Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

DEATH TO THE AUCTION HOUSE!!!

This topic has been closed.
    • 21 posts
    October 5, 2016 12:34 AM PDT

They should do just like Black Desert online when it comes to this, certain areas have the market place access and that's it. I think also, they could learn a thing or two from the drive of BDO's market prices based on need, availabiliy and what it is used for (Alchemy stuff is very expensive).

I kinda agree with this thread.

On a note, again, they should do just like BDO, make it where you can buy a home in a main city and not put houses all over the place.

• 213 posts
    January 28, 2017 10:33 PM PST

The community here seems very divided on the subject of an Auction house.  Why not make it easy on everyone and make a server for people who want and don't want one.

• 521 posts
    January 29, 2017 5:15 AM PST

I would prefer a system that allows players to browse a listing of wares being sold from player shops, a sorta local Bazaar in town, but to get those goods you must travel to the shop where the item is being sold. They only thing the Bazaar gave you was the convince of know where to go for the item you wanted, and being able to browse whats available.

Basically what SWG did, because after awhile I had a list of my favorite crafters and their shops so I used the bazaar less, but I would hate anything like what ESO did with the player guild stores, so much so id rather just have a full blown auction house over that worthless turd of a system in ESO.

• 411 posts
    January 29, 2017 5:20 AM PST
    The community is indeed very divided, but the community is divided on a great many issues. I could say that we shouldn't be hasty and that we should wait and see what VR has figured out for this and go from there, but I think your suggestion hits on something more fundamental than an individual mechanic. If you create a new server type for each dividing issue then not only do you exponentially (literally) increase your server type count and the dev's balancing work, but the game may also lose its sense of identity. I'm not saying that new server types should never be created, but I do think the bar has to be much higher than "the community disagrees".
    • 169 posts
    January 29, 2017 5:29 AM PST

I would be OK with player vendors, but it seems to kill the whole concept of haggling over prices.  The person just sets a price and that's it since they aren't there to negotiate.  You will never get an old world trading feel from that.

The auction house is just a modern day online marketplace.  One can argue weather it belongs or not, but it is a much different style and makes the world feel modern instead of set in olden times.

• 521 posts
    January 29, 2017 5:35 AM PST

UnknownQuantity said:

I would be OK with player vendors, but it seems to kill the whole concept of haggling over prices.  The person just sets a price and that's it since they aren't there to negotiate.  You will never get an old world trading feel from that.

The auction house is just a modern day online marketplace.  One can argue weather it belongs or not, but it is a much different style and makes the world feel modern instead of set in olden times.

negotiate the price lol 

• 1303 posts
    January 29, 2017 5:38 AM PST

HemlockReaper said:

UnknownQuantity said:

negotiate the price lol 

Apparently I dont get the joke. 

• 68 posts
    January 29, 2017 8:18 AM PST

Why do people like to haggle over prices? I dont know anyone who likes to buy a car because of where you buy them. A game wide auction house is the best option for me. I want to get in and out as fast as possible so I can get back to grouping/raiding/whatever.

It's also a little silly to say old world feel to trading. These people have mastered magic, instant transport of people(and if people can go around the world in an instant so can items) machines and can build massive cities. You guys are implying they cannot get some kind of world wide trading system down?

Come to the darksi......Err i mean auction house side people! Wandering around for hours looking for that trade skill peice will lose its novelty reeeeaaaallly quickly after launch.

• 2130 posts
    January 29, 2017 8:23 AM PST

Gamerchick said:

The community here seems very divided on the subject of an Auction house.  Why not make it easy on everyone and make a server for people who want and don't want one.

Making servers to cater to every single little niche splinters the playerbase and will kill a game. It's best if silly things like this are just decided on globally.

That said, I can't believe this thread is 22 pages long.

• 521 posts
    January 29, 2017 9:20 AM PST

Feyshtey said:

HemlockReaper said:

UnknownQuantity said:

negotiate the price lol 

Apparently I dont get the joke. 

