Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Keep it fair (No exp bonus weekends)

• 1095 posts
    January 30, 2016 11:34 AM PST

I think there should be negative xp weekends. :)

• 85 posts
    January 30, 2016 6:02 PM PST

So, I'm going to disagree with most people on this thread.  I don't mind double xp weekends at all.  Now, that said, I don't want them to be all the time, once or twice a year would be perfect.  In a game like Pantheon, where I think (hope) it's going to take a long, long time to level anyway, I don't think that a double xp weekend is a big deal.  Say it takes you a few months to level to max...one weekend at double xp is not a game breaker; someone who plays that whole weekend will probably only get a few levels...I can handle that.  And, if it brings players to the game, generates some excitement, gets more people playing, I'm not opposed at all.  :)

This post was edited by Sylee at January 31, 2016 12:25 AM PST
    • 428 posts
    February 2, 2016 3:25 PM PST

Aggelos said:

Linkamus said:

Liav said:

Not in the first year or so, but after that I think it's fair game.

No MMO with vertical leveling progression will ever be anything but top heavy after some duration of time. XP weekends help people level alts or help new players catch up once games have gotten older.

I remember after the first 3 or 4 years after EQs release, there were PLENTY of players in their 30s, 40s, and 50s, and many of them didn't feel a strong need to get max level, because they so enjoyed the content available at their level.

If it's not fair to give XP bonuses in the first year after release, it is still unfair 5 years later.

Just my opinion though :) .

That mentality has changed in this post-World of Warcraft world. Players before might have enjoyed the content where they were but then again games before WoW were less raid heavy and there were things to do at any level. Now, games are aimed towards end game progression.

I support these types of events because it does something for the community. It gets people to log in. I know some will argue that weekends make it unfair for people who cannot play during those times but it is statistically proven that weekends have the highest volume of players so that is when they would want people to log in.

Now, with that said. I liked how World of Warcraft offered events that didnt just apply to leveling. It might have been increased faction gain, special currency dropping, etc. This got the community together in a similar area to do those events.

A lot of those people in the 30-50 that never leveled up did so to grief lower level players in PVP.  they would TWINK there toons and be massivly overpowered 

• 2130 posts
    February 2, 2016 3:49 PM PST

It's super annoying to have every argument I make diminished into a "Post-WoW, childlike" mentality. EQ was top heavy before WoW ever became a thing. I will be VERY surprised if, within 5 years after launch, the developers of Pantheon come up with some amazing system that somehow prevents this.

That said, if the leveling curve is difficult enough, a double XP weekend shouldn't be enough to trivialize leveling anyway. It's just a nice boost that generates interest and gets people to log in to the game if they otherwise might not have wanted to.

Also, please leave all of the anti-PvP sentiment somewhere else. Maybe a thread that is actually about PvP and not about a completely different topic.

• 157 posts
    February 2, 2016 6:08 PM PST

If they do this game right, why would you want double xp.  EQ added content at low and mid level which offered items you would use into max level (Jboots, Manastone, etc), you also attained gear that you might use for months, that is part of what made the journey to max level in Everquest so great, it never felt like a waste of time doing a quest or acquiring gear.  The current situation in any MMO right now is who cares about gear, it's going to be outdated as soon as I kill the next mob and I don’t need it to move on.  I literally ran around naked or with completely broken gear during my short stint in ESO because it wasn't worth the cost of repairing it.  In EQ, good armor and a weapon was necessary for a warrior class, in a group, it might make the difference in holding a camp and solo, it could mean the difference between being able to solo or not.

I hope gearflation stays out of this game.  I hope "average" gear would be easy to come by (regular mob item drops or crafting), where rare items are truely rare.  I'd love a game game where players are more concerned with the play of the game, not the obtaining of "phat lewtz".  

• 9115 posts
    February 2, 2016 8:22 PM PST

Liav said:

It's super annoying to have every argument I make diminished into a "Post-WoW, childlike" mentality. EQ was top heavy before WoW ever became a thing. I will be VERY surprised if, within 5 years after launch, the developers of Pantheon come up with some amazing system that somehow prevents this.

That said, if the leveling curve is difficult enough, a double XP weekend shouldn't be enough to trivialize leveling anyway. It's just a nice boost that generates interest and gets people to log in to the game if they otherwise might not have wanted to.

Also, please leave all of the anti-PvP sentiment somewhere else. Maybe a thread that is actually about PvP and not about a completely different topic.

That is specifically what the Progeny system is intended to do:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/pantheon_difference/

Progeny System

Players will be able to 'retire' high level characters and then create their children as new characters, but these new characters, the 'progeny', will have certain abilities, stats, etc. that make them slightly yet noticeably better than a completely brand new character (but not to the point that it unbalances things).

The idea is to keep the levels continually rolling over and in the process, populating all level zones and dungeons, promoting player interaction etc. There is no point making an MMORPG like Pantheon that is group based if we sit back and watch everyone progress to max level and sit there twiddling their thumbs while all the new players have no one to group with and leave the game. This is where Mentoring or the Progeny system would help and we believe the Progeny system is a better fit for Pantheon, we will release more information on this system down the track.