Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

• 1584 posts
    April 20, 2023 9:38 PM PDT

Now i know this probably not going to happen but i thought it would be quite a cool idea, at least to me.

Instead of mount granting you Movement speed they were essentially your extra bag space, like you're character can only hold one back pack and your mount carried your other ones(as i find it a little weird you're charcter using 6-8 bag at the same time.)

and they're would be different types of mounts, like mounts that are designed for cave/castles/dungeons and the such, and the Caravan types which can only be used in the open world(like karana's in EQ)

and with the ones that can be used in caves can't be summoned until you set up camp or something(or within city limits)in this nature that why you have to loot carefully while heading towards your destination, now I know this sounds like why even bother, but i think having the character only being able to use one backpack just makes more sense to me, and have the dungeon mount be able to use 2(kind of like a satchel but slightly bigger,) and have the caravan size mounts be able to like 4 to 6.

And I get it most people might not like this idea, but I think it sounds like a pretty cool feature and a twist to mounts that i cant think of another game doing(though i could easily be wrong.)  

What are your thoughts?

This post was edited by Cealtric at April 20, 2023 9:41 PM PDT
    • 810 posts
    April 20, 2023 9:52 PM PDT
    With how mounts will be more temporary / time limited I don't think this will fit the idea.

If mounts were permanent I'd love to go harvesting with the pack animal, but it sounds like we will ride our mount ~10 mins from the stables to get where we want to be, then we are on foot or taming wild mounts to get around.

PantheonMMO says no to the horse pocket.
    • 888 posts
    April 21, 2023 12:54 AM PDT

It's a good idea, but for a different game. With how integral climbing is to pantheon, having a mount that you have to leave behind would make it too limiting.

• 1584 posts
    April 21, 2023 7:33 AM PDT

Counterfleche said:

It's a good idea, but for a different game. With how integral climbing is to pantheon, having a mount that you have to leave behind would make it too limiting.

Well my idea is that once you set up camp they could be summoned, and they wouldn't stay permanently cause honestly if you're in a camp that is pretty tight in space, the last thing you want is a full group of mounts taking up the rest of the space that was already very limited.

• 520 posts
    April 21, 2023 1:29 PM PDT

I wouldnt mind if we could have a pack mule, that could be summoned either only in the camp or anywhere outside. I'm not a fan of carrying multiple bags at the same time as well - so I'd like to see either pack mule + normal bag OR one big/expendable bag.

• 727 posts
    April 22, 2023 2:57 AM PDT

Maybe there could be "the incredibly unwieldily, ridiculous large bag of holding". A large sack, bigger than 3 Ogres, you would have to drag it behind you.  It slows you down to half your speed and rips if it gets caught upon a rock or branch. It can hold almost everything, including the egos of Halflings and small buildings.

Edit: the above can be taken as sarcastic, but my intention was otherwise.

I'll explain - if the world is indeed large and travel not exactly easy, then having the option to gather/mine/collect/loot large quantities of items beyond your personal carrying capacity is an understandable desire. A small group could have a large bag to use that would half the speed of the person pulling it along.  This would save more time than making 2 trips at normal speed. It would also be relatively easy to animate and code in, relative to animating a pack animal.  The group would have to shepherd the member pulling the sack. The sack can be dropped or abandoned. The sack can be looted after x time just like a corpse.  [ I was not serious about "small buildings"]

This post was edited by StoneFish at April 22, 2023 8:57 AM PDT
    • 520 posts
    April 22, 2023 5:10 AM PDT

StoneFish said:

Maybe there could be "the incredibly unwieldily, ridiculous large bag of holding". A large sack, bigger than 3 Ogres, you would have to drag it behind you.  It slows you down to half your speed and rips if it gets caught upon a rock or branch. It can hold almost everything, including the egos of Halflings and small buildings.  

No need for sarcasm. I get that large bags can be as much unrealistic as multiple bags inside another in most settings, but it doesn't apply in the fantasy world where you can explain most things with "magic". And although bottomless bag is as much plausible in this situation as multiple bags in one another, but between the two one bag is much easier to menage and later optimise for some other functions like search or group.

• 3852 posts
    April 22, 2023 8:18 AM PDT

" the egos of Halflings and small buildings. "

Why not *really* get ambitious and have a bag that can hold the egos of warehouses?

• 77 posts
    April 22, 2023 9:51 AM PDT

I get the idea, I liked that my cat in torchlight could hold/sell items for me while I was in a dungeon.

The reason why I don't think they would implement this is because it negates part of the penalty of death.  We already start off by having our equiped items after death but our bags stay on the corpse.  If at some point, for whatever reason, people do not care about regaining xp as much then the only reason to get your body bag are those bags full of loot on your corpse. 

It is a lot easier to think about the time involved on a corpse run vs time to just get the xp back and say meh, it is just not worth the time.  Item loss is a lot more difficult to ignore.

• 2419 posts
    April 22, 2023 3:21 PM PDT

Riahuf22 said:

Instead of mount granting you Movement speed they were essentially your extra bag space, like you're character can only hold one back pack and your mount carried your other ones(as i find it a little weird you're charcter using 6-8 bag at the same time.)

