Forums » Crafting and Gathering

gathering skills and 'nodes'

• 75 posts
    November 2, 2015 5:03 PM PST

Apologies if i should have put this somewhere else but i think it goes well in the crafting thread.

Mining

One of the (many) critical issues for me is how easily crafting materials are obtained and how they appear in the game world.  I HATE (strong but warranted) the appearance of orde nodes in games like WoW and ESO (and mnay many others).  you know what i am talking about - "those orange (or whatever colour to distingush difference is used) globs of what is supposedly metal that just sit there in the world zones".

There is no realism it in.  I don't think i have wandered along a river bank and thought to myself "wow look a big glob of silver ore i should just hit that with a hammer :)" 

I love how ore was depicted in Skyrim.  veins running through rock, on the ground or in walls.  For me this was much much better.

The issue i had here, was that just because i could see something different i was instantly able to differentiate (by name) in world.  Perhaps as part of training mining, we are taught the appearnce of ore veins, we taught where they may appear and we are then able to go and find them?  Find them by looking not by mousing over a node and seeing  a name?

Botany/Herbalism

this is usually depicted much better - different plants look, well they look different.  But i like the way in which the Witcher has dealt with this skill.  you must learn the plants of an area before you ca gather them.  this could be done through trainers or drops of certain mobs like Orc Shamans dropping hand scribbled notes (or books of notes more rarely) of the types of plants and usages.

Perhaps we could use different parts of plants for different reasons?

Leather's and pelts

obviously different animals can drop different types of pelts.  these pelst can then be cured to make varying crafting components. using different types of pelts and quantities can lead to new types of leather (with some bonus to them frost wolf pelt +cold resistance, fire drake + fire resist etc).  

Oh and lastly

SPecific item drops that are used to craft rare gear.  I love the idea of getting an item that allows the crafting of a particularly rare and sought after item.  these items should not be 100 % drop rate items.  they should be hard to acquire and or should be rewards to difficlut crafting based quest lines and rewards for people who have dedicated time to mastering  a crafting skill.   I have seen the remnants of this type of item in LOTRO where items still drop but there is no longer any crafting dependent on them.  i missed that window, but think it could add a deep line to crafting for those who wish to pursue it. 

It would be good to see the game include an evolution (or a back to the future) in this regard.  

thoughts? 

This post was edited by Narben4 at November 2, 2015 5:07 PM PST
    • 1434 posts
    November 3, 2015 12:37 AM PST

We've talked about this a bit. Specifically about the ways to make crafting materials rarer to justify better crafted items.

The conclusion I've come to is that ore or the other materials necessary for crafting should be hard to obtain (unlike nodes in most MMOs). Nodes could be placed in dangerous areas that a player cannot reach alone (unless higher level - in which case the materials would be for lower level items). I think it would be good if at least one of the items for every combine be a drop from mobs. Perhaps the ore itself is the common material, but patterns and other mats needed for combines should come from mobs.

Deconstructing or disenchanting rare drop items could also provide a source of crafting materials. This would be another solution to removing items from the economy.

As far as the skill itself, I sort of like a prospecting ability. This has appeared in a few games and I thought it was more interesting and enjoyable than just having visible nodes. A game called Ryzom had this as well as SWG (I believe).

This post was edited by Dullahan at November 3, 2015 12:39 AM PST
    • 9115 posts
    November 3, 2015 1:02 AM PST

VG actually did this very well with a tier system of nodes and harvestable mobs that was linked to similar levels in crafting and adventuring. Starting out was relatively risk free and allowed for very common low level items to be harvested and made for low value and the higher you levelled, the more risk that was associated with harvesting and subsequently more risk in failing while crafting an item depending on your attributes/stats and gear, it made crafting and harvesting more rewarding and helped maintain a healthy economy. People could make a living from harvesting if they wanted too but you had to put in a lot of work with the risk of getting killed, the only thing that ruined the economy later on was duping exploits (for both money and items) and when they introduced the external trading system for real money, then finally the cash shop but early on, this crafting and harvesting system worked extremely well and was one of the best I have ever used.

