Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Pantheon Advertisement

• 1095 posts
    February 6, 2016 6:38 PM PST

Should Youtubers be allowed to advertise Pantheon?

It may also include advertising their own channel but if it benfit Pantheon, it a plus yes?

Thoughts?

• 63 posts
    February 6, 2016 6:59 PM PST

YouTube has always been a point of contention for gamers. Whether it's out of jealousy or disdain for ad revenue, games + youtube = trololol. I'm a huge fan of the montage parodies reddit community and it's absolutely filled with scorn for people taking gaming too seriously. Not us, of course; this is the Call of Duty 13-year-old who figured out how to add lens flares to their 360 no scope on dust 5.

Not sure if I helped at all, Aich, sorry lol. The internet is a crazy place, so who can say who should/shouldn't be allowed to speak about what interests them. Bringing more players to Pantheon who don't agree with our core tenets is just inviting an unsub anyway.

• 1095 posts
    February 6, 2016 7:03 PM PST

Yeah you're right

This post was edited by Aich at February 7, 2016 8:52 AM PST
    • 9115 posts
    February 6, 2016 7:11 PM PST

Yes, Youtubers can advertise Pantheon and we appreciate the positive coverage, however, advertising your personal Youtube channel is considered a breach of forum guidelines, specifically:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1595/pantheon-developer-forum-guidelines

Off-Limit Topics/Replies - Do not post any topics/replies containing the following:

7) Soliciting, begging, auctioning, raffling, selling, advertising, referrals

We love the community and the passion you folks give us, including any videos or media showing us in a positive light but self-promotion of any Youtube or Twitch channels will be against rules unless some agreement is made with VR and the user to specifically create and promote Pantheon content, we have no such agreements in place with anyone currently.

This is only to stop huge amounts of Youtube and Twitch self-promotion spam as everyone and their dog has a channel these days and with ad revenue and copyright issues, we want to keep our Pantheon development forums clear of that mess.

tl;dr

You can post your awesome Pantheon videos on our forums in the correct subforums but please don't post and advertise your own channels which contains other content that is not about Pantheon.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at February 6, 2016 8:55 PM PST
    • 1714 posts
    February 6, 2016 7:13 PM PST

The only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about. The companies that go after youtubers for reviewing their games/posting footage are idiots. It's free advertising. 

• 1095 posts
    February 6, 2016 7:17 PM PST

Krixus said:

The only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about. The companies that go after youtubers for reviewing their games/posting footage are idiots. It's free advertising. 

Thanks. 

• 1095 posts
    February 6, 2016 7:46 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Yes, Youtubers can advertise Pantheon and we appreciate the positive coverage, however, advertising your personal Youtube channel is considered a breach of forum guidelines, specifically:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1595/pantheon-developer-forum-guidelines

Off-Limit Topics/Replies - Do not post any topics/replies containing the following:

7) Soliciting, begging, auctioning, raffling, selling, advertising, referrals

We love the community and the passion you folks give us, including any videos or media showing us in a positive light but self-promotion of any Youtube or Twitch channels will be against rules unless some agreement is made with VR and the user to specifically created and promote Pantheon content, we have no such agreements in place with anyone currently.

This is only to stop huge amounts of Youtube and Twitch self-promotion spam as everyone and their dog has a channel these days and with ad revenue and copyright issues, we want to keep our Pantheon development forums clear of that mess.

tl;dr

You can post your awesome Pantheon videos on our forums in the correct subforums but please don't post and advertise your own channels which contains other content that is not about Pantheon.

So we can talk about content or ideas or other features in other games but not post an video of said artifact of how it works in another game? A pictue is worth a thousand words. This is an outdated thinking stragety. How is that any different.

Text vs video image. Its the same idea but different media, both being in bounds of the topic of Pantheon.

This post was edited by Aich at February 7, 2016 8:32 AM PST
    • 1095 posts
    February 6, 2016 8:08 PM PST

I've asked for a refund over this bs. So I hope you all have a great time in game. I'm done.

Deleting all the Pantheon videos I made on YT.

This post was edited by Aich at February 6, 2016 8:08 PM PST
    • 511 posts
    February 6, 2016 8:20 PM PST

Aich said:

I've asked for a refund over this bs. So I hope you all have a great time in game. I'm done.

Deleting all the Pantheon videos I made on YT.

Why? They never said you couldn't post your YT links here just that you had to follow the rules being mainly:

A) It is in the proper forum/topic 

B) You're not just promoting your YT/Twitch channel just to promote it

Seems pretty simple to me...

• 208 posts
    February 6, 2016 9:20 PM PST

I think you are jumping the gun. He didn't say you can't post video of other game content that you are using to discuss and illustrate a point. He said you can't advertise your channel if it promotes other games. Maybe that's the case, maybe not, but don't you think you should wait for clarification?

• 1095 posts
    February 7, 2016 8:56 AM PST

Bluefyre said:

I think you are jumping the gun. He didn't say you can't post video of other game content that you are using to discuss and illustrate a point. He said you can't advertise your channel if it promotes other games. Maybe that's the case, maybe not, but don't you think you should wait for clarification?

I've calmed down. Kilsin is right. I've apoligized and shoun't of been arguring openly with a Mod.

Hope everyone enjoys the Superbowl!

This post was edited by Aich at February 7, 2016 8:56 AM PST
    • 610 posts
    February 7, 2016 10:08 AM PST

Aich said:

Bluefyre said:

I've calmed down. Kilsin is right. I've apoligized and shoun't of been arguring openly with a Mod.

