Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Recurring theme of goofiness or am i overreacting?

• 233 posts
    April 16, 2023 11:31 PM PDT

Hi, i was watching Cohh play and i noticed two things i didnt like.

First the skeletons cackle is really goofy and annoying, its sound like the cackle they would have if disney made them.

Second there is an NPC, a giant named Fuzzruckus, this is just silly, it takes you out of the game reading it, sounds like it straight out of a mickey mouse cartoon.

It probably doesnt sound like a big deal, but if these things are goofy what esle is that i havent seen yet.

Everyone here is an adult with a few exceptions, please keep the world mature and scary, its filled with undead and monsters, but these sounds and names remove any aspect of fear or intimidation.
    I'm not saying the world has to be all doom and gloom, I love humour as much as the next guy, but it has to be done right.

Does anyone remember when Elder Scolls online released their Orgim models, and they looked terrible, like disney made them, this is your version of that, the ESO community was so happy when that got fixed.

Probably sounds like im complaining over nothing but if you ever played WoW or LOTRO, two of my fav zones are Duskwood and Barrow Downs, both zones would be terrible if the skeletons cackled like disney witches, or were named fuzzruckes...

Thanks for listening.

• 724 posts
    April 17, 2023 12:09 AM PDT

The skeleton cackle is totally EQ-ish, I love it personally. Maybe it can be reduced tho to only occur if the skeleton lands a critical hit on you or something :)

Side note: I'm just playing EQ again, as an enchanter, and I have some "combat innate" illusions. One of these is the "scarecrow" illusion which adds +DEX and a lifetap proc. The illusion is great, but unfortunately the scarecrow also has a "laugh" that it does...with every attack. And as an enchanter, I have very good haste spells...meaning this laugh is coming in a constant stream! It's so bad that I can't use this illusion anymore. So yeah, I would love if the laugh only occured with a critical hit or something like that.

On the name topic, I kind of agree. "Scary" mobs should have fitting scary names. But then there could be outliers, recognizable by their differing names...maybe they even get shunned by their own kind?

• 150 posts
    April 17, 2023 4:56 AM PDT

Grimseethe said:Everyone here is an adult with a few exceptions, please keep the world mature and scary, its filled with undead and monsters, but these sounds and names remove any aspect of fear or intimidation.

I'm not saying the world has to be all doom and gloom, I love humour as much as the next guy, but it has to be done right.

Of the same opinion overall. Humorous stuff can definitely work but in the right setting. I wouldn't want a game world that didn't have any, but at the same time, prefer when it's used sparingly. I would rather developers erred on the side of caution, using less instead of more by default because it can undermine the intended affect of an area, like one of those background mistakes in a film, distracting from the scene.

Sarim said:

The skeleton cackle is totally EQ-ish, I love it personally. Maybe it can be reduced tho to only occur if the skeleton lands a critical hit on you or something :)

Neat idea. Even longtime EQ fans complain about the sounds some the mobs make, specifically in groups/on raids because it happens when they attack or are attacked (constantly). If the more obnoxious noises were kept to a minimum, based on certain attacks landing, that would probably go a long way.

• 727 posts
    April 17, 2023 5:25 AM PDT

Skelly sounds great to me.   A large fellow in the tale of Robin Hood is named Tiny.  I suspect you will be able to maintain your sense of a fantasy hero when you are playing.  The emersion break will be the moment you fart and others on the discord channel comment on the volume transmitted over the mic. 

• 372 posts
    April 17, 2023 6:19 AM PDT

Grimseethe said:

Hi, i was watching Cohh play and i noticed two things i didnt like.

First the skeletons cackle is really goofy and annoying, its sound like the cackle they would have if disney made them.

Second there is an NPC, a giant named Fuzzruckus, this is just silly, it takes you out of the game reading it, sounds like it straight out of a mickey mouse cartoon.

It probably doesnt sound like a big deal, but if these things are goofy what esle is that i havent seen yet.

Everyone here is an adult with a few exceptions, please keep the world mature and scary, its filled with undead and monsters, but these sounds and names remove any aspect of fear or intimidation.

