Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Exploration restrictions?

• 384 posts
    July 29, 2015 7:19 AM PDT
    Zandil's thread about not having invisible walls and being as to reach anywhere we can see gave me an idea. Uh oh

Do y'all like the idea (I do) of having areas that are only accessible by certain races or classes but they would have the skills necessary to get others in? This has been used before in games I know, but would you like it in Pantheon?

For example, suppose an area can only be reached with a levitation spell so you would have to have a class that can cast it..... or somewhere you have to swim to but can't swim far enough without an underwater breathing spell.
    • 142 posts
    July 29, 2015 7:37 AM PDT

Sure.  EQ had this.

You couldnt get to Plane of Hate without the help of a Wizard.

You couldnt get into Veeshans Peak without a rogue.

Unique class abilities (lockpick, porting, etc.) add to the diversity and inter-dependency of the player community.

All good things. And provide the designers with unique ways of utilizing those abilities.

This post was edited by Homercles at July 29, 2015 11:02 AM PDT
    • 163 posts
    July 29, 2015 7:56 AM PDT

Utility and the need for it in these situations helps to keep classes relevant. I'm all for that.

While we're grazing by the topic, I'd also like to go on record stating that I'm a huge supporter of involved zone keying processes. VP and Vex Thall keys from EverQuest were among my most memorable and rewarding quests.

• 1778 posts
    July 29, 2015 9:02 AM PDT
    Yea Im definately on board with this. This gives people more of those minor sub roles Ive talked about before. Niche roles that give characters roles other than thier main CC, buffer , tank, etc.

And Mal might not have been referring to this but I also like gated content. Must do mission X before you can go to Y Town. Things like that. Not all the time mind you
    • 384 posts
    July 29, 2015 9:45 AM PDT
    Amsai said:
    And Mal might not have been referring to this but I also like gated content. Must do mission X before you can go to Y Town. Things like that. Not all the time mind you

Makes sense, similar idea. And yep, I like that too for some things. :)
    • 384 posts
    July 29, 2015 10:57 AM PDT
    Homercles said:

Unique class abilities (lockpick, porting, etc.) add to the diversity and inter-dependency of the player community.

All good things. And provide the designers with unique ways of utilizing those abilities.

Yeah! Exactly! I was also thinking about as a way to promote teamwork and interdependency. And you wouldn't necessarily have to limit it to one ability either. An area could utilize multiple abilities for entry or to continue progressing.
    • 409 posts
    July 29, 2015 12:20 PM PDT

Big fan of locked areas that require a quest, another class, some item, whatever. EQ had a bunch of them where you needed a wizard port, rogue lock pick, quested key, level req or just some really absurd objective out of your way, like learning the fight to get past Aaryonar, then a whole bunch of bad news, all so you could see the door to PoM.

Also big, huge, mega fan of zones like Kedge/SG, even with fubar z-axis issues. Better have the enduring breath item or bad news is coming your way eventually.

There should be stuff you can't get to at first, but someday, maybe....