I find it funny when someone says they want to haggle over the price, because their saying they like dealing with a seller who has inflated the price enough to allow for wiggle room to strike a deal. This may make the buyer feel good, but in the end they still paid to much.

• 175 posts
    January 29, 2017 9:21 AM PST

beautifully said:

Why do people like to haggle over prices? I dont know anyone who likes to buy a car because of where you buy them. A game wide auction house is the best option for me. I want to get in and out as fast as possible so I can get back to grouping/raiding/whatever.

This is the basic argument I've read in this long thread from those asking for an AH or something akin to it. Can you not see the best option for you is not the best option for the health and longevity of the game? I don't understand those supposedly wanting a game like EQ but keep arguing for all the conveniences of the modern MMO. Is there any argument for an AH that invole convenience??

IF beautifully HAD said:

Why do people like to group/raid? I dont know anyone who likes challenging content because of the mechanics of the fight. Easy access to the best items in the game is the best option for me. I want to get in and out as fast as possible so I can get back to trading and haggling over prices.

There is no difference in your argument. You want something you don't enjoy to be eliminated from the game because it inconveniences you, so why not the opposite? The slow trickle of convenience from year to year is what killed the MMO genre and has left so many of us begging for a return to EQ.

All these requests for an AH... there are plenty of players who would gladly buy your hard earned wares at a very reduced price (for your convenience) that they will then spend the time necessary to get a good profit from. So the only real arguments for an AH is the 1) loss of profit and 2) I don't want to talk to people. I would argue this is exactly why any type of AH should NOT be in the game.

This post was edited by Archaen at January 29, 2017 9:28 AM PST
    • 175 posts
    January 29, 2017 9:36 AM PST

About the concern of 3rd party website AH... it would be a mistake to add an AH simply because someone might set up a website to do the same. First, you could make the same argument about RMT websites. Fortunately we have evidence of what this does to a game when you both add an AH and add RMT to your game. Both WoW and GW2 have done this, and their economy is in a shambles. Additionally, progressing anything related to the economy (such as tradeskills) is a matter of $15-$20 and you max your skill. I say keep these things where they belong... in the back alleys of the internet.

• 1303 posts
    January 29, 2017 11:20 AM PST

beautifully said:

Why do people like to haggle over prices? I dont know anyone who likes to buy a car because of where you buy them. 

Go to a car dealership and ask them if they will take your antique grandfather clock valued at $15,000 for the used Camaro they have on the lot. Buying from a vendor assumes you have the cash. And if there's no one actually at the keyboard to bargain with, bartering is not an option. There are a lot of people that find the process of trying to make a series of trades to eventually gain a wanted item of greater value to be really fun. I'm one of them. 

HemlockReaper said:

I find it funny when someone says they want to haggle over the price, because their saying they like dealing with a seller who has inflated the price enough to allow for wiggle room to strike a deal. This may make the buyer feel good, but in the end they still paid to much.

Working from the premise that the price can be flexible based purely on an assumption of greed of the seller is pretty narrow minded. See previous comment about haggling for terms of a barter, as opposed to the specific price. But going further, just because someone has, say, raw iron ore for sale for 1pp each, doesnt mean that its unreasonable to bargain for bulk rate if you're willing to buy out all 1000 of the raw  iron ore that dealer has. And again, noone at the merchant keyboard, no haggling. Even if you leave those two very real examples out of the equation, just because a person has an item up for sale for a price it doesnt gaurantee that the seller actually knows what a fair market value is. There are always those people who arent the types to go parsing every other competitor out there that's ever sold an item and poll people to see what they should ask for an item, and they just take a random stab at a number and throw it out there. But when asked if they are willing to take "X", they will accept happily. 

This post was edited by Feyshtey at January 29, 2017 11:20 AM PST
    • 52 posts
    January 29, 2017 11:58 AM PST

Not everyone can dedicate 4-8 hours a week, and of those hours, spend 1-2 looking for items or selling said items.

