Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Your thoughts on buffs that don't stack

• 999 posts
    January 1, 2016 7:23 PM PST

@Vandraad

As info - I've seen you post it a few times.  DoTs did not stack at EQ launch.  It changed with the release of Luclin.  Basically the start of the modernization of EQ.  I've linked a thread with the patch notes below:

http://www.eqclassic.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2524

• 2419 posts
    January 1, 2016 9:14 PM PST

Nice Google-Fu you have there, Raidan.  Better than my raw spell data and Lucy spell data searches on Allakhazam.

• 122 posts
    January 1, 2016 9:38 PM PST

Raidan said:

@Vandraad

As info - I've seen you post it a few times.  DoTs did not stack at EQ launch.  It changed with the release of Luclin.  Basically the start of the modernization of EQ.  I've linked a thread with the patch notes below:

http://www.eqclassic.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2524

Yup, and it sucked. I'd really like to see that avoided. AND, despite this fix in 2002:

[BLOCKQUOTE]After today 
    the same DoT spell cast by different casters can affect the same target 
    at the same time. Also, if you cast a DoT spell on a target and you 
    already have that spell active on it, the spell will refresh. (Note: It 
    will not be possible to stack Lifeburn).

This does not allow for inferior spells to stack along with superior 
    spells. (Example: Two Necromancers can both land Boil Blood on the same 
    target. However, Heat Blood, being an inferior spell, will still not 
    stack.)"

This is the big thing I hope doesn't happen in this game. Prior to Luclin, no dots stacked. Then, it was "let the best dot win." So as a ranger, where dots were factored in as a part of my DPS, my dots would STILL never win, because druid and shaman dots would trump them, because the ranger dots were just lower tier versions in the same line.

That's why I think it's critical to decide what a classes defining role is, and make sure that any functionality that is justifying their balance is something they can use most or all of the time. If a class can't use their buff, let it be because the user has chosen to fill their buff slots with something else, not because the shammy buffs were trivializes by the enchanter in the group etc.

Shouldn't be too hard as long as they don't go the EQ copy paste route. Or if they do, they should take it into account when balancing classes.

• 2419 posts
    January 1, 2016 10:13 PM PST

Arksien said:

That's why I think it's critical to decide what a classes defining role is, and make sure that any functionality that is justifying their balance is something they can use most or all of the time. If a class can't use their buff, let it be because the user has chosen to fill their buff slots with something else, not because the shammy buffs were trivializes by the enchanter in the group etc.

Shouldn't be too hard as long as they don't go the EQ copy paste route. Or if they do, they should take it into account when balancing classes.

I was thinking about spells, buffs, debuffs and how they might be divided amongst the various classes and came up with spell chart below.  This is just a visual for my own thoughts on spells.

The cells can represent my different things:  1) Single Stat buff/debuff; 2) Multi-Stat buff/debuff; 3)Single Target buff/debuff; 4)Group buff.  What each represents can change over the levels.  Two classes that share the same buff might not have it at the same level at the same time either it is just that they both have access to either the same spell line or a different line with a similar effect. I'm not discounting the possibility that muliple classes can have the same spell with the same effect at the same time.

• 1281 posts
    January 6, 2016 10:41 AM PST

That's a really nice chart that emphasizes what I mean when I said we need information on stacking.

Maybe rather than blocking spells from stacking we start with players of X level only receive Y buffs. Say a level 50 can have up to 5 buffs. If the player chooses to allow all 5 buffs be HP or STR or something, then fine, but at least that way we would know what the stacking rules are.

Or possibly assign colors to spells. Say you can only have 1 buff of a certain color at a time.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at January 6, 2016 10:43 AM PST
    • 1714 posts
    January 6, 2016 4:21 PM PST

bigdogchris said:

That's a really nice chart that emphasizes what I mean when I said we need information on stacking.

Maybe rather than blocking spells from stacking we start with players of X level only receive Y buffs. Say a level 50 can have up to 5 buffs. If the player chooses to allow all 5 buffs be HP or STR or something, then fine, but at least that way we would know what the stacking rules are.

Or possibly assign colors to spells. Say you can only have 1 buff of a certain color at a time.

It was next to trivial to know what stacked with what in EQ.