Back in the long long ago, before the dark times (circa 2013-2014) the concept of a pack mule was talked about by Brad quite a lot. The pack mule would act a mobile secure storage.  The reasoning for a pack mule was that one limiting factor facing many people is the lack of overall carrying capacity, forcing you to go back to town sometimes daily.  Such forced returns cut into adventuring time and Brad stated he wanted people out in the world for longer periods of time. Your pack mule would be a persistent creature (not summoned/unsummoned) that you could 'tie up' to trees or pay for stabling in outposts, villages or cities.  Creatures would not attack it, players could not damage. It was, effectively, a mobile bank.  It was an idea I really supported and was quite saddened when the idea was thrown out.

• 233 posts
    April 22, 2023 10:22 PM PDT

Mounts ideally should be for getting around the world in ways you cant on your own.
    If it was me id have mounts that climb faster.

Mounts that jump and mounts that glide, not fly.

Also mounts that swim.

This way they have  use and purpose and also let you move faster.

As for adding bag space, im not fussed either way, its not a negative so it should be added.

• 3852 posts
    April 23, 2023 7:00 AM PDT

"its not a negative so it should be added."

Interesting close to this post. I pick this to respond to because while it makes a lot of sense my view is precisely the opposite. We don't want any more delays than we can avoid and the less the developers have to focus on the better a job they will do on each element and on evaluating the relationship between elements and how they relate to the game's core principles. So, rather, how about:

if it isn't a positive it shouldn't be added.

This post was edited by dorotea at April 23, 2023 7:00 AM PDT
    • 1584 posts
    April 23, 2023 4:17 PM PDT

dorotea said:

"its not a negative so it should be added."

Interesting close to this post. I pick this to respond to because while it makes a lot of sense my view is precisely the opposite. We don't want any more delays than we can avoid and the less the developers have to focus on the better a job they will do on each element and on evaluating the relationship between elements and how they relate to the game's core principles. So, rather, how about:

if it isn't a positive it shouldn't be added.

I now this was towards Grim, but i said in the beginning i knew it wasn't going to get added, it was just an idea i had and just wanted to post it.  Plus i agree, i just want to play the game and adding in a new feature like this would delay it more, though i still like the idea.

• 1584 posts
    April 23, 2023 5:36 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

Riahuf22 said:

Back in the long long ago, before the dark times (circa 2013-2014) the concept of a pack mule was talked about by Brad quite a lot. The pack mule would act a mobile secure storage.  The reasoning for a pack mule was that one limiting factor facing many people is the lack of overall carrying capacity, forcing you to go back to town sometimes daily.  Such forced returns cut into adventuring time and Brad stated he wanted people out in the world for longer periods of time. Your pack mule would be a persistent creature (not summoned/unsummoned) that you could 'tie up' to trees or pay for stabling in outposts, villages or cities.  Creatures would not attack it, players could not damage. It was, effectively, a mobile bank.  It was an idea I really supported and was quite saddened when the idea was thrown out.

Oh, I actually didn't know this was an idea why back than, yeah now I'm sad it got cut from the game, would of been a cool feature for sure.

• 3852 posts
    April 24, 2023 6:24 AM PDT

My comment was purely on the philosophy of game development it had nothing to do with the suggestions in this thread. 

To the extent mounts are temporary that would put a crimp in the idea of using them for storage. On the other hand, we do have personal bags, and it woulld not be impossible to call one of them a saddle and have it available while we were mounted.

• 233 posts
    May 16, 2023 1:51 AM PDT

Mounts need to add a speed increase, I know folk are like "enjoy the world"   "enjoy the journey"

I'm always thinking ten years ahead, that map and zone you love now, you wont give a damn about in years to come, you just want to get where you're going as fast as you can.

• 520 posts
    May 16, 2023 6:15 AM PDT

Grimseethe said:

Mounts need to add a speed increase, I know folk are like "enjoy the world"   "enjoy the journey"

I'm always thinking ten years ahead, that map and zone you love now, you wont give a damn about in years to come, you just want to get where you're going as fast as you can.

Ten years after launch the game will be after multiple expansions during which there will be changes in the functionality of many things - adding a speed buff on mounts is a thing that can be done in an update made in minutes. 

• 3852 posts
    May 16, 2023 7:57 AM PDT

It will take a LOT less than 10 years for people to stop enjoying the scenery on a path they have gone back and forth on 50 times. Maybe a week at most. If VR does not want to give a speed increase they might be wise to pattern mounts on an animal that is well known to be slow and to be used to carry things not for speed - or fighting. Such as a mule. Giving us horses and not having them faster than we are could be justified - it is a magical world where things are different - but it would be very jarring to new players.

• 1404 posts
    May 17, 2023 7:17 AM PDT

Counterfleche said:

I don't understand your reasoning here, stairway, elevator, hallways are all pretty integral to my life, that doesn't seem to make my truck too limiting.

I simply need to remember to go back and get it.