Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Holy Trinity

• 428 posts
    February 9, 2016 8:11 AM PST

One of the things I liked about EQ EQ2 and even Conan to a degree was there was plenty of content that could be done with a group that didnt fit defined classic roles.  But it is also good to have content that flat out is impossible with out a tank healer DPS Crowd control ETC

• 116 posts
    February 9, 2016 8:28 AM PST

I would like the trinity to be a part of this game. Defined roles as in EQ, WoW & SWTOR as opposed to the mess GW2 or TESO felt like. Bring more importance back on CC & support however, the Quaternity like everyone says.

Where my opinion might differ from many however, is I think every player should be role fluid BEFORE starting group content. Let us change gear, mana color & skills to fill different roles. I reiterate, not changing roles on the fly, but before adventuring. In my mind, many class could fill at least 2 roles. And as someone who likes to invest all in 1 main character, it's fun to switch things up a bit from time to time.

• 194 posts
    February 9, 2016 2:44 PM PST
    I just listened to the second part of the podcast and it sounds like with the colored mana system each class will have some gear-dependent flexibility in how the class performs, come late game. They give the example of a cleric being able to spec as an off-tank/CC role. It doesn't sound like it's quite to the extreme of a complete role-change (the cleric would still function as a healer, for instance), but it should make for some really interesting emergent game play and add a level of flexibility when forming groups. I'm really excited about hearing more about Pantheon's character development!
    • 105 posts
    February 9, 2016 4:17 PM PST

Kilsin said:

This is something I am wary of as well, I would like to see other classes be able to step in when needed to fill certain roles and not just limit it to best tank, best healer, best CC/Support, Best dps but that is also a community mentality that you folks can control partially, so it will be interesting to see how it plays out in Pantheon.

I think other classes could step in and fill the specific roles in EQ. I was in a lot of groups with "alternate" makeup. I think players will always try to figure out which class filles a specific niche best and they will always try to min-max so they can take on the most agressive encounters possible. Even when it's totally untrue, it becomes "common knowlege" that class X fills a certain role best and so people prefer that class. It could even be the consequence of specific armor or weapons available to that class, that everyone thinks makes them best. So I don't think it's a problem that can realiztically be avoided. Because it's about players seeking to optimize and that's hard to get them not to do.

I also have to say that since I prefer crowd control, I would rather CC be in the mix and not just all about the best tank + dps + healer. In fact, I've never understood the gripe about crowd control, given the power healers and tanks have at mitigating damage.

• 9115 posts
    February 10, 2016 1:06 AM PST

Kayd said:

Kilsin said:

This is something I am wary of as well, I would like to see other classes be able to step in when needed to fill certain roles and not just limit it to best tank, best healer, best CC/Support, Best dps but that is also a community mentality that you folks can control partially, so it will be interesting to see how it plays out in Pantheon.

I think other classes could step in and fill the specific roles in EQ. I was in a lot of groups with "alternate" makeup. I think players will always try to figure out which class filles a specific niche best and they will always try to min-max so they can take on the most agressive encounters possible. Even when it's totally untrue, it becomes "common knowlege" that class X fills a certain role best and so people prefer that class. It could even be the consequence of specific armor or weapons available to that class, that everyone thinks makes them best. So I don't think it's a problem that can realiztically be avoided. Because it's about players seeking to optimize and that's hard to get them not to do.

I also have to say that since I prefer crowd control, I would rather CC be in the mix and not just all about the best tank + dps + healer. In fact, I've never understood the gripe about crowd control, given the power healers and tanks have at mitigating damage.

Yeah, nice Kayd and we agree, which is why we created the Quaternity system to include CC/Support back into it's rightful place within the trinity plus keep tanking, healing and dps ;)

• 8 posts
    February 10, 2016 7:42 AM PST

I like your trinity+1 ideas, but don't let the hybrids suffer. Tanks should be able to tank. What ruined eq1 at a point was that SK and PAL became useless vs warriors on high end content. 

War, SK and PAL need to be equals, but in different ways. This way the trinity can work, we have class seperatifor uniqness - but we don't have none tanks filling the role (like Rift) and watering the game down.

Way I see it the WAR should be the easy way to accomplish tanking. PAL should be undiputed master at killing undead. He should have less pure tanking ability then WAR, but it should work out via special heal like abilities. I attack and randomly heal myself and said heals allow me to stay up. SK should have something similar that matches his play style, say life taps. This preserves the idea of trinity, but allows for unique gameplay. 

I feel like paladins get penalized for being a hybrid to balance things out, but it often comes at a terible unrealtic price. My heals should be almost as good as a cleric, but my mana limit keeps me in check. I can use my magic to make me the equal of a warrior, I might make an ok backup healer - but my mana limit keeps me from matching a cleric. Thus I am a tank, healing and killing undead says I am a paladin and we maintain things. 

Make sense?

Dar