An auction house / bazaar allows a floor price to be set for items where there are similar items, so that another person can in person live auction or haggle. I have done it many times.

Also, when you are looking for spider silks and pelts (for tailoring?), bone chips (for pets ?), and other various farmable tradeskill items, it allows tradeskillers to flourish, and the developers to put something into the game with more widespread use, so that more casual players (or those that can dedicate 1-2 hours a week to selling their wares to make money, or items for friends ?), have something to buy if they don't have time to farm it themselves.

There is punishment for not playing enough...removing the aution house capability shouldn't be one of them, and especially since it doesn't necessarily negate haggling, it can indeed encourage it.

And ..aren't you sick of people spamming the auction or even general chat or OOC channels with stuff they have to sell ? that COULD be kept to a more reasonable level.  Let's face it . you're online and have a few valuable items to sell , you might just say a thing or 2 in those channels anyways.

• 1303 posts
    January 29, 2017 12:25 PM PST

Euther said:

Not everyone can dedicate 4-8 hours a week, and of those hours, spend 1-2 looking for items or selling said items.

An auction house / bazaar allows a floor price to be set for items where there are similar items, so that another person can in person live auction or haggle. I have done it many times.

Also, when you are looking for spider silks and pelts (for tailoring?), bone chips (for pets ?), and other various farmable tradeskill items, it allows tradeskillers to flourish, and the developers to put something into the game with more widespread use, so that more casual players (or those that can dedicate 1-2 hours a week to selling their wares to make money, or items for friends ?), have something to buy if they don't have time to farm it themselves.

There is punishment for not playing enough...removing the aution house capability shouldn't be one of them, and especially since it doesn't necessarily negate haggling, it can indeed encourage it.

And ..aren't you sick of people spamming the auction or even general chat or OOC channels with stuff they have to sell ? that COULD be kept to a more reasonable level.  Let's face it . you're online and have a few valuable items to sell , you might just say a thing or 2 in those channels anyways.

In no particular order... 

1) How do tradeskillers "flourish" when there are 100 crafted iron broadswords for sale on the AH? How is an equitable value for the item maintained when the supply vastly out strips the demand? And that's not something issolated to the low level skill-up type items. It works equally in regard to the higher level items with hard to obtain materials that 1000 {insert tradeskiller type here} is producing. Those people with limited playtime available to them have essentially no viable way to make their tradeskill a profitable endeavor when they spend their playtime obtaining the components (or cash to buy them) and know full well they will never get their investment back. Sure, they can farm items to sell to buy things people are crafting for a low cost related to expense of the creator, but that means they are encouraged to sit and farm items to sell for an equally deflated price, while complaining about the lack of available camps for casual players because they hardcore farmers sit there in the best camps for 10 hours straight every night to... wait for it... farm items to sell to get cash to buy things they actually want.

2) What MMO at this point doesnt have the ability to create chat tabs and filter chat types? A few seconds of research (if you need it) and a few more of configuring a trade windows mitigates the trade spam you're complaining about to a place that you need to spend any attention on, and which doesnt interfere in any way with the text you want to see. What games don't have an ignore for those players that abuse the system and constantly spam inappropriate channels with trade chat that you can right-click and never see again? 

3) One of the most fundimental arguments by proponents of an AH is the assertion that casual players  can't spend hours sitting in a trade channel trying to find itemX or sell itemY. Why would you have to? A simple chat macro created in a few seconds that says "WTB bone chips : 1pp per", tapped once upon entering every zone you travel thru will eventually net you all those necessities you could need, and you never even have to go to an AH to get them.  The same can be said for a macro that says "WTS PGT". And it can gain you those sales or purchases for the people that have crap littering their banks they never bothered to put into an AH, or who just got the item, or an myriad other reasons. Not only do you get what you want, at the price you're willing to offer/pay, but it adds the demention of planning ahead to the game rather than the "I want it now even though I failed to think things thru, and I demand the right to get it."

