Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Guesstimated Recommended System Requirements

• 453 posts
    October 1, 2015 12:06 PM PDT

It may be too early in the game creation process to ask this, but do any of you devs have a guesstimation what the recommended system requirements will be to play Pantheon ROTF? Thanks :)

P.S. Will there be a slider like there was in Vanguard where you can play the game a different quality levels? Perhaps it's to early to ask this question as well ...

• 781 posts
    October 1, 2015 1:40 PM PDT

Ha, that's funny i was just talking to my room mate about the same thing.  I am thinking I might have to upgrade my video card being i like to play on max settings.  Running GTX 650 Ti Boost at the moment.  AMD FX 8320 8-core@3500mhz  16g Ram  Which handles pretty well any game out right now

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    October 1, 2015 2:03 PM PDT

I made a big mistake with VG, always pushing the envelope, always trying to take advantage of the latest tech, etc.  And then when we had to launch early, we launched an un-optimized game even the most powerful of machines couldn't handle.  Now take vanilla WoW, on the other hand -- it was polished and ran great on just about any machine at launch.  

Of course, I can't announce the official specs for Pantheon -- far too early for that -- but I can say this:

1. The machine I currently program the game with and playtest the game with I bought for around $1k, and that was well over a year ago:

i5-4400 3.10 ghz

16 gigs 800mhz DDR3 (I think 8 gigs will be fine -- 16 gigs is better for me running all of the tools, Unity, Visual Studio, SQL manager, etc.)

GTX 960 with 2 gigs video ram (I do think you'll want/need 2 gigs as we're using high rez textures and multiple layers of textures -- at least on the 'fantastic' setting -- see below)

I also have another, older machine with a 750TI.

2. Both of these machines run our current build at 30+ FPS.  

3. I plan on keeping this machine as my dev-pc as long as possible, to make sure we don't somehow get to a point where you need an expensive machine to run the game.

4. Our lead programmer, Daniel Krenn, is very meticulous and wise.  At least once a month we stop and do optimizations.  This is in stark contrast to previous projects I've headed, and I'm a huge believer that this is the way to go.  

5. There will indeed be a 'slider' (already is -- is part of Unity) that allows the user to select between 'fastest' and 'fantastic' visuals.  We are running on fantastic and making sure the game runs (and looks, of course) great on that highest setting.  

This post was edited by Aradune at October 3, 2015 2:12 AM PDT
    • 378 posts
    October 1, 2015 3:17 PM PDT

Sounds good, my VR speced machine with GTX 970 SLI should hold up fine then. 

Now i just need nvidia to pull the finger out and get gameworks working correctly for CV1 dual screen ;)

• 384 posts
    October 1, 2015 5:14 PM PDT
    Aradune said:

I made a big mistake with VG, always pushing the envelope, always trying to take advantage of the latest tech, etc.  And then when we had to launch early, we launched an un-optimized game even the most powerful of machines couldn't handle.  Now take vanilla WoW, on the other hand -- it was polished and ran great on just about any machine at launch.  

Of course, I can't announce the official specs for Pantheon -- far too early for that -- but I can say this:

1. The machine I currently program the game with and playtest the game with I bought for around $1k, and that was well over a year ago:

i5-4400 3.10 ghz

16 gigs 800mhz DDR3 (I think 8 gigs will be fine -- 16 gigs is better for me running all of the tools, Unity, Visual Studio, SQL manager, etc.)

GTX 960 with 2 gigs video ram (I do think you'll want/need 2 gigs as we're using high rez textures and multiple layers of textures -- at least on the 'fantastic' setting -- see below)

3. I plan on keeping this machine as my dev-pc as long as possible, to make sure we don't somehow get to a point where you need an expensive machine to run the game.

4. Our lead programmer, Daniel Krenn, is very meticulous and wise.  At least once a month we stop and do optimizations.  This is in stark contrast to previous projects I've headed, and I'm a huge believer that this is the way to go.  

5. There will indeed be a 'slider' (already is -- is part of Unity) that allows the user to select between 'fastest' and 'fantastic' visuals.  We are running on fantastic and making sure the game runs (and looks, of course) great on that highest setting.  

