Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What type of in Game community would you like to see

• 428 posts
    February 2, 2016 3:20 PM PST

Greetings all,

I have played quite a few MMO and was curious what everyones thoughts were on how to best police in game players behaviors.  I feel you have a couple of choices

1: EVE style.  you can say or do anything you want.  Lie cheat steal scam grief ETC ETC ETC as long as you arent exploiting bugs the Game masters do not care.  I enjoyed being able the way EVE handled things honestly it left it up to the community to police itself you could either place bounties on people that upset you or pay them back or ignore them and blacklist them.

2:  EQ2, WOW style.  No real swearing or lets say heated arguements in public no griefing ETC ETC. Guild chat was a free for all though.

• 409 posts
    February 2, 2016 3:28 PM PST

Swearings fine.. strong believer in the freedom of expression and opinions. "Sticks n stones".
    Eve style? absolutely not. I'd like to see a improved EverQuest one. People playing together being social.. engaged with the game vs the world and not each other.

This post was edited by Nimryl at February 2, 2016 3:30 PM PST
    • 2130 posts
    February 2, 2016 3:44 PM PST

Context-aware moderation. No racism. No real-life threats. No telling people to commit suicide. Pretty basic stuff.

If something cool happens and I say "HOLY F***" in /shout, I don't want to get a suspension/warning for it. If I tell someone they're a f****** idiot and they should hang themselves in a closet, that is something that should probably warrant a suspension.

At the end of the day, I just don't want to feel like I'm playing a game made for children where calling someone an ass warrants some drastic action. It's really not that hard. If people want to talk about politics and stuff I don't really care, as long as they're not threatening to drive to someone's house and shoot them because they're voting for a specific candidate.

It's a game for adults, generally, and adults should have the ability to use curse words. It's the internet.

• 1714 posts
    February 2, 2016 3:46 PM PST

Kalgore said:

Greetings all,

I have played quite a few MMO and was curious what everyones thoughts were on how to best police in game players behaviors.  I feel you have a couple of choices

1: EVE style.  you can say or do anything you want.  Lie cheat steal scam grief ETC ETC ETC as long as you arent exploiting bugs the Game masters do not care.  I enjoyed being able the way EVE handled things honestly it left it up to the community to police itself you could either place bounties on people that upset you or pay them back or ignore them and blacklist them.

2:  EQ2, WOW style.  No real swearing or lets say heated arguements in public no griefing ETC ETC. Guild chat was a free for all though.

This is a PVE game.  Circumventing the PVE switch is not acceptable. Swearing is just a filter. Done. 

• 1714 posts
    February 2, 2016 3:47 PM PST

Liav said:

Context-aware moderation. No racism. No real-life threats. No telling people to commit suicide. Pretty basic stuff.

If something cool happens and I say "HOLY F***" in /shout, I don't want to get a suspension/warning for it. If I tell someone they're a f****** idiot and they should hang themselves in a closet, that is something that should probably warrant a suspension.

At the end of the day, I just don't want to feel like I'm playing a game made for children where calling someone an ass warrants some drastic action. It's really not that hard. If people want to talk about politics and stuff I don't really care, as long as they're not threatening to drive to someone's house and shoot them because they're voting for a specific candidate.

It's a game for adults, generally, and adults should have the ability to use curse words. It's the internet.

Yep. 

• 105 posts
    February 2, 2016 4:55 PM PST

To be honest, one thing I liked in EQ that I haven't seen as much since was the idea that there shouldn't be free or easy experience. So if soneone found a pathing exploit or a perch and used it they could expect to hear from the GM eventually.

There should be an OOC channel and whatever you want to say there is fine, but most players don't want shout filled with political talk or swearing. That way if they don't want to hear it they can just turn off the ooc channel. I don't know if it needs to be moderated as long as the devs define what is generally expected then the players can police it.

Just as an asside, IMHO swearing is more childish than adult, as in something a child who hasn't learned self control would say and/or someone who hasn't learned how to behave in public. In other words it seems like impulse control problem to me, or a teenager still trying to appear rebelious, but that's just my opinion and I realize a lot of prople would disagree. Having said that, there's a difference between saying holy f*** in shout and telling someone f*** you.

• 409 posts
    February 2, 2016 5:10 PM PST

@Kayd It's not always childish behavior, it can be a cultural thing. Different classes have different cultures too, so not even the same country has the exact same culture.

Anyway... I think the main problem people have is with direct swearing. Where it's aimed at someone, for example "f**k you!, you d**k!".. indirect however is usually fine, for example "oh cr*p, oh sh*t!, god d*amnit!" etc.

