Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Resist and PvP

• 91 posts
    March 8, 2015 8:39 PM PDT

I all for resist gear for certain encounters my only fear with resist is that it will get so high that in pvp casters will be at a large disadvantage.  Do you see resist being in or out of pvp encounters and what's your guys thoughts on it?

• 31 posts
    March 8, 2015 8:57 PM PDT
    I'm not sure how it's calculated in eq atm but with Max resists I resist a lot of spells bar the 'unresistable' ones and they hurt! There is always going to be a balance between caster's and melee sorts, there has to be.

If anything like resilience is brought out I'm going blue...
    • 753 posts
    March 8, 2015 8:59 PM PDT

I hesitate to speak for the entire community, but I think the general thought on PvP is:

Nobody is all that concerned if they decide to stand up a PvP server... BUT... the vast majority of folks here don't want them giving PvP any consideration a all in game development - because when you start considering how things function for PvP, you start watering down PvE, etc...

If anyone disagrees with that general statement - feel free to chime in :) 

• 91 posts
    March 8, 2015 9:40 PM PDT

I am all about raiding.. I play to raid and well I guess socialize with friends as well (big part of the raiding experience obviously) However, pvP bring an interesting dynamic I am uninterested in a pvp dynamic like WoW where they do all they can do to push you into it BUT as I said it adds a Dynamic I sure as heck don't want them wasting a ton of time on it BUT resist and spell dmg and things of that nature should be thought out on its effect in pvp imho... because truth is.... there will be those who want to do it at some level.

• 31 posts
    March 8, 2015 10:17 PM PDT
    I played on a pvp server all my life. In eq1 since 99 I was on vallonzek and I still log into my toon in zek now. PVp is what made the game what it was, for me. Contested raids? No worries! Go kill the opponent then take the raid mob. It was just so much fun. Maybe people don't agree with this but that was my experience.

I'd like to see pvp in the game but if you guys choose not to have it then that's up to you, your not able to keep everyone happy by any means. There needs to be a balance.
    • 671 posts
    March 8, 2015 10:39 PM PDT

I think What Pantheon needs, is oldschool Arenas. EQ wasn't PvP either, but I know when we had guild meets, I conducted them near Arenas because the after party was fun.

An idea like the idea of an Ancient Zone (somewhere underground in ancient massive caverns)... that no alignment works and the entire zone is PvP/Arena zone w/ PvE contended content. Call it the dread...  because even corpse runs can turn into ransom...  if someone, or a party camps your corpse for 1 week and lets it rot.  lol

• 31 posts
    March 8, 2015 10:47 PM PDT
    Hieromonk said:

I think What Pantheon needs, is oldschool Arenas. EQ wasn't PvP either, but I know when we had guild meets, I conducted them near Arenas because the after party was fun.

An idea like the idea of an Ancient Zone (somewhere underground in ancient massive caverns)... that no alignment works and the entire zone is PvP/Arena zone w/ PvE contended content. Call it the dread...  because even corpse runs can turn into ransom...  if someone, or a party camps your corpse for 1 week and lets it rot.  lol

Might not have been a pvp orientated game but there were 5 pvp server, Sullen zek, vallonzek, tallon zek, rallos zek, can't remember the last one. Merged into zek. Although. We we have not enough backing for a pvp server, something that you suggested would be a pretty cool idea. I don't like the idea of queueing for battle grounds or anything like that. Maybe have a weekly event in the arena or something? Not sure how that would work but something could be figured out.
    This post was edited by medousa at March 8, 2015 10:48 PM PDT
    • 44 posts
    March 9, 2015 3:39 AM PDT

what about no PvP ? :p

• 308 posts
    March 9, 2015 8:04 AM PDT

I always hated PvP in EQ as a wizard, except when i got manaburn, then i could kill someone with impunity once every 72 minutes......the rest of the time it was a resistfest.  

• 91 posts
    March 9, 2015 9:51 AM PDT

This post was edited by Xanier at March 9, 2015 9:52 AM PDT
    • 91 posts
    March 9, 2015 9:52 AM PDT

It is always a possibility there could be no pvp.

I am in for this game with or without pvp BUT  I know in my experience over the years MOST of the top raiding guild wether in EQ or in WoW or in Rift had a lot of pvp'rs.  

I think EQ had a good pvp system it just needed to be tweaked because, as the above poster said, as a caster, outside the few unresistable spells everything else was resisted and as a caster that's not a whole lot of fun.  I honestly think to launch the game with a mirror pvp system as EQ1 with a few tweaks would be sufficient and it could be built on slowly over time, just like the crafting system..... THE KING of a long lasting MMO's is raiding hands down.  THAT'S what should take the majority of the effort everything in Pantheon should some how come back to helping people develop their characters, making them unique and helping them better themselves for raiding. JUST MY 2 CENTS.

