Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Artifacts - One drop per server

• 671 posts
    December 5, 2015 11:30 AM PST

Amsai said: I see where the confusion is. I agree that crafting can take time skill and dedication. I just dont like the idea of it from a lore, aesthetic and even nostalgic standpoint. Im not afraid of not having what others dont. Im afraid of not having a shot at it. If its super rare and hard to get you can still get it even if it takes years. Its a goal. But 1 shots cant be goals. I do acknowlege that crafting can be though. Just dont like it but can deal with it. Like I always have. But this there can be only one idea...... this isnt something that is good at all. Agree to disagree I guess......

Youn do realize that killing a Dragon and using it's uber rare dragon scale in crafting (for a shield), has more lore...  than killing a dragon and opening his treasure chest and having a shield inside... right? (Where did the Dragoin get that shield..? Who originally crafted it?)

That some craftable mats takes the same style raid encounters, but SOME guilds may not know what to do with the dragon scale, while other secretly hide the formula, or process..

• 1778 posts
    December 5, 2015 11:51 AM PST
    Continue this over in the other thread. I wont be responding here anymore
    • 671 posts
    December 5, 2015 12:01 PM PST

Raiding for 8 hours every weekend will not yield you the same results as someone who spends 30h a week harvesting or crafting. Whom also goes on those same raids...

If there is nothing more to Pantheon than raiding for gear, then there is no reason for me to play. (What do I do with the rest of my time..?)

• 999 posts
    December 5, 2015 12:54 PM PST

@ Hieromonk

I realize you have a passion for crafting - but it's pretty simple.  

Dragons in any story are always guarding a horde of treasure, and, it's not unrealistic that many great heroes before had died to the Dragon and the dragon is hording the treasure and you kill the dragon and obtain some sword of Awesomeness from the fallen hero (... one of the fallen?).  It's no less realistic than the Dragon respawning and being killed for his scales thousands of times to craft the item.  In the end, it's just what you prefer.  

And, you've been following Pantheon for long enough to know that the journey will be more important than the raiding anyway - there's no reason that the dragon can't have a horde of treasure and also drop/be skinned for his scales, etc.  You're in good hands, I'm sure they realize that not every at 50 will just want to /raid.

________________________________________________________________________-

Back on topic, I'd prefer to have no artifact items myself.  They are "neat" in the moment, but I'd rather not have gear scaled in future expansions around them.  

If anything, I would want them "extremely" rare, and be a part of some time-sensitive epic GM sponsored quest/event versus any raid/epic quest drop - that way it would promote interaction within the world.  And, I would want the starting quest hidden and random so there was no known source on "GM event is occurring" - everyone run to Kelethin!  Something simple like, A Shady Swashbuckler whispers, "You there.. come here.. I have something to share.."  Where, most likely, 90% of the people would ignore it, but it may get people to start paying more attention to the world after it was known that there could be random artifact quests.  

It still revolves around the hurt feelings of "there can be only one" though, and I'd rather have something be so ridiculously rare that there was 1-3 on the server, than only have a one-time chance /loot who*e drama.

• 671 posts
    December 5, 2015 8:25 PM PST

Raidan said:

@ Hieromonk

I realize you have a passion for crafting - but it's pretty simple.  

Dragons in any story are always guarding a horde of treasure, and, it's not unrealistic that many great heroes before had died to the Dragon and the dragon is hording the treasure and you kill the dragon and obtain some sword of Awesomeness from the fallen hero (... one of the fallen?).  It's no less realistic than the Dragon respawning and being killed for his scales thousands of times to craft the item.  In the end, it's just what you prefer.  

And, you've been following Pantheon for long enough to know that the journey will be more important than the raiding anyway - there's no reason that the dragon can't have a horde of treasure and also drop/be skinned for his scales, etc.  You're in good hands, I'm sure they realize that not every at 50 will just want to /raid.

________________________________________________________________________-

Back on topic, I'd prefer to have no artifact items myself.  They are "neat" in the moment, but I'd rather not have gear scaled in future expansions around them.  

If anything, I would want them "extremely" rare, and be a part of some time-sensitive epic GM sponsored quest/event versus any raid/epic quest drop - that way it would promote interaction within the world.  And, I would want the starting quest hidden and random so there was no known source on "GM event is occurring" - everyone run to Kelethin!  Something simple like, A Shady Swashbuckler whispers, "You there.. come here.. I have something to share.."  Where, most likely, 90% of the people would ignore it, but it may get people to start paying more attention to the world after it was known that there could be random artifact quests.  