Does anyone remember when Elder Scolls online released their Orgim models, and they looked terrible, like disney made them, this is your version of that, the ESO community was so happy when that got fixed.

Probably sounds like im complaining over nothing but if you ever played WoW or LOTRO, two of my fav zones are Duskwood and Barrow Downs, both zones would be terrible if the skeletons cackled like disney witches, or were named fuzzruckes...

Thanks for listening.

No, you're good. I want some goofy in the game.  So you don't want it?  That's fine. You're not overreacting at all. You should be able to come to the forums and say you don't like how something looks or sounds. I posted in the ogres forum that I thought ogres were too serious looking. It doesn't really matter if anyone agrees with me there (or you here), discussing the game is what we're here to do. So keep posting your feedback!  

I like the skeletons a lot because they remind me of an older game.  If I had no experience prior to PRotF I'd probably think the audio was a strange choice. My view is I don't want PRotF to be too serious and miss opportunities for fun and light-hearted content.  Yours can totally be different.  A lot can change between now and release. 

This post was edited by Tigersin at April 17, 2023 6:22 AM PDT
    • 2752 posts
    April 17, 2023 11:46 AM PDT

Sarim said:

I like this idea. I love having the cackle in the game and the idea of a skeleton taunting the player with a laugh when scoring a critical seems great. 

• 2419 posts
    April 17, 2023 12:26 PM PDT

That sound appears to coincide with a magic attack. What else is needed?  It isn't like the skeleton is cackling non-stop.

• 1285 posts
    April 17, 2023 1:00 PM PDT

I actually like the skeleton cackle as well.  It's fun to get laughed at and then show them who's really boss by smashing their bones to dust!

Fuzzruckus might be a joke, I'm really not sure lol.  I do think it's funny to have a troll under a bridge though...and he is fuzzy looking!

But, to answer your question, I think there is a good balance between horror, scary, and a little comic relief.  If it's overdone my eye sockets get tired from all the eye rolling.  But just enough and my eyes get the perfect workout.  

• 888 posts
    April 17, 2023 1:16 PM PDT

I didn't really hear the laugh well enough but I'm generally open to some levels of cartoon villainy, provided it's not overly used or too obnoxious. I like some whimsical elements,  though I do hope they aren't evenly spread out. I'm hoping for a lot more near the Halflings and a lot less on Reignfall. I do want some exceptions,  though. 

There could be a couple silly elements near Skargol that all Skar NPCs complain about and a couple dour elements near the Halflings which they all complain about.

The name Fuzzruckus is sillyish, but I like it and it sound fairly normal for a MMO. Of course, part of how well the name fits is what the NPC is actually like. If he's hairless and mellow, that name could be derived as an ironic nickname.  Keep in mind, many NPCs might be known by nicknames and have different,  more serious real names.

Perhaps we can get a Maniacal Villain trait which causes Joker-like uncontrolable laughter. Other traits could be Witty, which comes with clever dialog insults the NPC taunts us with.

This post was edited by Counterfleche at April 18, 2023 2:05 PM PDT
    • 2053 posts
    April 17, 2023 8:34 PM PDT

Grimseethe said: First the skeletons cackle is really goofy and annoying, its sound like the cackle they would have if disney made them. 

Totally agree. If they were skeletons who only appeared at Halloween, the cackle would be a perfect fit for the occasion. But if they are a reasonably common mob on Terminus, I can see getting VERY tired of hearing it over and over. Humor is something that definitely wears thin quickly with too much repetition. If I spend one whole day farming skellies for some quest drop, I will really not want to hear the cackle again. Ever.

• 888 posts
    April 18, 2023 2:10 PM PDT

I watched two more streams and, since I was actively listening for the cackle, I noticed it this time. I found it to be used too much. I kind of like it, but because of how prominent it is, it needs to be used far more sparingly. Like only have it trigger on initial aggro and in reaction to a player dying.

• 9115 posts
    April 18, 2023 6:11 PM PDT

The skelly cackle is paying homage to EQ, and the named troll is an early development joke (kind of...) to do with fuzzy trolls... It's all just a bit of fun.

