Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What is your favorite role?

• 9115 posts
    September 3, 2015 2:51 AM PDT

What is your favorite role to play in a group or raid, and which Archetype is more your style and why?

http://on.fb.me/1UoHmAu

• 81 posts
    September 3, 2015 5:11 AM PDT

That is a tough one since I have played so many roles over the years. I have never been a healer or at least a good healer in modern games I never really tried it back in EQ. With that said I would have to say Utility/CC be it chanter or monk. It is fun to set and control the tempo of the group be it pulling or CCing the chaos that is brought back to camp. I have tanked in many games since EQ mostly as it was a guild need to have a tank that would be there all the time. I do enjoy tanking but I see myself reverting back to a support class.

• 9115 posts
    September 3, 2015 6:15 AM PDT
    Raroic said:

That is a tough one since I have played so many roles over the years. I have never been a healer or at least a good healer in modern games I never really tried it back in EQ. With that said I would have to say Utility/CC be it chanter or monk. It is fun to set and control the tempo of the group be it pulling or CCing the chaos that is brought back to camp. I have tanked in many games since EQ mostly as it was a guild need to have a tank that would be there all the time. I do enjoy tanking but I see myself reverting back to a support class.

Nice Raroic, CC is fun, I loved playing my Psi in VG :)

• 180 posts
    September 3, 2015 7:57 AM PDT

I prefer DPS but also like the idea of playing a class that helps everybody in a group or raid.

• 62 posts
    September 3, 2015 8:38 AM PDT

I like healing and buffing. I'm very healer/support ready. I love watching the health bars go down. I love casting my healing spells. I love being the "cool" healer who sticks around for hours and hours. The one people always ask to group with them because I'm just that awesome. ;) My OCD refuses to let my parties' health bars drop, even a sliver.

• 430 posts
    September 3, 2015 9:05 AM PDT
    I'd have to say a support/utility/healer/caster type . Does it answer your question ? Probably not :) original EQ shaman . Buffing players was fun , The utility the shaman had from the buffs to the slows to the heals , then add in our wolf . What more could anyone need ? Oh yeah the dots haha .
    • 384 posts
    September 3, 2015 9:06 AM PDT
    lol I wish I could answer this easily. If I could pick only one favorite I would have much fewer alts!

I would have to say a hybrid class either fighter with some spells (Shadow Knight) or archer with some spells. (Ranger) I like characters that have some flexibility and variety in different situations. That said I always play a healer at some point too and I'm thinking that'll be my main in Pantheon. At least that's what I'm thinking today, it's always subject to change. :) Oh! Lol and cc! Most played character in VG was a Raki Psionicist! Loved being him! And Really liked my Vulmane necro too! ****, Kilsin I dunno! Why'd you post such a hard question?!

And talking about it just makes me wanna play VG (even more than usual) :)
    This post was edited by Malsirian at September 3, 2015 4:26 PM PDT
    • 160 posts
    September 3, 2015 9:47 AM PDT

Hybrid tank (Shadowknight-type). Alternate between pulling, tanking, off-tanking, leading a raid, doing corpse runs/wipe recoveries.

Same for groups.

For myself... Scouting new zones. Getting into dangerous places. Exploration.

• 105 posts
    September 3, 2015 10:16 AM PDT

I'm with Malsirian on this--this is a hard question.  I've healed, utilitied, and dps'd and enjoyed all of them.  

What I am sure of is that GNOMES are where it's at because they make the best everythings. :P

• 384 posts
    September 3, 2015 10:28 AM PDT
    Marilee said:

What I am sure of is that GNOMES are where it's at because they make the best everythings. :P

All truth right there!!
    • 74 posts
    September 3, 2015 1:13 PM PDT

DPS caster is my favorite role and tends to fit my style more. I've always enjoyed walking the fine line of high/burst DPS vs peeling (without use of threat meters). It took time to learn what my character was capable of, trust in my tanks and what their aggro tends to be, etc.

It's a fun solo archetype for me as well since most DPS casters in games have some minor CC levels so it's fun to "mini juggle" a BAF pull switching targets to keep something rooted then switching back to primary target for damage. Not at the Enchanter level, but it's enough like juggling chainsaws where one slip can still mean *squish* .

As far as DPS caster build type, I tend to play more DD builds over DoT builds (DoT style can be fun as I played a DoT Necro in GW2 and numbers everywhere was amusing).

This post was edited by spyderoptik at September 3, 2015 4:27 PM PDT
    • 85 posts
    September 3, 2015 1:50 PM PDT

I think it definitely depends. I love caster dps, but occasionally depending on the game, I will potentially melee dps or heal. Warhammer Online I played a disciple of kaine and loved it due to the melee heals it had which was quite enjoyable.

