Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Game Looks Great

• 1 posts
    July 24, 2024 4:20 PM PDT
    The game is looking so good, so much like the original EQ feel, well done all, can't wait to play!
  • August 1, 2024 7:51 PM PDT

this game truly rocks

• 11 posts
    August 14, 2024 4:37 PM PDT

It is great! you'll love it

• 234 posts
    August 16, 2024 3:17 AM PDT

You’ll enjoy the game a lot! And the in-game community has been wonderful. I have been helped countless times by strangers.

• 2 posts
    August 16, 2024 4:26 AM PDT

I logged in for the first time a few hours ago and the vibe took me back.  Buffs at the central hangout, ooc chat full of fun and helpful people.  I never realized how much I missed such a community.

• 58 posts
    August 17, 2024 7:40 AM PDT

Nostalgia is a powerful drug. I think this game looks like EQ2 and WoW had a baby, which they could because they're both in their 20s.  The original EQ graphics were ultra-blocky and choppy even on a Voodoo2 SLIc GPU.

• 580 posts
    August 20, 2024 11:44 AM PDT

I've tried several times to go back and play EQ on the P99 servers.  I just can't get past how they changed things.  It's such a fine line between having the secret sauce and completely spoiling it.  A big part of it is simply the graphics, but UI changes, rule changes...  It all incrementally adds up.  Nostalgia is 3/4 how we remember things and maybe 1/4 reality.  Official EQ for me ended 20 years ago, but it ended because they kept messing with a magical recipe.  They weren't content to simply add content.

If a game is fun, it doesn't have to look great.  Look at the popularity of games like Minecraft or Valheim.  Once you get immersed, a sea monster is a sea monster, whether it's comprised of 1K pixels or 100x that.  If you don't get immersed, it doesn't matter what the graphics look like, you won't be playing it for long.

This post was edited by Celandor at August 20, 2024 11:47 AM PDT
    • 911 posts
    August 20, 2024 12:41 PM PDT

One size does not fit all. For some, the graphics are very important and just as important for immersion as game play. It is great if you only need the game play for immersion but assuming this is the same for everyone is a bit blinkered. 

Some people find pen and paper enough for immersion, others are more visually oriented and need graphics that are not simplistic or jarring. 

EQ graphics were a product of their time. Today, more is expected by the mainstream.

For me it is 55/45 between game play and graphics.  For me, more work is needed for both sides of this equation but the bone and muscles are there. Just needs brains, skin and dressing.