Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Virtual Reality

• 9115 posts
    January 11, 2016 4:02 AM PST
    Which side of the fence are you on, do you think Virtual Reality is the future of gaming or will it be a passing trend? :)
    • 26 posts
    January 11, 2016 5:13 AM PST

I for one think this time Vr will make it.

I have always been very interested in VR since my first look at one 20 years ago, I have had a couple myself going back a long time along with 3d glasses etc.

Anyway I bought the Oculus DK1 kit on release along with the DK2 and the gearVr, now I have pre ordered the Oculus CV1, I am also considering ordering the HTC Valve. No I'm not rich I have to work hard for my pennies, I just don't drink or smoke so I save that for what I really want.

It has changed my way of gaming as with a good headset you can really can feel the presence in a game and feel more connected.

Games in general have pretty much reached a peak, something needs to change in the way we play and experience things, VR is the way I feel. 

If you have not experienced VR with a Good set as in Oculus Or Valve's you really need to give it a try. 

This post was edited by Peteski at January 11, 2016 5:13 AM PST
    • 9115 posts
    January 11, 2016 5:37 AM PST

Camarginy said:

I for one think this time Vr will make it.

I have always been very interested in VR since my first look at one 20 years ago, I have had a couple myself going back a long time along with 3d glasses etc.

Anyway I bought the Oculus DK1 kit on release along with the DK2 and the gearVr, now I have pre ordered the Oculus CV1, I am also considering ordering the HTC Valve. No I'm not rich I have to work hard for my pennies, I just don't drink or smoke so I save that for what I really want.

It has changed my way of gaming as with a good headset you can really can feel the presence in a game and feel more connected.

Games in general have pretty much reached a peak, something needs to change in the way we play and experience things, VR is the way I feel. 

If you have not experienced VR with a Good set as in Oculus Or Valve's you really need to give it a try. 

Nice Camarginy, I think it's here to stay too but I feel it will take quite a while to catch on and I don't think it will compete with monitors for a very long time until they can catch up with the level of technology the monitors are using, I do think it will be a great accompaniment to the monitor and some games/programs, it will probably start off slow but pick up in simulation type games/programs most likely.

I'm not really fussed either way but I love technology so I hope it does well so we can advance in other area's :)

• 26 posts
    January 11, 2016 5:50 AM PST

Give it 5 years.  

I feel by then it will really be mainstream and with a much higher quiality screen and FOV.  But as it stands atm I think if you love tech and experiences then using the Rift or Vive is something you will not soon forget and want for yourself.

We have come a long way since the 80's VR failure and I am more than happy to play games now with Oculus VR, for instance Skyrim is just amazing along with many other games that can be played with the Vorpx driver, with some just incredible viewing experiences like the Apollo Mission and some 360 adventures people have taken.

As your using the Unity engine and it has in the box support, YES I would like to see it in Pantheon ;-)  

Quick edit: The Vorpx driver has the ability to play a lot of games that are not rift compatable in a virtual lounge with a huge cinema screen infront of you as you look around and see a virtual couch etc you are sitting on. Tis quite fun

This post was edited by Peteski at January 11, 2016 6:10 AM PST
    • 9115 posts
    January 11, 2016 7:00 AM PST

Camarginy said:

Give it 5 years.  

I feel by then it will really be mainstream and with a much higher quiality screen and FOV.  But as it stands atm I think if you love tech and experiences then using the Rift or Vive is something you will not soon forget and want for yourself.

We have come a long way since the 80's VR failure and I am more than happy to play games now with Oculus VR, for instance Skyrim is just amazing along with many other games that can be played with the Vorpx driver, with some just incredible viewing experiences like the Apollo Mission and some 360 adventures people have taken.

As your using the Unity engine and it has in the box support, YES I would like to see it in Pantheon ;-)  

Quick edit: The Vorpx driver has the ability to play a lot of games that are not rift compatable in a virtual lounge with a huge cinema screen infront of you as you look around and see a virtual couch etc you are sitting on. Tis quite fun

I must admit I have not been lucky enough to try any of them out yet, so maybe experiencing that will change my mind, who knows and I think your 5 yr guess is fairly accurate, I would guess at 5-10 for headsets but I think VR in general will start to make up some quick ground once these start hitting the market ;)

I definitely would like to try it for Pantheon and Skyrim, two of my favourite games!

• 1778 posts
    January 11, 2016 9:45 AM PST
    Its a difficult call for me. On the one hand its spme cool tech and definitely very immersive. On the other hand all the games and peripherals ive seen for it start feeling too much like work with some games. I have tried it at a friends house (thiugh he didnt have any extra peipherals). Its why I quit nintendo once they went Wii. Im a lazy gamer damnit, dont need extra work. Once they start making games with "full dive" and or "matrix" like capabilities then ill be all in. But there is definitely a market for it as it is now.
    • 366 posts
    January 11, 2016 11:19 AM PST

I think VR will have a solid place in gaming - but not take over every game completely. I have tried the Occulus Rift - it was fun, and I would like to play with it + an omnidirectional treadmill- but not all the time, maybe for 30 min of the day. Maybe 1 hour with just the headset. During the rest of the day I like to be able to see my surroundings and keyboard. I have an active houshold so I really cant be "blind" for hours on end.

Amsai has a point about lazy gaming, I do like to sit back and relax at least 50% of the time when I game  - especially in the morning. Some active teamplay in the evening would be fun.

