Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Guild vs. Guild

• 17 posts
    November 15, 2015 8:20 PM PST

I think it would add another layer of danger and excitement to the game. Is anyone else interested to see this feature return to a game? From what I remember in EQ1 both guilds would consent to going to war. You were then flagged as being able to be killed by the opposing guild and vise versa anywhere in the world.

• 781 posts
    November 15, 2015 9:43 PM PST

Has my vote :)

• 668 posts
    November 15, 2015 10:15 PM PST

It is one way to increase PvP factor and as long as it is done right, would be fun.  I just do not want to see a zerg guild take over anything like I saw in Archeage.  It will be interesting to see how the guilds work in Pantheon.

Pyye

• 85 posts
    November 15, 2015 11:58 PM PST

I'd rather just have a whole PvP server.  :)

However, I'd take this on a PvE server.  It would be preferable to warfront type PvP.  Guild vs. Guild could definitely have some fun factor, especially with contested content.  People would probably complain though; I think it's best to keep it separate.

• 1434 posts
    November 16, 2015 12:50 AM PST

Sylee said:

I'd rather just have a whole PvP server.  :)

However, I'd take this on a PvE server.  It would be preferable to warfront type PvP.  Guild vs. Guild could definitely have some fun factor, especially with contested content.  People would probably complain though; I think it's best to keep it separate.

I agree. I have all kinds of different guild v guild ideas, but I just don't know how relevant or compatible they would be at this ponit. They are only hoping to have a PvP server at launch, so such mechanics are not on the top of their list.

I think it would be great if guilds could establish outposts or even cities. I know ways that kind of thing could be viable on both PvE and PvP servers and could offer interesting small and large guild based perks and advancement (not unlike guild ranks in other MMOs). It would be optional (like any good sandbox), but the next logical step beyond Vanguard for more varied gameplay beyond PvE progression.

This post was edited by Dullahan at November 16, 2015 12:53 AM PST
    • 46 posts
    November 16, 2015 1:42 AM PST

Hate pvp could we have a non pvp server?

Just for the Carebears please.

• 9115 posts
    November 16, 2015 3:12 AM PST

We have stated many times that we will keep PvE and PvP on separate servers, so this may be a great idea to discuss for a PvP server, but it will most likely not even be considered on a PvE server unless there is an extraordinary show of support calling for it, right now, though, our focus is heavily on making the game, which is first and foremost a PvE game, the rest will come later when we have a solid foundation to build on and as I said, we have plans for a meaningful PvP server (or more) if there is enough support for them.

• 1434 posts
    November 16, 2015 3:43 AM PST

Kilsin said:

We have stated many times that we will keep PvE and PvP on separate servers, so this may be a great idea to discuss for a PvP server, but it will most likely not even be considered on a PvE server unless there is an extraordinary show of support calling for it, right now, though, our focus is heavily on making the game, which is first and foremost a PvE game, the rest will come later when we have a solid foundation to build on and as I said, we have plans for a meaningful PvP server (or more) if there is enough support for them.

Thats the way it should be. There will be more than enough support for a few PvP servers, but creating a world worth PvPing in is the most important. If there is one thing that can be gleaned from PvP MMOs, even of a sandbox nature, its that without a good reason to play the game or something worth fighting over, PvP gets boring really quick. It should therefore be the last priority, contrary to what any "hardcore" PvP player will tell you.

• 409 posts
    November 16, 2015 9:19 AM PST

<3 Kilsin and VR for being PVE 100% at first.

Nothing wrecks an MMO faster than straddling the fence between PVP and PVE. 

• 668 posts
    November 16, 2015 9:44 AM PST

Venjenz said:

<3 Kilsin and VR for being PVE 100% at first.

Nothing wrecks an MMO faster than straddling the fence between PVP and PVE. 

LOL true that...   Let's stay on one side of the fence and focus on the PVE interested folks for now!  I tend to like a mixture of both but to be honest, but the excitement of teams against the AI will entertain me enough I am fairly certain.

Pyye

• 77 posts
    November 16, 2015 10:16 AM PST

No Thanks.  PvP in a MMO like this type, is typically horribly imbalanced because what makes it great is the differences between the classes.

• 72 posts
    November 16, 2015 10:27 AM PST

Fingurs said:

No Thanks.  PvP in a MMO like this type, is typically horribly imbalanced because what makes it great is the differences between the classes.

I never quite understood why imbalance was a fear for pvp as long as it's done properly. Proper PVP should be like Rock, Paper, Scissors.

The only imbalance that needs to be avoided is when Class_A beats every other class. Class_B beats everyone except for Class_A... And so on.

• 89 posts
    November 16, 2015 10:29 AM PST

I always pvp if its fun.  I remember grinding to Grand Marshall in WoW, and I never pvped before that.  We had a regular group of players we'd play with and rotate people in depending upon who was online.  I really enjoyed the focus on teamwork.  Found memories.