This post was edited by Nimryl at February 2, 2016 5:11 PM PST
    • 2419 posts
    February 2, 2016 5:39 PM PST

Kalgore said:

As an EVE player of nearly 10 years I know that you cannot "say anything you want".  People get suspended and even banned all the time over inappropriate comments made in public channels (local, regional, NPC corp, etc).  CCP Games is quite quick to pounce on people who go overboard.

As for doing anything you want, you're almost correct.  Yes, there are very very few restriction on your actions but CCP still has actions it considered exploits or violate their ToS and will suspend/ban often with no warning at all.

You really cannot apply EVE attitudes to Pantheon as the two games (even if VR introduces PvP) would barely be comparable to each other.

• 85 posts
    February 2, 2016 9:21 PM PST

Krixus said:

Liav said:

Yep. 

Yep yep.

• 724 posts
    February 3, 2016 12:08 AM PST

I definitely don't want "Lie cheat steal scam grief ETC ETC ETC" in Pantheon. Ok lying maybe :) but everything else on that list should be bannable offenses.

Besides that, what I mostly desire is a PATIENT community. I'm so tired of the "go go go" mentality in other games. You're not playing against the clock, people!

• 1434 posts
    February 3, 2016 2:58 AM PST

If the game is heavily multiplayer, meaning people actually need each other again, the worst of those crimes will follow players. Accountability was the biggest difference in EQ and other mmos, because by yourself you achieved little. Even guilds that harbored players with bad reputations did poorly. That is the kind of community I want to see again, and whether it exists or not will depend on entirely how much players need to rely on each other. The more that can be accomplished solo, the less accountability we will see.

• 671 posts
    February 3, 2016 6:25 AM PST

EVE = PvP sci-fi fantasy game

EQ2 = PvE high fantasy game

EVE has a lot of politics and egos played out on the forums, because it has no landmass, or actual people to pigeon hold. You are essentially a ship, not a person. Most of EVE's gameplay is meta and no actual action. Thus jaw jacking becomes the best way to vent your testosterone.

WoW/EQ2 are nothing like EVE.

I don't see anything that remotely linking the two player bases (EVE players & Pantheon players), or why Pantheon players would have so much need for cross-server antagonizing, or powder puff banter from guilds. 

Players will be accountable for their Character's action in Pantheon. Leveling will be hard and you only get one character. Those who make a bad name for their Character, will either have to learn to be nice and have Terminus society accept them, or delete the Character and roll a new one. (ie: start over)

This post was edited by Hieromonk at February 3, 2016 6:30 AM PST
    • 116 posts
    February 3, 2016 10:10 AM PST

Hieromonk said:

Players will be accountable for their Character's action in Pantheon. Leveling will be hard and you only get one character. Those who make a bad name for their Character, will either have to learn to be nice and have Terminus society accept them, or delete the Character and roll a new one. (ie: start over)

Are those actual facts in a game that isn't finalized yet or, again, facts you made up in your mind based on what Brad might have said at some point? I would love to see a link where it is confirmed we only have one character.

• 1778 posts
    February 3, 2016 10:26 AM PST
    Definitely not confirmed. There will be Alts last I checked.
    • 999 posts
    February 3, 2016 11:07 AM PST
    @Mekada

There's been no discussion from the Devs on having only one character per server - so its a safe assumption to assume alts will be an option. However, much like anything if Pantheon's population could support it and enough people wanted it - Im sure they'd look into a special rule set server down the line. EQ had one similar with the FV Server (RP server) when it was first launched.
    • 9115 posts
    February 3, 2016 2:59 PM PST

Mekada said:

Hieromonk said:

Are those actual facts in a game that isn't finalized yet or, again, facts you made up in your mind based on what Brad might have said at some point? I would love to see a link where it is confirmed we only have one character.

Definitely not fact, we will have multiple character slots for alts like we did in EQ and VG.

• 1095 posts
    February 3, 2016 4:23 PM PST

Hieromonk said:

and you only get one character. Those who make a bad name for their Character, will either have to learn to be nice and have Terminus society accept them, or delete the Character and roll a new one. (ie: start over)

Da faq you smoking bro? haha

• 110 posts
    February 3, 2016 5:10 PM PST

only been back here for a short bit but I'm nearly convinced Heiromonk is a practiced troll. Anyway, I prefer a player policed (thru blacklisting folks) combined with a very active GM group.

• 105 posts
    February 3, 2016 5:16 PM PST

Nimryl said:

@Kayd It's not always childish behavior, it can be a cultural thing. Different classes have different cultures too, so not even the same country has the exact same culture.

Very astute comment. It's all a matter of culture when it comes right down to it.

This post was edited by Kayd at February 3, 2016 5:19 PM PST