Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

My favorite role is (ROLE) - here's why

• 753 posts
    December 14, 2015 7:21 PM PST

Another simple thread for all of you to (hopefully) enjoy and participate in.

The idea here is simple.  Fill in your favorite (ROLE) - (tanking, healing, melee dps, ranged dps, CC, pulling, support, etc...) NOT your favorite class... and answer the question!

• 68 posts
    December 14, 2015 7:23 PM PST

I love CC with a mixed support and ranged DPS...

J

• 753 posts
    December 14, 2015 7:29 PM PST

JoshuaLLFE said:

I love CC with a mixed support and ranged DPS...

J

Excellent!  But why?

• 2130 posts
    December 14, 2015 7:52 PM PST

Assassin/Melee DPS. Can't teabag people after I kill them in PvP if I'm playing a ranged class. Alternatively, Wizard/Caster DPS because the class description in EQ2 talks about exploding stuff.

This post was edited by Liav at December 14, 2015 7:52 PM PST
    • 288 posts
    December 14, 2015 8:03 PM PST

I'll bite and play devil's advocate.. I like to tank with a bit of healing, some cc, and  a few nukes, oh i also like to pull and give people buffs, gimme dat all in 1 role naw'mean.

• 1714 posts
    December 14, 2015 10:50 PM PST

Wandidar said:

Another simple thread for all of you to (hopefully) enjoy and participate in.

The idea here is simple.  Fill in your favorite (ROLE) - (tanking, healing, melee dps, ranged dps, CC, pulling, support, etc...) NOT your favorite class... and answer the question!

PULLING

When you learn a zone, the spawn rates, the rare mob locations, the pathing, you can be in complete control.  You can determine how much EXP a group gets, what loot a group gets, it's amazing power and responsibility. I've owned the bottom floor of LG with a group of 3 when 2 other full groups were down there because I knew what when where and why while the casters and tanks sat on their asses waiting for me to win the game for them. 

• 1714 posts
    December 14, 2015 10:50 PM PST

Rallyd said:

I'll bite and play devil's advocate.. I like to tank with a bit of healing, some cc, and  a few nukes, oh i also like to pull and give people buffs, gimme dat all in 1 role naw'mean.

Yeah. You need help. Altaholics anonymous. 

• 122 posts
    December 14, 2015 11:16 PM PST

Ranged DPS and pulling. I'd be interested to see how it is to play an underwater Myr though and see if my opinion changes!

• 668 posts
    December 15, 2015 12:10 AM PST

CC - I like saving peoples butts and love the responsability...  It is not for everyone and you have to be a very aware / alert player, quick on the buttons (I am a hotkey nut, 13 key mouse etc.). If a bad situation takes place, I always want to be the one to save the day...  EQ Enchanter 10 years

Pulling - Also spent ten years in EQ as main puller as monk and bard...  I love it when you can make things look easy by being good at your role.  Pulling requires skill, focus, attention, and you can't give in to laziness or your nice safe run can wipe everyone clean. So you have to make smart decisions and be patient or mistakes WILL happen.

• 781 posts
    December 15, 2015 1:36 AM PST

Healing :)  I love being the lifeline of the group.  Being able to revive a friend in the middle of battle   Being able to heal and not draw agro is awesome :)

• 46 posts
    December 15, 2015 1:52 AM PST

Healing. If I want to be on my toes and up for it being a healer is the best, saving the day and getting all the thanks for not letting people die gives  great sense of reward.(lots of coffee)

Crowd Control - If I want a quiet life ,other side of the spectrum , easiest role to do and does not take much skill and concentration just sit back relax and watch the world go by, if you mess up well just one more mob to kill. (eat chocolate)

I never ever ever want to be the Tank, so much responsability, if you got a good tank makes life so much easier, hats off to you guys that Tank, awesome people always in demand and a good Tank's name is always known server wide.

• 75 posts
    December 15, 2015 2:02 AM PST

Tanking - i am a control freak!

I like to manage the flow and speed of a fight or fights,

i like to control mobs and where they go

I like to manage oh **** moments through good class knowledge and attentive game play.

I am a control freak

I like to raid lead and through experience have found this is often done best from front.

I like to have to rely on team mates - i can't kill things alone and can't stay alive alone

i am a control freak 

• 18 posts
    December 15, 2015 5:55 AM PST

Although it has been a long time since i've done it, my favorite role is the puller.  Pulling was great because you were able to set the pace of your group.  If there was a weak link you could mitigate that by pulling slower or if you were in a group that was advanced you could pull a mob whenever your main target got to half health and never stop fighting as long as you had spawns to pull.  Tanking and healing I enjoy a bit, but they were always more stressful for me.

• 112 posts
    December 15, 2015 6:16 AM PST

If possible I will play a paladin class (crusader) which means I usally end up as off-tank or secondary healer. I like being able to react to a fight as it evolves. Light on heals, no problem. Need me to grab agrro from a mob, done. I am pretty much a team player for my guild. 