It still revolves around the hurt feelings of "there can be only one" though, and I'd rather have something be so ridiculously rare that there was 1-3 on the server, than only have a one-time chance /loot who*e drama.

I agree 100%^

There is a more than duality to my responses (crafted, found & gifted equipment) & nothing I have suggested doesn't include anythng you've said. I only pointed out that CRAFTED items, given enough materials & care should be extremely powerful peices of equipment, though rare themselves. There are of coarse going to be millions of player crafter items that are average, poor, or nominal. All of it is what makes the world go around.

Although, I find the idea (sentiment), that soley being a raider means You will have the very best stuff in the game, a joke..

On topic: I like the concept & idea of one-off Artifacts. It adds to the world lore and creates global excitement if/when found.

This post was edited by Hieromonk at December 5, 2015 9:13 PM PST
    • 2130 posts
    December 6, 2015 4:04 AM PST

Hieromonk said:Although, I find the idea (sentiment), that soley being a raider means You will have the very best stuff in the game, a joke..

I find the idea of every player in the game having best in slot gear to be a joke.

Raiding has always been for the highest caliber players, generally in terms of playing ability. So if not the best gear in the game, what is an appropriate reward for these players?

High risk, high reward. Crafting is effectively zero risk. Questing is hit or miss and depends on implementation as to whether or not it is sufficiently risky to provide good gear (see: EQ epics that involved raid targets).

• 366 posts
    December 6, 2015 5:13 AM PST

Amsai said: Dont like it. Not everyone should get every drop. But this should be up to skills, determination, etc. Given enough time skill and pursuit you should be able too get any sought after gear. And that will mean not everyone will be able to obtain everything. But it shouldnt be because its a one off.
    Wandidar said:For me: Ultra, ultra, ULTRA rare - ...... - fine. That still means that everyone has a chance to get that item if they put in the work and get lucky. One item period? I don't see that as community building. I wouldn't like it.
    Boulda said:Hard to get yes, 1 per server no.
    Deuce said:My idea would be for like a players epic weapon quest. ......
    Sarim said:I don't like the idea of items or mobs that only exist once (or in the case of mobs, cease to exist once killed). Kind of wasted dev time IMO.

I agree with these posts. Let a special item exist because they worked really hard and for a long amount of time; not because they were lucky. Make the players and developers efforts to complete/create such a process worthwhile.  RNG items should exist (I like them) but should never exist for a one time item.

This post was edited by Zarriya at December 6, 2015 5:14 AM PST
    • 107 posts
    December 6, 2015 5:16 AM PST

Zarriya said:

Amsai said: Dont like it. Not everyone should get every drop. But this should be up to skills, determination, etc. Given enough time skill and pursuit you should be able too get any sought after gear. And that will mean not everyone will be able to obtain everything. But it shouldnt be because its a one off.
    Wandidar said:For me: Ultra, ultra, ULTRA rare - ...... - fine. That still means that everyone has a chance to get that item if they put in the work and get lucky. One item period? I don't see that as community building. I wouldn't like it.
    Boulda said:Hard to get yes, 1 per server no.
    Deuce said:My idea would be for like a players epic weapon quest. ......
    Sarim said:I don't like the idea of items or mobs that only exist once (or in the case of mobs, cease to exist once killed). Kind of wasted dev time IMO.

I agree with these posts. Let a special item exist because they worked really hard and for a long amount of time; not because they were lucky. Make the players and developers efforts to complete/create such a process worthwhile.  RNG items should exist (I like them) but should never exist for a one time item.

I agree with the above statement.

• 671 posts
    December 6, 2015 9:39 AM PST

Liav said:

Hieromonk said:Although, I find the idea (sentiment), that soley being a raider means You will have the very best stuff in the game, a joke..

I find the idea of every player in the game having best in slot gear to be a joke.

Raiding has always been for the highest caliber players, generally in terms of playing ability. So if not the best gear in the game, what is an appropriate reward for these players?

High risk, high reward. Crafting is effectively zero risk. Questing is hit or miss and depends on implementation as to whether or not it is sufficiently risky to provide good gear (see: EQ epics that involved raid targets).

