Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Item Slots: Which ones?

• 2419 posts
    December 2, 2015 6:28 PM PST

Lots of discussions about gear going on so this is to differentiate from talking about the progression of gear (mudflation) to more about how gear fits on us, which slots, how many slots, visible/not-visible, etc.

EQ1 had Head, Back, Neck, Shoulder, Chest, Face, Arm, Wrist, Hand, Waist, Legs, Feet, Finger(x2), Ear(x2) then the weapon slots.  Were these slots sufficient?  Would there be a need or desire for more?  If so, where might new slot(s) appear?

I'm undecided about more slots.  I can see where having 2x wrist would be nice or legs actually having upper leg (Cuisses) and lower leg (Greave).  I think that with more slots, stats can be individually lower yet their total be just as high.  Thoughts?

• 1434 posts
    December 2, 2015 7:03 PM PST

Looks like they might agree with you. This of course is pre-Alpha, but here you see 21 slots (not counting ammo). There aren't two leg slots, but there are two bracers and some sort of trinket in addition to the normal arms slot.

• 86 posts
    December 2, 2015 7:10 PM PST

I think I prefer this a bit more simple.

Head, Chest, Hands, Waist, Legs, Feet, Neck, Ear (x1), Wrist, Finger (x2), Weapon.

Note, not weapons. Having to get not only a main slot weapon and a ranged weapon is quite a lot more difficult than worrying just about one main weapon. Magic classes using staves already use ranged attacks for the most part. It also leads to an easier time figuring out gearing, and less chance on RNG overall, but still requires a significant amount of RNG. The only thing with adding more slots is adding more replayability to certain areas/dungeons/raids as a chore. If you need more than the above, you could always have 2 ear slots. If anything further than this is needed, perhaps slots that have activated items (IE: accessory items) that give bonuses or certain effects when triggered. More than this, it gets frustrating, less than this and it probably becomes too easy.

• 41 posts
    December 2, 2015 9:01 PM PST

I would like to see dedicated slots for at least 2 clickies.  I hated having to move items out of a bag and into a main slot, activate it, then bag it again.  May have been a coding problem.

I would also like to see dedicated slots for food/drink -- Especially if they give stats.  

These slots dont neccessarily have to take the item out of the bag --- More of a "easy access" slot (clickies) and "Use me first" slot for food/drink.

• 86 posts
    December 2, 2015 9:22 PM PST

Silvanoshi said:

I would like to see dedicated slots for at least 2 clickies.  I hated having to move items out of a bag and into a main slot, activate it, then bag it again.  May have been a coding problem.

I would also like to see dedicated slots for food/drink -- Especially if they give stats.  

These slots dont neccessarily have to take the item out of the bag --- More of a "easy access" slot (clickies) and "Use me first" slot for food/drink.

Tbh, I would prefer if Food/Drink didn't give stats. Passive regens, sure yeah fine (HP/MP out of combat). However, stats should be acquired through gear, not food.

• 1434 posts
    December 2, 2015 9:36 PM PST

Silvanoshi said:

I personally enjoyed the inventory management that was involved with the use of clickies. Its yet another example of the little nuances or meta that added depth to gameplay.

To be most effective in EQ, I seldom used more than 5 bags in my 8 inventory slots. This allowed me to keep j-boots, pumice and another clicky available at all times. Especially in pvp, this was essential. You could always tell who had clickies at the ready and who had to dig through their bags.

This post was edited by Dullahan at December 2, 2015 9:41 PM PST
    • 47 posts
    December 2, 2015 11:10 PM PST

Give me as many item slots as you can possibly fit on a screen - but do not give me "sets" of gear that take away the fun of finding a randon upgrade in any given slot and being happy about the gain.

• 232 posts
    December 3, 2015 7:17 AM PST

RandomCarnage said:

Give me as many item slots as you can possibly fit on a screen - but do not give me "sets" of gear that take away the fun of finding a randon upgrade in any given slot and being happy about the gain.

I hear you on this.  I also dislike sets.  Maybe a set of two items would be OK, such as the warrior 1.0 epic in EQ (two swords).

• 668 posts
    December 3, 2015 7:33 AM PST

Yeah I am a fan of as many slot options as possible that make sense.  Nothing better than finding these slot items out in the open world.  If it is too limited, it just feels like there is less to achieve inside the game.  Too easy to "max" you stats if you only have so many slots to fill during your adventures.

The example above is definitely following the EQ set, which I am okay with!

• 1778 posts
    December 3, 2015 7:52 AM PST
    Im kind of a simple is better kinda guy for item slots but I eont hate it if its not. That being said I love set effects on items. I dont wont it to be with everything or even most things but Im not against set effects.
    • 2419 posts
    December 3, 2015 8:11 AM PST

I like armor sets provided they aren't overdone. I'd like to see a set early on that is earned by a combination of quest, drop and crafted.  Nothing too special but rewarding nonetheless.  When you go from set to set to set is where the uniqueness of having an armor set loses its luster.  EQ1 at release had what, 2 sets for each class?  The low level class quest armor and then the sets from PoFear/Hate.  In between was a large gap where you replaced pieces here and there.

• 44 posts
    December 3, 2015 9:47 AM PST

I'm not a fan of gear sets. I prefer to puzzle with bits and pieces i find along the way.

• 122 posts
    December 3, 2015 10:11 AM PST

RandomCarnage said:

COULD NOT AGREE MORE! I HATE stat-bonus set items with a bloody passion! Suddenly, instead of the fun "mix and match" everyone had in EQ, you have the "everyone looks identical in all ways" problem of WoW.

