Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Items that refference real life things

• 66 posts
    December 31, 2015 8:03 PM PST

What do you guys think about items that refference outside things, wether it be a TV show or movie, or music etc etc. I think its pretty cool personally, it was cool in EQ when you saw that Jenni's Two Tone Curiass and realizing the stats literally go with the song.

i hope Pantheon can make some of these items in the game. just not make it TOO obvious what its refferencing.

here is a link to the curiass i mentioned http://zam.zamimg.com/images/1/7/178a0a8b118286e37045bdbf4d7ccb06.png

• 122 posts
    December 31, 2015 9:02 PM PST

Not opposed to it as long as it's subtleish. There were various NPCs in EQ (Qeynos I think?) Named after Song of Ice and Fire characters (Joffrey and Sansa iirc), which was cool for a game developed in 97-98 since Game of Thrones came out in 96. That cuiras was another good one. Also "Breezeboots Fridged Gnasher" being the BFG was a nod to Doom. Shame that got the nerf stick so fast ;)

I like the idea of nerds tipping the hat to nerdy things, as long as it's subtle enough that someone out of the loop wouldn't notice, and someone in the loop gets a smirk. None of the "nods" above would be game breaking to anyone who didn't get the reference. As long as Lord Master Chief doesn't reward you with the "Sword of DoritosDewingItRight™" then I'm fine with it.

• 106 posts
    December 31, 2015 9:14 PM PST
    Brilliant Arksien! Corporate sponsorship of items. I could wield the longsword of mountain dew (magic item - gives the ability of berserker for 10 seconds). That's how we could get more funding. Elf banker could be named Malcome "comerica bank" Greenwood.
    • 2419 posts
    December 31, 2015 9:35 PM PST

Furty said:

What do you guys think about items that refference outside things, wether it be a TV show or movie, or music etc etc. I think its pretty cool personally, it was cool in EQ when you saw that Jenni's Two Tone Curiass and realizing the stats literally go with the song.

i hope Pantheon can make some of these items in the game. just not make it TOO obvious what its refferencing.

here is a link to the curiass i mentioned http://zam.zamimg.com/images/1/7/178a0a8b118286e37045bdbf4d7ccb06.png

That example is perfect because the subtlty happens on so many levels.  First you have the name, which some people might catch quickly, but then there are the stats which can be overlooked unless you read it carefully.  Finding these little gems are what makes exploration and applying a careful eye to things really pays off.

• 753 posts
    January 1, 2016 3:58 PM PST

There was a TON of this in EQ...

Examples:

Qeynos = Sony EQ backwards

Tae Ew = We Eat backwards

The bankers in Thurgadin were named "Mort" and "Gage" (Mortgage) 

Etc...

I enjoy easter eggs like this in an MMO.

• 2138 posts
    January 1, 2016 4:49 PM PST

Agree with Arksien on the need for sublteness, and specifically, as he meniotned, the nerdy subtleness, like the Tu-tone curiass.  

• 149 posts
    January 4, 2016 9:44 AM PST

I like when they add cleaver pop culture references into the game. Some of them can be incredibly funny if they are not terribly obvious :)

• 610 posts
    January 9, 2016 3:51 AM PST

Im with you all...Love them as long as they are subtle

Hated the Bard in SK named Vhalen (and yes I know that was the lore devs Handle) just seemed a bit to much on the nose