The reward is the EXPERIENCE they gained and knowing how to deal with such mobs and the GOLD they find, & the camraderie.. Not to mention the acclaim such a guild receives from such a feat. (pub talk anyone?)

People don't raid dragons, GUILDS do..  the reward might be a guild stone, or an anceint writ for plot of land, etc. Or a rare spell that is AOE buff. Ironically, the INDIVIDUAL on a raid is in no more threat than any other individual. How about Raids that benifit YOUR GUILD..? Rather than a single individual within your guild ? The Idealogy that getting something for yourself on a raid is selfish and reeks of entitlement. If a few of your guild members come out with better equipment than going in, would be a bonus. Not the sole reason.

Guild Rading should be predominantly for filling the Guild Coffers of wealth., so that the Guild will have copacious amounts of gold to purchase things. Such as land, or building their Guild Hall/Keep, or just buying rarities in the marketplace for things the Guild plans on building. What about the cost of registering a Boat they just spent 2 month building and 50 people helping..? Or paying off half the server for wood & stone to even start to build your keep. Raiders are not harvesters.. they will not have to 20k peices of stone to make a Keep, or will spend the time (months) to cut down trees and carpenterize all the wood needed for such things. A raiding guild will have to BUY all those things if they do not have a arm of Harvesters and Crafters within their ranks.

Endless possibilities... 

Coincidentally, in any form of crafting, there is failure. Most Crafters may take a year to reach GM status (if at all). Odd how no one here (in EQ2), never had a uber rare mat go up in flames with a failed combine, etc.

Secondly, I am not saying there should no be drops or rewards for raiding. I am saying that heading into a SPECIFIC dungeon to get a SPECIFIC item is a F'n joke. How can YOU... determine what you are going to get (and for whom) before it has actually taken place..?

Do most of you think Pantheon will have Static spawns, where you know the exact spawn time, exact mobs & in the exact same fashion as the last raid..?  What if Mobs are found on different levels of the dungeon, or these mobs actually relocates to different dungeons (ie migrates..)?

The idea of Me... Me.. Me..  I am going on a raid, because the last time I got something...  is a F'n Joke..  People will raid, because they want to adventure deeper down into a dungeon, to see what is there. Not as a damn shopping experience. What if there is a possibility of a raid mob dropping nothing..?

As for uber rare Artifacts..  Yes.

That can be a really prestigeous reward for an individual within a Guild. Such an item would elivate that guild's status. Would bring that INDIVIDUAL fame. That does not work if there are 10 such (same) items on the server. Thus trivializing such an item and it's pristige.

This post was edited by Hieromonk at December 6, 2015 9:47 AM PST
    • 170 posts
    December 6, 2015 1:06 PM PST

I think this alienates the non-uber folks and non-uber guilds from the others who might be a great player in a great guild but didn't win the race to the drop. Make them EQ1 hard to get but not impossible if you're not the first guild to get there. Make it so maybe two smaller guilds could raid together and have a chance at something special. This will encourage people to stay in smaller guilds and form a bond instead of just gearing up and hoping to the uber guilds. It's frustrating being in a guild and helping it grow and succeed just to see your best enchanter and tank leave to Silent Redemption for a shot at a once in a lifetime drop. I agree with this statement "Wandidar said:For me: Ultra, ultra, ULTRA rare - ...... - fine. That still means that everyone has a chance to get that item if they put in the work and get lucky. One item period? I don't see that as community building. I wouldn't like it."

• 122 posts
    December 6, 2015 1:58 PM PST

Abacda said:

I think this alienates the non-uber folks and non-uber guilds from the others who might be a great player in a great guild but didn't win the race to the drop. Make them EQ1 hard to get but not impossible if you're not the first guild to get there. Make it so maybe two smaller guilds could raid together and have a chance at something special. This will encourage people to stay in smaller guilds and form a bond instead of just gearing up and hoping to the uber guilds. It's frustrating being in a guild and helping it grow and succeed just to see your best enchanter and tank leave to Silent Redemption for a shot at a once in a lifetime drop. I agree with this statement "Wandidar said:For me: Ultra, ultra, ULTRA rare - ...... - fine. That still means that everyone has a chance to get that item if they put in the work and get lucky. One item period? I don't see that as community building. I wouldn't like it."