This post was edited by Feyshtey at January 29, 2017 12:28 PM PST
    • 157 posts
    January 29, 2017 12:55 PM PST

Will throw a vote in for EQ's early bazaar system, turning your toon into a merchant. You couldn't just throw items into a system to sell for you. It required your toon to be online and not doing anything else in order to barter your wares. This could have the upside (in my opinion) of creating more income for VR by generating more accounts made to specifically carry out this funtion while people play their main account. I would also suspect it caters a bit less towards cheaters / botters / gold farmers.

• 999 posts
    January 29, 2017 1:13 PM PST

Feyshtey said:

Euther said:

In no particular order... 

1) How do tradeskillers "flourish" when there are 100 crafted iron broadswords for sale on the AH? How is an equitable value for the item maintained when the supply vastly out strips the demand? And that's not something issolated to the low level skill-up type items. It works equally in regard to the higher level items with hard to obtain materials that 1000 {insert tradeskiller type here} is producing. Those people with limited playtime available to them have essentially no viable way to make their tradeskill a profitable endeavor when they spend their playtime obtaining the components (or cash to buy them) and know full well they will never get their investment back. Sure, they can farm items to sell to buy things people are crafting for a low cost related to expense of the creator, but that means they are encouraged to sit and farm items to sell for an equally deflated price, while complaining about the lack of available camps for casual players because they hardcore farmers sit there in the best camps for 10 hours straight every night to... wait for it... farm items to sell to get cash to buy things they actually want.

2) What MMO at this point doesnt have the ability to create chat tabs and filter chat types? A few seconds of research (if you need it) and a few more of configuring a trade windows mitigates the trade spam you're complaining about to a place that you need to spend any attention on, and which doesnt interfere in any way with the text you want to see. What games don't have an ignore for those players that abuse the system and constantly spam inappropriate channels with trade chat that you can right-click and never see again? 

3) One of the most fundimental arguments by proponents of an AH is the assertion that casual players  can't spend hours sitting in a trade channel trying to find itemX or sell itemY. Why would you have to? A simple chat macro created in a few seconds that says "WTB bone chips : 1pp per", tapped once upon entering every zone you travel thru will eventually net you all those necessities you could need, and you never even have to go to an AH to get them.  The same can be said for a macro that says "WTS PGT". And it can gain you those sales or purchases for the people that have crap littering their banks they never bothered to put into an AH, or who just got the item, or an myriad other reasons. Not only do you get what you want, at the price you're willing to offer/pay, but it adds the demention of planning ahead to the game rather than the "I want it now even though I failed to think things thru, and I demand the right to get it."

Excellent post Feyshtey.  Agreed 100%.

• 159 posts
    January 29, 2017 1:31 PM PST

My thoughts on the entire matter:

I'm not 20yrs old with 16 hrs of game time a day anymore.  Between having to travel everywhere in game, group content and crafting (all I want) I don't have the time to stay up all night /auc'ing to sell all my loot.  Yes the big items I want a certain price for or I'll be willing to trade for, sure...I'll save them up and spend a night or two in EC tunnel mode.  

I'd like auction houses, linked to individual cities (and you need the faction for merchants there to sell to you to broker there) where I can sell my trade supplies, looted potions,and other day to day stuff I want to unload (or considered twink gear).  I'd like to see a 20% tax applied to the seller to pull money out of the game for using said broker services.  They hold your money until you go back and retrieve it.  

Maybe have the brokerage standardize prices so if I put a dagger of orcish bile up for 25plat and you put one up for 23 to under cut me, while someone else has one up for 50 it prices all 3 at 32plat, adjusted daily so if you take awhile to sell you can loose big due to supply vs demand.  We each (assuming all 3 sell the same day)  take home 25 .6 plat when we pick up our money next time we are in town.