An example of the Tier system:

lvl 1-10 = Tier 1 (starting area's - mostly risk free)

lvl 11-20 = Tier 2 (low-level surrounding area's - relatively harmless with some danger)

lvl 21-30 = Tier 3 (mid-level area's - level appropriate danger)

lvl 31-40 = Tier 4 (mid-high level area's - level appropriate danger)

lvl 41-50 = Tier 5 (high-level area's and most dangerous/highest risk of death)

I think a similar system to VG's would be a very good fit for a game like Pantheon, I would be interested to hear other ex-VG players opinions whom crafted and harvested extensively with that system to see whether they agree or not.

• 1434 posts
    November 3, 2015 1:23 AM PST

I found gathering the materials in Vanguard to be too easy to justify the end product. I did like the team based gathering, but even from early on you could basically sneak around by yourself and get all the materials you needed to create really good items. I think that aspect of VG crafting should be avoided.

• 9115 posts
    November 3, 2015 2:33 AM PST

I am not sure we are talking about the same crafting/harvesting era of VG mate, because anything worthwhile in VG crafting required Ultra Rares/Rares and they were completely random in spawn and location, the node system was linked to certain harvesting paths and if you hit a node out of order, you would have to wait for it and the entire chain to respawn if you wanted to harvest efficiently, it made harvesting somewhat of an endurance game, which worked very well for a number of reasons.

If you were creating items with less than URs or Rares which were very time-consuming to gather yourself and (back in the early days - which is what I am referring too) expensive to purchase, anything less than UR/R crafted items were not worthwhile or better than named mob dropped rewards or quest rewards. Group dungeon and Raid items far outshone crafted items in VG towards end game by a very large margin and that was not the crafting or harvesting systems fault, it was itemisation, but UR and Rare low to mid-high level items were awesome and they were not easy to make in bulk due to the URs/Rs taking so long to harvest with appropriate danger depending where you harvested them.

Some less dangerous areas would be the least yielding area's, so while slightly easier, they produced much less mats, which balanced the system very well.

• 1434 posts
    November 3, 2015 6:33 AM PST

I am referring to the same. The rares and ultra rares made extremely good items, which I thought were too powerful for something that could be done by 1 player, regardless of how long it took to harvest. That system might have worked for a game where crafting was the primary source of armor, but when it produces items that were basically better than most dropped gear outside of a few rares and raid items, I personally felt it trivialized gear progression.

If I was to take anything from VG crafting and harvesting it would be the group node gathering and the actual item creation process. If a single player can harvest the ore, there should be other rare components that come from harder mobs requiring a group.

Simply put, regardless of time, I just don't think a single player should ever be capable of gathering the materials for a complete set of gear. Vanguard allowed that, even in the start.

• 288 posts
    November 3, 2015 9:23 AM PST

Kilsin said:

VG actually did this very well with a tier system of nodes and harvestable mobs that was linked to similar levels in crafting and adventuring. Starting out was relatively risk free and allowed for very common low level items to be harvested and made for low value and the higher you levelled, the more risk that was associated with harvesting and subsequently more risk in failing while crafting an item depending on your attributes/stats and gear, it made crafting and harvesting more rewarding and helped maintain a healthy economy. People could make a living from harvesting if they wanted too but you had to put in a lot of work with the risk of getting killed, the only thing that ruined the economy later on was duping exploits (for both money and items) and when they introduced the external trading system for real money, then finally the cash shop but early on, this crafting and harvesting system worked extremely well and was one of the best I have ever used.

lvl 11-20 = Tier 2 (low-level surrounding area's - relatively harmless with some danger)

I think a similar system to VG's would be a very good fit for a game like Pantheon, I would be interested to hear other ex-VG players opinions whom crafted and harvested extensively with that system to see whether they agree or not.

So basically what you want is a carbon copy of World of Warcraft harvesting?  No thanks.  This is identical to the way World of Warcraft did it, the only difference possibly being the level of danger associated with harvesting amongst mobs that don't leash (assuming mobs won't leash in Pantheon.. they better not)

All the games I have played that have had node harvesting have made harvesting nothing but a mini game in which players can bot to prosperity.

I am against standard node harvesting, I am not totally against nodes altogether, I just think they should be ultra rare and found only in the most dangerous locations, and an emphasis set on making it impossible to loot them without having killed something.