This post was edited by Xanier at March 9, 2015 9:53 AM PDT
    • 610 posts
    March 9, 2015 10:12 AM PDT
    Xanier said:

It is always a possibility there could be no pvp.

I am in for this game with or without pvp BUT  I know in my experience over the years MOST of the top raiding guild wether in EQ or in WoW or in Rift had a lot of pvp'rs.  

I think EQ had a good pvp system it just needed to be tweaked because, as the above poster said, as a caster, outside the few unresistable spells everything else was resisted and as a caster that's not a whole lot of fun.  I honestly think to launch the game with a mirror pvp system as EQ1 with a few tweaks would be sufficient and it could be built on slowly over time, just like the crafting system..... THE KING of a long lasting MMO's is raiding hands down.  THAT'S what should take the majority of the effort everything in Pantheon should some how come back to helping people develop their characters, making them unique and helping them better themselves for raiding. JUST MY 2 CENTS.

I couldnt disagree more...its the "tweaking" of the game for the sake of PVP that has most of us very much against pvp. I would be 100% fine with no Pvp at all but wont object if they add on a pvp server....until the post for pvp balance start rolling in. Also I disagree about Raiding being the key to a long lasting mmo...most raiders I  know pretty much log on for "raid time" and not much else (most of my raiding xp comes from EQ2). Its the casuals that are usually your most steadfast customer (and I dont mean the "tablet game" casuals but the 3 years in and not max level RP'ing type casual)

• 308 posts
    March 9, 2015 10:32 AM PDT
    Sevens said:
    Also I disagree about Raiding being the key to a long lasting mmo...most raiders I  know pretty much log on for "raid time" and not much else (most of my raiding xp comes from EQ2). Its the casuals that are usually your most steadfast customer (and I dont mean the "tablet game" casuals but the 3 years in and not max level RP'ing type casual)

I have to disagree that raiders aren't equally as steadfast customers are casuals.  We continue to play because there are no other real raiding options elsewhere.  The reasons we don't play much outside of raid time is a lack of meaningful content to keep us playing, particularly in EQ.  We have to race through the content in order to get flagged for raids in order to place well in the progression race.  It's unfortunate, but it's almost a requirement today if you want to get good recruits.  More people in my guild have 2-5 accounts that they sub than people who only have 1 account.  Most of them have been playing over 5-10 years as well, that's pretty steadfast.  Most of the other guilds at my guild's level are the same way.  

This post was edited by Reht at March 9, 2015 10:34 AM PDT
    • 610 posts
    March 9, 2015 10:43 AM PDT
    Reht said:
    Sevens said:
    Also I disagree about Raiding being the key to a long lasting mmo...most raiders I  know pretty much log on for "raid time" and not much else (most of my raiding xp comes from EQ2). Its the casuals that are usually your most steadfast customer (and I dont mean the "tablet game" casuals but the 3 years in and not max level RP'ing type casual)

I have to disagree that raiders aren't equally as steadfast customers are casuals.  We continue to play because there are no other real raiding options elsewhere.  The reasons we don't play much outside of raid time is a lack of meaningful content to keep us playing, particularly in EQ.  We have to race through the content in order to get flagged for raids in order to place well in the progression race.  It's unfortunate, but it's almost a requirement today if you want to get good recruits.  More people in my guild have 2-5 accounts that they sub than people who only have 1 account.  Most of them have been playing over 5-10 years as well, that's pretty steadfast.  Most of the other guilds at my guild's level are the same way.  

I can see this

The Game NEEDS Raiders and RPers

Hardcore and casuals

The family style laid back guilds and the World firsts guilds

We need them all (Just not PvPers)

• 366 posts
    March 9, 2015 11:49 AM PDT
    Sevens said:
    Reht said:
    Sevens said:

I can see this

The Game NEEDS Raiders and RPers

Hardcore and casuals

The family style laid back guilds and the World firsts guilds

We need them all (Just not PvPers)

Yes, and by having that mix it makes for a strong economy.  You need the different people with different play styles selling and needing things to buy. 

example: Ralph Raider has a ton of excess raiding mats, he puts them up for sale and Carol casual buys the otherwise unattainable raid mats with all the money that she has made farming ore, which a Ralph raider may buy because he just wants to Raid and not farm as much  :)

This post was edited by Zarriya at March 9, 2015 2:04 PM PDT
    • 383 posts
    March 9, 2015 11:54 AM PDT

At the risk of being called a carebear... I would rather there be no pvp. Reason being is that I feel like we are already separated in modern day MMOs enough as it is and I would like one where we depend on the community as a whole.