• 1584 posts
    April 19, 2023 6:57 PM PDT

honestly if anything, make a volume mixer so you can hear combat music and enviroment music and things liek that, but make one for "skele's crackling" and the like have its own volume adjustment so you can just turn it down or off(you're decision) that why the ones that thing its a little over the top can just mute it.  Me personally i liked the critical hit one, and eq skele noises dont bother me, but i can see how it could be too much for some people.

• 77 posts
    April 20, 2023 12:31 PM PDT

dunno if I would call it goofy, the skellies reminded me immediately of EQ.  Like if the the wolves went "woof woof ...woof woof"  over and over again. Or the repetitive owl in nektulos and super loud thunder that drove my husband crazy enough to get rid of the sound file.  I hope they add some more variation to the attack sounds and ambient noises, it did get very very repetitive in EQ.

As for the Fuzzruckus name ...I thought it was more to do with the intelligence of trolls.  Like he popped out fuzzy and caused a ruckus right off the bat...so the parents called him fuzzruckus.  I expect wierd/a little on the nose names for the races with lower intellegence...which would be amusing to the higher intellect races and could be seen as a bit goofy.  I don't think it is a bad goofy though.  

This post was edited by Nexira at April 20, 2023 12:35 PM PDT
    • 612 posts
    April 20, 2023 2:32 PM PDT

I don't think it is a bad goofy though.

It's never bad to be Goofy ;-p

• 520 posts
    April 21, 2023 3:35 PM PDT

Nexira said:

As for the Fuzzruckus name ...I thought it was more to do with the intelligence of trolls.  Like he popped out fuzzy and caused a ruckus right off the bat...so the parents called him fuzzruckus.  I expect wierd/a little on the nose names for the races with lower intellegence...which would be amusing to the higher intellect races and could be seen as a bit goofy.  I don't think it is a bad goofy though.  

Exactly! Dont expect Trolls to have names like  "Kilsin The Wise" or "Joppa The Sage" - even if they'll happen to troll us on occasion ;-)

As for the laugh I find it funny atm, but it'll get old and irritating after a while - i think extensive sound (as well as other options) sliders are a must - where we'll be able to not only turn on/off ambient sounds, but wheter or not (and how often) we hear npc voices - without turning off the sounds of their movement etc. I'd also want to disable my own character spell casting incantations and such - I may want to keep others to be better able to tell what is going on around me though.

• 9115 posts
    April 21, 2023 3:41 PM PDT

Hegenox said:

Nexira said:

Exactly! Dont expect Trolls to have names like  "Kilsin The Wise" or "Joppa The Sage" - even if they'll happen to troll us on occasion ;-)

As for the laugh I find it funny atm, but it'll get old and irritating after a while - i think extensive sound (as well as other options) sliders are a must - where we'll be able to not only turn on/off ambient sounds, but wheter or not (and how often) we hear npc voices - without turning off the sounds of their movement etc. I'd also want to disable my own character spell casting incantations and such - I may want to keep others to be better able to tell what is going on around me though.

Haha, me!? Never /shifty eyes :D

• 233 posts
    April 22, 2023 10:25 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

The skelly cackle is paying homage to EQ, and the named troll is an early development joke (kind of...) to do with fuzzy trolls... It's all just a bit of fun.

The people seem pretty split down the middle about not liking it too much or not minding it at all.
    Id personally cater to the former, as no one is going to complain about lack of silliness, especially since i imagine youl have some fun dialogue for us in places.

• 1285 posts
    April 23, 2023 8:23 AM PDT

The people seem to like it a lot, I doubt anyone would complain about having something silly from time to time   :P

• 20 posts
    May 19, 2023 6:40 PM PDT

StoneFish said:

A large fellow in the tale of Robin Hood is named Tiny. 

I think you mean Little, as in John Little. (little john). 

