Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Animal Taming

• 23 posts
    January 14, 2015 3:43 PM PST

I would love to see a true animal taming skill, where you can actually tame animals/monsters of the animal type and use them as combat pets, I have not seen a true animal taming skill since Ultima Online and I loved their animal taming system

• 9115 posts
    January 14, 2015 5:28 PM PST

This is an idea that I share as well, we will have to wait and see but I would enjoy a taming skill done properly too :)

• 311 posts
    January 14, 2015 5:45 PM PST

Sounds very interesting for a Druid.

• 9115 posts
    January 14, 2015 5:50 PM PST
    Kazingathi said:

Or a Ranger or a Shaman or a Necro (muahahahaha)

• 378 posts
    January 14, 2015 5:51 PM PST

Can a Dwarf have a tame Elf ? 

• 311 posts
    January 14, 2015 6:03 PM PST

Necros get undead I might share a rabbit or something with the ranga lol.

• 453 posts
    January 15, 2015 1:38 AM PST
    Kilsin said:
    Kazingathi said:

Or a Ranger or a Shaman or a Necro (muahahahaha)

Hellz to the Yeahz ! 

• 610 posts
    January 15, 2015 1:47 AM PST

Never really played WoW but couldnt Rangers there (or hunters I think they were called) tame animals?

• 366 posts
    January 15, 2015 4:55 AM PST
    Sevens said:

Never really played WoW but couldnt Rangers there (or hunters I think they were called) tame animals?

Yes part of the fun of having a hunter in WoW is there is a plethora of animals you can tame.  You may find this gallery of pets interesting: http://www.wow-petopia.com/browse/gallery.html

EQ2's beastlords can also tame animals: http://eq2wire.com/2011/12/07/beastlords-frequently-asked-questions/

This post was edited by Zarriya at January 16, 2015 5:34 AM PST
    • 180 posts
    January 15, 2015 7:31 AM PST

I really dislike the idea of rangers being stuck as a pet class. Hopefully Pantheon will at least allow for different types of rangers through AA's.

• 180 posts
    January 15, 2015 7:33 AM PST

BTW I love the idea of taming animals I just prefer my rangers to be different then WoW Hunters or GW2 Rangers. I prefer Everquest 1 where I could be more melee or Ranged depending on how I built my ranger with AA's.

• 23 posts
    January 15, 2015 7:43 AM PST

heres the hting though what I am suggesting is not that a ranger or a druid or a rogue or a necro become the animal tamer but rather that animal taming become a skill ANY class can learn like blacksmithing or any other crafting skill so basically you have 3 diff types of skills

crafting - traditional blacksmith,tailor etc

adventuring animal tamer, cartographer, fisherman, jeweller

combat mage rogue assassin 

Zarriya said:

Sevens said:

Yes part of the fun of having a hunter in WoW is there is a plethora of animals you can tame.  You may find this gallery of pets interesting: http://www.wow-petopia.com/browse/gallery.html

EQ2's beastlords can also tame animals: http://eq2wire.com/2011/12/07/beastlords-frequently-asked-questions/

right but they can only tame certain types of animals, what I am interested in and would like to see is the ability to tame pretty much all wildlife creature types so that if I feel like walking around roleplaying as a shephard I could have a sheep companion, a hunter I could have a wolf companion, etc etc

http://www.uoguide.com/Tameables

This post was edited by Dasilva at January 16, 2015 5:34 AM PST
    • 132 posts
    January 15, 2015 7:59 AM PST

I approve

• 57 posts
    November 18, 2020 7:17 PM PST

Could we add mounts as well as pets for training.   Give people the option to have animals not available in cities.  Possibly crafted mount gear to colour coordinate with armour sets.

Just an idea,

• 2144 posts
    November 18, 2020 8:07 PM PST

Tahoe said: Could we add mounts as well as pets for training.

OUCH! You've stepped on a land mine ROFL.

Mounts are one of those HIGHLY controversial subjects that could get you lynched :) I think it would derail the interesting idea of taming to try to include the subject of mounts within it.

• 5 posts
    November 18, 2020 8:30 PM PST

Star Wars Galaxies had a very nice animal taming system.  You had to find a baby animal, lure it away from the adults, and then tame it.  In time, it became an adult.  One of my most favorite gaming memories was sneaking through a dark, foggy forest looking for a baby Rancor.  I got killed a few times when I was caught by an adult, but eventually got my pet.

