Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Global Cooldowns Discussion

• 1479 posts
    June 3, 2018 2:49 AM PDT

jpedrote said:

disposalist said:

Zyellinia said:

I have to agree with those saying cast time abilities for weapon attacks really make no sense to me.  Maybe one or two abilities that are channeled sequences of attacks but most melee abilities really should be instant with a gcd.

Why does it make no sense that a demanding physical ability would take no 'wind up' to execute?

Makes perfect sense to me that to execute a shield bash you'd need to take a few seconds to alter your grip and make sure it's firm and to perform an intimidating shout you'd need to stop swinging your sword, get your breath back and take a few deep ones.

Sensible or not, though, if there's a good balancing reason to make something require 'cast' time or cooldown or whatever balancing mechanic, then VR should feel free to use any balancing tool in the box.

I they do melee attacks with cast time (similar to EQ 2 right? ) I would like to see those "cast times" / "wind up time" interrupt your auto attack, so for example if you want to min max, you auto attacks, you need to "weave" your melee abilities in between the auto-attacks. as an example your auto-attack goes off, you immediately start "casting" shield bash, shield bas finish the "cast" and if you did it correctly your auto-attacks will go off right as you finish your shield bash cast. but if you screw it up and "cast" abilities at the wrong times, you miss an auto-attack, and need to wait 1-2 seconds longer before the auto-attack goes off again. 

But I still preffer the regular GCD, melee abilities have that extra "responsiness" because they happen right after you press them.

Frankly if they choose their option, there is no sense for it to work like EQ1/EQ2's swing timer. Even hybrids in EQ1 had to "weave" your spells inbetween your melee swing, but where is the logic ? If you have to cast a spell or wind up an attack, it should delay the melee swing even if you weave, by the casting time amount, because the swing timer represent a moment of recovery and winding up, and there is no sense that because you cast or wind up an other attack in that timeframe, your auto should shoot untouched.

@GoofyWarriorGuy

Thanks for putting another explained post, especially on the latency part, however I doubt we are beeing read since the answers completely ignored the details and went only straight into "Answer to the OP question with wrong ideas about a mechanic".