Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Forum re-organization?

• 724 posts
    June 8, 2023 11:32 PM PDT

When I'm not logged in, I only see three sub forums (lore, crafting? and something else). Even when logged in, there are other forums missing (like all the class and race sub-forums).

Is my access bugged somehow? Or is this a sign...is the long awaited forum re-organization finally coming? :)

• 1285 posts
    June 9, 2023 6:50 AM PDT

I think I'd call it consolidation and clean up probably.  Your access isn't bugged :)

• 1921 posts
    June 9, 2023 6:59 AM PDT

Definite change without any notification in the past week.

• 342 posts
    June 9, 2023 12:32 PM PDT

I see how it is, Sarim.  Fan fiction section isn't even worth remembering in your post?  Is that where we fall?  All the DnD nerds are picking on us for being nerds???  I guess I can't argue...

• 724 posts
    June 9, 2023 1:38 PM PDT

I will openly admit I rarely look into that subforum...sorry :)

But the choice which forums you see when not logged in is quite strange IMO. The three displayed subforums (Keepers Vault, Keepings of Castigue and Fan Fiction) kind of make sense. There's no true discussion there, only lore and story. But I would've expected at least "News and Announcements" also...you want your potential visitors to know about the state of the game, newsletters etc, right?

• 9115 posts
    June 9, 2023 3:45 PM PDT

As you can see, we've cleaned up and consolidated the forums a fair bit, like we have Discord. We're having an issue with removing those three subforums and are waiting for the backend database changes to, hopefully, allow us to remove them, but the view will change to allow public forums to be viewed even when logged out.

@Benonai Fan fiction needs to be removed so we can use Fan creations as a place for all fan work. please save and report anything you like to that subforum.

• 438 posts
    June 12, 2023 8:55 AM PDT
    I’m curious if the class specific forums will be back.
    • 9115 posts
    June 12, 2023 3:27 PM PDT

Mordecai said: I’m curious if the class specific forums will be back.

Unlikely unless there is a specific need for them. There was such low traffic to those subforums that using a general class subforum makes more sense.

• 888 posts
    June 14, 2023 4:38 PM PDT

Mordecai said: I’m curious if the class specific forums will be back.

I was surprised they ever even created them since there's not much to discuss when the game's in Pre-Alpha and all existing testers are under a NDA.  

When Pantheon launches, I would expect them to return. 

• 394 posts
    June 15, 2023 11:09 AM PDT

There's still talk of a new forum site as well, most likely 2.0 will include sub forums and they'll split it down from there.

• 200 posts
    June 19, 2023 11:37 PM PDT

Hello,

i noticed, that if you log out of the forums then the majority of it is not visible anymore, except the fanfiction-area. IMHO it is not a good idea to lock out the people. If someone wants more informations about the game then it is not possible to read the discussions here.

Ceers

• 9115 posts
    June 20, 2023 3:57 AM PDT

Larirawiel said:

Hello,

i noticed, that if you log out of the forums then the majority of it is not visible anymore, except the fanfiction-area. IMHO it is not a good idea to lock out the people. If someone wants more informations about the game then it is not possible to read the discussions here.

Ceers

This should have been rectified, are you still not able to see general forums etc?

• 1921 posts
    June 20, 2023 6:24 AM PDT

For almost two weeks, this is the Public (not-logged-in) view of your forums:

https://i.postimg.cc/nVg2NZZh/image.png

It's also more than a little disconcerting that youd don't know this, given this is the Public view, and has been for so long.
    Why don't you have a service checker set up to alert, alarm, notify if the forums aren't the way they should be?  This is step one for any kind of Production service monitoring.  It's ~8 lines of Python.

• 200 posts
    June 20, 2023 11:13 AM PDT

Yep, same here:

https://ibb.co/yF4fBF6

Cheers

• 888 posts
    June 21, 2023 10:08 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

As you can see, we've cleaned up and consolidated the forums a fair bit, like we have Discord. We're having an issue with removing those three subforums and are waiting for the backend database changes to, hopefully, allow us to remove them, but the view will change to allow public forums to be viewed even when logged out.

