Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Non-linear gear progression please.

• 999 posts
    August 15, 2015 3:03 PM PDT
    Celandor said:

If I'm a ninja and I give my next door neighbour my favourite katana, that doesn't make him a ninja too.   OK so I'm not a ninja, but I am a wood worker and I think the same principles apply.   So let me take a stab at this.

I'm going to try to respond to several quotes in here (which I apologize in advance in my formatting is terrible), and I don't mean to directly attack you, but more give rebuttal to some of your points (so please don't take offense).

You wouldn't be as skillful, but plenty of blades are much sharper than another.  If I was using a dull butter knife versus a Kasumi knife and I tried to unskillfully stab someone and made contact, regardless of my skill level, the Kasumi knife would draw more blood.  The same principle applies for twinking.  And, in EQ, there were skill restrictions that were in place.  Prior to level 10 max damage was 20, prior to level 20, max damage was 40.  And there was another damage cap I think until approximately 40ish? until it was removed completely - but you didn't know it in Vanilla EQ as most weapons never reached that level of damage as short swords of ykesha etc. being 8/24 never came close.

In woodworking, if a novice were to purchase the most expensive hand tools, generally they wouldn't produce any better end results than if they equipped their shop at a local hardware store.  Generally a novice will muck up fine tools by using them incorrectly and only a skilled woodworker will appreciate the difference between a $10 set of chisels and a $200 set of chisels.  The craftsman will do more with the $10 chisels than the novice could ever dream of doing with the $200 set.

We're (or at least I) not talking about twinking crafters, a trade is something completely different.  Any one can swing a sword and if it's sharp enough and makes contact it will do damage.  This is an apples to oranges argument.  Creating something is completely different than destroying it.  I would agree, a craftsman is totally reliant on skill and the tool enhances that skill.  However, even with that, skill did still play a part in twinked combat in EQ.  If you tried to fight red con mobs even in twinked gear, you missed a lot as your skill level in comparison to the mob was much lower - so, in fact, twinking did make sense in that regard in EQ.

If a novice warrior takes his master's best sword and armor, there's not much more likelihood that he's going to be victorious in battle than if he had more modest gear.   On the other hand, you can pretty much guarantee the master is going to be ticked off with the condition of his blade after said fight and with the massive dents in his fine armor.   Bad novice!   Bad!

You can't make a generalized statement like this.  It may be untrue if that novice warrior was fighting a dragon, but if he was trying to kill a large rat, then most definitely better gear would help.  You could control twinking by controlling damage like EQ did behind the scenes, and, also by mobs skill levels.  To Rallyd's point earlier, it wasn't until large raw hp/regen items were introduced that twinking started really increasing the abilities of a level 1 character.  Also to Rallyd's point, you could control that by making regen and raw hp items stamina based (which in EQ, as you leveled, higher stamina gave more hps)  I.e. 200 stamina on a level 1 gave you very little, while at 50, it gave you significantly more.  I'd much rather introduce logical reasons that restrictions were in place rather than create artificial Level Required 50.

I believe that MMORPGs generally put too much emphasis on the gear and not enough emphasis on the associated skills.   Whether the items are magical or mundane, there should be significant caps on how much benefit can be achieved strictly from gear.   Vintage EQ did impose some restrictions, but in my opinion they were too easily overcome and unbalanced.

See above - the damage restrictions in EQ worked, it wasn't until level 1's ran around with Fungi tunics and +100 hp items that twinking started truly affecting gameplay.

We seem to have this sense of entitlement that if I have a level 50 warrior that my level 1 rogue should somehow have a significantly easier time leveling.   It's that mind set that causes people to tear through levels, largely ignoring game content, simply to get alt #6 to end game.  I think this is a huge part of what's broken in MMOs.