• 39 posts
    November 18, 2020 8:45 PM PST

Jothany said:

Tahoe said: Could we add mounts as well as pets for training.

OUCH! You've stepped on a land mine ROFL.

Mounts are one of those HIGHLY controversial subjects that could get you lynched :) I think it would derail the interesting idea of taming to try to include the subject of mounts within it.

To be honest i think the idea of taming animals as the ONLY way to get a mount is an interesting idea. BUT those mounts should be both killable and not revivable.

• 2144 posts
    November 18, 2020 8:51 PM PST

Sagrada said: To be honest i think the idea of taming animals as the ONLY way to get a mount is an interesting idea. BUT those mounts should be both killable and not revivable.

See, it's starting! LoL

This post was edited by Jothany at November 18, 2020 8:52 PM PST
    • 690 posts
    November 19, 2020 8:19 AM PST

If I tame a fairy will it let me levitate if I believe?

• 334 posts
    November 19, 2020 6:12 PM PST

Zandil said:Can a Dwarf have a tame Elf ?
    Can a Dwarf be a Necro? sorry, lol, you mad me laugh. Yes, what Slyde said; that would be nice.

• 810 posts
    November 20, 2020 1:31 AM PST

I am so torn with this question. I really love the idea behind the hunter in WoW taming an animal or raising the dead to fight for you as a necromancer.  Aiming for the right creatures to bring back for what you want to do.  I really hope they do not open it up to all classes though.  I really don't want to see an army of bear/drake companions or whatever it will be.  5 summoners and 5 bears and 10 elementals...  Even though I think it would be a massive divergence from where I think the game is going, my pet loving self really wants to see it.  It's like the allure of speeding, I know I am not the best driver and eventually it would end horribly with at the very least a massive ticket, but there is always a part of you that just wants to floor it. 

Followup question: Only let us capture mounts, as in, no combat pets?

I would be totally onboard with out of combat "mounts" that help do different things  / go different places.  The pack dog that helps alert us to creatures trying to sneak around but doesn't carry nearly as much as the pack mule.  The bear who can climb a bit of terrain.  The horse who can travel long flat distances well.  Mounts more adapted to various climates.  I would love capturing mounts / pack animals. 

This post was edited by Jobeson at November 20, 2020 1:36 AM PST
    • 57 posts
    November 21, 2020 2:07 AM PST

Jothany said:

Sagrada said: To be honest i think the idea of taming animals as the ONLY way to get a mount is an interesting idea. BUT those mounts should be both killable and not revivable.

See, it's starting! LoL

LOL, I was hoping it would not be such a hotbed issue.  I have just found that some times animals/companions have made a huge impact on the fantasy genre. 

• Guenhwyvar with Drizzt
    • Faran and Sparhawk
    • Bella and most of the WOT characters

If done well they could add the depth to some characters similar to an iconic weapon/armor or tragic backstory.

• 56 posts
    November 21, 2020 5:09 PM PST

There was a short lived MMO called 'Wish'.

I think it was during the gold rush days pre - WoW whern there was no universal standard for MMOs.

Wish was skill based, very open world and allowed for...well, let's just say I accidentally became a full plate wearing wrestling necromancer that had tamed and commanded a heard of chickens. Not what I had planned but apparently this is what I became organically.

Anyone else remember that?

That's all. Fun stuff.

This post was edited by Kyridel at November 21, 2020 5:11 PM PST
    • 810 posts
    November 21, 2020 6:30 PM PST
    @Kyridel "I accidentally became a full plate wearing wrestling necromancer that had tamed and commanded a heard of chickens"

The defining moment thread needs you.

I hope Pantheon can avoid this, but I hope we can spread your greatness as the world needs to know.
    • 1404 posts
    November 22, 2020 10:47 PM PST

Love the idea of taming pets, but I'm not really ready to get on board with it being something for multiple classes. On the surface that sounds too "everybody doing everything" for me.

I think it would be better to implement it as a class itself like the WoW Hunter. The whole class (whatever they would choose to call it, Hunter or Handler sounds fine to me, ) Choosing, Hunting, and then Taming pets would be great as the defining feature of a class for an expansion.