This post was edited by Rallyd at November 3, 2015 9:23 AM PST
    • 429 posts
    November 3, 2015 3:05 PM PST

Kilsin said:

I agree that Vanguard had one of the best crafting systems I've ever tried , I personally feel the harvesting was nothing more then : break the rotation code and get that ultra rare .  it was a joke harvesting vielthread and spawning the rare plant .

I personally would rather have a random roll against myself every time I harvest a node giving me a chance at a rare/ultra rare then find a group of plants go clockwise harvesting them then run hundred yards north  harvest counterclockwise and instantly have a ultra rare node spawn .( even soloing it was fairly easy ) . As long as I can gather/harvest I'm okay  , eventually I will break the code :) 

This post was edited by Shea at November 3, 2015 3:26 PM PST
    • 9115 posts
    November 3, 2015 4:21 PM PST

Rallyd said:

Kilsin said:

So basically what you want is a carbon copy of World of Warcraft harvesting?  No thanks.  This is identical to the way World of Warcraft did it, the only difference possibly being the level of danger associated with harvesting amongst mobs that don't leash (assuming mobs won't leash in Pantheon.. they better not)

All the games I have played that have had node harvesting have made harvesting nothing but a mini game in which players can bot to prosperity.

I am against standard node harvesting, I am not totally against nodes altogether, I just think they should be ultra rare and found only in the most dangerous locations, and an emphasis set on making it impossible to loot them without having killed something.

I have never played World of Warcraft so I am not sure what system they have. I am using an example of a system that worked very well for VG, a game I played for 7 years as I think this is a good starting point to build on for Pantheon.

• 9115 posts
    November 3, 2015 4:33 PM PST

Dullahan said:

I am referring to the same. The rares and ultra rares made extremely good items, which I thought were too powerful for something that could be done by 1 player, regardless of how long it took to harvest. That system might have worked for a game where crafting was the primary source of armor, but when it produces items that were basically better than most dropped gear outside of a few rares and raid items, I personally felt it trivialized gear progression.

If I was to take anything from VG crafting and harvesting it would be the group node gathering and the actual item creation process. If a single player can harvest the ore, there should be other rare components that come from harder mobs requiring a group.

Simply put, regardless of time, I just don't think a single player should ever be capable of gathering the materials for a complete set of gear. Vanguard allowed that, even in the start.

Crafting items were rarely better than named, quested or raided items Dullah, which was one of our biggest complaints (most crafters wanted items on par with named but just under the level of raided). I am not sure how many crafters you had mate but never could a crafter make a whole outfit and be OP in any instance, to gather the required mats and successfully craft them would not only take days/weeks/months but also you would then need to be 5-10 levels above the required crafting level, have the required faction in certain instances and the required recipes to have the best chance of successfully making the item without the chance of failing and losing all of your hard-earned mats.

I have to strongly disagree with not allowing a single player to gather the mats and create items themselves, as many people like to craft and make an entire career out of it instead of adventure and as I pointed out above, VG handled this well.

• 9115 posts
    November 3, 2015 4:35 PM PST

Shea said:

Kilsin said:

I agree that Vanguard had one of the best crafting systems I've ever tried , I personally feel the harvesting was nothing more then : break the rotation code and get that ultra rare .  it was a joke harvesting vielthread and spawning the rare plant .

I personally would rather have a random roll against myself every time I harvest a node giving me a chance at a rare/ultra rare then find a group of plants go clockwise harvesting them then run hundred yards north  harvest counterclockwise and instantly have a ultra rare node spawn .( even soloing it was fairly easy ) . As long as I can gather/harvest I'm okay  , eventually I will break the code :) 

It was painfully slow to get URs, I agree and I think that's what made them so valuable, but it definitely could be tweaked to better suit Pantheon, I wasn't suggesting a copy/paste from VG to Pantheon, just using that system as a solid platform to build on as I believe it worked well.

• 429 posts
    November 3, 2015 6:00 PM PST
    We both agree VG's systems for the most part worked well , can't wait to see what Pantheon has in store for us :)
    • 154 posts
    November 3, 2015 6:41 PM PST

Im pretty much a crafting fiend in every single mmo I ever adventure in, and tbh, I'm Realllllly liking Final Fantasy 14's crafting system.