We disagree here, EQ was one of the few games that allowed twinking, and go to any board and EQ followers is still one of the few games where most everyone fondly remembers the glory days. And again, a generalized statement regarding twinks, twinks didn't always ignore content - especially in early EQ.  I leveled reguarly with all my characters.  People/twinks who were power leveled by Druids/Enchanters/etc. did as they were max level with no skills, but that is an entirely different argument which I would agree with - I never liked power levelers.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't be able to pass down equipment between characters, but do we really need another game where maxxed out chars are farming gear for level 1 toons?

If that's how a player obtains enjoyment from an MMO, why restrict it?  Either way, you're hurting someone's fun if the counterargument is well you should restrict it so everyone will have a chance at gear and those spots not be perma-camped.

If you're going to pass fine quality gear to novices, then the gear should take damage with use and it should have minimal stat improvements which will sway the outcome of a battle.   If I "over-twink" then I should be prepared to invest heavily in gear maintenance with minimal positive outcome.

This should only be in place if all equipment needed to be repaired.  It shouldn't be an artificial feature just to prevent twinking.

Wouldn't it be a lot more fun to do level appropriate content on each character we create?  If your answer to this last question is no, then I would suggest that the failure is in the game design and not with the player.   Essentially you're saying the game lacks replayability.   No I don't want to do the "kill 800 rats" quest on character after character just to get modest gear.   But if the base quest isn't fun and simply a grind, I really don't want to do it on my first character either.

Your idea of fun and replayability could be completely different than another.  In most RPGs I've played they typically have a New Game + where you carry over many things from your previous game.  Why would an MMO be any different when you've invested significantly more time (most likely) than a console or computer RPG?

Lots of people here in the forums have said they want Pantheon to be tough and content driven. Doesn't twinkage go contrary to that statement and encourage people to bypass game elements?  

If people had to work hard to earn the twink gear, then no.  If everyone can get a fungi tunic type item within 4-5 hours in Pantheon then sure.  Like everything else in Pantheon, I want the hardest challenge possible, but if I have earned something through hard work/time, etc. then I don't think there's anything wrong with it being that character's decision to do what they want with it in game.

I'm going to stand on my position that twinkage is essentially evil.   

We disagree, if Pantheon's death penalty, exp curve, group interdependence amongst other aspects are extremely challenging - then I have no issues with twinking.  If Pantheon isn't challenging, then twinking is the least of my worries anyway.

• 557 posts
    August 15, 2015 7:20 PM PDT

Heya Raidan.  Certainly no offense taken.   You make some excellent points.

I still hold to the idea that games generally place too much emphasis on cool items and not enough on the skills of the character.  Sure there have been attempts to scale back stat or damage curves, but don't you think in a real sword fight the skill of the person has far more impact on the outcome than the quality of their rapier?   A novice with a fine blade is far more likely to damage the sword through poor technique, by missing the target entirely and hitting a rock, etc...   If we were talking about a shotgun fight, then skill would have less of an impact, but swords, shields, heavy armor, etc...  That all takes substantial skill to use effectively.  Thus I think my analogy of artisanal skills and tools does hold.  Anyone who has done any fencing can tell you there is considerable skill/art to the sport.  You're not cutting down a tree with a broad axe.   Historical battlegrounds were littered with the bodies of mere farmers who were handed a blade and shield and sent into battle.  A better sword would not likely have saved them as much as being a seasoned warrior.

I'd like to see characters capped so they're not able to solo group content or take on content that's grossly beyond the range of an untwinked player.   I'd like to see my success in encounters be based on  i) my skill as a player, ii) the acquired skills of my character and iii) my gear - more or less in that order of precedence/impact  but with none of those able to greatly unbalance what I can take on as level appropriate content.