Yes. I loved EQ but this was a big drawback to non-instancing. Don't get me wrong, I'm anti-instance in most cases, but on my server there were 4 top raid guilds, and one of them was European. The European guild ended up being the top guild on the sever, not because they were better, but because they could get the mobs first and lock them out and when US raid time came, no raid mobs were left up. That meant no one else could raid or compete with eachother until the Euro guild had outgrown the content and everyone else could get the scraps. That was already frustrating enough as is, but at least eventually the other guilds could get the content. If I worked hard and found out a great item I wanted could no longer be obtained over something as silly as a timezone difference, I'd be furious.

This post was edited by Arksien at December 6, 2015 1:59 PM PST
    • 74 posts
    December 9, 2015 2:51 PM PST

I definitely like the idea of unique items to a server. I also really like the idea of that item being a random drop from any mob. It makes me feel like I could get something incredible at any point in time and that you are never truly wasting your time doing that 22nd group or raid run. I don't like it when people get to calculated and systematic about "time put in = get any item in the game you want" random luck can be a very exciting thing! Just my two cents :). I enjoy the illusion of no treadmill approach.

• 2419 posts
    December 9, 2015 3:55 PM PST

Hieromonk said:

1.  The reward is the EXPERIENCE they gained and knowing how to deal with such mobs and the GOLD they find, & the camraderie.. Not to mention the acclaim such a guild receives from such a feat. (pub talk anyone?)

2.  People don't raid dragons, GUILDS do..  the reward might be a guild stone, or an anceint writ for plot of land, etc. Or a rare spell that is AOE buff. Ironically, the INDIVIDUAL on a raid is in no more threat than any other individual. How about Raids that benifit YOUR GUILD..? Rather than a single individual within your guild ? The Idealogy that getting something for yourself on a raid is selfish and reeks of entitlement. If a few of your guild members come out with better equipment than going in, would be a bonus. Not the sole reason.

3.  Guild Rading should be predominantly for filling the Guild Coffers of wealth., so that the Guild will have copacious amounts of gold to purchase things. Such as land, or building their Guild Hall/Keep, or just buying rarities in the marketplace for things the Guild plans on building. What about the cost of registering a Boat they just spent 2 month building and 50 people helping..? Or paying off half the server for wood & stone to even start to build your keep. Raiders are not harvesters.. they will not have to 20k peices of stone to make a Keep, or will spend the time (months) to cut down trees and carpenterize all the wood needed for such things. A raiding guild will have to BUY all those things if they do not have a arm of Harvesters and Crafters within their ranks.

Endless possibilities... 

4.  Coincidentally, in any form of crafting, there is failure. Most Crafters may take a year to reach GM status (if at all). Odd how no one here (in EQ2), never had a uber rare mat go up in flames with a failed combine, etc.

5.  Secondly, I am not saying there should no be drops or rewards for raiding. I am saying that heading into a SPECIFIC dungeon to get a SPECIFIC item is a F'n joke. How can YOU... determine what you are going to get (and for whom) before it has actually taken place..?

6.  Do most of you think Pantheon will have Static spawns, where you know the exact spawn time, exact mobs & in the exact same fashion as the last raid..?  What if Mobs are found on different levels of the dungeon, or these mobs actually relocates to different dungeons (ie migrates..)?

7.  The idea of Me... Me.. Me..  I am going on a raid, because the last time I got something...  is a F'n Joke..  People will raid, because they want to adventure deeper down into a dungeon, to see what is there. Not as a damn shopping experience. What if there is a possibility of a raid mob dropping nothing..?

I had to break your post up into points because no statement could cover everything.

Point1.  So immaterial rewards for raiders?  I know you don't mean actual character experience because that is to tiny of an amount to be calculated.  Die even once and you're in the negative for quite some time.  Gold isn't a reward, it a reimbursement for expense.  Spell reagents cost money, damaged armor costs money to fix (if item decay is present) and, historically the amount of money any 1 raid boss dropped has been insignificant.

Point2.  Guilds are people and every item, spell or whatnot that drops indeed does go to an individual which in turn benefits the entire guild.  I've never been on a raid where only 1 item dropped either.  Never.  Then there was the distribution rules...raid points..where participation was rewarded yet still meant that rewards were going out to everyone sooner or later.  A good raiding guild could clear an entire zone and reward dozens of players with new items or spells.  I don't know what guilds you've been in, but mine have always taken the approach that what benefits the individual does benefit the guild.  There were no selfish people..they were quickly weeded out.

