Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Expansions with content for more than just endgame.

• 409 posts
    February 28, 2016 1:52 PM PST

Vandraad said:

Nimryl said:

That entirely depends on how it's designed.

Unfortunately I think this discussion has diverged too far from the original topic.  If you wish to discuss this further we need a more appropriate thread.

I agree. Let's end this argument here and agree to disagree.

This post was edited by Nimryl at February 28, 2016 1:53 PM PST
    • 30 posts
    February 28, 2016 2:42 PM PST

Vandraad said:

Raidan said: More importantly than adding entirely new zones each expansion is to keep old zones relevant. Like Gawd said, expand the existing zones, or make zones like Guktop/Gukbottom versus creating entirely new contents/worlds/planets each time. Everquest became too large. Half the zones are completely empty and players are spread across the world and only congregate in the zones that have the highest exp modifiers. I'd rather the game be built where players have a reason to stay together, and even if low/high levels aren't grouping together, you still see the players and creates a feeling that the world feels more alive. Build the game with the mystery built in - locked doors, cellars, hidden passages etc. that can't be opened till future expansions.

Basically, if I understand you correctly, is that if a sentient race of NPCs inhabit a dungeon (Goblins in SolA and RunnyEye, Gnolls in BlackBurrow, Frogloks in UpperGuk/LowerGuk, etc) they would, over time, naturally expand their home and the new areas become inhabited with higher levels or they dig through to a previously unknown hive/home of a wholly subterranean race of much higher level creatures.  I'd be in full support of it.

I totally agree. What ruined EQ for me was the fact that there ended up being way too many zones and not enough people to fill all the content. It made finding a group very frustrating much of the time.

I think it would be nice if they could occasionally expand current zones, like you said. Or even keep the zones the same, but just change the occupants from time to time. For example, say there is a zone that is inhabited by goblins. Then a couple years later they are invaded by orcs, and now orcs occupy the zone. Maybe they are now even higher level mobs than the goblins were before.

That seems to be a way to easily and cheaply do something to breathe some new life into an old zone that would attract people back into it again.

• 1468 posts
    February 28, 2016 2:58 PM PST

Kromiv said:

Vandraad said:

Raidan said: More importantly than adding entirely new zones each expansion is to keep old zones relevant. Like Gawd said, expand the existing zones, or make zones like Guktop/Gukbottom versus creating entirely new contents/worlds/planets each time. Everquest became too large. Half the zones are completely empty and players are spread across the world and only congregate in the zones that have the highest exp modifiers. I'd rather the game be built where players have a reason to stay together, and even if low/high levels aren't grouping together, you still see the players and creates a feeling that the world feels more alive. Build the game with the mystery built in - locked doors, cellars, hidden passages etc. that can't be opened till future expansions.

Basically, if I understand you correctly, is that if a sentient race of NPCs inhabit a dungeon (Goblins in SolA and RunnyEye, Gnolls in BlackBurrow, Frogloks in UpperGuk/LowerGuk, etc) they would, over time, naturally expand their home and the new areas become inhabited with higher levels or they dig through to a previously unknown hive/home of a wholly subterranean race of much higher level creatures.  I'd be in full support of it.

That would be cool but you would inevitably get a crowd of people complaining how they had ruined the old zones like what happened when they revamped Freeport in EQ and other zones like VP and so on and so forth. Personally though I like the idea. As long as there remains enough low level content still to level alts.

If they could keep the old zones somewhere backed up if they ever get to the stage of releasing a TLP server then they can go back to the old zones for those who like that kind of thing. I doubt it would happen but it would be a nice thought.

I totally agree. What ruined EQ for me was the fact that there ended up being way too many zones and not enough people to fill all the content. It made finding a group very frustrating much of the time.

I think it would be nice if they could occasionally expand current zones, like you said. Or even keep the zones the same, but just change the occupants from time to time. For example, say there is a zone that is inhabited by goblins. Then a couple years later they are invaded by orcs, and now orcs occupy the zone. Maybe they are now even higher level mobs than the goblins were before.

That seems to be a way to easily and cheaply do something to breathe some new life into an old zone that would attract people back into it again.

This post was edited by Cromulent at February 28, 2016 3:00 PM PST
    • 2419 posts
    February 28, 2016 3:35 PM PST

Cromulent said:

That seems to be a way to easily and cheaply do something to breathe some new life into an old zone that would attract people back into it again

One idea I floated on the previous forums was a zone similar to LowerGuk with it's Live Side and Undead Side or SolA with the Goblins and the Gnomes but one where the 'ownership' could depend upon player actions.  In my idea it was a mining chasm with each side inhabited by a different race of Goblins.  Players started off indifferent to both.  Each side has possession of items, crafting stations, materials only usable by the other side.  By your actions on behalf of one side or the other you could sway the ownership of the zone with the results being new quests, access to rare Goblin-smithed items (interleaved with faction standings), rare ores or minerals for crafting specialized gear, etc.  After awhile, or at downtime perhaps, the zone would eventually return to it normal state.

I think Brad has already stated, if not here than on the previous forums, that players would have an influence on the world in a similar manner but I can't be absolutely sure.

• 999 posts
    February 28, 2016 4:54 PM PST
    @Vandraad

That would be correct - creating expansions similar to Sol A/Sol B type zones or Guktop/Gukbottom. Where a higher level player would need to pass through the old zone versus going to a new continent.

Give higher level players a chance to interact with lower levels - even if its just sharing a buff, or res etc.

Also it may encourage alts if the higher level player cant find a group and sees groups needed more in Guktop.

Further it creates more of that carrot and awe factor where low levels see higher level players both in wondering about their gear and adventures.

I understand zone revamps, but I'm not as big of proponet of those as you lose nostalgia and it doesn't bring more people together, but, rather keeps the old more fresh.

And I wouldn't be against entirely new content completely, just that the some of the expansion could expand on the old.

I would also raise the server population caps with newly released content as well to ensure that the larger zone count can be better filled.
    • 428 posts
    February 29, 2016 8:22 AM PST

another thing that can give life to old zones that need some population is world events.  almost like a DLC something happens lets say a massive earthquake Zone A and some landslides happened opened some new caves and some new quests to go explore.  The new zone changes to reflect what happened maybe an old area is offlimits but a new cave system opened.  IUts a fairly easy way to give new content to tid people over to another expansion.  The world events can also be tied into the expansions. for a further storyline.  Maybe the earthquake was caused by long slumbering dragons and they are startiong to wake up causing the landslides. and the expansion is rise of the dragons.  

• 11 posts
    March 1, 2016 9:22 PM PST

I support these ideas. You could even try to incorporate the use of the Preception System by casting a "Scrying" spell or some such to maybe get a glimpse of whats behind that locked door.

• 671 posts
    March 1, 2016 10:30 PM PST

Upward VS Outward content....

Brad said Pantheon will have much more outward content. And I have a feeling that upward content is going to be harder..