• 1434 posts
    November 3, 2015 10:23 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Dullahan said:

Crafting items were rarely better than named, quested or raided items Dullah, which was one of our biggest complaints (most crafters wanted items on par with named but just under the level of raided). I am not sure how many crafters you had mate but never could a crafter make a whole outfit and be OP in any instance, to gather the required mats and successfully craft them would not only take days/weeks/months but also you would then need to be 5-10 levels above the required crafting level, have the required faction in certain instances and the required recipes to have the best chance of successfully making the item without the chance of failing and losing all of your hard-earned mats.

I have to strongly disagree with not allowing a single player to gather the mats and create items themselves, as many people like to craft and make an entire career out of it instead of adventure and as I pointed out above, VG handled this well.

In the first year of VG, my entire guild wore almost all UR crafted gear + maybe the BP from the swamp and lucent jewelry. At the time, that was best in slot. There were very few items I ever used that weren't crafted. On my disciple, I used a parry sword from Rahz Inkur that that was about it.

Not that I think there is anything wrong with crafted items being good, even better than dropped gear. I just didn't didn't think the risk vs reward was there.

• 5 posts
    November 9, 2015 3:38 PM PST

I have to agree with Kils on everything said here. The crafting/harvesting sphere's weren't perfectly balanced in the begining but they eventually got it right. It took a lot of hours of questing and gathering and completing work orders to be a capable crafter. Many mobs were harvestable (i.e. Treants provided lumber and Golems stone.)

I never noticed any patterns to get rare mats from nodes in VG. It seemed like a random roll as far as I could tell. I was a founder and I don't ever recall crafted gear being more powerful than rare dungeon drops. It was however just powerful enough to make it worthwhile.

Crafting/harvesting in Vanguard wasn't something you dabbled in. You had the players that didn't care for it and just did adventuring, and those that recognized it as the other half of the game that it was.

• 112 posts
    November 17, 2015 6:40 PM PST

Yes please. I am a big fan of crafting and enjoy being part of a crafting guild. I did enjoy VG in so far as it seemed to respect crafting as a unique playstyle as opposed to other games that treat crafting as a mere side project. 

I would like to see a wide range of harvestables from both mobs and nodes across all Tiers which would allow for a variety of recipes. Not merely just common, rare, etc. but class, race, faction specific options to a crafted item. 

Leveling up crafting and harvesting should be balanced enough to dissuade the casual player from reaching higher tiers, but not so difficult that the crafter outlevels everything he makes. Crafting needs to be a vital part of the economy providing a tiers of item that close the gaps between, drops, quests, and raid. 

It also needs ot have a level of interdependence so crafters do not become isolated from each other or useless to a certain class.

• 84 posts
    November 24, 2015 11:17 AM PST

I found both the Vanguard and Everquest 2 harvestable nodes to be too simplistic and ultimately boring.  Just having a common, uncommon, rare, and/or ultra rare is just not diverse enough of a system to make harvesting both insteresting and profitable.  I am also opposed to having defined tiers of resources as the game world should not be linear.  Hopefully Pantheon will have thousands of resources which can be used to craft items.  The very best resource system that I have ever played in an MMO was Star Wars Galaxies.

• 86 posts
    November 24, 2015 1:08 PM PST

Trustar said:

I found both the Vanguard and Everquest 2 harvestable nodes to be too simplistic and ultimately boring.  Just having a common, uncommon, rare, and/or ultra rare is just not diverse enough of a system to make harvesting both insteresting and profitable.  I am also opposed to having defined tiers of resources as the game world should not be linear.  Hopefully Pantheon will have thousands of resources which can be used to craft items.  The very best resource system that I have ever played in an MMO was Star Wars Galaxies.

I agree with this. I actually kind of enjoyed FFXIV's way of doing nodes: each node has 4 or 5 (sometimes 6) items you can harvest from the node, and each has a certain percentage chance to "drop" depending on your harvesting gear level/stats. Would be nice to see nodes having multiple drops that a player can choose to collect (IE: Collect leaves, collect twigs, collect roots, etc)

• 668 posts
    November 24, 2015 3:04 PM PST

Taledar said:

Im pretty much a crafting fiend in every single mmo I ever adventure in, and tbh, I'm Realllllly liking Final Fantasy 14's crafting system.