• 232 posts
    December 15, 2015 6:32 AM PST

Normally I gravitate towards tanks or CC.

The reason? I like stress in MMO's.  I want the weight of the groups success or failure to be on my shoulders.  I like the responsibility.

• 149 posts
    December 15, 2015 6:42 AM PST

I assume it would be labled DPS - Support. I like the hybrid classes like my typical "holy warrior" archtype. They might not provide as much raw DPS as an assassin or wizard but through various abilities that they can use for damage also provide small amounts of group support via small buffs/recovery/etc.

• 288 posts
    December 15, 2015 6:42 AM PST

For me it's puller or tank, and the EQ monk allowed me to do both which I really loved.  I hope there is a class just like EQ monk.

• 116 posts
    December 15, 2015 7:01 AM PST

My favorite roles are Healing and Utility because I like being the difference between success and failure, and also because secretly I derive a little pleasure when I out-damage bad DPS.  Ironically, I absolutely suck at being a pure DPS role.

I've always gravitated towards healer-, bard-, and enchanter-type classes, personally.

• 14 posts
    December 15, 2015 7:44 AM PST

Mained healer for years across all MMOs I've played- until fairly recently I started trying tanking.  Enjoy that too, but definitely more stressful- feel like in the rare times where something does go wrong, it's all on me, even if that's not the case.  Definitely feel more comfortable as a healer.  But then, its probably more to do with how dungeons go now in WoW- no matter what I do there are people running around, pulling everything they see while I struggle to save them.  Will probably be much more enjoyable in a game like Pantheon, where everyone has to be more responsible.  Don't really care for dps.

As for the other roles, I've never played a game yet where they even exist (except City of Heroes with buffs and CC, but as much as I liked it the balance and group design was a mess there- tanks and healers were completely useless while buffs were everything).  From past experiences, I can't even imagine what a dedicated pulling role would be like!  So really, apart from ruling out dps, I have no idea what I'll prefer in Pantheon.

• 116 posts
    December 15, 2015 7:49 AM PST

I gravitate towards the tank role. I like to control the position of enemies and, usually, having a deeper knowledge of encounters. I also love the plate look.

But occassionally, I also like the option to slap on some dmg gear and show my friends how that's done as well ;)

• 122 posts
    December 15, 2015 11:19 AM PST

Interesting to see the number of people posting that they like a specific role because of the danger and resonsibility it entails. One of my favorite memories of gaming in the last few years actually came from playing a healer on a dungeon boss in ESO of all places. I was with an actually pretty good PUG group, but we were all probably a bit low level to be there. There was a boss that would AOE tendrils to grab various people to pull them in, then did AOE melee/poison damage. Just keeping people up was a nightmare but fun, and we all probably died at least 3 times, spending much of our time just resing people. But we actually won after a grueling fight! I don't much care for healing PUG groups in a lot of instances these days, but when you're with good people who know how to push it, it can definitely be the most rewarding role to fill. It can also be the most frustrating role with the wrong people though!

• 2419 posts
    December 15, 2015 11:55 AM PST

I usually go with a SUPPORT role of backup healer w/ a lot of utility.  That way I can be the eyes/ears of the group, looking around for any roamers and keeping track of what spawns next and where.  This fit well when I graduated into the position of raid leader in EQ1.  It was easier to direct the raid when my role within the raid wasn't a critical position like the main tank or a cleric in the heal rotations.  Because I got to see the wider picture in groups I learned far more than the average person who had to focus on what was in front of them.

• 79 posts
    December 15, 2015 4:41 PM PST

CC if it's EQ enchanter style. It was a rush, all or nothing, lifestyle early on. As you grew in power it got a little less risky, as the game aged it got a lot less risky.

Outside of that style CC I generally prefer melee DPS. I enjoy seeing how far I can push without being a detriment to the group/raid (pulling aggro, needing heals or dying) while still being my most effective.

Tanking I like if it's not straight up warrior, I find most of the time a warrior style of tanking is too straight up and boring for my liking - I prefer a combo of spell and physical durability

Normally I don't like healing but Age of Conan's style healing roped me in, fantastic system.

• 753 posts
    December 15, 2015 4:45 PM PST

I have to say,  when I started this thread I was hoping it would go well... but (in my opinion) its going REALLY well.  I'm really enjoying what you guys are writing.  It is interesting to me to see so many say (directly or indirectly) "I like having some responsibility in my group"

Thanks for writing... I hope many more of you decide to add your thoughts here!

• 16 posts
    December 15, 2015 6:10 PM PST

I like self sufficient characters but also useful in groups or raids.  So a mixture of melee with life taps or ranged dps with life taps.

I also love playing healing roles.   Keeping a group or raid alive is a completely different game and is very fulfilling. 

This post was edited by CountessCrow at December 15, 2015 6:12 PM PST