This post was edited by Celandor at August 15, 2015 7:22 PM PDT
    • 999 posts
    August 16, 2015 5:56 AM PDT
    Celandor said:

I still hold to the idea that games generally place too much emphasis on cool items and not enough on the skills of the character.  Sure there have been attempts to scale back stat or damage curves, but don't you think in a real sword fight the skill of the person has far more impact on the outcome than the quality of their rapier?   A novice with a fine blade is far more likely to damage the sword through poor technique, by missing the target entirely and hitting a rock, etc...   If we were talking about a shotgun fight, then skill would have less of an impact, but swords, shields, heavy armor, etc...  That all takes substantial skill to use effectively.  Thus I think my analogy of artisanal skills and tools does hold.  Anyone who has done any fencing can tell you there is considerable skill/art to the sport.  You're not cutting down a tree with a broad axe.   Historical battlegrounds were littered with the bodies of mere farmers who were handed a blade and shield and sent into battle.  A better sword would not likely have saved them as much as being a seasoned warrior.

I don't disagree that there would definitely be skill involved in being a master swordsman, fencer (see Olympians), etc.; however, the point I was trying to make is a better quality blade would do more damage regardless simply due to the quality/sharpness etc. of the weapon and not only due to the skill of the person.  I would be all for glancing blows, misses, etc. with that weapon due to player weapon skills versus mob difficulty/level/ defensive skills; however, I would want to see those glancing blows on a rusty weapon as well.  Basically, the quality of the weapon shouldn't dictate misses it should be the skill of the player and the defensive skills of the mob.

I'd like to see characters capped so they're not able to solo group content or take on content that's grossly beyond the range of an untwinked player.   I'd like to see my success in encounters be based on  i) my skill as a player, ii) the acquired skills of my character and iii) my gear - more or less in that order of precedence/impact  but with none of those able to greatly unbalance what I can take on as level appropriate content.

I see your point here and I would agree, I'm all for player skill, but I do think there could be a realistic way behind to scenes to control this by creating skill or stat based walls which make sense versus using required levels or bind on equip on gear.  Example being, if your weapon skills were less than 50 damage max damage cap is 20, less than 100, damage cap is 40, etc.  It's still artificial, but at least it could be explained that you don't have the skills to command the full potential of that weapon.   And, instead of putting raw hps/mana/regen etc. on gear, increase it through stats (Sta/Wis/Int and would have to be creative with regen) which would scale in benefit with player level.  And, like EQ, with procs, you could have the message that "Your will isn't sufficient to control this weapon" until X level.  The only really difficult thing to control would be Armor Class on gear, but, like weapons, you could probably have that skill based as well in that your Defense Skill controlled the AC caps.  At 50 defensive skill cap is 200, 100, cap is 400, etc.  

This post was edited by Raidan at August 17, 2015 3:40 AM PDT
  • August 17, 2015 5:59 AM PDT
    Raidan said:
    BloodbeardBattlecaster said:

Brad did say there would be twinking, to some extent.   The problem with removing level restrictions on gear is the perma-camp problems.  Yes, so a player has gotten an earring of invisibility from that evil magician deep in the dark dungeon... oh well, the player wants his level 1 twink to have the same earring and so he's camping/farming the area with his main who now gets zero return in exp, and is 'blocking' the path for those who are just able to exp in the area.

While camping items would happen if twinking was allowed, it would also flood the market with more earrings of invisibility due to having players be able to camp them and sell them.  It only really was an issue with items in EQ that could be multi-quested that were "no drop."  But, even then, developers could easily alleviate those problems by having a mobile spawn like Sebillis key mobs versus the a mob like the Ancient Cyclops.

I would much rather deal with rude players than artificial restrictions.

I agree mostly with your post, and that twinking should be allowed.   The problem I see is the balancing required to keep twinking at the same level as EQ.   I don't mean balancing has to be perfect but it seems like there is a ton more work to do if there are no level/skill restrictions on items. 