I'm in the "more the merrier" camp for gear. It helps make each person more unique. The fewer slots you have, the more likely people start to look similar in their gear. 

Also, and this might be controversial, but I don't want people to be able to hide their helm/cape or change the appearance of items. I want the item to look a certain way, you put it on, and then that's it. MAYBE I could see armor dye being a thing, as long as the color choices were limited to earth tones and not unlocked until later in the game through crafting or such. What I don't want to see is someone's bare head because they didn't like the way their helm looked, even though they're still wearing it/getting the stats, then a bright pink tunic with neon green legs because that's what they felt like. Oh, and they also put a cosmetic mod on their crappy chest piece to make it look like a high end raid drop, so they can look awesome even though they didn't earn elite gear. NO THANKS TO ANY OF THAT.

I also wouldn't mind seeing "sizes" come back into play like they were in classic EQ. It's stupid that a gnome can take off their helm and hand it to an ogre who can wear it without issue. Maybe rings/bracers/capes etc ok fine, but tunic/helm/legs etc. should come in finite sizes specific to each race (within a certain range). NO DROP items could be one size fits all if the caviet is that they need to go get it forged for themselves as part of the quest. That way later raid gear can be more open without needing to have too many items for each race (oh no, no gnomes on the raid, guess this helm rots) but those items should be the exception, NO DROP, and given as a quest reward, not an actual drop.

• 668 posts
    December 3, 2015 10:27 AM PST

I agree, I am not a "gear set" type of player.  Reason is, every class will tend to look the same.

Let there be enough pieces out there in the world and let each individual player become what they are based on their journey.

• 793 posts
    December 3, 2015 10:39 AM PST

I like the idea that everything you could armor yourself with or wear is available, give more options to be unique, more combinations for certain needs.  

• 1778 posts
    December 3, 2015 11:55 AM PST
    I think I need to specify that i meant I like set effects not specifically sets of gear not that the set effects would require all pieces. Also Im all for many many unique and varied item pieces. That being said thats gonna end up one of 2 ways. Either everybody looks like mismatched bums. Or the devs homogonize all the gear to look like they kind of go together.
    • 724 posts
    December 3, 2015 3:16 PM PST

Regarding item slots: They can be conservative in my opinion. Most games have a very similar layout, because it works well enough.

Much more interesting for me is, how many bag slots will be there? How large will the largest bag be? Will there be an extra slot bar like a tool belt where you can put clickies/potions (provided those exist)?

Will there be slots to swap weapons out (for example, between melee and ranged weapons)?

• 2138 posts
    December 3, 2015 5:24 PM PST

I like the idea of having to manage the space you have: it may be unpopular, but I feel it is part of the genre. Now, I would not mind having to hold food and drink in seperate, bag-free, general inventory slots (that would make it HARD) but I am ok with one general inventory spot whee if a bag is placed, the top two slots will allow a sort of auto-feed- sort of like the quick accessible pocket where you would put trail mix/ jerky/water bladder if hiking.

I think a Charm/Totem bonus slot is a good idea, with various totem/charms that can be swapped out, maybe even with hidden faction modifiers?  (like in the movie "Man who would be king", where they are about to get killed, and the masonic sign necklace flops out, and they stop-amazed saying "the sign of Alexander{the great}!" welcome).

I also like the idea of obviously lore-filling books that have recipies, and then a suggestion like: these bog-rolls go well with soul-sipper nectar. and if you make them both as a meal, you accidentally discover a non-stated benefit like swamp-walk, or something. I also dont mind stat-food.  

• 671 posts
    December 4, 2015 9:09 AM PST

The Paper Doll is one of the things I am most excited to see in Alpha. It is how you interact with your "self" in the game. The window into your character.

and there was mention of socks..

This post was edited by Hieromonk at December 4, 2015 9:10 AM PST
    • 47 posts
    December 4, 2015 5:43 PM PST

Hieromonk said:

The Paper Doll is one of the things I am most excited to see in Alpha. It is how you interact with your "self" in the game. The window into your character.

and there was mention of socks..

How you interact with yourself using a sock is your business, just don't do it in public, and do your own laundry!

• 1281 posts
    December 4, 2015 5:52 PM PST

Silvanoshi said:

I disagree. If you want to use an items ability you need to equip it. As far as I'm concerned, they can make it so that if you unequip the item the buffed ability fades. That adds additional layers into gameplay. Does the buffs ability make more of a difference than an item in that slot?

Regarding the equipment slots, I'm fine with how they have it laid out now.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at December 4, 2015 5:54 PM PST
    • 47 posts
    December 4, 2015 6:09 PM PST

Dullahan said:

Looks like they might agree with you. This of course is pre-Alpha, but here you see 21 slots (not counting ammo). There aren't two leg slots, but there are two bracers and some sort of trinket in addition to the normal arms slot.

Where is the torso/chest slot? Is it the one with the highlighted bracer in it?

• 2419 posts
    December 4, 2015 7:03 PM PST

Maybe the top row, second from the left?

• 1434 posts
    December 4, 2015 7:43 PM PST

RandomCarnage said:

Dullahan said:

Where is the torso/chest slot? Is it the one with the highlighted bracer in it?

Come to think of it, yes that bracer looking thing probably is the chest slot, not a trinket. The icon threw me off. Think the thing up top is shoulder.

• 2419 posts
    December 4, 2015 9:07 PM PST

Game is not even in alpha yet and Aradune is already cheating by wearing a bracer in the chest slot.  tsk tsk tsk.