Forums » News and Announcements

Pantheon Update: 2.20.15

• 318 posts
    February 21, 2015 6:50 AM PST

The new video seriously looks amazing! 100 million percent better than some of the earlier videos.

Even though the video was focusing on showing off the new art, you could also see glimpses of other aspects of development that have progressed.

1) Like the NPCs moving for one. The wolfs and bears are walking around in the wild. I think in all of the videos before this, the NPC's pretty much stood still.

2) The human race player models. I'm not sure if they are Unity assets or custom made, but they look pretty sweet to me.

3) The UI Layout is looking much cleaner as well. No more minimap, only a compass. And just a lot less clutter. I'm sure the UI is far from done, but it's definitely moving in the right direction.

I'm sure there are even more that I've missed. You devs are really make some major progress.

This post was edited by Wellspring at February 27, 2015 10:58 PM PST
    • 174 posts
    February 21, 2015 7:41 AM PST

Very nice progress all.  Way back when I mentioned graphics as being important to my sense of game play, and I have to say what I saw in this latest video satisfies my need for "eye candy".  Even though the game is being optimized I'll still build a new rig when the time comes.  No pixel, shadow nor animation shall be shown at less than what it deserves!  This is one future elf looking to getting up in those trees!

• 87 posts
    February 21, 2015 7:52 AM PST

Great work, team. I'm gonna go over to MMORPG.com and see what the trolls have to say about it now. LOL

Just went over there and saw no negative comments. I think Pantheon knocked them trolls unconscious.

This post was edited by Keiiek at February 21, 2015 10:10 PM PST
    • 999 posts
    February 21, 2015 8:21 AM PST
    Wellspring said:

The new video seriously looks amazing! 100 million percent better than some of the earlier videos.

Even though the video was focusing on showing off the new art, you could also see glimpses of other aspects of development that have progressed.

3) The UI Layout is looking much cleaner as well. No more minimap, only a compass. And just a lot less clutter. I'm sure the UI is far from done, but it's definitely moving in the right direction.

I'm sure there are even more that I've missed. You devs are really make some major progress.

I agree 100% with this and not having the gigantic text box was a huge step forward in the cleaner UI and more presentable video.  I also second the notion that having the video narrated was a nice addition as well.

I did notice the start of a few new songs and some environmental sounds as well.  The song beginning at 3:35 sounds like it could be a great character creation piece.

Awesome update and I appreciate the hard work all - I look forward to listening to more music updates released on Soundcloud as well.

• 148 posts
    February 21, 2015 9:09 AM PST

Great new video , as well as the updates and screenshots on Facebook.

I have always loved forest areas , being someone that mainly plays elves, so the new zone is looking incredible and the screenshot of it posted on Facebook may become my wallpaper for a bit.

Keep up the good work guys, can't wait to get to run around myself

• 610 posts
    February 21, 2015 9:25 AM PST
    Keiiek said:

Great work, team. I'm gonna go over to MMORPG.com and see what the trolls have to say about it now. LOL

Just went over there and saw no negative comments. I think Pantheon knocked them trolls unconscious.

Went over to Rerolled personally and was shocked at some of the positive remarks...Pantheon seems to be moving in the right direction and starting to win over some of its most ardent haters.

• 67 posts
    February 21, 2015 10:15 AM PST

The new video is really great. I am really impressed with the amount of time everyone is taking to make this better every chance they get. I am really excited about the upgrade to Unity 5.  Do you guys have a time frame on when that transition might take place?  I think Joppa said in the next few months? Have you all gotten into combat mechanics and the like yet, possibly something to show us in the near future?  The different types of mana for different sets of spells/magic seems like a new idea how many "sets" of mana do you see in the game?

Really though I think you did a great thing with the asset packs for time purposes and ease of use for you all. I am really digging the work being done more and more. 

Car-

• VR Staff
    • 176 posts
    February 21, 2015 10:30 AM PST
    Carrera said:

The new video is really great. I am really impressed with the amount of time everyone is taking to make this better every chance they get. I am really excited about the upgrade to Unity 5.  Do you guys have a time frame on when that transition might take place?  I think Joppa said in the next few months? Have you all gotten into combat mechanics and the like yet, possibly something to show us in the near future?  The different types of mana for different sets of spells/magic seems like a new idea how many "sets" of mana do you see in the game?

Really though I think you did a great thing with the asset packs for time purposes and ease of use for you all. I am really digging the work being done more and more. 

Car-

Thanks for the great feedback everyone - we are very encouraged, to say the least. And we're already back to work!