• 2138 posts
    May 24, 2023 7:57 AM PDT

I get the impression the OP is expressing distaste over the fuzzruckus name because they are making an association to the name Fuzzruckus in a similar way the movie "Idiocracy" presents an association to the restaurant name "Fuddruckers" (currently still in business). Personally, I understand the non-idiocracy-centric point of view or rather point of view taken at face value. But I also look forward to newbies emergently and naturally expressing frustration over said named troll with phrases that might become sayings or game-slang such as: "we got RuzzFu- " you get my drift. "We went up against Fuzzruckus, and, well, RuzzF-----us" That may even extend into later levels or even to later expansion dev feedback :"THings were going smoothly in that new 50 level multi group event until that broken mechanic after the Boss splits causing multiple AE's? really ruzzf---ed us. isn't it supposed to go at percentage health?"

• 233 posts
    June 5, 2023 12:35 AM PDT

Manouk said:

I get the impression the OP is expressing distaste over the fuzzruckus name because they are making an association to the name Fuzzruckus in a similar way the movie "Idiocracy" presents an association to the restaurant name "Fuddruckers" (currently still in business). Personally, I understand the non-idiocracy-centric point of view or rather point of view taken at face value. But I also look forward to newbies emergently and naturally expressing frustration over said named troll with phrases that might become sayings or game-slang such as: "we got RuzzFu- " you get my drift. "We went up against Fuzzruckus, and, well, RuzzF-----us" That may even extend into later levels or even to later expansion dev feedback :"THings were going smoothly in that new 50 level multi group event until that broken mechanic after the Boss splits causing multiple AE's? really ruzzf---ed us. isn't it supposed to go at percentage health?"

I play ESO and its the funniest MMO ive ever played, recently i completed a quest for a guy who wanted to get hit by a daedric creature, his journal has fantasies of being punished, the devs literally did a step on me mommy meme quest and it was hilarious.

Humour can be done so well and it is in ESO, but there are no annoying laughs and no creatures or npcs with overly silly names.

• 295 posts
    June 16, 2023 8:57 PM PDT

I'm not a fan of too much humor in games or much humor at all in games that I think or that it apprears to take itself seriously. As I never played EQ, I cannot appreciate the skeleton laugh like those that did. But, I'm willing to accept it becasue, overall, my understanding is that Pantheon is a game that takes itself seriously. Therefore, I trust VR to not go overboard with it. I never even considered the name Fuzzruckus to be 'humorous.' It just seemed like a memorable naming convention used for elite characters or used for races like trolls, gnomes, etc. 

WoW went overboard so I engaged in a suspension of disbelief in order to enjoy the game. I'm not worried about Pantheon in that sense though. I have other concerns.

• 219 posts
    June 25, 2023 5:21 PM PDT

Leevolen said:Of the same opinion overall. Humorous stuff can definitely work but in the right setting. I wouldn't want a game world that didn't have any, but at the same time, prefer when it's used sparingly. I would rather developers erred on the side of caution, using less instead of more by default because it can undermine the intended affect of an area, like one of those background mistakes in a film, distracting from the scene.

I'm kind of in agreement.

Like take stuff like Avengers: Endgame. It's got a serious tone, but also has occasional humor to lighten the mood. It can be tricky, but mixing humor, with the right timing, can make even serious situations and narratives even better. BUT, on the other hand, if you get the balance wrong, it's better to get it wrong on the side of serious, since getting it wrong on the side of too much humor can completely ruin the atmosphere and mood.

I definitely think some humor in a lot of places, even in some serious places, can be just what the doctor ordered. But it requires a balance and awareness of when a lot is needed, none is needed, or just a bit is needed. It's like cooking with pepper or something. Some dishes don't need any, some need a lot, most need a little, but having too much is often worse than too little.

• 8 posts
    July 17, 2023 5:28 PM PDT

Oh don't worry,

When THE BOYS run up on you out there in that beautiful vast open world. Things are gonna get grim and dangerous real fast. There will be no negotiation or parley.

The PVP machine cannot be stoped! Even better if it's the semi loot kind of PVP <3

This post was edited by SkarloRD at July 17, 2023 5:32 PM PDT