No no no.... This was my excuse I was giving my wife to build a new computer!  "Honey, I HAVE to have something I can run Pantheon on!"  

Now you're telling me that's not gonna work... ok fine, but don't tell her. As far as she knows I'm gonna need something MUCH newer and faster than what I have now!  :)

• 1281 posts
    October 1, 2015 7:13 PM PDT

I think part of the problem is also the mentality of the gaming community. People with expensive rigs want to buy a game, move the sliders all the way to the right, and get 60+ FPS.

I don't have a problem with games shipping that have graphics better than modern hardware can run on to give room to grow. However, I do think that if you turn the sliders down you need to be able to run the game and I think that's where VG failed. Even with low sliders the game did not play well.

The lesson learned is that if a game does ship with settings that may be higher than what current hardware can handle, either force players to check a box or hit "OK" on a popup explaining what they are doing is experimental. Another option is have settings unlockable in a game config file so that those who know what they are doing understand they are unlocking graphics that are not intended to be used.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at October 2, 2015 1:15 AM PDT
    • 671 posts
    October 1, 2015 9:34 PM PDT
    Aradune said:

i5-4400 3.10 ghz

When Pantheon enters beta (circa 2017), a $900 PC will run this beautifully on a 64bit Win10 environment with 8G machine and 2~4g Vram. I just hope Pantheon pushes 4k content too..

This post was edited by Hieromonk at November 21, 2015 3:09 PM PST
    • 557 posts
    October 2, 2015 12:16 AM PDT

Anyone doing early testing on Mac gear?

• 453 posts
    October 2, 2015 1:16 AM PDT

Thanks for the helpful response Aradune :)

• 511 posts
    October 2, 2015 1:03 PM PDT

I just hope this game runs equally as good on AMD systems, do you have anyone on the Dev team running the game on AMD? If not I could always download and join you all to test of course :D

• 9115 posts
    October 2, 2015 5:53 PM PDT

Haha!

I am not sure if anyone is running it on a Mac yet, but we definitely have team members using AMD, our Lead World Builder John (Monty) was using an AMD card for while, not sure if he still is or not but we will try and give everyone a great experience no matter what card or platform you play on ;)

• 20 posts
    October 3, 2015 1:39 AM PDT

It really sounds like the team is doing an awesome job in constantly testing and optimizing what's created. Very thorough. I love it.

If you need bandwith outside of the US for testing/development purposes, i sit on a 100mbit/100mbit fiber-optic connection at home which is being used for little else but the occasional Netflix streaming. Have a couple of computers i could hook up to help with whatever's needful. (i really know zero about the technical development of games, sooo might sound insane.)

Cheers!

• 160 posts
    October 3, 2015 7:09 AM PDT

Will there be a way for people with rigs intended for 4k gaming to make use of them? I mean, will there be options for really high resolution textures, optional high-poly-count models, something worth playing at 4096x2160 (my current monitor :) ) ?

• 12 posts
    November 20, 2015 7:01 PM PST

I am also interested in Mac.

I play EQ on a bootcamped iMac and will make due as I always do.... However I would like to be another person to speak up and say there are some out there who have Mac's as a primary machine

• 120 posts
    November 21, 2015 8:18 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Haha!

I am not sure if anyone is running it on a Mac yet, but we definitely have team members using AMD, our Lead World Builder John (Monty) was using an AMD card for while, not sure if he still is or not but we will try and give everyone a great experience no matter what card or platform you play on ;)

I always run AMD, maybe I'm just a cheap bastard but I've never seen enough performacne differance to justify paying twice the price for the Intel. Once testing starts I'll be glad to let you know how the game runs on both my A6 laptop and a FX 4300 desktop. As a rule I've never seen any problems running gamess on AMD vs Intel. 

• 9115 posts
    November 21, 2015 4:34 PM PST

Castwell said:

Kilsin said:

Haha!

I always run AMD, maybe I'm just a cheap bastard but I've never seen enough performacne differance to justify paying twice the price for the Intel. Once testing starts I'll be glad to let you know how the game runs on both my A6 laptop and a FX 4300 desktop. As a rule I've never seen any problems running gamess on AMD vs Intel. 