@Carrera - I anticipate we will be transitioning over to Unity5 over the next month or so, 2 at the most. Combat mechanics and class design is one of our primary Game Design focuses right now, so you will be seeing a lot more info and footage on that front over the coming months as well, including class descriptions and deeper insight into the multi-mana system and how it relates to our class system. Can't wait to share more!

• 378 posts
    February 21, 2015 1:20 PM PST

WoW guys looks amazing, Has a very Skyrim feel to the forest areas, Can't wait for alpha access to get a closer look.

By the way any progress with inverters / funding etc or are still doing more work before you look ?  

• 107 posts
    February 21, 2015 2:50 PM PST

Getting harder for people to say its a money grab.  I like that you guys are letting your work do the talking for you.  Impressive work to this point.  Thanks for sticking with the project.

• 83 posts
    February 21, 2015 4:05 PM PST

Whatta ya know, my first ever tip to massivelyop and they used it :)

The only thing that worries me abit from this video, is it looks like you're going for very realistic looking character models, personally i believe alittle more stylized look tends to last longer, as in looking "good" 5 years later, i know alot of people didnt like what bioware did with SW:ToR but i think they nailed their human characters, not to real and just as important not to cartoony, if that makes any sense.

• 38 posts
    February 21, 2015 4:55 PM PST
    Wellspring said:

1) Like the NPCs moving for one. The wolfs and bears are walking around in the wild. I think in all of the videos before this, the NPC's pretty much stood still.

2) The human race player models. I'm not sure if they are Unity assets or custom made, but they look pretty sweet to me.

Agreed, especially for number 2. I am tired of MMOs doing the whole cartoon look for their avatars. The human models look great to me. This is coming along nicely!

Kilsin said:
    Krohm said:
    Aradune said:
    Mistmaker said:

I'm really impressed with the visuals. I can see I will need to get a new computer for this game so I can play at ULTRA settings again :) Keep up the great work you all are doing and thanks for the update.

Actually, we are being *very* careful in this regard.  You will *not* need the latest and greatest machine to run Pantheon.  We are being very mindful of performance and stop every month and optimize.  One of the biggest mistakes with VG was getting all excited about the latest tech and then pushing it into the game.  When unfortunate events forced us to release 6 months early, most people, even on decent gaming machines, couldn't play the game and players left, most of them before even hitting level 2 or 3.  We cannot and will not make that mistake again.  Blizzard was brilliant with WoW and made sure average PCs could run the game.  We are doing the same with Pantheon.  In fact, the recent visual enhancements and tech we have just now revealed have *not* lowered the framerate at all.  Same with the advances coming when we switch to Unity 5 -- we are not going to let performance get in the way of you enjoying Pantheon.  No, you won't be able to use some ancient laptop you re-discover in your closet, but, likewise, you will *not* need to go spend a ton of money and have to have the fastest machine, CPU, GPU, etc.  

I don't mind making new mistakes -- we're very adventurous and always trying out this or that.  But making an old mistake again, releasing an unoptimized game that even the fastest game rigs choke on, is *not* an option for us.  We're very sensitive about this, I hope you can tell :)

-Brad

Can you guys give us an idea of the specifications of the computers you guy are playing on now or due to development are we going to have to wait for min specs to play to be released?

It's tough to give min specs this early mate, plus we all run the internal builds on different PCs, personally I have a pretty high end gaming PC (i7 3970 6 core Extreme @ 4.2, 32GB RAM, 840 Pro 256 SSD, Win 7 Ultimate, GTX 690),  but I know our machines vary a lot so we can't really give an accurate example of a min spec PC but I can tell you that I run the internal client at 120+ FPS and smooth as silk, except in a couple of the very new zone which have not been optimised properly yet, as you can see in the video with the Forest zone (which is one of my favorite zones too btw!) I get slight hitching there but again, it is way too early to worry about that and that zone hasn;t been fully optimised or performance tested, so when that happens, you will see a big difference.

The guys do a performance pass at the end of every month usually, so once that is done, everything seriously runs so smooth, I was actually quite surprised when I first logged in on how well it runs, I was expecting a big performance hit but it never happened. I can run around using Dev hacks to explore every zone and rarely drop below 80 FPS :)

I was very impressed with the forest zone as well. To be honest, my perspective on the Pantheon project is that there's only a few people directly involved taking feedback from people like me who are excited about the project, and I wasn't expecting much because of it. However, when I saw Halnir Pass, I became assured that the team knows how to get things done as fast, efficiently, and as great as possible.

This post was edited by Vortikai at February 21, 2015 5:01 PM PST
    • 144 posts
    February 21, 2015 6:27 PM PST

Ok if everyone was so impressed with the video then why do you not star rate the thread?

If you have been here since the start then you can see the "VASS" changes and improvement in this game.

