Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Assessing preconceived MMO notions...

• 753 posts
    January 11, 2016 7:35 PM PST

So I've been playing EQ again - and something occurred to me - or perhaps RE-occurred to me is a better statement, because I remember having this notion in my head way back in the early days of EQII...

For as much as I have argued in favor of EXP loss in past threads, EXP debt has always felt more penalizing to me.  Why?  Because with loss, it happens - you look at your EXP bar, and you DON'T see what you had before.  With Debt, you typically end up looking at a little red "you suck" bar on your EXP bar until you pay off the debt.

That challenges one of my MMO preconceived notions.

SO - without this becoming a death penalty conversation (because that is NOT what my intent is) - what preconceived notions about old school MMO mechanics have you had challenged in your own mind by other MMO's doing things in different ways?

This post was edited by Wandidar at January 11, 2016 7:36 PM PST
    • 71 posts
    January 12, 2016 6:40 AM PST

It's usually the opposite for me. I try to be open minded and try out newer and different MMO's, and find myself thinking "I wish this was more like old Everquest or D&D" and then I give up and go play P99 or fudge around on the progression servers.

• 366 posts
    January 12, 2016 7:00 AM PST

When I play an MMO I try to appreciate it for what it is and not what it is not. Most of the ones that I have played I can always think of one feature about it and say "I liked that part of game X." Even the games I curse that I spent my time and money on usually have some unique redeeming quality about it.   No game will ever have all the innovative features that I like wrapped up into one game because they would not be compatable with each other.   For example I loved being able to level all my skills on one character, but then I also love having individual classes from a roleplay/gameplay perspective. I dont need tremendous amounts of innovation; I really just want a challenging, non-cash shop game that is made to capture us for a long time for my old friends and new ones yet to come (/cough Pantheon).

This post was edited by Zarriya at January 12, 2016 11:01 AM PST