• 308 posts
    September 3, 2015 2:01 PM PDT

I like Healing and i like Tanking, but healing tends to be my favorite Role.

• 5 posts
    September 3, 2015 3:51 PM PDT

I ranger DPS'ed in EQ, Pally/Druid healed in WoW and Ranger DPS'ed / PSI supported in VG. By far the PSI in VG was the most fun class I've ever played. Whether solo or in a group, PSI was awesome!!

I am looking forward to the cleric and enchanter roles in PROTF

• 9115 posts
    September 3, 2015 4:28 PM PDT

Nice answers guys, I see a few cool classes in there and it's awesome to see the VG Psi mentioned a few times! That was a fun class :)

• 208 posts
    September 3, 2015 7:42 PM PDT

I have always loved a melee's approach to games.  My first toon was a Monk in EQ and I loved him.  Still my favorite character to play to this day but I have evolved over time and I have come to realize that I enjoy being the tank for a raid/group far more than I do the puller/dps.  as a tank it is my job to keep the aggression focused on me while the others do their thing.  I have come to to take great pride and responsibility in being a good tank.  I try my best not to let a group or a raid mate die but alas it does happen especially with those overzealous spellslingers and those Rogues that just don't seem to understand the concept of all out dps does not always mean that they will survive.  However, if a cleric dies I am NOT doing my job good enough because as awesome as everyone's class is I will admit that if there were no clerics then everything else would not be as much fun especially when that uber damage discipline or spell critical hits and the mob flattens you and you have to rearn all that xp because there is no way to rez...

• 578 posts
    September 3, 2015 8:17 PM PDT

My most favorite role is pulling. There is a thrill when a game utilizes pulling well. You enter a dungeon or castle with your friends for the very first time and you get to be the first one to explore the area, the first one to get to experience the amazing art and architecture, and the first one to see the nasty inhabitants you are about to face off with. It's a pretty sweet gig.

Group members will also remember someone who can pull well, someone who can keep up a fast pace of pulls safely. Which is just icing on the cake when they remember your name.

• 724 posts
    September 3, 2015 11:35 PM PDT

I've mostly played ranged dps, healing and support. Magician in EQ, Disciple in VG were my main characters. Recently I've tried out classes in EQ that I never played back then (rogue, necro, shaman, enchanter). Must say I'm very much enjoying the enchanter playstyle now, and could imagine playing that role (control) in Pantheon if it had such a class. For other roles, I tried tanking and melee dps, and found I also liked them for small grouping, but wouldn't consider them as main roles for me.

• 318 posts
    September 4, 2015 4:53 AM PDT

I enjoy playing a lot of different roles, so it's hard to just choose one.

But the class role that I typically play as my main character is Ranged DPS in the form of a Ranger or closest equivalent. I think it's the idea of being well rounded and self-sufficient that I gravitate towards. In most MMOs rangers can track, forage, heal slightly, tank slightly, buff slightly, wield most weapons, wear heavier armor than casters, solo to an extent, and group dps.  But the one thing they can't do is rez ** insert EQ ranger joke here **.

• VR Staff
    • 102 posts
    September 4, 2015 6:15 AM PDT
    Dps, ranged or melee for me. I would love a healing role but have learned over the years, I'm just not good at it. I envy those who are as it takes a lot of patience and it's a high pressure role keeping everyone else safe, imho. Those of you who are good at it don't get enough thanks from the rest of us. :)
    • 89 posts
    September 4, 2015 6:31 AM PDT

I like playing many classes if they are well designed. That said after playing VG and a PSI as my main I really enjoy CC. I  just don't like it when an entire zone or area are immune to all of my CC skills. That kind of kills the fun at that point. 

• 107 posts
    September 4, 2015 3:47 PM PDT

I enjoyed raid tanking but am painfully committed to Dreadknight as a class, so if DK isn't viable as Raid Tank, my role may have to change.......

• 85 posts
    September 5, 2015 12:06 AM PDT

I'm a healer at heart.  I can't stand to see people dying.  It hurts me.

However, if there are other adequate healers around I'm very happy to log onto a wizard or a sorc and dps the **** out of stuff..

This post was edited by Sylee at September 5, 2015 10:09 PM PDT
    • 781 posts
    September 5, 2015 1:59 AM PDT

Love the pet / dps class such as a necro or mage.  Like being able to run around with my own side kick and not have to worry about getting smoked!

• 311 posts
    September 5, 2015 6:39 AM PDT

Loved my VG Druid and DK. Bard was fun too.