Either way I'll survive but I'll be really put out if there's an API linked app or RSS feed that taps into trade channel to publish out if game everyone's auctions 

This post was edited by Xilshale at January 29, 2017 1:48 PM PST
    • 169 posts
    January 29, 2017 1:36 PM PST

I mentioned this in another thread, but this isn't real life.  Someone might not like to go through a snowstorm or other dangerous situations in real life.  They also wouldn't want to kill people in real life, steal, go through a horror movie type experience, etc.  

Someone might enjoy the mini game of haggling for prices.  I didn't do it much in EQ, but it keep things a bit more rare and not everyone knew about every item avialable.  You could even buy items that players dumped to vendors and resell them for a lot more money.  Someone could quickly buy and item and resell it for a higher price from another player.  These types of mini games are not available for people who enjoy them if there is an auciton house or player vendor system.

I believe the best thing that comes out of it is the limiting of information about items in game.  You might be able to find the information outside of the game, but you will have to make a greater effort.

• 21 posts
    January 29, 2017 2:06 PM PST

Xilshale said:

My thoughts on the entire matter:

I'm not 20yrs old with 16 hrs of game time a day anymore.  Between having to travel everywhere in game, group content and crafting (all I want) I don't have the time to stay up all night /auc'ing to sell all my loot.  Yes the big items I want a certain price for or I'll be willing to trade for, sure...I'll save them up and spend a night or two in EC tunnel mode.  

I'd like auction houses, linked to individual cities (and you need the faction for merchants there to sell to you to broker there) where I can sell my trade supplies, looted potions,and other day to day stuff I want to unload (or considered twink gear).  I'd like to see a 20% tax applied to the seller to pull money out of the game for using said broker services.  They hold your money until you go back and retrieve it.  

Maybe have the brokerage standardize prices so if I put a dagger of orcish bile up for 25plat and you put one up for 23 to under cut me, while someone else has one up for 50 it prices all 3 at 32plat, adjusted daily so if you take awhile to sell you can loose big due to supply vs demand.

Either way I'll survive but I'll be really put out if there's an API linked app or RSS feed that taps into trade channel to publish out if game everyone's auctions 

I posted a similar idea in another thread, with the exception that the auction houses be replaced with avid trader players, and the tax or fee is negotiable itself. I would want to bring the people who don't want to spend a lot of time and the people that absolutely want to spend a lot of time trading together.

The people that are into trading could list themselves as trading intermediaries for people to contract, maybe you could also state in what kind of merchandise you specialize, if you do so. So if you want to sell something and couldn't be bothered to do so yourself, you'd just open your trading interface and look for a trader that runs the goods you plan to sell. You set a contract with him to sell your 50 pelts within 48 hours at a minimum of X currency, tax 10% per piece, or a flat fee of X currency, or whatever. The actual items, of course, would never go into possession of the intermediary, but be stored in a "trading depot" in some way, so if he finds a buyer, it will be transferred, the trader gets his cut, and the seller the rest.

For the buyers and the traders to actually meet, there should be market places in all the major cities. but they shouldn't be limited to it.

The upside is, the people that are taking their trading seriously, can also take contracts of other players and make extra money on the side. Let's say, you take your alchemy profession seriously and sell your alchemy ingredients and potions regularly on the bazaar. Would it hurt you if people would send you contracts on selling a little extra stuff on the side? for a cut of 10%? Or whatever cut you were comfortable with?

And the people who don't want to spend time to trade "the old way", they simply don't have to, since someone with time, connections and the right place will do it for them.

• 521 posts
    January 29, 2017 2:26 PM PST

Feyshtey said:

beautifully said:

Why do people like to haggle over prices? I dont know anyone who likes to buy a car because of where you buy them. 

Go to a car dealership and ask them if they will take your antique grandfather clock valued at $15,000 for the used Camaro they have on the lot. Buying from a vendor assumes you have the cash. And if there's no one actually at the keyboard to bargain with, bartering is not an option. There are a lot of people that find the process of trying to make a series of trades to eventually gain a wanted item of greater value to be really fun. I'm one of them. 

