Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Boredom in MMORPGs

• 2130 posts
    February 26, 2016 10:50 AM PST

Angrykiz said:

When all the content has been completed I get bored...

This is why at the highest end of the game there should be mobs that are just a hair out of reach but if all the stars aligned your guild could maybe kill it.

Tough to balance that...

Even easier is just having a content release schedule that always has something new in store. However, if the content is difficult enough, I think it's reasonable to say that we should be spending a very long time in any given content release to clear it. Not 3 months, I'm talking annual content releases with enough difficult content to keep us busy for that length of time.

Balancing a game to always have mobs that are "just a little out of reach" is impractical. VR would have to hire a full raid force who are all absolutely elite at the game, then spend months testing the individual encounters on their internal servers to balance things that way.

The only alternative is if you code things to be very black and white, as with gear scores, which I don't think anyone here wants.

• 338 posts
    February 26, 2016 11:09 AM PST

Why do you always have to challenge everything I post Liav... It's just my opinion why does it matter so much to you ?

Kiz~

• 2130 posts
    February 26, 2016 11:16 AM PST

Angrykiz said:

Why do you always have to challenge everything I post Liav... It's just my opinion why does it matter so much to you ?

Why do you have to interpret this as a challenge? That said, the developers read this forum and probably take some inspiration from the things people say, at least in part. In what way would it be fair for you to express your opinion and not have it challenged if I disagree?

Opinions were made to be challenged. I want Pantheon to be a good game and all of our collective opinions matter.

• 383 posts
    February 26, 2016 11:47 AM PST

Angrykiz said:

When all the content has been completed I get bored...

This is why at the highest end of the game there should be mobs that are just a hair out of reach but if all the stars aligned your guild could maybe kill it.

Tough to balance that... 

Thanks,

Kiz~

Angrykiz, may I ask what do you personally consider "all the content". Is that just the end game content or seeing and doing all the quests in all the zones?

I believe your answer will be more focused to end game content and I personally hope that we can get away from that mindset that is seen with the latest generation of games.

I don't mind raiding legendary bosses, however I want the middle game to be where all the fun is at so I have fun grouping and leveling for years instead of rushing for months to the end to only see a piece of the game and 2 months of end game content. I guess I can always go at my own pace, however if I play pretty regularly and the leveling isn't slow enough my wife and I will end up there based on time alone lol.

• 338 posts
    February 27, 2016 4:53 AM PST

When I say all the content I do not mean all the quests...

Quests are ok but I mean basically killing all the challenging mobs at the appropriate levels.

For instance if there are 3 zones to clear at any given level range after I play through these on one character or a combination of alts then I'm done with it.

I don't really want to repeat content over and over... Vanguard had a problem with this in some areas the grind was too much and you were stuck in those areas far too long.

Tehatamani Harbor grind was crazy and not to mention the 50+ Island whatever it was called.

As far as end game this is where the rubber meets the road... If just one zone at endgame is hard enough that you could just kill some trash and maybe an early boss or 2 this gives you a reason to continue to better your character in hopes of making it slightly easier.

I feel that MMO's need mobs that are just slightly out of reach of players killing them at any given time but if all the stars aligned you could possibly still win. This creates a situation where you don't feel like you have beat the game yet.

Make the end boss of dungeons so hard that not everyone gets to kill them. Just because you pay for a subscription does not entitle you to kill every mob in the game. It should take planning, preperation, skill, and knowledge of the mob.

Thanks for reading,

Kiz

• 2138 posts
    February 27, 2016 1:00 PM PST

The way I see it, is what boredom I chose to pursue.

1. If the familiar characters that I usually grouped with/felt comfortable with/performed well with/ were on and we were deciding what to do? Not bored.

2. Raid scheduled and all the strange delays and chatter prior to start time? Not bored. 

3.No friends on? I could go to the new hard place and throw up a LFG, see what happens. Not bored, but not entirely comfortable.

4. Angry Uber guild X hosting an open raid and spamming invites? There is potential to not be bored.

5. No one on? Crafting or hunting non-exp generating components in the meantime is technically not "bored."

6. Reflecting on the repetative nature of skilling/crafting done yesterday and such memory invokes a level of ennui? Look through bank and maybe think of a clever way to host a "player driven quest" (because that is what it said in the handbook that happens, even though I never saw it) to newbies in newbie zones to give away the extra gear.The effort is not boring

7. No newbies? maybe think about spending some time in a place where people market and try to sell my stuff under-market because I need the bank space and If the T.V. is on in the background, not "really" bored per se.

8. Logged out? You don't know if I am bored or not- ha!.   

• 2756 posts
    April 13, 2016 3:25 PM PDT

Hmm yeah what has bored me in MMORPGs?  Good one: -

1) Long long camps waiting for a rare spawn with nothing else to do.

This is an old EQ one and a pet hate from bitter experience.  A spawn was so rare and important that, because it was contested, you literally couldn't look away for a few seconds or someone would steal it, so welcome to hours of staring into space yet needing to be alert!  Such fun.  Not.

2) Unchallenging content.

Some games dumb things down so far for the lowest common denominator player that a slightly skilled player is utterly unchallenged.  Me?  I prefer to die a lot than not be challenged.

3) Speed dungeons.

I know it sounds weird to be 'bored' by speedy play, but I do find in things like Rift's Instant Adventures and WoW's dungeon finder people would/could run through so fast it became a blur and, so, got easily boring.  You never got a chance to understand and get involved in what you were doing.

4) Travelling unchallenged through 'greyed out' zones

I would prefer that zones didn't grey out, as I've said elsewhere, I believe scaling your level to content is a great mechanic, but if zones must be greyed out, I'd like to be able to fast travel through.

That's all for now :)