Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Does the writers strike open a door for skilled writers?

• 810 posts
    June 27, 2023 7:33 PM PDT

I would assume Pantheon is not impacted by the writers strike, most games are not WGA. I imagine there a plethora of skilled struggling writers to hire. From item descriptions to populating the libraries to dialogue is the strike a blessing in disguise for VR?

Edit: Really should have said more skilled writers :( I did like the last lore entry I promise lol

This post was edited by Jobeson at June 29, 2023 7:12 AM PDT
    • 194 posts
    June 28, 2023 6:11 AM PDT

The point of a strike is to enrich the quality of life for workers, sometimes even when you're currently in a position of benefit. I doubt anyone who has decided to strike is going to betray their profession to write item descriptions in a game.

• 947 posts
    June 28, 2023 7:02 AM PDT

justdrop said:

The point of a strike is to enrich the quality of life for workers, sometimes even when you're currently in a position of benefit. I doubt anyone who has decided to strike is going to betray their profession to write item descriptions in a game.

This ^

Although its not illegal, it could be considered "immoral" to apply for a position that workers were on strike for in any industry, and would likely get a person blacklisted by others within that industry.  

With that said, I didn't know about a strike, and I have no idea why personnel would be on strike when writing for a crowdfunded game... sounds sus to me.

• 1285 posts
    June 28, 2023 10:58 AM PDT

The writers strike likely does not apply to indie companies or crowdfunded projects, etc.  It would be anyone that is in the writers guild of america.  Not "all writers." 

I don't know who is all in the writers guild but it's mainly screenwriters for movies and tv shows. 

• VR Staff
    • 167 posts
    June 28, 2023 11:07 AM PDT
    If an industry is not covered by the WGA (like video games) there’s no crossing of lines. It’s not immoral or bad juju. Currently, considered separate… so all would be good.
    • VR Staff
    • 167 posts
    June 28, 2023 11:14 AM PDT
    That said “ Maybe you didn't hear about it, you've been away for a long time, they didn't go up there and tell you. I don't shine shoes any more.”
    • 810 posts
    June 28, 2023 4:20 PM PDT
    I don't see how it's crossing the line, the AMPTP strike is against just that one union group. WGA writers are still writing books, articles, etc. If anything it would be helping writers make ends meet during the strike. I assume VR would pay more than being a waiter.
    • 3852 posts
    June 29, 2023 5:09 AM PDT

" I doubt anyone who has decided to strike is going to betray their profession to write item descriptions in a game."

I can see an argument that someone who works for a company against whom a strike is directed is betraying something. The labor movement, maybe. This argument gets stronger if they are in the union that is conducting the strike - betrayal does seem like an appropriate word. But working for a company that has nothing to do with the strike is hardly a betrayal by anyone of anything. 

• 2053 posts
    June 29, 2023 2:52 PM PDT

The biggest drawback I see for a striking writer to take a 'side job' with VR is that there's no telling when the strike would be over. If a writer were to sign a contract to perform a specific task for VR, then find out  a few days later that the strike was over, they would need to go back to work - to keep their job - yet still be obligated to produce the work that they had contracted for with VR. I doubt any company, including VR, would like to make a contract that included "if your stike ends, you can just quit this job and we'll hire someone else to do it".

• 342 posts
    July 12, 2023 7:26 AM PDT
    I just feel bad for them. They're the only group that MUST picket with blank signs. Do pictographs count? They do in my mind...