Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Betryal quests anyone?

• 66 posts
    January 28, 2016 12:00 PM PST

One thing I loved about EQ2 when it was first released was the class/race restrictions that could be overcome by doing a very lengthy, tedious, and difficult betrayal quest. I believe later on they made the quest completely trivial, and it was no longer as cool.

I would love to see something simliar in Pantheon. It allows for players to customize their characters in a unique way if they are willing to put in the time for it.

What say ye?

• 106 posts
    January 28, 2016 12:28 PM PST
    More details? Could you like wear another classes gear? Or change your class all together? Sounds interesting
    • 137 posts
    January 28, 2016 2:23 PM PST
    What exactly could they do to their characters that made them unique?
    • 1095 posts
    January 28, 2016 2:25 PM PST

Deadlyfury said: More details? Could you like wear another classes gear? Or change your class all together? Sounds interesting

There were race/class restrictions like Iksar coun;t be a Paladin. But you could betray from Freeport and go to Qeynos and do the betrayal quest to gain Qeynos citizen ship then go and become a Paladin. I did this, was fun being an Iksar Paladin.

• 106 posts
    January 28, 2016 2:39 PM PST
    WOW! that's very cool lore.

Would be good if like you said it was VERY hard to do, could make for some really unique players, and seeing one of them in the world, you would know "that guy really tried hard to become an iksar pally"

Such a good idea!
    • 2419 posts
    January 28, 2016 3:00 PM PST

Linkamus said:

One thing I loved about EQ2 when it was first released was the class/race restrictions that could be overcome by doing a very lengthy, tedious, and difficult betrayal quest. I believe later on they made the quest completely trivial, and it was no longer as cool.

I would love to see something simliar in Pantheon. It allows for players to customize their characters in a unique way if they are willing to put in the time for it.

What say ye?

THe concept worked for EQ2 because the game had just 2 'sides'...the good side in Qeynos and the evil side in Freeport.  The two side were locked off from each other so the only way to 'switch sides' was to do the betrayal quest. And to be honest it isn't like you could really change classes.  You started off as a Crusader as your base class and that remains unchanged. You just went from being a ShadowKnight (evil sub-class of Crusader) to a Paladin (good sub-class of Crusader). You couldn't go from being an Iksar Shadowknight to an Iksar Wizard.

• 66 posts
    January 29, 2016 8:46 AM PST

Wigg said: What exactly could they do to their characters that made them unique?

You could have class/race combinations that were very uncommon. Like a dark elf ranger, for instance.

• 66 posts
    January 29, 2016 8:48 AM PST

Deadlyfury said: WOW! that's very cool lore. Would be good if like you said it was VERY hard to do, could make for some really unique players, and seeing one of them in the world, you would know "that guy really tried hard to become an iksar pally" Such a good idea!

Yes, the original betrayal quests were very hard. I remember as a dark elf, wanting to become a ranger, I had to convince Qeynos I was loyal to them by killing thousands of gnolls, and a bunch of named gnolls from all over.. It took me a long time. Most people did not do betrayal quests because they were a pain, which made people that did do it have a unique flare to their character.

This post was edited by Linkamus at January 29, 2016 8:49 AM PST
    • 610 posts
    January 29, 2016 9:27 AM PST

No thanks on this, as Vandraad said it worked in EQ2 because there were 2 sides...in Pantheon hopefully each Race will be its own faction. And even if you could switch home towns I really hope they dont allow you to change classes....The restrictions are there for a reason and this just skirts by those. If they ever did something like this, make it so you could never go back, you are never FULLY trusted in your new city (you could only get only level below max faction) and make the quest EPIC style...including guild wide raids and none of this silly picking up trash along the Qeynos highway like they did in EQ2

• 106 posts
    January 29, 2016 11:28 AM PST
    Yeah I agree there Sevens, it would almost have to be harder than an epic quest, like 20 quests rolled into one.

What Linkamus was talking about still seems easy he hehe, also there should be a point where you can't do it, like a cut off point, or a trigger you must do at the begging of your characters life.

I also agree you should never be able to go back, or do it again, you want people starting a new character, not just jumping classes.

I could see this working with the current lore though, most of the races are from different planets or planes, so this isn't their real home anyway, should they stray from the place they are MEANT to call home it might not be anyway bad thing
    • 66 posts
    January 29, 2016 11:42 AM PST

Deadlyfury said: Yeah I agree there Sevens, it would almost have to be harder than an epic quest, like 20 quests rolled into one. What Linkamus was talking about still seems easy he hehe, also there should be a point where you can't do it, like a cut off point, or a trigger you must do at the begging of your characters life. I also agree you should never be able to go back, or do it again, you want people starting a new character, not just jumping classes. I could see this working with the current lore though, most of the races are from different planets or planes, so this isn't their real home anyway, should they stray from the place they are MEANT to call home it might not be anyway bad thing

Well, in EQ2 you could only do it below a certain level, like level 10 or so. And I agree that the quest should take a long time.

• 106 posts
    January 29, 2016 1:52 PM PST
    Have I said I really like this idea? Lol seriously such a good one!
    • 154 posts
    January 30, 2016 12:14 AM PST

I have to say I like the idea as well. I don't think that it requires the two clear sides but it would require it to mesh with the lore. Often times there is a religious element to the good v. evil classes and I could easily see someone converting from one religion to another. In my mind you could alway seek out monks of the opposing sect and go through the trials to show you are a true believer and convert. I also think that something like this could be converted/mesh well the colored mana mechanism the team is looking at. So if you convert you will always have some sort of taint so that you always have a small amount of the origional mana color and will never be able to achieve full pure mana status. I think it would be a cool mechanism that would result in different class builds if it was something you wanted to do because you could never be "pure". I also think though that a lot of the quests would still need to be harder for example every class quest afterward would require more faction before it could even be attempted and that the race would still be KOS even if the class was not and so forth.

• 366 posts
    January 30, 2016 4:28 AM PST

While I absolutely loved the betrayal quest line and idea from EQ2, it would not be the same in Pantheon, because as Vandraad said there was a good and evil side in EQ2. You betrayed to your "mirror" class; Templar and Inquisitor could betray to each other; you were still a cleric.   I did it at max level once because I liked one class better for raid situations. I did it several other times throughout the years on different characters. It was fun. Once I just did it to accompany my friend and then stayed the same class/side. You used to lose all your spell books at that time (not anymore).

Pantheon will not have good vs evil but will have individual factions and your faction will matter. BUT In EQ2 You could betray from one city to another and stay in the same side of evil or good: I dropped my alliance to Freeport  all the time to get prettier housing in Gorowyn. So in Pantheon perhaps you could lose reputation with your original faction, and would want to do so if it was incompatible with a rival faction.

This post was edited by Zarriya at January 30, 2016 5:47 AM PST
    • 157 posts
    January 30, 2016 6:46 AM PST
    Faction quests ... I loved them. A feeling of accomplishment when my Iksar could stroll about everywhere and be non KOS. What did it really do for my character? Not much. But I could take pride in being the rare Iksar in FP, Quenos, or The Over there.