HemlockReaper said:

Working from the premise that the price can be flexible based purely on an assumption of greed of the seller is pretty narrow minded. See previous comment about haggling for terms of a barter, as opposed to the specific price. But going further, just because someone has, say, raw iron ore for sale for 1pp each, doesnt mean that its unreasonable to bargain for bulk rate if you're willing to buy out all 1000 of the raw  iron ore that dealer has. And again, noone at the merchant keyboard, no haggling. Even if you leave those two very real examples out of the equation, just because a person has an item up for sale for a price it doesnt gaurantee that the seller actually knows what a fair market value is. There are always those people who arent the types to go parsing every other competitor out there that's ever sold an item and poll people to see what they should ask for an item, and they just take a random stab at a number and throw it out there. But when asked if they are willing to take "X", they will accept happily. 

As a crafter I’ve already calculated my cost for the product I’m selling, which does not include fake cost from my time gathering mats, but only what I actually spent of my own money to produce the item, (usually very minimal) so the price is as cheap as it could be already, so no I wont haggle, my prices are always set as low as they could be and still have a very small profit.

Raw mats is a good example of inflated cost. Raw mats have no value since their free if you go get them yourself, and are naturally inflated so theres haggle room because people tend to think their time is worth more than it really is, or they greedy adventures who make money harvesting on the side.

So when someone says they want to be able to haggle, their saying they want to deal with someone shady who has inflated prices, and not an honest merchant.

• 542 posts
    January 29, 2017 2:49 PM PST

And what about a global trade network where the delivery distance is decided by how well players protect the tradeposts and roads?
    We get to to keep the roads & tradeposts safe.As well as giving help to merchants,supply them with the tools and resources.
    In return the merchants get to upgrade their transport methods;faster deliveries and expanding the covered delivery area.
    There would be interplay between the trade network services in an area and our involvement that way.
    In the end I love juicy deals in all forms <3

• 1303 posts
    January 29, 2017 3:19 PM PST

HemlockReaper said:

As a crafter I’ve already calculated my cost for the product I’m selling, which does not include fake cost from my time gathering mats, but only what I actually spent of my own money to produce the item, (usually very minimal) so the price is as cheap as it could be already, so no I wont haggle, my prices are always set as low as they could be and still have a very small profit.

Raw mats is a good example of inflated cost. Raw mats have no value since their free if you go get them yourself, and are naturally inflated so theres haggle room because people tend to think their time is worth more than it really is, or they greedy adventures who make money harvesting on the side.

So when someone says they want to be able to haggle, their saying they want to deal with someone shady who has inflated prices, and not an honest merchant.

As a crafter in a game with an AH, have you factored in the impact of there being hundres of any of the items you can craft openly available from dozens, or even hundreds of fellow crafters? When there are a plethora of an item available in a searchable AH the cost to you to create it is irrelevent to the price you are forced to sell at. The price is set entirely based on availability, and like with any economic system when there's a flooding of the market the price of the goods will drop below any profitable measure for the seller. Sure, that's great for the buyer. But it pretty much screws the economy for any producer, and is in part why there are so many complaints from MMO players about why crafting is broken because it's meaningless. [edit] And unlike a real economy none of the factors that influence the cost of creation are present because the creation process is a hard-coded static thing. You can't find a way to increase production rates, reduce costs, or distribute more efficiently or reliably. Ironically, lacking an AH you can do a better job of marketing, and the more dedicated and more proficient merchant can become more successful and close those cost gaps. 