Even EQ had the skill limitation.  Sure you might be wielding an Executioner's Axe as a level 1... but with your low 2hand slash skill, combined with the 50(?) delay and the fact it would not proc for you until much later... you took some bumps using it. :)

• August 17, 2015 6:02 AM PDT
    Raidan said:

I see your point here and I would agree, I'm all for player skill, but I do think there could be a realistic way behind to scenes to control this by creating skill or stat based walls which make sense versus using required levels or bind on equip on gear.  Example being, if your weapon skills were less than 50 damage max damage cap is 20, less than 100, damage cap is 40, etc.  It's still artificial, but at least it could be explained that you don't have the skills to command the full potential of that weapon.   And, instead of putting raw hps/mana/regen etc. on gear, increase it through stats (Sta/Wis/Int and would have to be creative with regen) which would scale in benefit with player level.  And, like EQ, with procs, you could have the message that "Your will isn't sufficient to control this weapon" until X level.  The only really difficult thing to control would be Armor Class on gear, but, like weapons, you could probably have that skill based as well in that your Defense Skill controlled the AC caps.  At 50 defensive skill cap is 200, 100, cap is 400, etc.  

Well,  I obviously didn't read this paragraph before replying to you Raidan.  :)   I'm thinking we're of the same mind on this topic.

• 81 posts
    August 17, 2015 7:27 AM PDT

When it comes to twinks I have mixed feelings. If I have my main character that is a cloth wearer and I happen to collect some decent plate gear I have no issues with people being able to send that to a plate wearing alt. However I do not think the gear should be full stats as it would be to a max level player. Its been so long now and my memories are running together but I recall this being the case at least at one point in EQ1. If you scale stuff down to the level of the player wearing it I do not think that is game breaking. With that being said I do not think all gear should be able to be traded. I do not think raid gear should be able to be sent to low level alts. I just hope we don't see the gear saturation we see in WoW. There is so much of everything nothing is rare nothing is special anymore.

• 160 posts
    August 17, 2015 11:53 AM PDT

Let's cut through assorted justifications. People want to twink because they want to sometimes play a character that feels like a demigod.

This, almost invariably, is bad for the game. It might feel good to that player and at that time. But how do all the other players, with regular gear, feel after seeing someone level 5 decked in full level 50 gear with full stats? It's disgusting.

I remember in EQ 1, back before recommended level and stats scaling were introduced (which was a good design decision IMO), items before Velious expansion (such as those from Kunark, class armor for example) did not have level requirements. So you could have level 1 in level 50 Kunark items.

The playing field should be at least reasonably level.

If you allow twinking, you must have stats scaling, so that the effective item stats are what would normally be expected from an item of such level, and there should be a minimum required level so that the difference never becomes obscene.

Have some respect for the game.

As for linear gear progression, it has to be linear in any game. However, getting a new item should be a RARE and SIGNIFICANT thing.

If you make a game where people get one item at level 10 and the next of the same type at level 11, and then 12, 13, 14... getting items loses its point.

Make people work long and hard for their items. Make getting an upgrade an event worthy of stories, of telling your guild that you got it.

Then and only then you can have a meaningful, fulfilling item progression.

• 1778 posts
    August 17, 2015 12:31 PM PDT
    This is why horizontal gear progression is so good. You can still have vertical gear progression but can space it out to make each piece of gear that much more valuable. I like working hard to get new gear. But damnit I want that gear to be something I use 1-3 years down road. And if we get situational gear, even more reason to hold onto gear. Its no longer simply just best in slot. Now you have to choose between the best in slot robe for casting vs that robe with the ridiculous fire protection so you dont burn out tbe healers while fighting in that lava field. That is............ until you get that uber fire resistant robe with the mean caster stats ^.^
    • 1281 posts
    August 17, 2015 8:51 PM PDT

I believe the most successful way to build a non-linear game is to design the world without a plan on how the player progresses. Build a fantastic fantasy world that lives and breaths on it's own and let us figure out which way to explore it.

• 999 posts
    August 18, 2015 6:15 PM PDT
    Aethor said:

Let's cut through assorted justifications. People want to twink because they want to sometimes play a character that feels like a demigod.

