Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

dungeon masters

• 27 posts
    October 27, 2015 1:14 PM PDT

Imagine if a player could DM a dungeon in Pantheon while other players are progressing through it?  Now you have a different mode of gameplay available for those who care to DM.  It would also enhance the conventional progression experience because you would be playing against an intelligent DM and not some AI script.

But how to incorporate the DM functionality in a way that makes sense with the lore?  Perhaps create a lore path for becoming a demigod which includes the ability to DM.  If you are a good DM then more players will attend your content, so basically your DM performance earns you followers which asserts your status as a demigod.

Just spitballin...

• 72 posts
    October 27, 2015 1:58 PM PDT

I think this is a very interesting idea in theory!

I'm just simply worried about how hard it would be to balance when it came to reality... How would you prevent a dungeon master from simply throwing the event encounter and awarding loot easily to their friends? (Even extensive methodology to avoid this can be circumvented) Not to mention the fear of hardware differences. What if the DM crashes mid encounter? Is the event cancelled? Does the AI kick in and take over? Would it be fair to award the same loot if one DM was good while another DM was great? (Thus making the entire encounter much more difficult).

Just some food for thought :D

• 511 posts
    October 27, 2015 3:04 PM PDT

Furor said:

I think this is a very interesting idea in theory!

I'm just simply worried about how hard it would be to balance when it came to reality... How would you prevent a dungeon master from simply throwing the event encounter and awarding loot easily to their friends? (Even extensive methodology to avoid this can be circumvented) Not to mention the fear of hardware differences. What if the DM crashes mid encounter? Is the event cancelled? Does the AI kick in and take over? Would it be fair to award the same loot if one DM was good while another DM was great? (Thus making the entire encounter much more difficult).

Just some food for thought :D

This is pretty much what happened in NWO with their DM tools. They made loot pinata maps and XP buffed maps and only told their friends about them...

• 2138 posts
    October 28, 2015 8:22 AM PDT

I think the GM's and maybe advanced GG's (I am asuming GM does not mean general manager, but Game Master, and GG meaning Game Guides) should be the ones that are allowed to DM dungeons, at their whim for their behind-the-scenes meta-gaming fun.

But I understand where you are coming from, and maybe in a PvP environment that would be cool-ish? like Guild X broadcasts an event where guild X members are the baddies, interspersed with some mindless (you know what I mean) NPC's, with like a group as boss at the end?

• 610 posts
    October 28, 2015 10:49 AM PDT

I would rather not have player ran anything

leave the game in the hands of the devs, its their game we just play it

to much chance of cheating and abuse with systems like that

not interested personally