Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Naming Conventions

• 57 posts
    November 27, 2015 1:31 PM PST

Great! I think exactly that sort of thing is more than enough to be helpful for allowing the players to get more or less on the same page if they want to. Some games have nothing to go off of but the NPCs, and sometimes their names are just all over the place. :P Cougheqcough.

• 70 posts
    November 27, 2015 5:21 PM PST

Naming conventions are fine in some instances, such as suggestios. They help keep the immersion in game.

But, my main has been Graysilk/Greysilk since EQ, thru EQII, VG, current game, and I have intended to do the same in Pantheon.

I think the only kind of conventions I would like to see set in stone are EQ's original: no copyrighted names as Mickymouse, no titles, such as SirTickle, or Dukeround, or Kingjones. No racial slur, sacrilgious, or foul language.

Hopefully no silly names like Pancake, Jellyroll, and ect. I know that by the time several thousand people are playing a game, it may take awhile to get a name you like accepted: but really, Jellyroll?.

I also liked EQ's system of surname being awarded at level 20. It was something to work for. And an ingame GM, awarded it for you. Nice little ceremony.

• 57 posts
    November 27, 2015 8:08 PM PST

Don't worry about it, I don't think anyone's talking about enforced rules, just inspiration. Conventions, not restrictions! :P

• 9115 posts
    November 28, 2015 12:42 AM PST

Graysilk said:

Naming conventions are fine in some instances, such as suggestios. They help keep the immersion in game.

But, my main has been Graysilk/Greysilk since EQ, thru EQII, VG, current game, and I have intended to do the same in Pantheon.

I think the only kind of conventions I would like to see set in stone are EQ's original: no copyrighted names as Mickymouse, no titles, such as SirTickle, or Dukeround, or Kingjones. No racial slur, sacrilgious, or foul language.

Hopefully no silly names like Pancake, Jellyroll, and ect. I know that by the time several thousand people are playing a game, it may take awhile to get a name you like accepted: but really, Jellyroll?.

I also liked EQ's system of surname being awarded at level 20. It was something to work for. And an ingame GM, awarded it for you. Nice little ceremony.

As Istuulamae and KC have pointed out, this is not enforced, it is a lore inspired suggestion or explanations for how NPCs are named, you can name your character whatever you like, within reason (profanity filter etc.)

Istuulamae said:

Gadgets said:

If I can't be a Gnome named Gadgets then I think this idea stinks. But maybe I don't understand the concept being suggested. 

You can absolutely name your Gnomes Gadgets. Naming conventions are simply guides for coming up with names, official or otherwise. They are not rules that limit those names to certain things.

• 70 posts
    November 29, 2015 3:01 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Graysilk said:

As Istuulamae and KC have pointed out, this is not enforced, it is a lore inspired suggestion or explanations for how NPCs are named, you can name your character whatever you like, within reason (profanity filter etc.)

Istuulamae said:

Gadgets said:

If I can't be a Gnome named Gadgets then I think this idea stinks. But maybe I don't understand the concept being suggested. 

You can absolutely name your Gnomes Gadgets. Naming conventions are simply guides for coming up with names, official or otherwise. They are not rules that limit those names to certain things.

Thank you for your answer Kilsin.

• 9115 posts
    November 29, 2015 3:47 PM PST

Graysilk said:

Kilsin said:

Graysilk said:

Istuulamae said:

Gadgets said:

Thank you for your answer Kilsin.

You're welcome my friend :)

• VR Staff
    • 246 posts
    November 30, 2015 12:03 PM PST

Narben4 said:

"BUT I THOUGHT THIS WAS ABOUT NAMES"

Of course. So to get a Halfling name, you start with their gender and familial role. Most males have either Faro (father) or Bir (brother) contained in or as their entire first name, while females have Mara (mother) or Sor (sister) in the same. Then, usually, the last syllable of one of the Six Wards is added to a prefix of the biological parent's choosing. If that's confusing, let me give some examples and the formula used before you quit reading on me. Again, this method is still somewhat experimental and may change any number of ways. But it's a least a working method.

Sor Whyren (Young female + "Why" given by parent + "ren", the last syllable of Kiren, Ward of Flame)

Faro Sifae (Elder male + "Sif" given by parent + "ae" the last syllable of Masae, Ward of the Hunt)

Dybir Helbel (Young male + "Hel" given + "bel" of Phosbel, Ward of Joy)

Save yourself immeasurable heartache and resist the sudden urge to rush out and get a tattoo of any of these names because, as I've said, things may change. But that's the way we're approaching the Halflings at the moment.

This was excellent thank you.

A question though. While i undertsand the idea of the relationship/status prefix for the halflings as described above i am interested as to your thinking about where someone would become and "elder" and whether there is a status with age that would mean you could be known as "Dybir Helbel" while young and that your name may change to "Faro Helbel" after a certain age or event (fatherhood or other significant cultural event).

I ask because we are would all be creating characters at varying ages and stages of life and it would inconsistent for them to all be Faro or Dybir and having an understanding on some of these cultural nuances would deepen the naming (imo anyway)

once again ty 

Narben4 -

That's a good observation. A couple thoughts:

1. Wonderfully, you all are free to choose the name you want. However, if you want a "true" Halfling name to ingratiate yourself within the race, I think the parameters will need to be better defined from us a little bit. Because so much of Halfling society and culture is adaptive rather than assertive, there isn't a grand ceremony that officially transitions a member from Bir to Faro. It's a humble act, done in small-room sacredness, if you will. There isn't a coronation or even an age-mandated right of passage, because "being a Bir" isn't really less significant. Many Halfings will be all of their lives. But when Faro or Mara is granted there is a uniquely Halfling reverence, perhaps even different than we modern Humans can fully grasp since our social groupings are segmented by comparison. Therefore, in keeping with your freedom to pick a name, you get to pick if that transition event has happened -- so to speak -- when you create and name your character. (To ward off the inevitable questions, I have no idea if we will have an in-game mechanic to achieve that. Because I hate to overpromise, let's just behave as if we will not).

2. While I listed Faro and Dybir as two examples of what a first name could look like, it's worth noting that Faro will most commonly be part of a name, much like Bir is part of Dybir. So anything from Kilfaro or Senfaro to Morfaron or Hafarosi would be more common. Will that open up enough variance for an entire race? I don't know. We'll have to see as we name and populate more. I certainly won't permit redundancy or staleness, so if we feel it's trending that way adjustments, amendments or so on will be considered.

Thanks so much for your interest and questions, everyone.

This post was edited by Istuulamae at November 30, 2015 12:09 PM PST