This, almost invariably, is bad for the game. It might feel good to that player and at that time. But how do all the other players, with regular gear, feel after seeing someone level 5 decked in full level 50 gear with full stats? It's disgusting.

I remember in EQ 1, back before recommended level and stats scaling were introduced (which was a good design decision IMO), items before Velious expansion (such as those from Kunark, class armor for example) did not have level requirements. So you could have level 1 in level 50 Kunark items.

I can't speak for the other posters, but I'm not attempting to justify anything.  I don't twink because I like to blow through content or to feel like I'm using some cheat code.  I liked twinking because it rewards the time I have already invested and it may give me a use for extra gear that my main can't use or has recently upgraded.  If controlled, as suggested in my previous posts, it can be rewarding without being detrimental.

As far as the disgusting portion, I would highly disagree with that.  Much like a level 1 looking at a level 50 in awe with gear envy - I would look at a twink similarly - I would want to invest the time and earn the gear so I could be like that person.  I would say if people are having gear envy that's a healthy sign for Pantheon as it means people are becoming invested and they want to better their characters.  Although, it is disgusting if players are buying twink gear/characters/accounts with real money or are being powerleveled through content as I do feel that is defeating the purpose of playing the game.

The playing field should be at least reasonably level.

Agreed, which is why I would suggest scaling the equipment like original EQ did, but I would take original EQ's idea a bit further to adjust the detrimental twinking that was created by raw hps/mana/regen etc. (Think Fungi tunic maybe giving you 1-2 extra hps at level 1 versus 15).

If you allow twinking, you must have stats scaling, so that the effective item stats are what would normally be expected from an item of such level, and there should be a minimum required level so that the difference never becomes obscene.

We disagree here, if that were the case there would be no point for twinking at all.  Twinking should allow equipment, if good enough, to be the best in slot of that level range which could easily be controlled by damage/skill caps, etc. as I had previously posted.

Have some respect for the game.

As long as someone legitimately earned their twink gear, I see no disrespect to the game.  I would view being disrespectful as exploiting pathing bugs, kill stealing, camp stealing, griefing etc.

As for linear gear progression, it has to be linear in any game. However, getting a new item should be a RARE and SIGNIFICANT thing.

If you make a game where people get one item at level 10 and the next of the same type at level 11, and then 12, 13, 14... getting items loses its point.

Make people work long and hard for their items. Make getting an upgrade an event worthy of stories, of telling your guild that you got it.

Then and only then you can have a meaningful, fulfilling item progression.

We agree 100% here.  I want horizontal progression rather than vertical.  I want gear that lasts for 10-15 levels and is still viable rather than upgrading a slot with every new quest hub.  I want alternative forms of advancement.  I want gear that people will look at the player and recognize.  However, all that can be accomplished and twinking still be present in game.  That does not mean that I think all gear should be tradeable.  I do think there is a need/place for "No Drop" items with quests similar to EQ1 epics.  

• 158 posts
    August 20, 2015 6:01 PM PDT

I don't know, the more comments I end up seeing for twinking the more I feel like it may not be the best idea in the way people are talking about it here. Yes, I know that people aren't saying to have it completely unlimited but I think it would be best to just have rare and powerful items available at a variety of level brackets rather than allowing items of any level (or simply having no level requirements) to be equipped with scaling stats. 

I feel like if this is done it will trivialize the value of lower level equipment which has an effect on the value and importance of rare and powerful level appropriate equipment as well as making lower level crafting somewhat pointless in the long run.

I am not opposed to the idea of twinking persay, but I would rather it be limited to level appropriate gear (which means you could still make use of your high level character and investments to acquire special items for your alts). 

• 9 posts
    August 21, 2015 10:06 AM PDT

Nice to see other peoples thoughts on the matter.

I feel that removing twinking all together will involve putting up walls, and restrictions, that are not necessary. It can also impact, greatly so, the player who isn't twinked and just wants to level up (these people are usually the players who started a bit after launch). Not to mention that there will always be twinking no matter how many walls, and restrictions, the developers put up. Let me explain.

