Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Common, Uncommon, and Rare quests.

• 338 posts
    November 30, 2015 12:27 PM PST

What if NPC's could offer different rarity quests to different people ?

Most people would get the common quest but if you were lucky you might get an uncommon harder version of the quest... or even a rare version that would be much harder but with a better reward.

This would lead to everyone having a different story instead of just making their way through all the quests.

At the moment you trigger the NPC to give you a quest whichever version you get would just be assigned to your character and that would be that.

If you abandon the quest and to get it again you just get the same rarity as when you had it before.

Would a system like this just piss you off ? Or would it add a dynamic layer to the world ?

I'm not really sure tbh but I would like to hear some opinions on it.

Thanks for reading,

Kiz~

• 668 posts
    November 30, 2015 12:34 PM PST

One problem I see here is it becomes a Random Generated system which most people dislike.  I would rather see the randomness come from a % chance when looting a named mob.  Or a % chance of triggering an event that could drop higher rarity items.

I am not a fan of a general quest locking you in on an items rarity permanently.

• 148 posts
    November 30, 2015 12:52 PM PST

While it would keep things fresh, especially for alts, this system seems to me to favor quest hubs which Pantheon is not doing. Quests in EQ were sparse with no indication an npc had a quest, and Pantheon is using a similar idea with no quest hubs and no quest markers for npcs. Though I don't remember hearing about the number of quests

• 338 posts
    November 30, 2015 1:04 PM PST

Ya I'm not talking about quest hubs at all actually this is the opposite of that.

Crazy rare quests that only pop up once in a blue moon that you just so happen to stumble across.

Stuff that only you and a few others have even got the chance to do.

Better get a group together cause who knows what mobs might be on the way.

hehe ;)

Kiz~

P.S. What if the remote villiage that you have been selling and resting at one day had a new NPC pop up and you noticed... This NPC offers you a quest then dissapears to possibly meet you further along in the quest line. Other people will never even know it exists.

This post was edited by Angrykiz at November 30, 2015 1:08 PM PST
    • 19 posts
    November 30, 2015 2:56 PM PST

What about having your interaction or past interaction with the world/faction/npc enabling new quests.  If you have been a huge help to a settlement or NPC it would seem like they would be more willing to reward you with a special mission

• 668 posts
    November 30, 2015 3:27 PM PST

Deuce said:

What about having your interaction or past interaction with the world/faction/npc enabling new quests.  If you have been a huge help to a settlement or NPC it would seem like they would be more willing to reward you with a special mission

This almost falls in line with "faction" quests.  Faction where you do nothing but kill for a month straight is the exact repetition Pantheon is trying to do away with.  But, in your example, sounds like some good deeds you do unknowingly, then all of a sudden a fun lengthy, rewarding quest pops up...  That is very cool and is dynamic!

• 37 posts
    November 30, 2015 5:30 PM PST

I'd like to see differentiation between missions and quests.  Quests by their very definition are long, arduous and personal.  Missions are a better fit for the delivery and fetch it boy stuff.  Whatever you do, I hope there is a good mix of missions, quests, camping, dungeon crawling, exploring, crafting and so forth.  Even though I don't want all of my leveling to be quest based, I don't want it all to be camping based either.

• 338 posts
    December 1, 2015 5:40 AM PST

Vorthanion said:

I'd like to see differentiation between missions and quests.  Quests by their very definition are long, arduous and personal.  Missions are a better fit for the delivery and fetch it boy stuff.  Whatever you do, I hope there is a good mix of missions, quests, camping, dungeon crawling, exploring, crafting and so forth.  Even though I don't want all of my leveling to be quest based, I don't want it all to be camping based either.

I hope quests do NOT reward significant exp...

Kiz~