Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Adventure Cam

• 106 posts
    March 3, 2016 11:30 AM PST

The thing gamers love to do just as much as game is watch other people game lol. What does everyone think about an adventure cam or like adventure wisps that let you watch and be part of other peoples adventures in real time>? Sounds corny but nothing inspires me to play more than watching other people play. You could have like spotlight events so everyone can watch top guilds wipe on their first dragon attepts :)

• 2130 posts
    March 3, 2016 11:33 AM PST

Sounds neat but would likely just be abused to learn raid strats. Can't think of a way to implement this in an MMO with any sense of competition.

• 1095 posts
    March 3, 2016 11:51 AM PST

Since there is Twitch and streaming services I doupt this will be implemented.

I know I will be doing youtube videos so, be my stalker if ya want :)

I'm sure there will tons of other youtube vidz as well.

• 308 posts
    March 3, 2016 12:09 PM PST

Not a bad idea but i would be surprised if most top guilds allow this unless the race to serverwide and server first isn't close or is over, i know my former guild doesn't allow streaming during new progression; we had to kick someone out of raids because they wouldn't stop streaming while we were competing for a top 5 serverwide finish.  I also wouldn't mind seeing something akin to Rift's video recorder.

• 383 posts
    March 3, 2016 12:24 PM PST

Liav said:

Sounds neat but would likely just be abused to learn raid strats. Can't think of a way to implement this in an MMO with any sense of competition.

My personal opinion would be that we not make it a competition... almost no one cares who gets there first or downs something first. I would bet that a majority of the time it isn't skill, it's just someone with more time than someone else. 

This post was edited by Niien at March 3, 2016 12:25 PM PST
    • 409 posts
    March 3, 2016 12:52 PM PST

Niien said: My personal opinion would be that we not make it a competition... almost no one cares who gets there first or downs something first. I would bet that a majority of the time it isn't skill, it's just someone with more time than someone else.

True, I remember some scandinavian guild wiping for 2 hours on the first boss of a released expansion. They pipped us by 2 minutes, but we started 2 hours after them casually and did it first shot (no teamspeak either). Whose really #1 in that situation? did we brag? no. did anyone take notice? no.. did we really care? no.

This post was edited by Nimryl at March 3, 2016 12:59 PM PST
    • 428 posts
    March 3, 2016 1:20 PM PST

Niien said:

Liav said:

My personal opinion would be that we not make it a competition... almost no one cares who gets there first or downs something first. I would bet that a majority of the time it isn't skill, it's just someone with more time than someone else. 

Really interetsed why you think that.  This is supposed to be more of an Old school MMO MANY MANY  people will care about being the best raid guild and server first attacks 

• 2130 posts
    March 3, 2016 1:22 PM PST

Niien said:

Yeah, almost no one cares except literally thousands, or millions of people.

See: Progression guilds in literally every MMO ever.

This post was edited by Liav at March 3, 2016 1:22 PM PST
    • 793 posts
    March 3, 2016 1:36 PM PST

Yeah, not sure about the adventure cam, but I think it would be kind of neat that when a major boss is being taken down for the firt time that the GMs or the game catches it on video from different angles and it could get posted to the website. They could even edit it to mask any strategies, glitches, or exploits, they wish to keep hidden for the time being.

This post was edited by Fulton at March 3, 2016 1:37 PM PST
    • 409 posts
    March 3, 2016 1:47 PM PST

*cough*
    Eye of Zomm

• 1095 posts
    March 3, 2016 2:58 PM PST

Fulton said:

Yeah, not sure about the adventure cam, but I think it would be kind of neat that when a major boss is being taken down for the firt time that the GMs or the game catches it on video from different angles and it could get posted to the website. They could even edit it to mask any strategies, glitches, or exploits, they wish to keep hidden for the time being.

Yeah if I am in the raid it will for sure be on youtube after I grab my loot. I did it back in EQ2 for out server first kills.

Unless we want to keep it quite for a while and farm it. MUHAHAH

This post was edited by Aich at March 3, 2016 2:59 PM PST
    • 1095 posts
    March 3, 2016 3:00 PM PST

Niien said:

I care, I want to down every raid boss first, such a rush.

• 428 posts
    March 3, 2016 3:05 PM PST

Aich said:

Niien said:

I care, I want to down every raid boss first, such a rush.