As much as the developers create a variety of gear, the player base is the one to actually determine it's value. If items are level restricted, new players are forced to buy the cheaper stuff. The old player can afford that 20k level 10 item, because they already have the means to make money better than the newer player. EQ2 and FFXI are examples of this. Even at lower levels, and with level restrictions, you can tell who can afford what just by how much damage they can take/spells they can cast. 

If there are no walls, that new player can look through a vast variety of items and save up. Maybe even camp the item! Add those walls/restrictions, all of the sudden those options are gone. That rush of buying/looting an item that even high level's want is gone (leveled gear obviously means level mobs). The player is forced to buy/find only level 1-30 gear only. That's never fun; and if they started late? That means playing catch up is even more rough.

The only options that would make sense is the scaled gear like EQLive did it later in it's release. Or create a bunch of mundane weapons and armor just so the power disparity isn't that drastic.

In closing, I feel twinking is something that cannot be avoided no matter how many restrictions/walls/hoops you create for the player. There will always be those pieces that the player base determines you should have at that level, then charge out the booty for it. Thus creating a rift between the poor and the rich in game. I feel like people should buy whatever they want at any level, because I like options. If they have a truckload of money to twink their character out to the teeth? Then so be it. But this is hardly the case, as it will be a bunch of cheap items, or one really expensive weapon (maybe a haste item).

• 158 posts
    August 21, 2015 12:13 PM PDT
    Dynheart said:

Nice to see other peoples thoughts on the matter.

I feel that removing twinking all together will involve putting up walls, and restrictions, that are not necessary. It can also impact, greatly so, the player who isn't twinked and just wants to level up (these people are usually the players who started a bit after launch). Not to mention that there will always be twinking no matter how many walls, and restrictions, the developers put up. Let me explain.

As much as the developers create a variety of gear, the player base is the one to actually determine it's value. If items are level restricted, new players are forced to buy the cheaper stuff. The old player can afford that 20k level 10 item, because they already have the means to make money better than the newer player. EQ2 and FFXI are examples of this. Even at lower levels, and with level restrictions, you can tell who can afford what just by how much damage they can take/spells they can cast. 

If there are no walls, that new player can look through a vast variety of items and save up. Maybe even camp the item! Add those walls/restrictions, all of the sudden those options are gone. That rush of buying/looting an item that even high level's want is gone (leveled gear obviously means level mobs). The player is forced to buy/find only level 1-30 gear only. That's never fun; and if they started late? That means playing catch up is even more rough.

The only options that would make sense is the scaled gear like EQLive did it later in it's release. Or create a bunch of mundane weapons and armor just so the power disparity isn't that drastic.

In closing, I feel twinking is something that cannot be avoided no matter how many restrictions/walls/hoops you create for the player. There will always be those pieces that the player base determines you should have at that level, then charge out the booty for it. Thus creating a rift between the poor and the rich in game. I feel like people should buy whatever they want at any level, because I like options. If they have a truckload of money to twink their character out to the teeth? Then so be it. But this is hardly the case, as it will be a bunch of cheap items, or one really expensive weapon (maybe a haste item).

I am not sure I understand what you are saying here. If anything I would think that the unrestricted would be much more detrimental to non-twinked characters as when items are leveled it kindof limits exactly how far a twink could go. You mentioned FFXI so I will provide an example from there : leaping boots were a great low level item that was quite powerful and depending on what stats you wanted it was one of the best items for feet that you could get for quite a while (so while it required level 7 to use them it was really a much higher level item quality). This kept low level content valuable and still allowed for people to pass on great items to alts (or in the case of ffxi, other jobs since you can level all of them on the same chracter) or to just get really nice stuff for their character in general.