I take it you mean AMD vs Nvidia?

I agree, AMD have some good cards, I really liked the 5770 back in the day even though the majority of my cards have been Nvidia mostly due to heat and driver issues, I just don't seem to have the same issues with Nvidia cards, but I have nothing against AMD at all :)

• 70 posts
    November 22, 2015 3:29 PM PST

Thank you Aradune.

Looks like my rig will work fine, as is. This dosn't mean I still don't want a new vid. card :)

• 120 posts
    November 22, 2015 7:39 PM PST
    I have to agree with you on the AMD/ATI graphics cards. For a cpu, I go with AMD over Intel.
    • 4 posts
    August 5, 2019 11:08 AM PDT

I've been looking for info like this, figured I would necro this thread from back in the day.

Q: Are there any updates on the type of hardware Pantheon is being developed on now that we're in 2019?

I'm running a fairly beefy gaming PC:
    GTX 980ti
    32 GB of DDR4
    6th Gen i7 6700k
    144hz IPS - Gsync 1440p - monitor

Just curious if there might be some more accurate expectations now that there has been so much work and progress made on the game. It's looking fantastic, which means I want to have a system strong enough to run it at full potential visually.

1440p @ 60+ frames

I'm considering upgrading from my 980ti sooner than later, and I'm guessing that card should be able to run the game just fine, but just looking for any further info that would tell me to wait longer to buy a  newer graphics card or not.

Cheers!

This post was edited by trexid at August 5, 2019 11:11 AM PDT
    • 413 posts
    August 5, 2019 3:47 PM PDT

I was looking for an excuse to bring this up.  The M.2 SSD screams

Just built my budget PC of the future,  and move over my old GPU GTX 1050 Ti for now. 

https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-meshify-c-dark-tg-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352072?Item=N82E16811352072

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor

ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming AMD Ryzen 2 AM4 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 ATX Motherboard

DEEPCOOL Castle 360EX, Addressable RGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD

Corsair RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3466 (PC4-27700) C16 Desktop Memory

Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX 750W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Full Modular 120mm FDB Fan

This post was edited by Zevlin at August 5, 2019 3:48 PM PDT
    • 1714 posts
    August 5, 2019 5:43 PM PDT

About tree fiddy

• 438 posts
    August 5, 2019 6:02 PM PDT
    Sorry Keno you’re making me snort my beer reading that. You owe me pal.
    • 1714 posts
    August 5, 2019 8:18 PM PDT

Mordecai said: Sorry Keno you’re making me snort my beer reading that. You owe me pal.

*bow*

pm me your addy and I'll send some beer

• 801 posts
    August 5, 2019 8:39 PM PDT

I recommend, not just for this game but for all builds. I have been involved business wise for 30 yrs in computers, IT business support and consumer support for a very long time. So what i suggest is a generlized overview of what i have come to know with gaming.

i5-i9 quad core, 16gb ram is a must today, ssd for loading games faster, videocards 1060ti or better. Aim towards the 2080 cards if you can.

Amd Ryzen 7's are really good too btw.

60hz montior or better. 144-280hz are good for fps games on the competitive levels.

Dont budget build too low, your better saving up for a good tower.

Remember you want it to last 5 years...

& most of all dont starve the tower with a crappy power supply, and cooling system. Research it.

I only say this as a builder, and what i come to know pro players, and streamers.

• 801 posts
    August 5, 2019 8:41 PM PDT

Caine said:

I was looking for an excuse to bring this up.  The M.2 SSD screams

Just built my budget PC of the future,  and move over my old GPU GTX 1050 Ti for now. 

https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-meshify-c-dark-tg-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352072?Item=N82E16811352072

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor

ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming AMD Ryzen 2 AM4 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 ATX Motherboard

DEEPCOOL Castle 360EX, Addressable RGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD

Corsair RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3466 (PC4-27700) C16 Desktop Memory

Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX 750W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Full Modular 120mm FDB Fan

Good build actually...