@Benonai Fan fiction needs to be removed so we can use Fan creations as a place for all fan work. please save and report anything you like to that subforum.

I wish the old forums would have been still viewable in a read-only form rather than deleted.  And not just because it rolled back our post counts.  There were lots of ideas / suggestions in those threads that can help inspire everyone working on the game.  

• 2419 posts
    June 21, 2023 11:45 AM PDT

I just dont get all this.  You've actually made the forums worse by consolidating things.  Seriously, what was wrong with having separate class and race boards?  Was it really that much of a problem?  All you've done in make finding of information more difficult.

• 295 posts
    June 24, 2023 6:58 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

I just dont get all this.  You've actually made the forums worse by consolidating things.  Seriously, what was wrong with having separate class and race boards?  Was it really that much of a problem?  All you've done in make finding of information more difficult.

I can agree with this. I liked the different class and race boards. 

• 78 posts
    June 24, 2023 8:18 PM PDT

I can agree with this. I liked the different class and race boards. 

Maybe they did this so you wouldn't have sections with no new topics in over 4 months, this way it makes it look like more than 10 folks post here.

• 3852 posts
    June 25, 2023 7:44 AM PDT

Someone had mentioned this as a negative a while back and one of the VR people agreed. So I think you may have hit it on the head.

• 219 posts
    June 25, 2023 4:24 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

I'm kind of with this as well.

I get there was low traffic, but it was because there wasn't much to talk about. There's a bit more to talk about now as you guys are doing some of the PTV and stuff on classes. Like after the Healer and Tank ones, there are things to talk about there.

For so long, all we got was "Rogue, Rogue, Rogue, Shaman, Rogue, Rogue, Shaman, Rogue, Dire Lored, Rogue,", there was little to discuss for most classes, and not much for anything that wasn't Rogue. :) (Gee, I wonder if anyone's favorite class is Rogue... <_< )

But there's increasingly more to discuss now. The general class forum was nice for discussions that crossed classes or were for ideas people had about new/later expansion classes and stuff.

I dunno, I'm not super jaded about it or anything, but I think you had them when you didn't need them and now that you've removed them, it's just when you need to actually have them. It's like a person carrying a rope with them on an adventure then finally throwing it away to save weight and running across a sheer cliff they need to climb down two days later.

• VR Staff
    • 530 posts
    June 27, 2023 12:51 PM PDT

I prefer things clean and condensed to keep track of conversation. If traffic gets to a point where it feels overwhelming, we can always add forums.

• 2419 posts
    June 27, 2023 1:53 PM PDT

Savanja said:

I prefer things clean and condensed to keep track of conversation. If traffic gets to a point where it feels overwhelming, we can always add forums.

But you already had separate forums where it was easy to keep things clean and condensed within the separate forums to track coversations. 

• 520 posts
    June 27, 2023 2:58 PM PDT

I preferred old version as well, i miss the most the separate classes and races forums. I haven't browse too much, but do I understand correctly that many topics were thrown away altogether? If so that would be a shame - this is Pantheons history and should be put in the "Archive" subforum. Not to mention that putting resources on the forum "clean up" at this point is just a waste.

• VR Staff
    • 530 posts
    June 27, 2023 3:18 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

Savanja said:

But you already had separate forums where it was easy to keep things clean and condensed within the separate forums to track coversations. 

And now I have fewer separate forums to keep things clean and condensed to track conversation.

• 2419 posts
    June 27, 2023 4:57 PM PDT

Sigh...the forums aren't about you.  They are about your players being able to communicate effectively.  Someone wanting to specifically follow discussions about a specific race or class now can't do that eastily.  Sure, you can click the 'send me notifications' box but who wants to be spammed with all the topics a person might be following?  VR has a bunch of moderators on their discord. Get some to do that here so we can keep the seperate boards.