I really can't see how leveled items has any effect on the economic implications of this issue. Rare and expensive items are going to be rare and expensive anyway no? New players are going to have a hard time obtaining gear as good as twinks in the no level system as well, and come to think of it wouldn't it even be worse that way? In an unleveled system a level 10 is never going to be able to farm a level 50 monster for a powerful item so they MUST get it from a higher level alt, friend, or buy it. In FFXI (with the leveled system you say is unfair) despite some items having been expensive pretty much all of the stuff you can wear at your level you can go out and get it if you don't have the money (though sometimes/often that required a full/partial party to hunt down your item).

• 9 posts
    August 21, 2015 1:34 PM PDT

To clear up my previous post, I just feel that no matter what the player base/devs strive for...Twinking will always remain. Regardless of level restrictions. Like for FFXI, for example, newer players would be stuck with just regular Spatha's, that horrible looking set (forget the name). Twinks can go above and beyond that with +1's, rare drops.

You would think a level 1-5 item would be pretty cheap regardless of the drop. But the players, like i said before, determined that the rare drops from that level bracket, and the +1's, are priced beyond what any new player can attain. These prices are obviously aimed at twinking. Take advantage of a market where people can spend loads of gold like it's going out of style. This forces the newer players to buy that 100 gil spatha, instead of that 25000 gil rare drop/+1 gear weapon slot. It was the same with EQ2 as well. Most people didn't bother buying the rare/super crafted gear at lower levels because...you aren't level cap. But the prices were still crazy high, and not attainable for newer players. If a player was so inclined to twink their character, the option is there because they have the money. But these players who be a cut above the rest, in that level bracket...and it showed.

I just feel twinking is something you cannot avoid, not matter how many walls suggested to keep it in check. Players who play the game will determine what items are worth, even if it's not the developers intention, and create that gear disparity themselves. Even with systems in place! It comes down to the all might plat/gil/gold, whatever. Just let people buy what ever, equip whatever. If there's a system that I agree with, that's the item scaling just like EQLive did. Or maybe some statistical requirement. Those make more sense to me than straight up restricting the players options. Regardless of level.

This post was edited by Dynheart at August 21, 2015 1:36 PM PDT
    • 17 posts
    August 21, 2015 4:29 PM PDT

OMG Linear gear progression is easily one of the worst things to come to MMO's.

• 158 posts
    August 21, 2015 4:33 PM PDT

Well as I said I am not inherently against twinking, I just think that allowing use of items at all levels is the problem. As I noted I feel like it will remove value from actual on-level (stuff that a player of that level could reasonably obtain), devalue lower level crafted gear (because why even make lower level stuff if you can just use the high level stuff), and make the disparity even larger because new players would have no way to obtain the high level stuff aside from getting it from people who are high level but people who are twinking an alt would have much more reliable access.

• 105 posts
    August 28, 2015 4:02 PM PDT

If I understand correctly, I agree with the OP. One of the things that bugs me with so many recent MMOs is that between the fast leveling pace and rate new equipment shows up it's unrealistic for a new player to the game to replace their equipment as often as new equipment becomes available, so you constantly feel underpowered for you level.

On top of that the system would be insane without an auction house. If you have a whole new set of equipment every level or two then what are you going to do, go all over the world collecting new equipment every level? If it's crafted then fine, how are you going to sell your current equipment to get new equipment every level or two without an auction house?

I thought in many respects EQ had it right. Most drops below level 20 didn't even give any stat boostm so you looked forward to getting high enough level to be able to hunt for an item that gave stat bonuses. The item you got at level 32 might be the best available till level 40 so you didn't need to replace equipment often and you could plan out your acquisitions.

