never made it into the beta. I thought it was a great idea. It was going to be done so that level and gear were irrelevant. Everyone was on a level playing field. I think that's a fair and RP-friendly way to do it.

I'm not much of a pvper but I love pvp-style minigames, like the norn keg brawl in GW2. I'd like to see a few things like this make it into the game. But as always, one pvp-related thing I'd love to have in Pantheon is an "auto-decline duel requests" option. Such a nice, simple feature, yet so few games provide it.

Also, I second the idea of card games and gambling in the pub. I think social areas like pubs should have incentives to visit designed into them. If people have a reason to be there, it truly becomes a social center. SWG did a great job of this with musicians and dancers in cantinas providing buffs to players that lasted a few hours, so it was in a player's best interest to hang out at the cantina for a few minutes each time they went back to town. I'd love to see something like that in Pantheon.

• 194 posts
    March 4, 2016 6:51 AM PST

Some really cool ideas here.

I always loved the mini-games in all of the single player Final Fantasy games.  Having some sort of Terminus-enspired card games at a tavern would be really neat.

Another thing I thought might be great would be 'help wanted' boards.  Since a lot of newer players might not be familiar with the old style of questing, a help wanted board by a tavern might help to point people in the right direction to a few low-level quests.  I'm thinking something like:

A tome has been stolen containing research on valuable medicinal plants.  We believe the [goblins] to be involved.  Any help would be appreciated -- Apothecary Tyllin

Then someone would know they could track down this Apothecary Tyllin somewhere in town for a potential quest, and have an idea of how to initiate it.

• 2138 posts
    March 4, 2016 6:48 PM PST

I think  that is a neat idea. Maybe some mechanincs around it like you cant fight in a pub unless you are drunk. can only fight in the pub. bumping into NPC' while at the right drunk level will cause them to join in, again all fisticuffs, no abilities no armor, no spells. Untill you gradually sober up.

• 308 posts
    March 4, 2016 7:15 PM PST

Its a neat idea and i hope it makes it in one of the expansions.

but i have a thought, why would the mage and warrior be equal in a fist fight? warriors would naturally be better in such a situation. maybe the mage would be able to have an ability to reinforce his body with magic in a fist fight? if we were voting i would say let the warriors have the advantage in pub brawls, god knows they havent had an advantage adventuring in any old school MMO throw the warriors a bone here!

This post was edited by Gawd at March 4, 2016 7:18 PM PST
    • 383 posts
    March 4, 2016 7:26 PM PST

Gawd said:

but i have a thought, why would the mage and warrior be equal in a fist fight? warriors would naturally be better in such a situation. maybe the mage would be able to have an ability to reinforce his body with magic in a fist fight? if we were voting i would say let the warriors have the advantage in pub brawls, god knows they havent had an advantage adventuring in any old school MMO throw the warriors a bone here!

I hear you and completely agree that a war would most likely stomp a mage, though I was trying to make it more of an even playing field so everyone could enjoy it instead of just all warriors. Level 1 or max level a mage or a warrior. 

• 308 posts
    March 4, 2016 8:40 PM PST

Niien said:

Gawd said:

I hear you and completely agree that a war would most likely stomp a mage, though I was trying to make it more of an even playing field so everyone could enjoy it instead of just all warriors. Level 1 or max level a mage or a warrior. 

remember that making everyone equal and giving everyone a Win is the majority of what ruined the majority of MMOs.

• 51 posts
    March 4, 2016 9:10 PM PST

Maybe each class get its own pub fight skills. When you start the fight your skill bar is replaced with a class-specific set of 4 or 5 abilities. Maybe everybody cheats. :P Wizards set your pants on fire; rogues throw sand in your eyes; druids call mice to attack your legs, etc. (Just a few off the top of my head. So many possilbities!)

If it's supposed to be a drunken pub fight, why not have some fun with it?

This post was edited by Typhon at March 4, 2016 9:13 PM PST
    • 308 posts
    March 4, 2016 9:23 PM PST

Typhon said:

Maybe each class get its own pub fight skills. When you start the fight your skill bar is replaced with a class-specific set of 4 or 5 abilities. Maybe everybody cheats. :P Wizards set your pants on fire; rogues throw sand in your eyes; druids call mice to attack your legs, etc. (Just a few off the top of my head. So many possilbities!)

This ^ is a great idea, everyone cheats! maybe warriors can throw stunning blows to interrupt casts and strike the knees to impare movement!

This post was edited by Gawd at March 4, 2016 9:25 PM PST
    • 383 posts
    March 4, 2016 9:36 PM PST

Typhon said:

I like it! :) 

• 2138 posts
    March 5, 2016 6:57 AM PST

Typhon said:

I like this idea, too. Yes warriors should have more strength than mages and be a better fighter.

maybe have a NPC as a...man in the back with eyes, as red as the sun....(not too blatant, but obscure enough.

• 383 posts
    March 5, 2016 7:22 AM PST

Manouk said:

Typhon said:

I like this idea, too. Yes warriors should have more strength than mages and be a better fighter.

maybe have a NPC as a...man in the back with eyes, as red as the sun....(not too blatant, but obscure enough.

My thought was more about letting everyone have a fair shot since it was more about fun and fair play. If all warriors dominated every other class it would be pretty useless and I think a lot  less people would want to participate.