This post was edited by Zarriya at January 11, 2016 11:20 AM PST
    • 149 posts
    January 11, 2016 11:25 AM PST

As much as I love the idea of VR, being a parent now and judging by the majority of the people who posted on the Age Poll, we are all adults with kids and responsibilities and the idea of being 100% disconnected from the world isn’t something I can do with a newborn. As much as I would love to be 100% into the game and away from reality I need to have at least one part alert to the real world.

With that being said, I feel the majority of gamers will feel the same way and the VR as it stands will be a fad that young kids and independently wealthy people with 0 responsibility will actually be interested in it.

• 26 posts
    January 11, 2016 11:40 AM PST

Aggelos said:

As much as I love the idea of VR, being a parent now and judging by the majority of the people who posted on the Age Poll, we are all adults with kids and responsibilities and the idea of being 100% disconnected from the world isn’t something I can do with a newborn. As much as I would love to be 100% into the game and away from reality I need to have at least one part alert to the real world.

With that being said, I feel the majority of gamers will feel the same way and the VR as it stands will be a fad that young kids and independently wealthy people with 0 responsibility will actually be interested in it.

We are all entitled to an opinion but I bleieve that VR has its place and you do not have to have "0 responsibility" just to to able to play. We all have responsibilities and our own are always the most important, however Everyone has some spare time and is able to have play time, even with kids at bedtime.. 

• 149 posts
    January 11, 2016 11:51 AM PST

Camarginy said:

Aggelos said:

We are all entitled to an opinion but I bleieve that VR has its place and you do not have to have "0 responsibility" just to to able to play. We all have responsibilities and our own are always the most important, however Everyone has some spare time and is able to have play time, even with kids at bedtime.. 

True, perhaps when my son is older but I still feel even at bedtime that you need to be at least a little aware of your situation around you in cause of such things like fire, break-ins, etc. That's why I feel like VR won’t ever make a huge splash as I am sure within a year or so we will see some news story of "Some college student burned to death in a fire because he was using his VR set and didn't know it was going on."

I know it might seem a little over the top and exaggerated there but I believe it still has merit and full dive/VR that cut you off 100% is never a good idea. Of course this is just my opinion and one of the reasons I won’t be getting it.

P.S. Yay for my 100th post!

This post was edited by Aggelos at January 11, 2016 11:51 AM PST
    • 106 posts
    January 11, 2016 1:42 PM PST
    If VR turns out to be like the Holodeck then it will make it.

VR will make it
    • 158 posts
    January 11, 2016 2:05 PM PST

I think this wave of vr is not significant enough to be the future of gaming. I believe that the idea of vr could potentially be the future but that it still has a long way to go for it to really matter.

That is of course in regards to occulus and the like. I certainly hope Visionary Realms (the other VR .. heh) will make for a big impact.

This post was edited by Mephiles at January 11, 2016 2:06 PM PST
    • 1714 posts
    January 11, 2016 7:18 PM PST

It's legit. The question isn't really whether or not the VR sets themselves will be good enough, but rather whether or not developers will actually make enough games/content. The fact that Valve and Facebook are backing the 2 most popular VR headsets is encouraging from a financial standpoint. 

• 753 posts
    January 11, 2016 7:26 PM PST

I'm actually concerned about the impact of VR gaming on RL families, etc...  It's one thing for me to be sitting next to my wife on the couch, laptop on my lap, playing an MMO.  It is quite another for me to have on a VR device and being completely shut out of the real world around me.

I think the idea is very cool - and I will likely try it out AFTER it's been out long enough for 8 billion other people to "production test" it - getting out most of the early issues... but still, I've got reservations.

• 9115 posts
    January 12, 2016 1:04 AM PST

It's great to see so many differing opinions :)

The creator of Oculus Rift has an AMA on the PCMasterRace Reddit and it was interesting to hear what he had to say, I will leave the link below if anyone is interested.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/40ea0x/i_am_palmer_luckey_founder_of_oculus_and_designer/

• 378 posts
    January 12, 2016 11:38 AM PST

I don't think I need to state my opinion on this ;)

I had a rare opitunity to play Bullet Train with the Oculus Touch controllers, once you try the Oculus Touch and the Rift playing on a monitor is like watching pacman again.

• 2138 posts
    January 12, 2016 1:06 PM PST

VR wil become the norm I think, and later on, have inherent health benefits. PLay60 campaign taking on a whole new meaning- and then maybe from a sports and war perspective, get a little like "Ender's Game". What will be taught in school?

• 72 posts
    January 12, 2016 1:32 PM PST

Virtual reality is just another stepping stone for the time being. I just hope I'm still alive when VR becomes the inception dream world :D

On a serious note I do intend to purchase some VR in the near future. I think the biggest limitation of VR at the moment is that it requires physical open space. How do you stop the consumer from accidentally moving into a wall or a piece of furniture. I think once some of those limitations are figured out then VR will truly take off in the gaming industry.

-Furor

• 1434 posts
    January 12, 2016 1:37 PM PST

Oculus and the like could pave a way for better things, but I don't see it taking off in its current state. I've read most people get sick from it, especially during longer gaming sessions. That would be very problematic for MMOs.

• 378 posts
    January 12, 2016 3:40 PM PST

Dullahan said:

I've read most people get sick from it, especially during longer gaming sessions. That would be very problematic for MMOs.

While some people will always suffer sim sickness to some degree, it's mostly been fixed, with things like low latency, higher refresh/framrates and a lot of work on the game Dev's side learing what needs to change in VR to gaming on a monitor.

One thing that I found interseting is when your walking around a game world using a Monitor the actul speed is incresed compared to a real world walking speed, if you import this overspeed into VR it causes people to get sick so in VR Devs need to apply a real world walking/run speed as opposed to the monitor version.