Point3.  So you want the guild to spend its money buying your stuff.  The money it took an entire guild to earn should be spent on items it took just 1 guy a few clicks at some crafting station to make?  And "raiders are not harvesters" comment.  Really?  Every null-sec alliance in EVE would like to have a chat with you about that.  Again, not sure about your guild history but my guild in EQ2 many times scrubbed entire zones empty of tradeskill nodes for hours on end just for the benefit of our guild crafters.  Oh..they built all guild stuff for free because the guild provided all the materials required.  Every sensible guild will have their own crafters (or alts which do crafting) because they know it is better to keep what money there is within the guild rather than padding someone elses wallet.

Point4.  Years to reach GM?  Try a week at most for a single tradeskill.  Case in point, raised all the crafting skills from 0 to 255 (that was the cap) in EQ1 on my Shaman in preparation for the Coldain Prayer Shawl quest.  Took less than 2 weeks and only had to go to Thurgadin and Neriak.  Only if you had to go hunt down each and every single material would tradeskills take any considerable length of time. Difficult?  No.  Tedious?  Yes.

Point5.  True that you never know if the item you want will drop that time, but you at least know that this mob in this zone does drop this item.  So you go and go and go until it drops...then you keep going until everyone else who needs it gets it.  That's what guilds do.  Individuals give up after getting what they want.

Point6.  Yes, I think Pantheon will have static spawns everywhere.  Dungeons will have statics all over the place with some mobs roaming.  Bosses will always appear in the same room and will be on some timer which is somewhat predictable.  Within a short time the entire loot table of every boss mob will be known and posted on a wiki site somewhere.

Point7. Actually for guilds that used Raid Points (RPP) or other participation metrics, it was rare that someone would earn multiple items in a single nights raiding. If they had gone weeks or months hording their RPP then yes, they could spend them rapid-fire like that but the end result would be them have to spend weeks and months earning them all back before being able to bid on new items.  It evened things out greatly.  Lots of raid mobs drop nothing.  Bosses are always coded to have a loot table.  Otherwise nobody would go.

• 184 posts
    December 9, 2015 6:07 PM PST

At first glance this seems like an interesting idea, but the more I think about it I can see issues with this from a community stand point. There will always be players who will feel jipped that they didn’t get the Artifact, and then the drama mill will be relentless. I think this will cause more problems than its worth, and that having these ultra-rare one time drops is a bad idea.

With that said, I’m not opposed to what EQ did years ago with the “Best of the Best Tournaments” where players of one class would compete against one another until there was only one person left, if I remember correctly each class had a shot at the “Best of the Best Tournaments” competing against others of their class. Each winner won a unique name that no other player on the server could ever obtain.

If Pantheon had contests like this where they rewarded winners with unique names or a unique item that gave its winner a cool ability or skill I would be open to that idea. Imagine if a warrior won his class contest and he chose to select a unique armor item that gave him the ability to perform minor heals or the ability to port to one zone as often as he wanted. This would/could be a great community event. Now I understand the EQ Best of the Best contests were PVP in nature and not everyone likes PVP, but what if players had to compete in a scenario where they had to defeat an encounter alone. Each encounter was unique to each player so that others who are watching can’t have time to work out a strategy and must defeat the encounter with their own techniques. Obviously the devil is in the details, but this could be really fun…

Rint

A few Best of Best Vid's

EverQuest - Warrior Best of the Best
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r41O7tdPhaQ

EverQuest - Best of the Best Rogues
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGA8wt_9mWM

EverQuest - Monk Best of the Best
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SQvDP5xh5c

EverQuest - 6v6 Best of the Best Groups
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5V71P2vFGQ

This post was edited by Rint at December 9, 2015 6:16 PM PST
    • 68 posts
    December 13, 2015 7:06 AM PST

Dullahan said:

I like the idea of the artifact that only drops once. I don't think it should be anything too over the top, but a special unique item is cool. I thought that was one of the few good ideas in EQ2.

I would tend to agree that if it is an artifact it should be unique and only drop once (that named artifact).  There could be different artifacts that drop as I am not against multiple, but again it should be super super rare and something that people are in awe over because it is unique.  