• 70 posts
    September 9, 2015 11:02 AM PDT

I think there are several different arguments here.  First off when people say linear gear progression what they typically mean is that you basically have identical gear throughout your entire career the only difference is that higher level or tiered versions of the gear have a slight increase in stats.  So you would get a sweet Hauberk of Rat Slaying at level 10 and it would have 15 AC 3 Str and 3 Sta.  At level 15 you find a Chain Bikini Bra of Elf Massacre and it has 17 AC 4 Str and 4 Sta.  When you get to level 45 you come across a Ringmail Coat of Chest Hair Pulling that has 175 AC 17 Str and 17 Sta.  This is linear gear progression and it's F#@%ING BORING.  Tiered armor in something like WoW tends to have some nifty set based effects but really it's just more linear stat progression and rarely interesting.

What EQ had in the beginning was UNIQUE items that really had no attachment or similarity to other items in the game.  Your FBSSs and GEBs and GBSs and M2Hs and BBCs (bone bladed claymore you pervs) and SMRs and SSoYs and you get the point.  These items were not some cheesy upgrade from the item you had picked up 3 levels before with +1 more to each stat.  They were unique and interesting and something you would covet until you had your own and then you would be F YEAH BITCHES LOOK AT MAH PURPLE ROBES.  Itemization NEEDS to be this way in this game.  If it's not it instantly loses every bit of appeal EQ had from a gear perspective.

The other main argument here seems to be the age old "Do twinks ruin the game?".  I think in reading through the responses a lot of people here do not really remember twinking in vanilla EQ or are recalling some of the silliness when they added in gear scaling.  First off, twinking in EQ did not make your character go from being OMG PATHETIC to INVINCIBLE!  Yes, if you were fully twinked at level 1 you could slaughter bats and rats with zero fear of dying.  You could even go crazy and kill mobs a few levels higher than you.  This lasts til about level 8-10.  After that you become increasingly less ridiculously OP compared to people with more appropriate gear for their level.  This heaviest effect of twinking was on melee characters as casters only gained larger mana pools and a bit more armor being heavily twinked.   There were no items that boosted your casting abilities (though I guess technically focus items for a mage could give them a tiny edge up on pet strength).

As was mentioned above the game also had some things in place that reduced the effectiveness of some twinking.  For instance damage caps up to certain levels prevented someone from putting on a crazy high damage weapon at low levels and just going berserk.  Another thing was the way bonus damage actually worked in EQ.  At level 1-20 you did not pick up an SSoY and do the same damage as a level 40-50 using an SSoY.  Bonus damage makes up a large part of how hard you hit with a weapon and that comes as you level and from added STR.  As I mentioned before casters gained minimal benefit from twinking due to there being no bonus damage.  Having a bigger pool you could cast more for sure but barring any OH SHIIII situations where that extra mana comes in, the slow speed of meditation meant you did the same damage over time as someone with no twink gear.

Melees twinked over the top do have an impact on low level groups in that they are more desirable than someone who has level appropriate gear because they do more damage, take less damage, and in an OH SHIIIII situation have more hp.  This is pretty much the only real argument for twinking ruining low level game play.  In my opinion this was trivial in EQ and the vast majority of the groups were happy to have twinks in them and most of the poorly geared folk were just like OH WOW THAT'S AWESOME WHERE DID YOU GET THAT I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL I LEVEL UP AND CAN GET ONE OF THOSE.  It was pretty rare in my experience to encounter the jaded OMFG YOU TWINK I AM NOT GROUPING WITH YOU YOU RUIN THE GAME.  So I don't really feel this part of it matters.

The other argument seems to be spawn contention and higher level characters farming.  To me this always seems like a greed vs greed scenario.  Why is it more greedy to farm something to use on your alt or another character or to sell to buy gear for your character than it is to farm it for yourself?  In the end either case is just looking to improve their character.  Why is one worse than the other?  It's like the silliness of need before greed (which admittedly in old school EQ I was a hardcore subscriber of).  Why is one character wanting something to use because it improves their character less greedy than someone wanting to sell the same item to buy something to improve their character assuming both contributed to acquiring said item.  (the answer is it isn't)

My vote is for non-linear gear progression and twinking (so long as the game handles it so that putting on BiS gear does not make a level 1 into a level 50).