It also seems like pvp usually turns into a select few or a group who go around ganking lowbies and calling it pvp.

This post was edited by Niien at March 9, 2015 11:59 AM PDT
    • 91 posts
    March 9, 2015 2:00 PM PDT

Pretty sure the way this game has been described its not going to be casual friendly.  Brad wrote an article after his "hiatus" stating trying to appeal to the casual and hardcore crowed is a pitfall..  

I personally don't consider someone who is a core to hardcore raider a casual because when your not raiding your not logging in.  that's the point of the AA system you always have something to do to better your raid situation.

• 31 posts
    March 9, 2015 2:00 PM PDT
    Niien said:

At the risk of being called a carebear... I would rather there be no pvp. Reason being is that I feel like we are already separated in modern day MMOs enough as it is and I would like one where we depend on the community as a whole.

It also seems like pvp usually turns into a select few or a group who go around ganking lowbies and calling it pvp.

To be fair, I did this in wow but wow was different to eq1, you died, popes up at the spirit reze, ran 30 meters or so and re spawned. Eq1 was different and plus there was a caped pvp lol ranged on my server, vallon zek, at the start I think it was 7 or 9 lvls up and down so a lvl 40 could kill a lvl 33 or up to a lvl 47. It was layer changed to 4 lvl a up and down? Anyway!
    • 106 posts
    March 9, 2015 2:25 PM PDT
    I got an awesome idea I'll make a separate post :-)
    • 15 posts
    March 9, 2015 4:03 PM PDT
    medousa said:
    I'm not sure how it's calculated in eq atm but with Max resists I resist a lot of spells bar the 'unresistable' ones and they hurt! There is always going to be a balance between caster's and melee sorts, there has to be. If anything like resilience is brought out I'm going blue...

They could just have casters with magic shields against melee to counter that.  Or as there is a chance to resist have a stat for resist melee but in the form of dodge or magic shield?

• 31 posts
    March 9, 2015 4:09 PM PDT
    Atm as it is on live, I'm a bard, I get raped by necros and wizards. If I get lucky and I interrupt properly then I could possibly defeat a wizard but necros not a chance cos of harm shield. Pvp can be balanced, anything can be balanced and with such an advanced Ai I'm sure there could be a set code that recognizes that you are pvping and will adjust to the certain system we have in place. Maybe have it so in Pvp your stats are caped at X or y to make it somewhat fair? I don't know.
    • 36 posts
    March 9, 2015 4:19 PM PDT
    Xanier said:

I all for resist gear for certain encounters my only fear with resist is that it will get so high that in pvp casters will be at a large disadvantage.  Do you see resist being in or out of pvp encounters and what's your guys thoughts on it?

Honestly, unless their some kind of looting mechanism where i can take armor/weapons from a person's corpse after I kill them, then I won't take PVP serious.

To answer your question, don't include resists in the damage check, create a PVP only defense stat that encompasses all damage types (both melee and spell based).

This post was edited by Strykr619 at March 9, 2015 4:20 PM PDT
    • 610 posts
    March 10, 2015 4:48 AM PDT
    Xanier said:

Pretty sure the way this game has been described its not going to be casual friendly.  Brad wrote an article after his "hiatus" stating trying to appeal to the casual and hardcore crowed is a pitfall..  

I personally don't consider someone who is a core to hardcore raider a casual because when your not raiding your not logging in.  that's the point of the AA system you always have something to do to better your raid situation.

Im a "casual" as I dont raid anymore

I wont PVP

I log on, play a bit socialize a bit and just do my thing...and Pantheon is the perfect game for me. Just because im casual doesnt mean I dont enjoy a nice challenge. In fact the ezmode welfare epics in most other games bores me silly

• 366 posts
    March 10, 2015 5:12 AM PDT
    Sevens said:
    Xanier said:

Im a "casual" as I dont raid anymore

I wont PVP

I log on, play a bit socialize a bit and just do my thing...and Pantheon is the perfect game for me. Just because im casual doesnt mean I dont enjoy a nice challenge. In fact the ezmode welfare epics in most other games bores me silly

There is no set definition of a hardcore gamer.  Some would argue you are a hardcore game if you put several hours into a game a day.  Nonetheless, I think you may find a lot more people in your playstyle category  there Sevens.  My friends and I  spend several hours a day playing a game  and only a couple of hours a week raiding. We love challenges, and want to earn our items in game, not have them thrown at us too.

This post was edited by Zarriya at March 10, 2015 8:52 AM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    March 10, 2015 5:25 AM PDT

This is veering off topic a lot here guy's, please bring it back around to the OP's topic of "Resist and PvP", if you are not interested in this topic or have nothing to add to it, then please allow the others to continue on topic.