This post was edited by sdcord at November 16, 2015 10:31 AM PST
    • 409 posts
    November 16, 2015 10:51 AM PST

Fingurs said:

This this and MOAR this.

Vast difference between classes makes PVE great, but leads to PVP "it's not fair" whineplay in the extreme, and the devs end up making PVP more "fair" which always, every time, forever and ever makes PVE end up sucking majorly. 

• 17 posts
    November 16, 2015 2:17 PM PST

The reason I bring GvG up is because it was a feature in early EQ. It worked similar to the /duel mechanic. I fail to see how consenting pvp on a pve server will ruin things. It would also be an interesting way to test mechanics of pvp with out creating a whole new server. But I am just throwing ideas out there, don't mind me, stick to the plan you guys at VR have. Feature creap can really destroy a game, just look at Star Citizen, woah snap!

This post was edited by JudgeFudge at November 16, 2015 4:11 PM PST
    • 668 posts
    November 16, 2015 2:41 PM PST

If two people want to /duel I don't think that is a bad feature to have.  No harm in it really and can be fun...  That was around in original EQ and I still remember the "Best of the Best" challenges the GMs put on!

This post was edited by Pyye at November 16, 2015 2:41 PM PST
    • 428 posts
    February 3, 2016 11:42 AM PST

There is no reason why PVP changes needs to affect PVE.  If they make a change to class A that change could be only implemented while player is in PVP.  Everquest 2 had a system that brought down certain stats and spells if it was used in PVP but the PVE settings were identitcal for PVE as it was for every other PVE server 

• 110 posts
    February 3, 2016 1:26 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Ty Ty TY

Keep that stinkin PvP off my PvE server! Hah. Also, while it was a feature in EQ1, I think in 8 years playing I only saw it used once (and the folks that partook wound up  hating it)

Garmr

• 137 posts
    February 3, 2016 5:21 PM PST
    Classes will be tremendously different on the PVP server for balancing reasons...at least I would think they would be
    • 1434 posts
    February 3, 2016 5:34 PM PST

Wigg said: Classes will be tremendously different on the PVP server for balancing reasons...at least I would think they would be

I don't know why, they weren't even significantly different on EQ PvP servers, let alone tremendously. The difference in classes on the PvP server was basically that charm and fear did not work on players. Otherwise, a player could do anything they could do to a mob to a player permitted the player did not have high resists. Frankly, I don't even think charm and fear should have been disabled. It was only a problem early on because players did not have any resists or understanding of how important resists were when fighting a caster.

This post was edited by Dullahan at February 3, 2016 5:36 PM PST
    • 37 posts
    February 3, 2016 6:25 PM PST

I thought pvp threads were summarily closed?

I have a lot of thoughts on the subject but understood them to not be welcome at this time. Is that still true?

• 1434 posts
    February 3, 2016 11:50 PM PST

Romulus said:

I have a lot of thoughts on the subject but understood them to not be welcome at this time. Is that still true?

You can talk about PvP all you want, but because Pantheon is a PvE game first and foremost, it does tend to ruffle some feathers. Brad has already said there will be PvP server(s), and probably other rulesets if the popularity exists, so there is no reason you couldn't discuss it if you care to.

• 9115 posts
    February 4, 2016 1:05 AM PST

Romulus said:

Some of the threads that were started for PvP discussion quickly turned into arguments over personal opinions and back and forth personal attacks between PvP and PvE community members, even after several warnings on it happening and requesting the posters stay on topic and mature/civil which were ignore and the threads were closed.

Pantheon is a PvE game first and foremost and while we continue development on the game, we have no information on PvP other than if we get enough support from people who want PvP servers then we will definitely consider it but until later in development there is nothing to really discuss as any ideas, suggestions or requests will not be met with any official comments until we see enough of an interest in PvP servers, so while I will not close any PvP threads that remain on topic, mature and civil, they typically go off topic very quickly as there is nothing to discuss other than personal opinions and ideas, which differ from player to player.

• 366 posts
    February 4, 2016 4:09 AM PST

Garmr said:

Keep that stinkin PvP off my PvE server! Hah. Also, while it was a feature in EQ1, I think in 8 years playing I only saw it used once (and the folks that partook wound up  hating it)

Garmr

/smile

Pantheon is a PVE focused game.  If I want to PVP I play a PVP focused game; makes for better gameplay when the game has focus.

edit: I am fine with PvP servers in Pantheon (for those that want it) as long as they do not adust the entire game for PvP

This post was edited by Zarriya at February 4, 2016 6:56 AM PST
    • 149 posts
    February 4, 2016 5:30 AM PST

I actually love PvP from time to time and Guild vs Guild is awesome as it is concensual and has to be activated through the "Going To War" process. I vote yes!

This would actually also be cool for guilds that were competing for World First raid kills in open world zones. They could go to work with competing guilds to keep them from getting it first.