A large portion care.  But only a small portion play there class well enough.

• 1714 posts
    March 3, 2016 3:10 PM PST

munge said:

The thing gamers love to do just as much as game is watch other people game lol. What does everyone think about an adventure cam or like adventure wisps that let you watch and be part of other peoples adventures in real time>? Sounds corny but nothing inspires me to play more than watching other people play. You could have like spotlight events so everyone can watch top guilds wipe on their first dragon attepts :)

Cool, but hells no. 

• 383 posts
    March 3, 2016 3:31 PM PST

Liav said:

Niien said:

Which is almost no one still. 

See: Percentage of raiders vs non-raiders 

The raiders would like to seem to think that others care, however they don't. I know cause I'm with the others. 

• 2130 posts
    March 3, 2016 3:45 PM PST

Niien said:

Liav said:

Niien said:

The raiders would like to seem to think that others care, however they don't. I know cause I'm with the others. 

Sounds like an excellent justification to implement something that screws over one demographic and offers only a marginal benefit to another. I also guarantee that a feature like this would be heavily underutilized and purposeless because, as someone else said, there's always twitch and numerous of streaming sites for gaming.

Comparing minority vs. majority doesn't really work in a situation like this anyway. Progression raiding is a large demographic even if it's a smaller demographic than casual gameplay. Alienating a minority for such a worthless feature is insanity.

• 428 posts
    March 3, 2016 3:47 PM PST

Liav said:

Niien said:

Liav said:

Niien said:

Sounds like an excellent justification to implement something that screws over one demographic and offers only a marginal benefit to another. I also guarantee that a feature like this would be heavily underutilized and purposeless because, as someone else said, there's always twitch and numerous of streaming sites for gaming.

Comparing minority vs. majority doesn't really work in a situation like this anyway. Progression raiding is a large demographic even if it's a smaller demographic than casual gameplay. Alienating a minority for such a worthless feature is insanity.

Not to mention Progression raiders tend to play a game much longer then a casual players. 

• 160 posts
    March 3, 2016 8:34 PM PST

From my experience hard core people race through the game, burn out, and move on.

• 106 posts
    March 4, 2016 2:21 AM PST

It would be cool to get the twitch, and youtube traffic into the game, How many times have you watches videos of mmo and grabed your mouse to try and change the camera angle, and be all like damn its a video. E sports fills sports stadiums because watching video games is very exciting, i think it would be very rookie not to tap into the fan fair aspects of mmo. In early everquest there was literaly celebrity players on every server. In early everquest if a warrior was getting 200dmg critical hits you heard about it and that warrior was a celeb. If a rouge was getting 500dmg backstabs you heard about it. If an enchanter was soloing raid mobs with charmed pets he was a god. Im all for the High scores and records, just like in the arcade days. When a kid could beat street fighter 2 with less than 4 quarters he was a local superstar.

• 106 posts
    March 4, 2016 2:30 AM PST

Server firsts should not be the only records, you can have fastest kills, smallest raid force, all kinds of things. An ingame hall of fame would be hilarious and awesome. People should be competing to hold the current record for all kinds of things. If yer the richest on the sever u should be given that acknowledgment. If you hold the record for most falling deaths you should be listed in pantheons guiness book. In a stadium and arcade setting you arent just watching the action you are a part of it. For the first year of everquest me my brother and a friend of ours all shared the same account so playing with someone looking over your shoulder was how we started out playing MMO's and thats the way i feel they should always be played.

This post was edited by munge at March 4, 2016 2:49 AM PST
    • 563 posts
    March 4, 2016 3:39 AM PST

munge said:

so playing with someone looking over your shoulder was how we started out playing MMO's and thats the way i feel they should always be played.

To me that would just feel like a massive invasion of my privacy, if there was the ability for spectators to just come in and watch what im doing I would not play that game.

• 157 posts
    March 4, 2016 5:17 AM PST

Reasons and mechanics aside ... I'm pretty sure this would be totally abused in-game to scout areas, look for rare spawns, etc.  

I think, and I've posted about it before, that a raid encounter type tournament with live-in-game player-spectators would be awesome.  I'd love to see the top players and guilds in action vs similar opponents in a timed or otherwise "graded" contest event.  Not PvP, but PvE tournaments.