KUDO"S KUDO"S KUDO"S  way to go team this puts hope in all the right places.  Keep up the great great work

~Chaam

• 671 posts
    February 21, 2015 10:26 PM PST

Visionary Realms FTW..

Thanks guys for the video & info. No need to applaud, I think you guys know the work you are doing is great. I am especially excited to hear VRi is moving to the Unity 5 engine, and that they have some fans of MMORPGs, over there.

I think I already have terminul addiction...     is that worse than evercrack..?

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    February 21, 2015 11:06 PM PST
    Krohm said:
    Aradune said:
    Mistmaker said:

I'm really impressed with the visuals. I can see I will need to get a new computer for this game so I can play at ULTRA settings again :) Keep up the great work you all are doing and thanks for the update.

Actually, we are being *very* careful in this regard.  You will *not* need the latest and greatest machine to run Pantheon.  We are being very mindful of performance and stop every month and optimize.  One of the biggest mistakes with VG was getting all excited about the latest tech and then pushing it into the game.  When unfortunate events forced us to release 6 months early, most people, even on decent gaming machines, couldn't play the game and players left, most of them before even hitting level 2 or 3.  We cannot and will not make that mistake again.  Blizzard was brilliant with WoW and made sure average PCs could run the game.  We are doing the same with Pantheon.  In fact, the recent visual enhancements and tech we have just now revealed have *not* lowered the framerate at all.  Same with the advances coming when we switch to Unity 5 -- we are not going to let performance get in the way of you enjoying Pantheon.  No, you won't be able to use some ancient laptop you re-discover in your closet, but, likewise, you will *not* need to go spend a ton of money and have to have the fastest machine, CPU, GPU, etc.  

I don't mind making new mistakes -- we're very adventurous and always trying out this or that.  But making an old mistake again, releasing an unoptimized game that even the fastest game rigs choke on, is *not* an option for us.  We're very sensitive about this, I hope you can tell :)

-Brad

Can you guys give us an idea of the specifications of the computers you guy are playing on now or due to development are we going to have to wait for min specs to play to be released?

To save on money and to make sure I'm not running an unrealistic machine, I'm pretty happy with the following (which I would consider middle-of-the-road today, and probably junk by 2016/2017.  Very happy with this machine, not only for running games, but for development, general use, etc.

Intel i5 4400 Haswel 3.1ghz

16 gigs RAM (could easily make due with 8) 800mhz DDR3

GTX 750ti (a pretty fast card for not that much money today)

An SSD & a regular HD

I think I spent less than $1200 for it almost 9 months ago, and probably over-paid at the time :)

I must say though, that it is very pre-mature and to be careful not to read too much into it.  The game will progress, be optimized, etc.  PCs will become faster and cheaper.  The game will launch when it does.

• 753 posts
    February 22, 2015 12:05 AM PST
    Aradune said:
    Krohm said:
    Aradune said:
    Mistmaker said:

-Brad

To save on money and to make sure I'm not running an unrealistic machine, I'm pretty happy with the following (which I would consider middle-of-the-road today, and probably junk by 2016/2017.  Very happy with this machine, not only for running games, but for development, general use, etc.

An SSD & a regular HD

I think I spent less than $1200 for it almost 9 months ago, and probably over-paid at the time :)

I must say though, that it is very pre-mature and to be careful not to read too much into it.  The game will progress, be optimized, etc.  PCs will become faster and cheaper.  The game will launch when it does.

Aiming for reasonable specs like that is brilliant. 

I've said for years that I thought at least part of the reason WoW beat out EQII at launch was this exact problem.   Way more people could play WoW than EQII with the system they already had sitting on their desk...  because (and I stand by this statement) - EQII was and remains to this day a game with more depth than WoW.

At the very least, aiming at a "reasonable current day" system thus means more people will have an opportunity to try - and will potentially latch on to - Pantheon.

Very nice move indeed.

Thanks!

• 9 posts
    February 22, 2015 2:22 AM PST

OMG! The first time I saw this video I missed the tree monster that came after the NPC Maxfel Ironblade. If some creatures are going to be so well camouflaged I'm screwed! haha! Very cool.

I guess I will need to pick a safe class for an old guy with 5 kids! :)

• 671 posts
    February 22, 2015 11:02 AM PST
    Aradune said:
    Krohm said:
    Aradune said:
    Mistmaker said:

-Brad

An SSD & a regular HD

I am impressed, that you have such stellar frames on a (soon-to-be) $99 video card.

Also, I don't think you have anything to worry about Brad.. I do not think you will fall victim, or get frak'd ovr like MS did w/dx10 jump.  Windows 10 (and DX12) is already stellar & stable.. & free.