Hope everyone enjoys the Superbowl!

I love the mature crowd that Pantheon has attracted, takes a big man to admit he flew off the handle and apoligize for it

Good on ya mate

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    February 7, 2016 10:37 AM PST

(boy, I hope this doesn't re-ignite this discussion in a negative way)

First, Kilsin is correct in stating our current policy, so I'm not criticizing his post or what he said in any way.

That said, the way people hear about games in 2016 is vastly different than 2007 or 1999.  In the old days you would pay magazinese and websites money to place ads.  Nowadays it's more about popular youtube channels, Twitch, etc.  To be frank, I'm not completely used to this -- I watch my daughter watch all of these youtube channels, and I think to myself, "wouldn't it be more efficient just to read an article"?  But then I do understand that popular youtubers don't only provide information, but many have very interesting personalities and ways of presenting that information, and so people are watching them not just for the info, but also because they enjoy how its being delivered.  

So the reality is, when we are at a point where it makes sense to heavily market Pantheon, and if we're going to reach those players who never experienced the first generation of MMOs (and they are an important part of our target audience), it's essential that we get the word out in a way that will be heard.  And that means youtube, twitch, etc.

So while I'm not changing anything Kilsin said right now, I am saying that our policies may change in the future in order to get as much awareness out there about Pantheon as possible.

• 208 posts
    February 7, 2016 2:32 PM PST

Here is a question. What if someone had a separate channel dedicated to Pantheon content and any link to their other non-Pantheon channel is used in a video bumper (end of video) and/or linked to in the video description?

• 9115 posts
    February 7, 2016 4:05 PM PST

Bluefyre said:

Here is a question. What if someone had a separate channel dedicated to Pantheon content and any link to their other non-Pantheon channel is used in a video bumper (end of video) and/or linked to in the video description?

At this stage it would still be seen as self-promotion, it is best to just link single videos that contain Pantheon content until we review our stance.

It gets tricky with being able to earn ad revenue and have sponsored content, if we allow one person to advertise on our development forums then we need to allow everyone and people pay to have access here and the expectations for spam free and advertising free forums is much higher, so until the need arises to review our current stance we would ask that no one advertises their social media accounts, whether they be Youtube, Twitch etc.

We do however love the communities passion for making videos on Pantheon and as we grow and release more information, we expect to see more and more videos, so please by all means make those videos and link them here in the appropriate forums but just no links to personal accounts, pages etc.

• 1095 posts
    February 7, 2016 4:28 PM PST

Close this already.

Ive asked for a refund Officialty. Its over. Close it.

One more pre-nerf pledge gone.

This post was edited by Aich at February 7, 2016 6:18 PM PST
    • 84 posts
    February 7, 2016 9:15 PM PST

So Aradune comes on here and says they may review and change the policy to favor what Aich wants an he rage quits? /boggle

I just don't understand people sometimes.

• 781 posts
    February 7, 2016 9:53 PM PST

/confused :(  

• 9115 posts
    February 8, 2016 1:25 AM PST

Aich said:

Close this already.

Ive asked for a refund Officialty. Its over. Close it.

One more pre-nerf pledge gone.

There is no reason to close this Aich, you created this topic in the heat of the moment and now people want to discuss it, which is perfectly fine, this is why it is strongly advised that people cool down and think before they post and especially if alcohol is involved.

As Brad said, we will review this as we grow in numbers and get closer to launching the game but for the time being, our stance is one of freedom to link to Pantheon videos on anyone's channel including your own if Pantheon and VR are shown in a positive manner, posting personal channel information and/or links is not allowed.

I would ask that you please keep your support ticket private and not disclose its details on the forums.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at February 8, 2016 1:41 AM PST
    • 144 posts
    February 12, 2016 6:55 AM PST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ejdZsMmS4A

This was one I made in the early days.  I am not a programmer.  Was just having fun with Unity 4 when I was unemployeed some time back.  As I watched it again today I see its out of date in a couple of areas.  Be nice I am a plumber and was one of my first attempts at anything of the sort.

Chaam

• 563 posts
    February 12, 2016 7:39 AM PST

I think Aich either just grossly misunderstood what was being stated, or is getting upset that he can't blatently self promote (I think/hope its the former and not the latter)

1) post the links in proper sub-forums,

2) dont promote yourself in the forum or video (you can have other non pantheon related videos on the channel its posted on, just don't outright self promote your own channel in the post or video), the post and video should be entirely about pantheon.

I know they're not agaist video's being done about pantheon if its done the right way. I only found out about Pantheon through a video interview Brad did with the youtuber Boogie. If I never saw that video I'd never know about Pantheon. The promotional video should be about Pantheon, not you.

Just my interpretation of what was stated, I may be wrong.

Rachael

This post was edited by Rachael at February 12, 2016 7:42 AM PST
    • 1095 posts
    February 12, 2016 7:58 AM PST

That Aich guy what a troll. BTW I'm still here.

I don't have a problem with the policy.

This post was edited by Aich at February 12, 2016 8:00 AM PST
    • 563 posts
    February 12, 2016 7:59 AM PST

Aich said:

Glad your still here Aich! :D

• 1095 posts
    February 12, 2016 8:03 AM PST

Rachael said:

Aich said:

Glad your still here Aich! :D

Why thank you lol

BTW I saw that video when Brad did the interview with Boogie back when it was released. I think I knew about the game before then but was a good video.

• 378 posts
    February 13, 2016 4:44 PM PST

Speaking of advitsments, Just saw my first Ad for Pantheon on the TOG website, will we see more of this to come moving forward ?