Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Your favorite role ?

• 453 posts
    May 3, 2015 10:57 AM PDT

Sure, there will be lots of overlap depending on what class you play and how you play it, but in general, do you have a favorite role in group play?

Choices are:

1.Tanking

2.Healing

3. DPS

4. Utility and CC

5. I like to alt jump a lot and thus play a wide variety of roles.

POLL HERE:

https://www.pantheonrotf.com/polls/view/241/your-favorite-role

For me it's a tie between healing and utility/cc . If you had to twist my arm though I would choose healing. I am hoping that the druid class of Pantheon has a way to be healer specialized and thus be able to assume the role of a true healer.

This post was edited by Jason at May 3, 2015 11:00 AM PDT
    • 378 posts
    May 3, 2015 11:50 AM PDT

Healer Main ( heavy armoured Healer cleric or Paladin ) followed by DPS/CC alt ( normally a rogue type class )

• 308 posts
    May 3, 2015 12:49 PM PDT

After 15 years of gaming it's pretty easy for me to decide.... 2,3 or 4.  It ultimately depends on game mechanics.  In EQ i play DPS and CC since i hated healing  even though i have max level cleric, druid and shaman that i have raided with.  In Daoc i played a tank, dps and healer, this is the game where i actually got over hating healing in EQ.  In Warhammer i played a healer exclusively.  In Rift i played a combination cc/healer.  In WoW i played healer main with dps off spec.  As far as Pantheon goes, i am going to wait and see how the systems flesh out before i make my decision, but i will be looking at healer > CC > dps in that order.  

This post was edited by Reht at May 3, 2015 6:04 PM PDT
    • 154 posts
    May 3, 2015 7:23 PM PDT

In EQ I preferred DPS but in VG I actually think I preferred the healers. I think as Reht said its all about the game mechanics and how likely I am to find a group in my limited play time. If the populations is smaller a healer always gets a group not so with DPS.

• 1434 posts
    May 3, 2015 8:59 PM PDT

My favorite role is the one most needed by the people I play with or the community at large.  I just want to play a class that helps get stuff done.  If more dps is needed, I enjoy being the one to provide it.  If there aren't enough healers to go around, filling that need is what I want to do.  Same for tanking and support.

The most important thing is being able to experience the game to its fullest and efficiently with other like-minded players.

This post was edited by Dullahan at May 3, 2015 9:02 PM PDT
    • 1434 posts
    May 3, 2015 9:00 PM PDT

dbl

This post was edited by Dullahan at May 3, 2015 9:01 PM PDT
    • 288 posts
    May 3, 2015 9:03 PM PDT
    Dullahan said:

My favorite role is the one most needed by the people I play with or the community at large.  I just want to play a class that helps get stuff done.  If more dps is needed, I enjoy being the one to provide it.  If there aren't enough healers to go around, filling that need is what I want to do.  Same for tanking and support.

The most important thing is being able to experience the game to its fullest and efficiently with other like-minded players.

Pretty much my opinion in a nutshell, however I am partial to being a puller, and it's a role that existed in EQ, but was never really meant to be there.

• 724 posts
    May 3, 2015 11:26 PM PDT

I loved UO where I played a mage, which allowed you a bit of everything: magic damage, healing and utility. I especially liked the summoning of elementals and other creatures. So I've looked for classes that could do this in the games I played since then (EQ2: summoner, Aion: spirit master, Rift: elementalist, ..). If a game didn't have a summoner class, I went with a healing class instead. In VG I went with something unusual, the disciple (unusual because melee based ;)

So, my preferred role is really (magic) dps I suppose, although I like to heal as well if the class allows it (like in Rift where you could switch to Chloromancer quickly).

This post was edited by Sarim at May 3, 2015 11:27 PM PDT
    • 308 posts
    May 4, 2015 2:58 AM PDT

tank or heals for me! i am actually partial to tank, but until i find a guild to play with and suss out some good healers i usually play healer, shaman most likely.

• May 4, 2015 7:11 AM PDT

Healer, unless the class ends up being some kind of tanking, nuking, throw-a-heal-now-and-then, type.  The games where healers were not all that distinct from each other and from dps, I did not enjoy playing the class.

• 112 posts
    May 4, 2015 10:06 AM PDT

Currently, where I can't guarantee I'd be able to commit to a group/camp for any extended period, I'd likely be a dps that wouldn't gimp a group if I had to bail.

If I succeed in fixing my personal ... then either puller (so I'm not sitting idle), cc if they can show some skills, or a tank.  Basically the classes that tend to have "good" or "bad" attached to their class name when someone describes them.  No offense meant to healers ;)

• 67 posts
    May 5, 2015 6:58 AM PDT

I loved utility for a bard in EQ as we could do almost anything, however I also love being a healer. I think healing in this game is going to be a lot of fun so thus healing is where it's at for now.

• 91 posts
    May 5, 2015 9:28 AM PDT

I love healing the most but tanking is fun as well.

• 2 posts
    May 5, 2015 11:57 PM PDT

My favorites in EQ were mostly utility and a bit specific. On the necro I think my favorite was raid recovery after wipes, on my bard it was pulling and CC. I also really enjoyed being part of DPS groups with overhaste or buffing a single groups resists super high (like the tank group for resists). I was fine with tanking/healing/dpsing etc, but stuff like single pulling the boss from BoT upper to zonein and whatnot was just too much fun. 

I mostly played a druid in groups in vanguard, so more utility/dps. In WoW I raided with a warlock then as a tank or healer but honestly none of the trinity roles are particularly my favorite, just stuff I'd do cuz we were low on raiding tank/healers etc.

Healing can be fun though, the chloromancer in rift was entertaining.. and the melee priest in warhammer (forget the name). DPSing to heal is a fun mechanic. I loved the blood mage in VG too, great class, really interesting and unique.

This post was edited by Setsoru at May 5, 2015 11:58 PM PDT
    • 13 posts
    May 6, 2015 10:45 AM PDT

I'll let my sig' speak for me