Unity 5 (& dx12) will make for a great canvass for Your Vision. These latest video clips are evident of rough creative ideas based on performance feedback. That bodes real well for those who pick this game up 3 years from now.. and enter a city and see 40+ people standing there, none with any of the same armor pieces.

64bit OS

64bit engine

8GB of ram

4GB of VRAM

SSD

A whole world can exist within those^ confines...   you are now unlimited brad, do eet.

• 208 posts
    February 22, 2015 6:55 PM PST

Hmmm I sense a problem forming on the Development team and it apparently is being overlooked.  I know that the majority of gamers int he world use some kind of windows based PC system. Nothing wrong with that.  Contrary to popular opinion though, there is more than just one Operating System(OS for those in the know).  I personally use a Mac mini right now that was built in 2009.  Its specs would make most serious computer people cringe at being limited to those resources.  So is there anyone on the development team that uses a Mac or a Linux based system for building AND playing MMOs?

• 44 posts
    February 22, 2015 7:06 PM PST

I am very encouraged by the news that's been released.  I wish I had time to write it all out, but my wife and I are expecting our second girl any day now t.  I just wanted to stop in and say good job.  I am still rooting for this project.  I am excited the pending details.  

It's just good to use the word excited about a pending MMO.  Take your time and release a good, solid game.

• 9115 posts
    February 22, 2015 7:31 PM PST
    Brunt said:

I am very encouraged by the news that's been released.  I wish I had time to write it all out, but my wife and I are expecting our second girl any day now t.  I just wanted to stop in and say good job.  I am still rooting for this project.  I am excited the pending details.  

It's just good to use the word excited about a pending MMO.  Take your time and release a good, solid game.

Congratulations Brunt, I hope all goes well for you and your wife mate!

Thanks for the continued support, we appreciate it a lot and just think, by the time Pantheon is released, you could train up a little pocket healer! I knew I should've had kids! lol :P

• 318 posts
    February 22, 2015 7:34 PM PST
    Sogotp said:

Hmmm I sense a problem forming on the Development team and it apparently is being overlooked.  I know that the majority of gamers int he world use some kind of windows based PC system. Nothing wrong with that.  Contrary to popular opinion though, there is more than just one Operating System(OS for those in the know).  I personally use a Mac mini right now that was built in 2009.  Its specs would make most serious computer people cringe at being limited to those resources.  So is there anyone on the development team that uses a Mac or a Linux based system for building AND playing MMOs?

If the game isn't developed for Mac operating systems, all you would need to do is use bootcamp to install the windows operating system on Mac. You would then be able to switch between your Mac OS and Windows when you wanted to play Pantheon.

I imagine you could do the same thing on Linux. I know I've done the reverse and have installed a Linux virtual machines through my Windows OS.

This post was edited by Wellspring at February 22, 2015 7:35 PM PST
    • 38 posts
    February 22, 2015 8:46 PM PST

Wait, are we going to see a 64 bit version of the game as well?

• 132 posts
    February 22, 2015 10:59 PM PST
    Wellspring said:
    Sogotp said:

If the game isn't developed for Mac operating systems, all you would need to do is use bootcamp to install the windows operating system on Mac. You would then be able to switch between your Mac OS and Windows when you wanted to play Pantheon.

I imagine you could do the same thing on Linux. I know I've done the reverse and have installed a Linux virtual machines through my Windows OS.

Unity has built in support for mac and linux so im pretty sure a mac and linux client will be available.

Im also pretty sure a mac and linux client has been promised at some point.

Here it is on the kickstarter page:

The game will run on PC, Mac, and possibly other platforms in the future.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen

• 26 posts
    February 22, 2015 11:55 PM PST

Great work with the update, personally I think it looked way better than what I remember of Vanguard. Alot of that is likely due to the great art work the areas had a nice amount of foliage at differing heights and densities. with atmospherics like fog plus the modern lightning its starting to be very comparable with modern MMO offerings.

I did like the wolves too, the movement was very realistic and model looked sweet. I think the human models were a little behind but its room for improvement :) Would like to something closer to ESO say as thats a good base for a modern game even if characters aren't that pretty :)

One thing I did pickup on was the use of Physics, does that mean were going to need Nvidia cards?

Also with the talk of keeping it playable on average machines, I hope that really implies that there will be quality scaling options so those of us with better machines can crank it up a bit. Its good to appeal to a wider audience but I would prefer to cut back on effects if performance was dipping rather than overall quality. Spell and combat effects really smash frame rates in raids etc, and games with options to limit those perform way better and usually look better as it ends up being a blinding flash of colors otherwise :)