J

• 1434 posts
    December 13, 2015 2:54 PM PST

Liav said:

I really wish people would stop comparing the trivial process of crafting in other games to crafting in Pantheon.

While there hasn't been any official word on exactly what crafting will entail or even what items will be crafted, I think its safe to assume that crafting good items will have as much or more risk involved as any dropped item would. If risk vs reward is really the principle upon which this game is being created, that means a good crafted item would be as hard (or risky) to get materials to build as any item of the same calibre. If you are to craft an item with rare drop materials from rare spawn mobs, that immediately puts the risk on par with any normal items. Then if there is even a slight chance that the item may fail or be of lower quality, that is additional risk beyond that of gear acquired through adventuring.

This post was edited by Dullahan at December 13, 2015 2:56 PM PST
    • 2130 posts
    December 14, 2015 1:05 AM PST

Dullahan said:

I really wish people would stop comparing the trivial process of crafting in other games to crafting in Pantheon.

While there hasn't been any official word on exactly what crafting will entail or even what items will be crafted, I think its safe to assume that crafting good items will have as much or more risk involved as any dropped item would. If risk vs reward is really the principle upon which this game is being created, that means a good crafted item would be as hard (or risky) to get materials to build as any item of the same calibre. If you are to craft an item with rare drop materials from rare spawn mobs, that immediately puts the risk on par with any normal items. Then if there is even a slight chance that the item may fail or be of lower quality, that is additional risk beyond that of gear acquired through adventuring.

Crafting IS basically zero risk, unless you implement really stupid RNG mechanics like every eastern MMORPG in existence.

If the reagents come from rare/difficult mobs then I couldn't care less. I just don't want to see someone standing around in best in slot (or even remotely good) equipment without having gone out and actually killed something to make it. That's the vibe I was getting from the post I responded to, was that really good gear should be available to people who stand in front of a forge all day.

This post was edited by Liav at December 14, 2015 1:06 AM PST
    • 1434 posts
    December 14, 2015 1:52 AM PST

Liav said:

Dullahan said:

Crafting IS basically zero risk, unless you implement really stupid RNG mechanics like every eastern MMORPG in existence.

If the reagents come from rare/difficult mobs then I couldn't care less. I just don't want to see someone standing around in best in slot (or even remotely good) equipment without having gone out and actually killed something to make it. That's the vibe I was getting from the post I responded to, was that really good gear should be available to people who stand in front of a forge all day.

I have no problem with someone who stands in front of a forge all day having top end gear, as long as the materials to make it were as high risk to obtain as a comparable set of dropped gear.

For someone to "stand in front of a forge all day", that should mean they are either spending a lot of time bartering for materials and selling their wares (which is the sign of a healthy, functioning economy), or they're spending a lot of time grouping to acquire those materials. Either way, the best items are still balanced properly from a risk versus reward perspective.

This post was edited by Dullahan at December 14, 2015 1:53 AM PST
    • 1 posts
    December 14, 2015 3:00 AM PST

Vandraad said:

Dullahan said:

Boulda said:

Not a good idea in my opninion. Lets say I was skilled enough to get one of these with my guild. Then 2 weeks later things change in life and I quit playing. This special item would then have gone to someone who doesn't play anymore. After a few years they may not be seen anymore due to other players commitments.

Hard to get yes, 1 per server no.

Why does it have to be nodrop?

To prevent guilds from farming the mob and monopolizing the market. Not to mention the possiblity for RMT.

That's where non-tradable comes into play; I think that some nice or very special Artifact items would be fun, and one per server allowed would be about ok, as long as they are not gam breaking and would just add something special, like a unique non-damaging ability or spell, or an item that would give unmodifiable max ally with some race or faction if given to their people (ie losing the artifact), something in those lines.

Another possibilityis that if such an artifact is won by a guild, it would be a guild artifact, as it would be of no use for an individual, just adding value to the guild in some interesting way.

That could open the posibility of guild wars to obtain another guild's artifacts... if that would be ever implemented (could be a nightmare to develop that properly though).

All in all artifacts sound like a nice idea, as there are probably quite a lot of them already described in the Lore. Woudl be a way for a guild, more than a single character (I really think artifacts should be awarded to guilds more than to characters), to modify Pantheon's furure lore and leave their imprint in Terminus.