Do you mind describing how FF 14's system works?

• 86 posts
    November 24, 2015 9:54 PM PST

Not at all @Pyye.

Essentially, FFXIV has 3 "gathering" classes. I'll describe botanist/miner here, since they're similar (Fisher....is just odd). What happens is when you switch to the class, you get a new ability which allows you to see "nodes" in the world. Varying nodes have different levels (Level 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60), and within the nodes, there's some variance as well (Level 50 and 60 nodes have "special" nodes which proc at a special server-side time known as "Eorzean" time [ie: in game time]). As a botanist/miner, you would select which node to harvest from (A level 21 botanist can harvest from 25, but probably doesn't have enough stats for 30, so on and so forth). When you walk up to a node and click it, it opens a selection like this. Each item on the node has differing chances to drop according to your stats. Additionally, an HQ ("High Quality") item also has the ability to drop when selecting on what you wish to harvest from the node. This video shows you essentially how it works today, even though this was the alpha version of the A Realm Reborn. Gathering also comes with the ability to use skills on the nodes themselves, for things such as "this node provides double the amount of items gathered" or "your perception has increased" (Chance of HQ item up).

Hope that helps.

• 1 posts
    December 9, 2015 8:36 AM PST

I really liked the the VG harvesting system - as I recall you'd sometimes get bonus rare/or UR if you were harvesting off of a normal node.  Or maybe that was the dusts? Been too long...

The group harvesting aspect was great imo, since it encouraged players to level up all mini-spheres of harvesting.  

Also, the raid harvesting was totally awesome! The challenge of creating raid gear via crafting skills always had me sweating... esp when I was making a weapon or something for a guildie with all kind of expensive materials at risk.

• 133 posts
    December 21, 2015 1:52 PM PST

Dullahan said:

Kilsin said:

Dullahan said:

In the first year of VG, my entire guild wore almost all UR crafted gear + maybe the BP from the swamp and lucent jewelry. At the time, that was best in slot. There were very few items I ever used that weren't crafted. On my disciple, I used a parry sword from Rahz Inkur that that was about it.

Not that I think there is anything wrong with crafted items being good, even better than dropped gear. I just didn't didn't think the risk vs reward was there.

Thats because your missing something entirely, time invested = reward.

Anyone can out level a kill, then go kill that mobA and get the drop and twink it down.  right?  Good we have established time = reward

Now a crafter has to level up about the same levels above the item in question they want to make, in that time build their skill in harvesting, get the URs and the dusts for all those builds, the make it.  Also take into account generally it was not as easy as to just sneak in get a few nodes and walk away with URs, as a player of VG for 7 years and ALL six crafters through genesis. 

However at Tier 5 there was one zone exception, and yeah if you advocating to not have that?  I am there.

So how does it differ than farming items?  I mean it seems to me, to be the same thing.

MMO proof of concept, risk vs reward or time = reward.

Unless your also advocating trivial loot code?  Your arguement goes to general practice.

• 133 posts
    December 21, 2015 1:55 PM PST

Yes Kilsin I am back, expect this forum to fill up with posts over the next few days.

• 9115 posts
    December 21, 2015 3:41 PM PST

Exmortis said:

Yes Kilsin I am back, expect this forum to fill up with posts over the next few days.

Welcome back Ex, good to see you man.

The crafting sub-forum has been pretty quiet as there is not a lot of information to discuss right now but hopefully that will change in the not to distant future :)

• 75 posts
    December 21, 2015 9:14 PM PST

Thanks for all the discussion, and i have greatly enjoyed people's ideas of how accesible nodes should be and the further discussion about crafting benefit.

however, the initial point of my thread was aimed solely at the basis of how harvestable nodes should appear in game.  It is one of those things that irritates me greatly when it is done poorly.

I am interested in other people's views on the graphical/appearance side of harvesting?

Do you care what the ore 'nodes' look like? should they be depicted as veins aka skyrim or different coloured globs depicting different ores aka many mmos?

SHould there be a vast array of harvestable plants? should plants be abled to be harvested for particualr items or solely just a single plant?

Should harvestable plant parts be used distinctly by various crafting skills?