Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Evacs : Good or Bad ?

• 1778 posts
    July 2, 2015 8:32 AM PDT
    Thats cool. Was just wondering what you do about dead people that are under a raid boss. Tractor beam was it in XI. Just got them away from aggro when raised. Just wanted to know the equivalent for a corpse run that ends with a body under a Dragon lol.
    • 120 posts
    July 2, 2015 9:22 AM PDT
    Amsai said:
    Thats cool. Was just wondering what you do about dead people that are under a raid boss. Tractor beam was it in XI. Just got them away from aggro when raised. Just wanted to know the equivalent for a corpse run that ends with a body under a Dragon lol.

That usually only required a real good monk or rogue to drag the corpse back to safety.
    • 1778 posts
    July 2, 2015 10:02 AM PDT
    Hmm..... is rogue looking even better to me 0.o? Yes I think so. Thanks for the answers. I know its slightly off topic but I considered it sort of related in the way its a kind of emergency measure like evac.
    • 91 posts
    July 3, 2015 1:45 PM PDT

IMHO- it adds more player choice. IF we have a system upon which death costs you (which I hope we will) you should have a system by which you can escape that as well.

SUGGESTIONS-  to keep it from ever getting to the " Y is so lucky they get an evac ability they don't lose xp because they can escape from death" I would make it so  the EVAC ability only works when in a group of 3 or more.

NO cast time

Reagent that can be bought or farmed.

Xan

• 120 posts
    July 3, 2015 2:23 PM PDT
    Xanier said:

IMHO- it adds more player choice. IF we have a system upon which death costs you (which I hope we will) you should have a system by which you can escape that as well.

SUGGESTIONS-  to keep it from ever getting to the " Y is so lucky they get an evac ability they don't lose xp because they can escape from death" I would make it so  the EVAC ability only works when in a group of 3 or more.

NO cast time

Xan

No cast time won't work as it goes against "Risk vs Reward". Having a cast time, a chance to be interrupted or leaving a party member behind are part of what makes that spell line balanced. As for a reagent... it is usually called mana.

I'm not a real fan of the whole reagent thing for spells. While not usually a problem later in the game, early on most player are going to be space challenged as to what they carry and I think at that point it penalizes a class that is forced to carry extra supplies as opposed to those that don't.

• 91 posts
    July 4, 2015 3:04 PM PDT
    Castwell said:
    Xanier said:

NO cast time

Xan

No cast time won't work as it goes against "Risk vs Reward". Having a cast time, a chance to be interrupted or leaving a party member behind are part of what makes that spell line balanced. As for a reagent... it is usually called mana.

I'm not a real fan of the whole reagent thing for spells. While not usually a problem later in the game, early on most player are going to be space challenged as to what they carry and I think at that point it penalizes a class that is forced to carry extra supplies as opposed to those that don't.

I suppose if ones view is that having a no cast time means removal of risk.  One could say that the encounter and nature of the encounter is risk enough. One could also say that the encounter is not risk enough. Guess it comes down to the view of the Dev's on what is satisfactory risk v reward.

Reagent- Reason I see it as important is, a strong ability should have a cost- One, like you, may say that cost is mana (assuming casters are the only one with this ability)  Or another, like me, says the cost comes from something other then the base energy points allotted a class (mana in casters case)  In the end I think we have the same arguments but just see them playing out differently. 

This post was edited by Xanier at July 4, 2015 3:06 PM PDT
    • 120 posts
    July 4, 2015 5:35 PM PDT

You could say that. Here's the thing though, I have played classes that had to carry reagents (pearls, peridots, coffins, tiny daggers) for things that were pretty much "Class Defining". Things like pets, ports or corpse summons / player summons, buffs. I also have played 1 with a 0 mana, instant cast evac, won't leave anyone and very fast, low mana ones ( max focus, all mana reducing, cast time reducing AAs ).

Feel free to disagree with me, but reagents always end up being a cost to the caster that most of the time no one wants to help offset. Whether that cost is time farming, cash to a vendor, reduced space in inventory to carry away loot (the stuff we all want so we can make money), it is still a cost and IMO, a penalty to that class.

Instant cast, zero mana evacs (or even if it did take mana) mean I (or my group) can basically attempt anything with no fear of dieing and believe me, I have used them exactly that way.