• 46 posts
    December 14, 2015 3:05 AM PST

If you go adventuring to kill a mob you have to move, aim, fire so to me there is some skill it that. What skill is there in crafting, ppl bring you items and you craft the object for them, no skill , so why does the no skilled sword (crafted) have to be as good as the sword from combat which took some skill to obtain?  

I have no problem with 1 artifact per server, as long as there are other artifacts that are 1 per server as well. perhaps one drop per server per charcter item slot.

Or every cycle / year a new artifact replaces the old one , so at any given time there is still an artiafct that could be found.

• 15 posts
    December 19, 2015 5:52 AM PST

I'm not so much a fan of items being dropped only once, especially if they have stats.

Now, if you told me that by being the Realm First to kill X dragon granted a rideable dragon mount with the same visuals that would be something I would be all for. Having a background in the 'Race to World First' across different MMO's I absolutely love participating in competitive PvE, especially when e-peen and title rewards are available. 100% yes to rewards, 100% no to weapons / armor obtainable once and once only. 

• 671 posts
    December 19, 2015 12:44 PM PST

Tuhart said:

If you go adventuring to kill a mob you have to move, aim, fire so to me there is some skill it that. What skill is there in crafting, ppl bring you items and you craft the object for them, no skill , so why does the no skilled sword (crafted) have to be as good as the sword from combat which took some skill to obtain?  

I have no problem with 1 artifact per server, as long as there are other artifacts that are 1 per server as well. perhaps one drop per server per charcter item slot.

Or every cycle / year a new artifact replaces the old one , so at any given time there is still an artiafct that could be found.

Have you ever crafted..?

How does one obtain the ability to make Hardened, Or Banded... while all the rookies crafters are still making Soft leather..?

How did that crafter get that ability... did he travel abroad looking for merchants to teach him, did he find the recipe in a teasure chest, did he buy the crafter book off another player who didn't know the value of the recipe inside..?   Either way, that person may be the only one on the server that knows how to make Hardened leather. (BTW.. even though he may know how...  that doesnt mean he can, or even find the right matrerials & parts to try...)

While another individial in another town (unguilded) stumbled on how to make Studded Leather... but now needs to spend the next month aquiring all the mats (materials) from animals, from plants, & from other players... and then spend time refining all those meterials, or perhaps he buy those sub-mats off other Crafters...  just to start his 1-month long project in trying to make a single sellable piece of Studded Leather Armor. Perhaps the metal studs needed by a blacksmith are really pricey, because that metal worker is spending too much time repairing poeople's armor and not enough time to make you 400 studds... so your Crafting of the Banded/Studded is on hold, until he can get you those 400 studs.

That is... weeks, or months needed to get all the correct materials, BEFORE you can even start on combinging them and working their crafting skill up high enough to make the actual Studded Armor pieces. That in nearly all that time, only a few pieces came out with enough value that you could sell..  and of coarse you will be taking the highest bidder once you complete a full set. And it will be some rich guild who will want your secret, or your warez.

Now... 3 months later you find out how to add MAGICAL studs to your Studded Leather armor..  which is way better than the local dungeon crawl/quested stuff..  but the logistics of making an entire set a week is near impossible, because you would need another in the marketplace looking for these mats all the time, if you can't spend your time in the world harvesting them yourself.

Or...  you drop down into your local dungeon for 3h and come out with Patchwork Leather and be happy... knowing you saved yourself some serious money, because only the rich dudes have that Studded Leather stuff.

This post was edited by Hieromonk at December 19, 2015 12:46 PM PST
    • 18 posts
    December 19, 2015 4:11 PM PST

I really like the idea of some type of arifact being awarded from a GM event, like stated above from Raidan. I would just wish it would be something that the player could show off but I would prefer it not be a stat based item. More cosmetic or usefull or something. Appearance item, mount, house item maybe or some such. 

• 84 posts
    December 30, 2015 12:29 PM PST

One off drops do nothing but keep players that didn't start on day one of the game from coming and playing the game. Even if it is only the perception of punishment (because its really not that good or whatever, in which case whats the point?). I hope we don't have mechanics that punish new players and limit the growth and replishment of the community.

This post was edited by Nydan at December 30, 2015 12:30 PM PST
    • 149 posts
    December 31, 2015 6:52 AM PST

I guess depends on what it is.

In the example you give, if that just had unique flavor text or look to it then sure. But if it had unique stats that werent able to be gotten anywhere else in the game then absolutely not.