Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Character “Monty Halling”

• 5 posts
    September 6, 2015 2:07 PM PDT

Character “Monty Halling”

That is a term I learned while playing paper D&D. Characters basically gaining almost everything. It reduces the amount of sacrifice a player invests into a character and thereby reduces the appreciation of the game. I believe we need to minimize the impact of deep pocket players that can “buy success”. Almost every time a game stoops to such money grabbing tactics it marks the gravestone of the game because the end is near. I would rather pay to play than to have the big push to sell everything and let people become powerful in two weeks, with gear better than the endgame gear!

Two examples: The first, as a teen I saw other students get cars that the parents paid for and within a few months the vehicles were trashed and full of dents. Yet, the students that had personally invested in their own vehicle was still as nice or nicer than the day it was purchased. The second example would have to be a reference to Vanguard when they used a portal system and people had to quest to get mounts. The game world was vast and it took forever to cross. Having a ship was very important because no character could use the portal to an area that was not unlocked. I remember me and my family (4 of us) playing Friday, Saturday and part of Sunday unlocking portals. Oh how I hated the portal in Thestra in the plains of anguish where all the undead were. They would swarm and kill me so it took forever to get that one unlocked and their agro range was huge. However, later they opened all portals to any level at any time. They gave flying mounts to anyone that wanted to pay for one and later had NPCs drop mounts. The world I knew as huge became small and the new people had no respect for the game, interaction, the richness of the world or anything I held dear.

PLEASE, don’t “Monty Hall”

PS

My favorite character in D&D started with a dagger and breechcloth. He became my most powerful character ever and I loved him.

Rin

• 318 posts
    September 6, 2015 4:47 PM PDT

As far as cash shops go, I believe they have stated pretty clearly that those aren't in the business model. Originally after the kickstarter, they had a few cash shop type items like an illusion clicky, but since then, they've discontinued those and emphasized that they are not planning to use cash shops as part of the business model. So hopefully, that helps to ease some of your concern.

As far as portals and fast travel go, you should listen to some of the interviews Brad and the other team members have done. I believe it is pretty apparent that they know the importance of limiting fast travel and how, through fast travel, the size of the game world can be diminished.

This post was edited by Wellspring at September 6, 2015 5:22 PM PDT
    • 5 posts
    September 6, 2015 5:32 PM PDT

That is great! I have been reading some and trying to get up to speed on everything. I am so excited where this is going!

Rin