Raw mats having an inflated price has far less to do with them being "free" and there being haggle room, and much more to do with the deflation of currency. When you can buy tier 4 gear on a tier 2 character by selling teir 2 mats, something is broken. People arent basing the price of the mats on the value of those mats. They are basing the price on the fact that the value of the currency is so low that paying ridiculous sums for tier 2 mats is relatively meaningless, and people choose to just toss the money around for convenience. When you have 50,000pp in the bank and you can accrue 1000pp an hour as a side effect of questing/xp-grinding, throwing a 1000pp out for what would take that tier 2 player weeks of gameplay to accrue is meaningless to the buyer. It throws the market completely out of whack. This is, again an issue of something being broken, and an AH doesnt address this in any way. It just makes it that much more convenient and take that much less consideration of the buyer to engage in the transaction. 

And I think its asinine to say that because someone is willing to pay a price that the seller is the shady party in the deal. It's a truism that "a thing is only worth what someone is willing to pay". Another truism is "buyer beware", as is "(s)he has more money than sense". You want to lay any blame for a price at the feet of the seller, and excuse the factors that set that price or the idiocy of the buyers. 

This post was edited by Feyshtey at January 29, 2017 3:22 PM PST
    • 3237 posts
    January 29, 2017 3:39 PM PST

I haven't really had the opportunity to read through every page on this, but I'd like to give my take on Auction Houses in general.

First off, I am in favor of localizing the AH experience.  Different parts of the world should have their own exclusive AH.  This can help with providing a more robust market for specific items/crafters, and also encourage people to travel around the world to find the best deal on something, if that's something that they have the time to do.  I know a lot of people feel that an AH removes player interaction but I completely disagree.  I have had hundreds of experiences on various MMO's where I would send messages to sellers to try and haggle a better price.  If they weren't logged in, I would add them to my friends list.  Because of this, I feel that Auction Houses can actually help facilitate interaction between players that otherwise never would have happened.

Another thing to consider is that AH's can be a very effective way to drain money from the economy, or what most people would refer to as an in-game plat sink.  It's very important to have various in-game plat sinks to help combat inflation.  Overall, the convenience of having an AH far outweighs any potential disruption in player interaction that some people are worried about.  That's just my opinion.  I've already stated that AH's can actually help facilitate interaction between players because it allows sellers to have a much broader reach to the player base as a whole, especially considering that the world will basically be open 24/7.  Let's say there is a blacksmith that primarily plays in the morning, but I mostly play at night.  There is an obvious conflict in our playtimes, but an AH is a great way to still allow us to interact, even if it's indirect.

Rather than removing AH's altogether, I think it would be better to manage how AH's are operated in the first place.  I think there should be a fee just to place something on the AH.  This will discourage people from constantly undercutting their competition.  Having an AH in the game doesen't prevent people from interacting with other players.  You're not forced to put your items up on there.  In fact, because of the fees, a lot of crafters or sellers can still advertise their wares in various channels at a better rate than what would be available on the AH.  This works with both buying and selling.  There have been plenty of times where I would reach out to a seller and see if I could purchase something from them directly, especially on high ticket items.  Basically we can split the 10% fee ... I get the item 5% cheaper, and they make 5% more profit.

Beyond these player interaction incentives, it also provides a convenient way for people to stock up on various things without having to go to all of the remote places in the world where they are usually obtainable.  Personally, I wouldn't want to have to travel to 1 city to get my level 40 upgraded sword, and then go to another city to get my shield, another to get my plate armor, and yet another to get my trinkets/consumables.  That's a huge time investment that I'd rather spend on actually grouping with my friends and doing other in game content.  I'm fine with doing these things occassionally, as I outlined earlier, but to have to do this every single time I reach a new milestone on my character?  The thought of it makes me cringe.  It all depends on what I have going on ... there will be times where I'm willing to travel or go out of my way to meet up with someone, and there will be other times where I just want to stock up and meet with my party.

This post was edited by oneADseven at January 29, 2017 3:44 PM PST
    • 11 posts
    January 29, 2017 7:31 PM PST

I love how all the AH haters describe how great the experience was sitting around for hours at a time selling and buying items in EQ... I wonder why they impimented the BAZZAR in EQ then if it was so great and everyone loved taking xtra time to sell items ... weird how they evolved the system if half of the people here claim its "perfection"